Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Heat Wave - Weather Watch

Comments

• Options
    edited July 2022
    lonman said:
    Wouldn't it be odd if the met office didn't give any advice about extreme weather? You don't have to read or take notice of it.
    How many people are clicking on the Met Office website and saying, wow this advice is a game changer. Who'd a thought, drink water, apply sunscreen and don't go running at midday. Common Sense my friend. 2 days of 'extreme' weather the country is going bonkers.
    Well I for one am looking forward to
    absolutely no one dying of heat related illness over the next couple of days then as everyone uses their ‘common sense’.
    Well I'm going to sound heartless here. Stupid is as stupid does. If someone decides to sit in their deck chair in 40 degree heat and drink 6 Special Brews and they die. I for one will not be losing any sleep over it. Most sane people will get out of this OK. We have 2 days of hot temperatures I'm sure everyone on CharltonLife will be alive on Wednesday and not succumbed to a 'heat related illness' God give me strength : :smile:
  • Options
    aliwibble said:
    lonman said:
    clb74 said:
    lonman said:
    Must say I agree with the Tory MP who's now copping flack for saying people are being snowflakes for complaining about the weather. I don't ever remember the over the top news coverage, schools closing and the general bitching and moaning when we've had hot weather before. It's going to be hot for a few days, everyone should keep a sense of perspective and get over it. Lord help me if it was raining everyone would be saying what a shitty summer it is. Now it's hot, loads are moaning about that too.  
    So your advice to this snowflake is.
    Tomorrow and Tuesday when its hitting high 30s I should be outside working in a sun trap between the hours of 8am till 4.
    I'll pm you the address and you can come along and help.
    My advice would be, do what's best for you. If you don't want to work in a sun trap, don't. I certainly wouldn't. But I don't need to be told that by the Met Office, the news, the government or anybody else. If you're unsure, a few posts up someone has provided a link for the Met Office if you need extra guidance ; )
    The problem is, if you work for an employer who's an arsehole, you need to be able to point to the Government guidance to justify not working in a sun trap, as otherwise you'll be forced to. It's not just going to be hot for a few days, it's going to be record-breakingly hot, in a country where our infrastructure isn't remotely designed for it. Given the issues the NHS is currently having due to Covid, the last thing it needs is a load of additional pressure due to people dropping like flies with heatstroke unnecessarily.
    If the nhs can’t cope with two days of hot weather then god help us.
    They will cope. Whether they can cope with that and COVID and 12 years of intentional destabilisation of the welfare state is another issue. 
  • Options
    aliwibble said:
    lonman said:
    clb74 said:
    lonman said:
    Must say I agree with the Tory MP who's now copping flack for saying people are being snowflakes for complaining about the weather. I don't ever remember the over the top news coverage, schools closing and the general bitching and moaning when we've had hot weather before. It's going to be hot for a few days, everyone should keep a sense of perspective and get over it. Lord help me if it was raining everyone would be saying what a shitty summer it is. Now it's hot, loads are moaning about that too.  
    Tomorrow and Tuesday when its hitting high 30s I should be outside working in a sun trap between the hours of 8am till 4.
    My advice would be, do what's best for you. If you don't want to work in a sun trap, don't. I certainly wouldn't. But I don't need to be told that by the Met Office, the news, the government or anybody else. If you're unsure, a few posts up someone has provided a link for the Met Office if you need extra guidance ; )
    The problem is, if you work for an employer who's an arsehole, you need to be able to point to the Government guidance to justify not working in a sun trap, as otherwise you'll be forced to. It's not just going to be hot for a few days, it's going to be record-breakingly hot, in a country where our infrastructure isn't remotely designed for it. Given the issues the NHS is currently having due to Covid, the last thing it needs is a load of additional pressure due to people dropping like flies with heatstroke unnecessarily.
    If the nhs can’t cope with two days of hot weather then god help us.
    They will cope. Whether they can cope with that and COVID and 12 years of intentional destabilisation of the welfare state is another issue. 
    Maybe time for a change then 
  • Options
    aliwibble said:
    lonman said:
    clb74 said:
    lonman said:
    Spot on.
  • Options
    lonman said:
    clb74 said:
    lonman said:

The weather warnings issued by the Met Office are the brilliant idea of the Tory government.  They have to issue them or they won't get their funding.  Having said that, some of them make sense especially advance warnings to local government etc of snow.  As for the thunderstorm warnings .....
  • Options
    edited July 2022
    Daughter sat in Manchester A&E from 6pm Wednesday until 9am Thursday, before being seen by the first doctor. It was promptly ascertained that she has appendicitis and was booked in for an emergency operation. Didn't get a bed until 10pm Thursday night, but then kicked out of bed on Friday morning as needed for other 'more' poorly folk and asked to sit on a chair until 10pm Friday night before another bed materialised. She's still at the hospital sat in a bed awaiting surgery...... That op was booked as immediately required on Thursday morning. The NHS is coping just nicely already without a heatwave. Lol. 
  • Options
    edited July 2022
    It just pissed it down 5 miles down the road from here for 10 minutes. Completely missed my garden.

Spot the Charlton fan.
  • Options
    edited July 2022
    Edit: Absolute misreading by me!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Daughter sat in Manchester A&E from 6pm Wednesday until 9am Thursday, before being seen by the first doctor. It was promptly ascertained that she has appendicitis and was booked in for an emergency operation. Didn't get a bed until 10pm Thursday night, but then kicked out of bed on Friday morning as needed for other 'more' poorly folk and asked to sit on a chair until 10pm Friday night before another bed materialised. She's still at the hospital sat in a bed awaiting surgery...... That op was booked as immediately required on Thursday morning. The NHS is coping just nicely already without a heatwave. Lol. 
    That's absolutely terrible, and as someone who had appendicitis and was in agony and promptly had it removed, i can only hope she gets the op soon.
  • Options
    lonman said:
    lonman said:
    It’s 2 days ffs 🤣
    AMEN, That's my point. 
    If it annoys you that people are getting worked up about the weather then why not just ignore it and go out and enjoy your life over the next couple of days as you normally would?

I guarantee that contrary to your views there will be no ‘mass hysteria’ and just your usual people acting ‘bonkers’ and you’ll be able to live your life and do pretty much exactly as you would do any other day of the week. 
    Doesn't annoy me, it does amuse me. We have turned into a country of 'Wet Blankets' as my Grandma used to say. I am going about my day as usual tomorrow. Will be enjoying the sunshine. 
    But you’ve told me there’s mass hysteria and people acting bonkers. How are you going to be able ‘go about your day as usual’ if that’s happening?
  • Options
    It's my birthday tomorrow, but I shan't be taking to the streets in my suit 🫣
  • Options
    edited July 2022
    lonman said:
    lonman said:
    It’s 2 days ffs 🤣
    AMEN, That's my point. 
    If it annoys you that people are getting worked up about the weather then why not just ignore it and go out and enjoy your life over the next couple of days as you normally would?

I guarantee that contrary to your views there will be no ‘mass hysteria’ and just your usual people acting ‘bonkers’ and you’ll be able to live your life and do pretty much exactly as you would do any other day of the week. 
    Doesn't annoy me, it does amuse me. We have turned into a country of 'Wet Blankets' as my Grandma used to say. I am going about my day as usual tomorrow. Will be enjoying the sunshine. 
    But you’ve told me there’s mass hysteria and people acting bonkers. How are you going to be able ‘go about your day as usual’ if that’s happening?
    I'll be fine, because a lot of people will be thinking like you and not venturing out. That's my definition of acting bonkers. Don't get me wrong if you're going to be doing physical work outside then it maybe sensible not to attempt it. However, I would point out in other countries this is hot but not insane. A Friend of mine in Arizona is going about their usual day in temperatures of 115f. 
  • Options
    edited July 2022
    lonman said:
    lonman said:
    lonman said:
    It’s 2 days ffs 🤣
    AMEN, That's my point. 

I'll be fine, because a lot of people will be thinking like you and not venturing out. 
    So why are you so annoyed, sorry I meant amused, when it will have literally zero impact on you if people don’t venture outside?

And you are right, I am working at home on Monday, though will have to venture outside to pick my son up from childcare. However on Tuesday I’ll be cycling from home in Eltham to work in Waterloo, and will be stopping past Blackheath on the way back for a pint with mates. 

Want to join?

Edit: Also saw you added stuff about your friend in Arizona. So I’ll just leave this here from the state government:

https://www.azdhs.gov/preparedness/epidemiology-disease-control/extreme-weather/heat-safety/index.php#heat-home

Sounds bonkers and like mass hysteria to me.
  • Options
    lonman said:
    lonman said:
    lonman said:
    It’s 2 days ffs 🤣
    AMEN, That's my point. 

I'll be fine, because a lot of people will be thinking like you and not venturing out. 
    So why are you so annoyed, sorry I meant amused, when it will have literally zero impact on you if people don’t venture outside?

And you are right, I am working at home on Monday, though will have to venture outside to pick my son up from childcare. However on Tuesday I’ll be cycling from home in Eltham to work in Waterloo, and will be stopping past Blackheath on the way back for a pint with mates. 

Want to join?
    Could do. The Crown is my local. You're ignoring the 'scientific advice'. You must be the 'gammony' type that Colthe3rd is referring too.

I really am not annoyed. It is funny that there is this much hype and bluster over 2 days of 40degree weather.

That was my original point and I still stand by it.

• Options
    lonman said:
    lonman said:
    lonman said:
    It’s 2 days ffs 🤣
    AMEN, That's my point. 

Want to join?
    😱 You're going for a pint with mates and sky news are saying - 

"This isn't like a lovely hot day where we can put a bit of sunscreen on, go out and enjoy a swim and a meal outside.

"This is serious heat that could actually, ultimately, end in people's deaths because it is so ferocious"

I might have a word with the boss (wife) to see if I can sneak a few days off work.
  • Options
    lonman said:
    lonman said:
    lonman said:
    It’s 2 days ffs 🤣
    AMEN, That's my point. 

Want to join?
    😱 You're going for a pint with mates and sky news are saying - 

"This isn't like a lovely hot day where we can put a bit of sunscreen on, go out and enjoy a swim and a meal outside.

"This is serious heat that could actually, ultimately, end in people's deaths because it is so ferocious"

I might have a word with the boss (wife) to see if I can sneak a few days off work.
    And cycling to work : )

I am glad you have posted this. Don't watch SkyNews but I Imagined correctly that this is the kind of bullshit they would be spewing out. Just trying to frighten people. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    lonman said:
    Are you for real? 
  • Options
    lonman said:
    Are you for real? 
    I think its Wincy Willis
  • Options
    edited July 2022
    lonman said:
    Are you for real?
    Absolutely. I'll tell you what. You stay under your bed with the curtains shut and your ipad so you can post on this forum. I'll message you when it's all over.
  • Options
    Was best man at a wedding yesterday in a 3 piece very warm, may just be sweating out the alcohol but it’s getting warmer in bexleyheath
  • Options
    Unfortunately am on a site in thatcham for 8 for the start of a large project 
  • Options
    Not been through all the pages of this but has anyone blamed Brexit yet?
  • Options
    lonman said:
    lonman said:
    Are you for real?
    Absolutely. I'll tell you what. You stay under your bed with the curtains shut and your ipad so you can post on this forum. I'll message you when it's all over.
    You make it all sound so easy Ionman.
    Me.
    I'm not going in for the 2 days wont be getting paid as self employed.
    For me I'm not worried about the money.
    There will be not doubt thousands of self employed people up and down the country though who are worried about losing 2 days money and cant afford to lose that money.
    I should imagine a few of these will top up going to work and end up in a bad way.
    Over the next few days we will hear how many more thousands of 999 calls we have had over the 2 days.
    Not all of these calls will be the persons fault.

• Options
    clb74 said:
    lonman said:
    lonman said:
    Are you for real?
    You make it all sound so easy Ionman.
    Me.
    I'm not going in for the 2 days wont be getting paid as self employed.
    For me I'm not worried about the money.
    There will be not doubt thousands of self employed people up and down the country though who are worried about losing 2 days money and cant afford to lose that money.
    I should imagine a few of these will top up going to work and end up in a bad way.
    Over the next few days we will hear how many more thousands of 999 calls we have had over the 2 days.
    Not all of these calls will be the persons fault.

Not my intention. My opinion is that it's 2 hot days and yes I'm sure people will be affected and that's not great. However, there are things happening everyday that affect peoples lives both positively and negatively. That's life I'm afraid. I'm not being flippant about it, just seeing things as they are.

All the horror headlines, dire warnings and panic actually changes nothing. If anything probably makes people panic more.