Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Heat Wave - Weather Watch

Comments

• Options
    Taken in context over time, these sorts of temperatures and the fact that since the turn of the millennium are becoming more common are quite scary and depressing really.  For me, anyway.

• Options
    clive said:
    Looks like you can go to the Peak District if you're in/around Manchester to avoid the worst of it haha
  • Options
    Off_it said:
    clb74 said:
    Why does it just have too be season ticket holder or buy match by match?
    Why is it not possible to do a 10 game ticket for the season?

Looks like the heat has got to someone!
    I've not even had a beer yet.
  • Options
    clive said:
    Is that the Red Wall politicians are always talking about?
  • Options
    clb74 said:
    Off_it said:
    clb74 said:
    Why does it just have too be season ticket holder or buy match by match?
    Why is it not possible to do a 10 game ticket for the season?

Looks like the heat has got to someone!
    I've not even had a beer yet.
    That explains it then - you need a cold one to stop you overheating!
  • Options
    cabbles said:
    Taken in context over time, these sorts of temperatures and the fact that since the turn of the millennium are becoming more common are quite scary and depressing really.  For me, anyway.

Don't know if anyone has already mentioned it but there was a stat on TV yesterday, which stated that from 1900 - 2002 there were only 8 years where the temperature in the UK reached 35°C or above. Since 2003 there have already been 7 years where 35°C has been reached and it looks like this year will be number 8.
    That really brought it home to me.
    Memory isn't the best method of determining if our climate is changing but I had this feeling that we were getting less rain or rain less often but when it did rain there was more of it. 

So I analysed my own station data, from 2004 to 2021.  I counted the number of days each year more than 12.7mm (0.5") was recorded.  To smooth out the results I calculated 5 year rolling averages.  The results are below. 

• Options
    I’m flying back to London this evening and looking  forward to any heat below 35c. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    The UK needed a bit of sunshine.

I guess this was the weather's way of saying
    "you want some?...alright you can f*ucking shove this heat up your ass and take it....oh, and now you're complaining. It's got too hot for you has it?
    .. careful what you wish for UK. Mugs"
  • Options
    It's bound to upset someone  :|   :)

• Options
    Usually play in a 6 a side football league on Mondays, but next week’s session has been cancelled.

Would have given it a go, but deep down know it’s the sensible decision. 
  • Options
    Hex said:

Whilst we may well experience record maximum temperatures it is the expected very high nighttime minimums that will cause more health problems because of the heat stored in the bricks and mortar of our homes, especially those with higher levels of insulation.
    Glad I’m away in Suffolk. Our bedroom at home is up in the eves and hot as hell when it’s hot. If I were at home I’d probably have to sleep in the garden.
  • Options
    It's bound to upset someone  :|   :)

Shetland / Orkney are the places to be  :)
  • Options
    It’s absolutely stifling in Blighty at the moment, I think I’m going to have to sleep with the window open.
  • Options
    For anyone looking to travel Monday and Tuesday next week, Network Rail have enforced a 50mph speed limit on pretty much all lines. So most journeys will be heavily affected.
  • Options
    TEL said:
    Australians find it amusing when they see UK weather warnings for heat emergencies at 30c, that's a typical summers day here, but the effects of the sun seem so different now in Europe. Stay in the shade and slip slap slop people.
    To be fair I found it equally amusing when I went to Sydney in June about a decade ago - I was walking around like it was a lovely cool spring / summers day - Anyone local I interacted with, kept asking me how I wasnt so cold.

This aint winter mate, now this... is winter (shows them a picture of SouthEastern trains being delayed by a single snow flake).

Okay maybe that bit wasnt true
    Yeah I often get asked why I'm in a t shirt when everyone is in coats and scarves. 

Bloody cold last night though 2c
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    IdleHans said:
    I may have to undo my top button
    This is the beginning of the end for civilisation.
  • Options
    Major said:
    Three example posts on the subject from elsewhere:

"It’s been over 43 degrees here in Marrakesh for many days now and it will stay for weeks. We are still alive. Hope all the UK snowflakes do not melt in your heatwave."

"How irresponsible of the government not to start evacuation flights for British tourists in Tenerife, Greece, Magaluf etc who at this moment are lying on their sunbeds blissfully unaware of the grave danger they are in."

"As I write this I am sitting at a hotel near Antalya, Turkey.

It was 42c yesterday at around 2pm. Yes, it was hot, but I sat under a brolly and drank some water until it cooled down a bit.

And look, here I am the very next day writing this post."

Forgot social media is for Amazingly stupid people to post stupid things 
  • Options
    Major said:

"It’s been over 43 degrees here in Marrakesh for many days now and it will stay for weeks. We are still alive. Hope all the UK snowflakes do not melt in your heatwave."

"How irresponsible of the government not to start evacuation flights for British tourists in Tenerife, Greece, Magaluf etc who at this moment are lying on their sunbeds blissfully unaware of the grave danger they are in."

It was 42c yesterday at around 2pm. Yes, it was hot, but I sat under a brolly and drank some water until it cooled down a bit.

I found some as well 

“All this crap abaat hot weather, if it’s getting warmer, why are our energy bills so high, we’ll benefit in the long run as we won’t need to heat our homes in winter”

”Just do what them Spaniards do, have a kip in the afternoon, close everything and then that means the pubs can stay open later in the evenings as well”

”These woke wimps.  Bit of sun never hurt nobody.  Global warming, it’s a term invented by big business so they can tell you how to live your lives, what energy you can and can’t use.  I’m not gonna be lectured by some stupid Swedish girl and the establishment.  If it’s hot, just put a hat on”
  • Options
    Second heatwave over here in Madrid, been 40-42 last couple of days, Thursday was the highest recorded temp since records began. It's HELL. Worst part is we're not hitting max temperature until 7-8pm, so you're looking at 35 degrees throughout the night once it's dropped down, impossible to sleep. 

And when you tell people back home its "Oh mate! Beautiful! Nice cold beer and sit outside a bar!"  Like I'm on holiday and not having to commute half way across the city in 37 degrees..... 😒
  • Options
    Rothko said:
    Major said:

Forgot social media is for Amazingly stupid people to post stupid things 
    They are not stupid though are they, The first two are jokey/piss takes out of our nanny society and the last one is typically what people do when on holiday in a hot country.