Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Heat Wave - Weather Watch

Comments

• Options
    The temperatures expected are unprecedented and a risk to life for many old and vulnerable people.

It is important that everyone takes sensible precautions to look after themselves, so that our health services are not put under further pressure.

The comments I've seen on social media show that there are many who don't understand the problems these unprecedented temperatures will cause,  and they do need to be given advice on how to cope.
    Really not sure about this kind of advice!

https://www.instagram.com/reel/CgEarM5IQUo/?igshid=MDJmNzVkMjY=
  • Options
    Off_it said:
    Stig said:
    Why is it that when anything like this happens, it's always the ones going on about people getting hysterical that manage to sound the most hysterical?
    For someone who doesnt like being told what to do or think he certainly seems quite vocal about what everyone else should do or think.
    Sounds a bit snowflakey, right? 
  • Options
    colthe3rd said:
    Strange how the gammony types are calling all the scientific advice nonsense. Would have thought they'd be best staying out of the heat.
    Who on here are ‘the gammony’ types that you refer to ?

Telling people to not go out running in extreme heat is not scientific advice - it is common sense. 

A simple  ‘ the weather is gonna be really hot for a few days, be sensible and check on the elderly and vulnerable’ type message would be fine. 

• Options
    Wouldn't it be odd if the met office didn't give any advice about extreme weather? You don't have to read or take notice of it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L3dxMGzt5mU
  • Options
    lonman said:
    clb74 said:
    lonman said:
    lonman said:
    Must say I agree with the Tory MP who's now copping flack for saying people are being snowflakes for complaining about the weather. I don't ever remember the over the top news coverage, schools closing and the general bitching and moaning when we've had hot weather before. It's going to be hot for a few days, everyone should keep a sense of perspective and get over it. Lord help me if it was raining everyone would be saying what a shitty summer it is. Now it's hot, loads are moaning about that too.  
    Are you for real?
    Absolutely. I'll tell you what. You stay under your bed with the curtains shut and your ipad so you can post on this forum. I'll message you when it's all over.
    You make it all sound so easy Ionman.
    Me.
    I'm not going in for the 2 days wont be getting paid as self employed.
    For me I'm not worried about the money.
    There will be not doubt thousands of self employed people up and down the country though who are worried about losing 2 days money and cant afford to lose that money.
    I should imagine a few of these will top up going to work and end up in a bad way.
    Over the next few days we will hear how many more thousands of 999 calls we have had over the 2 days.
    Not all of these calls will be the persons fault.

Not my intention. My opinion is that it's 2 hot days and yes I'm sure people will be affected and that's not great. However, there are things happening everyday that affect peoples lives both positively and negatively. That's life I'm afraid. I'm not being flippant about it, just seeing things as they are.

All the horror headlines, dire warnings and panic actually changes nothing. If anything probably makes people panic more.

Scare tactics. It's all meant to make people alarmed. Scared people consume more. Usual suspects get even richer. Wish I'd had shares in Pfizer before the dreaded plague was 'modelled' to kill most of the planet, for example.

Gonna be hot and unpleasant for those not used to it but do we need nannying to deal with it? Some of these comments have me wondering about the education system.
  • Options
    Looks like people are staying at home. Only 2 other people on the first 161 instead of the usual 10 or so and hardly any traffic.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited July 2022
    lonman said:
    Must say I agree with the Tory MP who's now copping flack for saying people are being snowflakes for complaining about the weather. I don't ever remember the over the top news coverage, schools closing and the general bitching and moaning when we've had hot weather before. It's going to be hot for a few days, everyone should keep a sense of perspective and get over it. Lord help me if it was raining everyone would be saying what a shitty summer it is. Now it's hot, loads are moaning about that too.  
    Down with..

*checks notes to see what the Churchill blitz spirit brigade are moaning about this week whilst simultaneously calling everyone else a snowflake*

..Warnings about weather from weather warnings people!

What do we want?!  Less warnings!! When do we want it?! Now!!  

#DefundTheWeatherman
    If it was just the weatherman issuing the warning that's fine. It's not though is it. Check sky news, BBC news, newspapers, Twitter. Anyone would think the world is ending tomorrow. It's a few hot days let's get over it.

I've not actually called anyone on here a snowflake.

I'm merely suggesting common sense is the best way to deal with this and have been shot down in flames for not following the scientific advice. The advice I read wasn't scientific, it was common sense.

Clearly youre the kind of chap that isn't too independent of mind. If my memory serves me correctly you believed all the brexit nonsense and voted for it, then got buyers remorse. So I'll be spared the lectures on snowflakes, gammons and the easily lead from you my friend. If this wasn't you I will retract the last paragraph.
  • Options
    Off_it said:
    Stig said:
    Why is it that when anything like this happens, it's always the ones going on about people getting hysterical that manage to sound the most hysterical?
    For someone who doesnt like being told what to do or think he certainly seems quite vocal about what everyone else should do or think.
    Not really, I made a comment that it's a few days of 'extreme' heat let's keep some perspective that's all it is and have been jumped on for it by the 'must be offended by something' brigade. I accept a weather warning is normal. You people seem to think 24 hour rolling news coverage, newspaper headlines, constant commentary, health warning shoved down your throat are required or stupid people might die. Stupid people die daily from doing stupid things. 
  • Options
    edited July 2022

• Options
    Surely got to be a cola calippo?
  • Options
    Maxibon. Debate over. 
  • Options
    edited July 2022
    lonman said:
    lonman said:
    Down with..

*checks notes to see what the Churchill blitz spirit brigade are moaning about this week whilst simultaneously calling everyone else a snowflake*

..Warnings about weather from weather warnings people!

What do we want?!  Less warnings!! When do we want it?! Now!!  

#DefundTheWeatherman
    If it was just the weatherman issuing the warning that's fine. It's not though is it. Check sky news, BBC news, newspapers, Twitter. Anyone would think the world is ending tomorrow. It's a few hot days let's get over it.

I've not actually called anyone on here a snowflake.

I'm merely suggesting common sense is the best way to deal with this and have been shot down in flames for not following the scientific advice. The advice I read wasn't scientific, it was common sense.

Clearly youre the kind of chap that isn't too independent of mind. If my memory serves me correctly you believed all the brexit nonsense and voted for it, then got buyers remorse. So I'll be spared the lectures on snowflakes, gammons and the easily lead from you my friend. If this wasn't you I will retract the last paragraph.
    My man, let’s not do brexit in here cos it’ll get even more silly.  

But seriously though, why you bothered about a warning?  What’s the worst that can happen?  Because the best that can happen is some idiots life is saved (I agree with what you said about idiots but idiots perhaps need warning).  
  • Options
    7am Sheff 
  • Options
    The 6.57 from Falconwood to London Bridge is a dream. Completely empty.

Not sure what the 18.05 will be like…
  • Options
    23.4 at 8am in sunny NW Kent having risen from a minimum of 13.7 at 4am.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Somehow my train in this morning is cooler than usual. Not sure I’ll be saying that on the way home at 6pm though.
  • Options
    26.6 at 9am.
  • Options
    Somehow my train in this morning is cooler than usual. Not sure I’ll be saying that on the way home at 6pm though.
    There's nothing cool about the Bexleyheath line mate ;)
  • Options
    Just reading about the 1911 heatwave, the only recorded temperature in the UK top 10 that wasn't since the 1990s (1976, who are they? Exaccccctly). They changed the working hours for quarry workers, there was widespread striking and people died. Proper softies back then.
  • Options
    McBobbin said:
    Just reading about the 1911 heatwave, the only recorded temperature in the UK top 10 that wasn't since the 1990s (1976, who are they? Exaccccctly). They changed the working hours for quarry workers, there was widespread striking and people died. Proper softies back then.

Good job we didn't have to rely on that generation to fight in a world war.
  • Options
    Photo that will appear in a paper somewhere today / tomorrow

• Options
    I drive to work, then walk over to the gym for a swim in the outdoor pool. It was very warm this morning walking over, about 22 degrees at 8.00am here in Southampton. It's also a flying ant day! 
  • Options
    Photo that will appear in a paper somewhere today / tomorrow

That is brilliant.