Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Heat Wave - Weather Watch

Comments

• Options
    29.3 at 10am in NW Kent.
  • Options
    Don't go out in this to do anything physical. The fact I'm doing so to practice my cricket is purely pathological 
  • Options
    Wilma said:
    I drive to work, then walk over to the gym for a swim in the outdoor pool. It was very warm this morning walking over, about 22 degrees at 8.00am here in Southampton. It's also a flying ant day! 
    Fully 12 days behind us in Bexley.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    The thing about '76 is the peak was around 36, and most of the time it was constantly in the early 30s, never did it get close to this. 
  • Options
    Cantersaddick, Am I a boomer as I was born in ‘53. ‘76 was a long hot summer with a continuous drought from mid May from memory, whilst the temperature wasn’t as hot as now, the drought and associated fun of the government suggesting sharing a bath with a friend made it memorable to most of us in our 20’s. I worked in Croydon and passed Thornton Heath which was alight under ground for 6 months, we had a standpipe outside our house, where you could fill your kettle up from or your bath if you were enthusiastic or in love. 

It’s memorable to me for 3 reasons (these are listed in order of importance) in cricket I got my first five for, secondly I scored my first 50, and lastly I got engaged. Whilst on the cricket theme it was a very wet early season and we recorded our most rained off games in a season. Have a good day losing your shit as you so elegantly put it, and I think up the boomer might be appropriate. 😀. 

Oh and the winter of ‘63 was good as well, but perhaps that’s for a more appropriate day.
  • Options
    76 was a long warm summer, but not doesn't feature in one of the 10 hottest days in Met Office history

• Options
    Hottest place in England yesterday - Nantwich!

Phew what a scorcher!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    bobmunro said:
    Please don't refer to people as "boomer". Its lazy and aggravating beyond belief...
    But yet almost entirely true. 

The same people are allowed to refer to snowflake millennials etc. 
    Oi - you snowflake millennial!

Has anyone mentioned 1976 yet? - and what about that winter in 63? 
    In the name of fairness, don't forget to call out the gammons getting the gammon card out early by calling others gammons.
  • Options
    Cantersaddick, Am I a boomer as I was born in ‘53. ‘76 was a long hot summer with a continuous drought from mid May from memory, whilst the temperature wasn’t as hot as now, the drought and associated fun of the government suggesting sharing a bath with a friend made it memorable to most of us in our 20’s. I worked in Croydon and passed Thornton Heath which was alight under ground for 6 months, we had a standpipe outside our house, where you could fill your kettle up from or your bath if you were enthusiastic or in love. 

It’s memorable to me for 3 reasons (these are listed in order of importance) in cricket I got my first five for, secondly I scored my first 50, and lastly I got engaged. Whilst on the cricket theme it was a very wet early season and we recorded our most rained off games in a season. Have a good day losing your shit as you so elegantly put it, and I think up the boomer might be appropriate. 😀. 

Oh and the winter of ‘63 was good as well, but perhaps that’s for a more appropriate day.
    I'm not denying it was memorable. But its the same argument as with covid anecdotes does not equal scientific fact. 

As I said it was clearly much more prolonged which will have had other impacts but in terms of peaks it was nowhere near (not even in the top 10 recorded) and it was incredibly localised as the charts I posted showed so the global impact of it on the climate would have been much more minimal.

I more focusing towards people who are using their memories of 1976 as some kind argument that climate change isnt happening.

Not everyone who was born in the boomer generation falls into the "boomer" category. Some are incredibly progressive in their views and try to understand the concerns of the generations that they brought into the world. Others simply do not which infuriates the younger generations because it was the boomer generation that oversaw the biggest accumulation of wealth in history whilst also systematically destroying the environment and leaving mountains of public debt and little to no economic opportunities for their own children.
  • Options
    31.3 at 11am.
  • Options
    Please don't refer to people as "boomer". Its lazy and aggravating beyond belief...

I am a snowflake woke liberal but also a boomer according to the people that like to use definitions as a way of disenfranchising cohorts of people without justification so you can all fuck off. 
    Take a bow, sir. Summed up in a nut-shell.

*doffs cap*
  • Options
    There are some problems with all this generation labelling nonsense:
    • It has the effect of bundling people together making it look as if they all have the same outlook, purely as an accident of birth; obviously they haven't. It might be sufficient to make some broad marketing generalisations, but it's not going to cut the mustard with the sophisticated analyses required here on Charlton Life. 
    • It really doesn't work at all for people born between 1965 and 1980 because as soon as someone mentions what Generation X think, all you can do is roll your eyes and think what an opinionated bastard Billy Idol must be to keep having all these thoughts. Except for Generation Alpha who have no idea who Billy Idol is. 
  • Options

I am a snowflake woke liberal but also a boomer according to the people that like to use definitions as a way of disenfranchising cohorts of people without justification so you can all fuck off. 
    Take a bow, sir. Summed up in a nut-shell.

*doffs cap*
    👏🏻 Boom!

Oh…
  • Options
    The observations in this thread are handy. The predictable squabbling..not so much so.