Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Heat Wave - Weather Watch

Comments

• Options
    Does anyone know the status of Dartford Heath?
  • Options
    Dartford heath turn off, big fire on the A2.
    Have friends in the Fire Service and have been told they are struggling to keep up with it.

New Cross brigade/watch have been called in recently to help tackle it.

I've just been out and showered our grassy areas and decking to minimise any risk.
    Do you live in Dartford, BBW ?

Or do you have a caravan on the Heath ? :-)

Fortunately not, Fanny. Our grass is pretty dry so the fires in Dartford have just put me on alert. Easy to forget how warm it is outside when you're sitting in an air conditioned living room  :#
  • Options
    cabbles said:
    I wonder if we had fires like that one in Dartford back in 76
    I'm absolutely sure there must have been. Where I lived there was a large patch of grassland and the fire brigade would be out there regularly waving their beaters about and lecturing the local kids not to play with matches. 
  • Options
    BBC saying the Dartford fire is in Wennington.

Never heard of it. They says its close to Joyce Green so must be near the old hospital site but looking at local maps I can't see a Wennington. 
  • Options
    edited July 2022
    Wennington opposite Dartford Marshes

• Options
    wennington is in essex 
  • Options

Never heard of it. They says its close to Joyce Green so must be near the old hospital site but looking at local maps I can't see a Wennington. 
    Neither have I and I used to live on temple hill, if Joyce green could be some of the new factories / housing near the tunnel / John Dunn road? That leads from the Thames road to the tunnel.
  • Options

They are reporting it wrong - Wennington is in Essex, not far from Dartford Tunnel 

There is a fire on Dartford Marshes, where Joyce Green used to be - there is a new housing estate there, and the fire got close, but under control now I think

Also Dartford Heath is on fire - not unusual, however it looks like a very big one compared to normal 
  • Options

This is the view from West Thamesmead, where you can see there is smoke coming from at least two different spots 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Have friends in the Fire Service and have been told they are struggling to keep up with it.

I've just been out and showered our grassy areas and decking to minimise any risk.

Fortunately not, Fanny. Our grass is pretty dry so the fires in Dartford have just put me on alert. Easy to forget how warm it is outside when you're sitting in an air conditioned trailer  :#
    ;)
  • Options
    There's a Twitter video of a 'fire in Dartford' and I'm sure it's on the west end of the Bridge estate, between the Thames and University Way. That has potential to spread around those dry grasslands and marsh...
  • Options
    edited July 2022
    ***IT'S RAINING*** in The New Forest, thunderstorms on their way East, so much more refreshing... B)
  • Options
    Gribbo said:

Fortunately not, Fanny. Our grass is pretty dry so the fires in Dartford have just put me on alert. Easy to forget how warm it is outside when you're sitting in an air conditioned trailer  :#
    ;)
    Completely unprovoked and uncalled for  :|
  • Options
    Just been sent some video of the A2 Dartford Heath fire - wow - major incident - can’t believe they haven’t shut the A2 !!!
  • Options
    edited July 2022

• Options
    Just been sent some video of the A2 Dartford Heath fire - wow - major incident - can’t believe they haven’t shut the A2 !!!
    A guy who lives near there has posted photos on twitter to say it's been put out.
  • Options
    edited July 2022
    JamesSeed said:
    JamesSeed said:
    If it was just about learning to live with temperatures like these for a few days, or even a few weeks a year it wouldn’t be such a big deal, but it’s more about global crop failures and threats to the water supply. And the related mass migrations and wars that could result from them. 
    The temperatures that we’re seeing today could be dwarfed over the next four or five years. 
    What evidence do you have to make this statement, dwarfing 40c is a pretty serious number, and in 4-5 years??
    Methane being predicted to be released from the ground in Siberia in vast quantities is just one factor. The global temperatures we’re seeing now were predicted to happen in ten to twenty years time. Everything is accelerating dramatically. 
    And for people who talk about 1976 temperatures, here’s how much higher they are now  

Whilst I understand where you are coming from James the point I was making is you said 40c would be dwarfed in the next 4-5 years. Dwarfing 40c in my eyes would be 60c plus and you expect this in 4-5 years?

I may be coming across as pedantic however it is throw away lines such as yours that don't do anyone any favours.  
    Fair point perhaps, but to me 45 or 50 dwarfs 40. Perhaps there’s a better word than dwarfs. Replaces? Supersedes? Tops?

Either way, if it’s that hot here, how hot will it be in less temperate zones? 
    My close friend has worked on quite a few climate change documentaries, and was warning about this stuff in the late nineties. He actually sold up in London and has built a climate proof house on the Isle of Skye, where he feels the weather will be more manageable, for a few years at least.

Scientists have been working on crops that’ll grow in extreme conditions for some time, but I expect it won’t be long before certain crops become much harder to grow, making them far more expensive because of supply and demand. 
  • Options
    JamesSeed said:
    JamesSeed said:
    JamesSeed said:
    If it was just about learning to live with temperatures like these for a few days, or even a few weeks a year it wouldn’t be such a big deal, but it’s more about global crop failures and threats to the water supply. And the related mass migrations and wars that could result from them. 
    The temperatures that we’re seeing today could be dwarfed over the next four or five years. 
    What evidence do you have to make this statement, dwarfing 40c is a pretty serious number, and in 4-5 years??
    Methane being predicted to be released from the ground in Siberia in vast quantities is just one factor. The global temperatures we’re seeing now were predicted to happen in ten to twenty years time. Everything is accelerating dramatically. 
    And for people who talk about 1976 temperatures, here’s how much higher they are now  

Whilst I understand where you are coming from James the point I was making is you said 40c would be dwarfed in the next 4-5 years. Dwarfing 40c in my eyes would be 60c plus and you expect this in 4-5 years?

I may be coming across as pedantic however it is throw away lines such as yours that don't do anyone any favours.  
    Fair point perhaps, but to me 45 or 50 dwarfs 40. Perhaps there’s a better word than dwarfs. Replaces? Supersedes? Tops?

Either way, if it’s that hot here, how hot will it be in less temperate zones? 
    My close friend has worked on quite a few climate change documentaries, and was warning about this stuff in the late nineties. He actually sold up in London and has built a climate proof house on the Isle of Skye, where he feels the weather will be more manageable, for a few years at least.

Scientists have been working on crops that’ll grow in extreme conditions for some time, but I expect it won’t be long before certain crops become much harder to grow, making them far more expensive because of supply and demand. 
    Thanks James, great reply.

As a side note we better stop using the word "dwarf", don't want to upset admin  B)
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Interesting, as I never realised that dry air can affect rain reaching the ground

‘An line’?

Has the heat affected the Met Office grammar department?
  • Options
    House fires aren't weather dependent...
  • Options
    Ripping through homes?!

Then goes on to say “it appears one house has been destroyed”

two totally different things 

• Options
    House fires aren't weather dependent...
    Ever heard how forest fires work? 

Several major fires across London ain't a coincidence. 
  • Options
    Croydon said:
    Infuriating listening to some people talk about this weather. Even seen a columnist in the Daily Mail calling the Met Office 'woke' for the extreme weather warnings. THE COUNTRY IS LITERALLY ON FIRE YOU DICKHEAD
    Seen multiple comments tagged to videos  suggesting that the fires have been started on purpose.