Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Heat Wave - Weather Watch

Comments

• Options
    Rules
  • Options
    Just back from the Lambeth country show, being out in that for a couple of hours I can't imagine what another 10 degrees on top will be like. Saw plenty of people struggling as it was. Unsure if that was down to the cider with unknown ABV.
  • Options
    30 degrees in Bradford at the moment.  It's not even sunny.  We have been told to WFH because they can't guarantee they can keep the office cool enough.  It's only been open a year.  They have closed all the blinds and had the aircon on all weekend.

The front of our house is always cool but even that is in the mid 20s.
  • Options
    Sounds like the Charlton team were trying this out yesterday  :*

• Options
    Scorchio on the Isle of Wight but a nice cooling breeze off the sea. Having two foot thick stone walls can be a blessing. It’s nice and relatively cool indoors. Nothing more strenuous today than lifting a tinny or two watching the golf. Good luck if you are out/need to do anything arduous. 
    That's where I've been! 

Except I walked from Wroxall to Sandown. Which is, like, the entire south east coastline.

Thankfully I've had a shandy so I'm fine 
  • Options
    lonman said:
    Must say I agree with the Tory MP who's now copping flack for saying people are being snowflakes for complaining about the weather. I don't ever remember the over the top news coverage, schools closing and the general bitching and moaning when we've had hot weather before. It's going to be hot for a few days, everyone should keep a sense of perspective and get over it. Lord help me if it was raining everyone would be saying what a shitty summer it is. Now it's hot, loads are moaning about that too.  
    We're British though so we love to moan. We moan when it's too hot, moan when it's too cold, moan when it rains and moan when it snows and the country falls apart. 

We're basically only happy when it's a reasonably mild and sunny day. 20 degrees max will do us.
  • Options
    lonman said:
    Must say I agree with the Tory MP who's now copping flack for saying people are being snowflakes for complaining about the weather. I don't ever remember the over the top news coverage, schools closing and the general bitching and moaning when we've had hot weather before. It's going to be hot for a few days, everyone should keep a sense of perspective and get over it. Lord help me if it was raining everyone would be saying what a shitty summer it is. Now it's hot, loads are moaning about that too.  
    We're British though so we love to moan. We moan when it's too hot, moan when it's too cold, moan when it rains and moan when it snows and the country falls apart. 

We're basically only happy when it's a reasonably mild and sunny day. 20 degrees max will do us.
    Personally I like 20-30 it's comfortable. The government / government agencies treat us all like a bunch of imbeciles. I refer to the Met Office posting above. If you're 25 stone, never done a lick of exercise in your life are you going to start marathon training at midday tomorrow ? Clearly the Met Office think that's a possibility so need to point out it might not be the best idea. Couldn't make it up.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    lonman said:
    So your advice to this snowflake is.
    Tomorrow and Tuesday when its hitting high 30s I should be outside working in a sun trap between the hours of 8am till 4.
    I'll pm you the address and you can come along and help.
  • Options
    clb74 said:
    lonman said:
    Tomorrow and Tuesday when its hitting high 30s I should be outside working in a sun trap between the hours of 8am till 4.
    My advice would be, do what's best for you. If you don't want to work in a sun trap, don't. I certainly wouldn't. But I don't need to be told that by the Met Office, the news, the government or anybody else. If you're unsure, a few posts up someone has provided a link for the Met Office if you need extra guidance ; )

• Options
    Been up in London this afternoon with my wife, daughter and FIL. Had a lovely Italian in Covent Gdn, then a couple of beers in a nearby pub. Am at the Roger Daltrey gig this evening and @Solidgone has not long texted me to meet up for a beer. Unfortunately won’t get there in time as only just saw my wife and daughter onto a train at Charing X. Found a shady spot on a deckchair in the shade at the park by the embankment to try a cool off for a bit.
  • Options
    MrOneLung said:
    Have turned the hot tub down from 41 to 38 degrees for later.  
    Mines been on 36 for a couple of weeks now, how have you been using it at 41???
    It has been off a few weeks as been having building work done. Only filled it back up the other day but not used it yet. 
  • Options
    Wouldn't it be odd if the met office didn't give any advice about extreme weather? You don't have to read or take notice of it.
    How many people are clicking on the Met Office website and saying, wow this advice is a game changer. Who'd a thought, drink water, apply sunscreen and don't go running at midday. Common Sense my friend. 2 days of 'extreme' weather the country is going bonkers.
  • Options
    Wait till the snow gets here ! 
  • Options
    MrOneLung said:
    Wait till the snow gets here ! 
    It's the hysteria that follows the snow that always gets me :smile:

• Options
    lonman said:
    Wouldn't it be odd if the met office didn't give any advice about extreme weather? You don't have to read or take notice of it.
    How many people are clicking on the Met Office website and saying, wow this advice is a game changer. Who'd a thought, drink water, apply sunscreen and don't go running at midday. Common Sense my friend. 2 days of 'extreme' weather the country is going bonkers.
    Well I for one am looking forward to
    absolutely no one dying of heat related illness over the next couple of days then as everyone uses their ‘common sense’.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    It’s 2 days ffs 🤣
  • Options
    edited July 2022
    aliwibble said:
    lonman said:
    clb74 said:
    lonman said:
    My advice would be, do what's best for you. If you don't want to work in a sun trap, don't. I certainly wouldn't. But I don't need to be told that by the Met Office, the news, the government or anybody else. If you're unsure, a few posts up someone has provided a link for the Met Office if you need extra guidance ; )
    The problem is, if you work for an employer who's an arsehole, you need to be able to point to the Government guidance to justify not working in a sun trap, as otherwise you'll be forced to. It's not just going to be hot for a few days, it's going to be record-breakingly hot, in a country where our infrastructure isn't remotely designed for it. Given the issues the NHS is currently having due to Covid, the last thing it needs is a load of additional pressure due to people dropping like flies with heatstroke unnecessarily.
    Clearly and I agree. However, the news/media coverage of this is just mad. I think from scanning headlines it's only going to be high 30s for a couple of days. I tend not to watch the news, 24 hour coverage of death, disasters and bollocks all hyped up to cause discomfort in people is not my cup of tea.

Before I get some right wing, defund the BBC bullshit thrown at me. My politics is middle of the road, I voted remain, Don't like Boris Johnson or Trump. 

I'm sure you will get the odd person who dies from the heat, but you'll get more who are killed crossing the road. I don't see mass hysteria around using Zebra crossings.

• Options
    edited July 2022

• Options
    It’s 2 days ffs 🤣
    AMEN, That's my point. 
  • Options
    It’s almost like they’re trying to take the attention away from more important matters….
  • Options
    lonman said:
    It’s 2 days ffs 🤣
    AMEN, That's my point. 
    If it annoys you that people are getting worked up about the weather then why not just ignore it and go out and enjoy your life over the next couple of days as you normally would?

I guarantee that contrary to your views there will be no ‘mass hysteria’ and just your usual people acting ‘bonkers’ and you’ll be able to live your life and do pretty much exactly as you would do any other day of the week. 
  • Options
    It’s almost like they’re trying to take the attention away from more important matters….
    Clearly it's working. 
  • Options
    aliwibble said:
    lonman said:
    clb74 said:
    lonman said:
    The problem is, if you work for an employer who's an arsehole, you need to be able to point to the Government guidance to justify not working in a sun trap, as otherwise you'll be forced to. It's not just going to be hot for a few days, it's going to be record-breakingly hot, in a country where our infrastructure isn't remotely designed for it. Given the issues the NHS is currently having due to Covid, the last thing it needs is a load of additional pressure due to people dropping like flies with heatstroke unnecessarily.
    If the nhs can’t cope with two days of hot weather then god help us.