Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Heat Wave - Weather Watch

Comments

• Options
    In France our car indicated it reached 40c. 

• Options
    A severe weather warning for next Sunday to Tuesday .. at least

https://youtu.be/B7l40Prwixc
  • Options
    Bradford is currently hotter than Morocco...

We have been told by work to wfh on Monday and Tuesday if we can.
  • Options
    If I don’t post on Tuesday it’s because I’m sitting in the fridge, hope I can get Wi-Fi…
    Grab me a beer while you're in there.
  • Options
    What they do in Italy and other countries is close up in the heat of the day and open up at night. We  are in Italy now and JJ is getting his walks when the sun goes down.
  • Options
    It’s 39c here in France. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    We have closed our office on Monday and Tuesday and told staff to work  at home. If home working> 30 degrees not to work. It is a health and safety issue 

I work at Friends of the Earth. This weather is not normal and shows how climate change is affecting everyday life. 
  • Options
    It will be 37 degrees in Kent on Tuesday.

Not much can be done about it.

Drink a lot of water and try not to give a shit about it
  • Options
    It was 37 degrees on the TdF today as they cycled up mountains. 
  • Options
    When we were in England we walked from Hythe to Folkestone along the seafront and back in about 23c. Couldn't believe we both got sunburn.
    Considering we live in a country where it's regularly in the mid 30's and often into the middle 40's we rarely get sunburn even mowing five grassy acres every week. 

It's weird as I thought the ozone layer here was supposed to be thin but the sun seems to be more intense these days in Europe.

Australians find it amusing when they see UK weather warnings for heat emergencies at 30c, that's a typical summers day here, but the effects of the sun seem so different now in Europe. Stay in the shade and slip slap slop people.
  • Options
    TEL said:
    Australians find it amusing when they see UK weather warnings for heat emergencies at 30c, that's a typical summers day here, but the effects of the sun seem so different now in Europe. Stay in the shade and slip slap slop people.
    To be fair I found it equally amusing when I went to Sydney in June about a decade ago - I was walking around like it was a lovely cool spring / summers day - Anyone local I interacted with, kept asking me how I wasnt so cold.

This aint winter mate, now this... is winter (shows them a picture of SouthEastern trains being delayed by a single snow flake).

Okay maybe that bit wasnt true
  • Options
    Forecasts trending up again on Mon and Tues. 40c doesn't look out the question and I dare say it will be hit somewhere for a split second at least.
  • Options

A red extreme heat warning has been issued by the Met Office for parts of England next week, meaning a risk to life is likely as temperatures could hit 40C (104F).

It points to there being a danger to life, with risk of illness not limited to vulnerable people.

This highest warning, covering London and parts of central England, warns of widespread impacts to people's lives.

The heatwave could cause disruption to travel and infrastructure.

The red warning, which is in place on Monday and Tuesday, covers London and the Midlands and goes as far north as Manchester and York.

It means substantial changes in working practices and daily routines will be required, the Met Office said.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-62177458

• Options
    I'm supposed to be going to East Grinstead hospital on Monday for a check up on my eyes (corneal surgery over the past few years). 1.30 pm is my appointment time but I'm usually there at least 2 hours, meaning my car will be sat in the car park for 2.5-3hrs during the heat of the day. Thinking about not going but appointments there are like hens teeth so will just have to suck it up. If you dont hear from me after Monday please pay your respects with dignity....😃
  • Options
    Wondering now what the deal will be with schools......... having a load of kids running around in the playground is a recipe for heatstroke etc. 

Normally a red weather warning automatically would mean things like schools close (ie big snowstorms etc).
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Wondering now what the deal will be with schools......... having a load of kids running around in the playground is a recipe for heatstroke etc. 

Normally a red weather warning automatically would mean things like schools close (ie big snowstorms etc).
    So our school is letting kids come in their own clothes and not uniform, shutting blinds in rooms, fans and no outdoor playtime or PE on Monday and Tuesday
  • Options

I thought these days kids spent their break times on their phones, gaming and watching TikTok videos!
  • Options
    Hearing a lot of schools are closing after risk assessments around heat management and consultation with both Public Health and the local authorities.
  • Options
    My work are advising to make sure we have our Laptops to WFH if the trains are screwed. I think i'd rather be in the air conditioned office thank you!
  • Options

Unusually this hot spell is expected to be accompanied by very low humidity which I understand makes heatstroke less likely (don’t trust me, I’m not a doctor!).

Here are some effects of low humidity.

”When the air you're breathing contains too little moisture, the mucus membranes lining your nasal and respiratory passages dry out. This can cause nose bleeds, sore throats, congestion and coughing, and worsen asthma, allergies, chronic bronchitis and COPD. Parched skin.”
  • Options
    Saulc23 said:
    My work are advising to make sure we have our Laptops to WFH if the trains are screwed. I think i'd rather be in the air conditioned office thank you!
    The journey to and from work might not be very pleasant though! 
  • Options

Whilst we may well experience record maximum temperatures it is the expected very high nighttime minimums that will cause more health problems because of the heat stored in the bricks and mortar of our homes, especially those with higher levels of insulation.