Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Sandgaard ownership discussion 2022-3 onwards (Meeting with CAST p138)

Comments

• edited October 2022
    DubaiCAFC said:
    Swisdom said:
    I was told this week that JfC is due a large pay rise after his next league appearance.  That’s why he is only in contention in the cups.  Simple as that.  

Source - some guy as close to the situation as you can get.
    Assuming it’s accurate why did we trigger the contract extension? Because we expected to sell in the transfer window and recoup some of of the costs of his salary whilst injured?

Seems a strange commercial tactic given we are led to believe player wages are known amongst and between clubs and agents. Can’t see how that was ever likely to pan out to our advantage. Don’t forget TS dues seemingly rely on Gallen on this side of things so seems a bit random. 

And didn’t Garner in an article with Cawley rebuff this suggestion?
    Garner not going to come out and say he can’t play him due to the finances around his contract is he??
    He did say that much of the player wage budget was used up though did he not?

As the EFL restricts that budget to 60% of turnover in L1, if we are operating close to the limit, no incoming owner can spend loads on players in January if, by paying their wages, we end up exceeding it.

It's reassuring to learn that a credible party has expressed an interest in buying us, but I'm not expecting either a quick sale or a quick fix given that constraint. At least there's cause for cautious optimism though.

A word of caution for anyone suggesting boycotting to send a message. If all the empty seats end up costing the Club in foregone turnover, it will have an adverse effect on that player wage budget. Of course, other factors may be considered more important at this time, but it should be taken into account when setting short term expectation levels for a future owner.
  • Does anyone know if Garner drives a Volvo?
  • Billionaire Shahid Khan in London today it seems. Owns Fulham, may want to expand into SE London? 

Probably here ahead of his NFL team playing in London at the end of the month. 
  • edited October 2022
    Billionaire Shahid Khan in London today it seems. Owns Fulham, may want to expand into SE London? 

This is from Tony Khan's (Shahid''s son) Wikipedia page -

"On February 22, 2017, Khan was named as vice-chairman and director of football operations of Fulham. He oversees the identification, evaluation, recruitment, general maintenance and signing of players for Fulham. Khan assumed these responsibilities following a period of advising the football operations at the club, particularly in the areas of analytics and research. Although Khan was not able to have an immediate effect (as it was after the January transfer window), Fulham only lost twice and went on a run that saw them finish the season in sixth place, where they were defeated in the play-off semi-final to Reading."

Ring any bells.....?

• Gribbo said:
    Billionaire Shahid Khan in London today it seems. Owns Fulham, may want to expand into SE London? 

This is from Tony Khan's (Shahid''s son) Wikipedia page -

"On February 22, 2017, Khan was named as vice-chairman and director of football operations of Fulham. He oversees the identification, evaluation, recruitment, general maintenance and signing of players for Fulham. Khan assumed these responsibilities following a period of advising the football operations at the club, particularly in the areas of analytics and research. Although Khan was not able to have an immediate effect (as it was after the January transfer window), Fulham only lost twice and went on a run that saw them finish the season in sixth place, where they were defeated in the play-off semi-final to Reading."

Ring any bells.....?

Yeah Shahid is like a very rich Thomas who had bought a football club, an NFL team and financed a wrestling company so his son can live his dream.  I honestly don't know where Tony gets the time to do all 3.
  • I didn't know Tony Khan was still actively involved at Fulham, remember Scott Parker being very public in criticising him. Thought he was just running AEW now. 
  • Not a bad ol'tub I suppose, no dancing girls though, sorry people.
  • JamesSeed said:
    For those not on Twitter: 
    https://www.votvonline.com/home/the-2022-23-blogs/16-10-sandgaard-is-left-looking-like-a-man-with-no-plan/
    (Apols if link already posted).

All the talk of JFC is fine, but until I’ve seen him play a few consecutive games I’m treating him almost like a new signing. Have no idea if his injuries have adversely affected him long term, but from the odd cup performances it’s possible. Can’t really tell until he gets a run in the team, which may of course never happen.
    Thanks for putting this link up.
  • Sponsored links:

• edited October 2022
    What is interesting from that graph, obvious really but Sandgaard doesn't do obvious, is that the best income year since 2008/2009 was in the Championship despite Covid and relegation. 
  • edited October 2022
    MarcusH26 said:
    I didn't know Tony Khan was still actively involved at Fulham, remember Scott Parker being very public in criticising him. Thought he was just running AEW now. 
    He is Vice Chairman and Director of Football Operations, and he also holds the roles of General Manager and Sporting Director, at Fulham and Senior Vice President of football and technology at Jacksonville Jaguars.

He is also owner, booker, producer and promoter of AEW.

All 3 are full time jobs that would normally be 7 day a week, 60+ hours, totally absorbing ones at that.

• RedChaser said:
    Swisdom said:
    I was told this week that JfC is due a large pay rise after his next league appearance.  That’s why he is only in contention in the cups.  Simple as that.  

Assuming it’s accurate why did we trigger the contract extension? Because we expected to sell in the transfer window and recoup some of of the costs of his salary whilst injured?

Seems a strange commercial tactic given we are led to believe player wages are known amongst and between clubs and agents. Can’t see how that was ever likely to pan out to our advantage. Don’t forget TS dues seemingly rely on Gallen on this side of things so seems a bit random. 

Yes here you go;  https://londonnewsonline.co.uk/ben-garner-charlton-midfielders-lack-of-league-one-game-time-not-down-to-contract-appearances-trigger/
    Garner rebutted the suggestion that JFC's non-selection wasn't for financial reasons, the implication being he isn't selected cos he's not good enough compared to our other midfielders.  Garner didn't comment on whether JFC's due a payrise/bonus.  Nor should he that's not for him to share.
    FWIW the suggestion JFC's less useful than McGrandles is preposterous.  Also completely ignores the fact we didn't have any fit/able leftbacks at the time and JFC has acquitted himself there on a couple of occasions.
    Cards on table: I have little doubt Garner will allow his selections to be determined by Sandgaard non footballing constraints.
  • Redrobo said:
    DubaiCAFC said:
    Swisdom said:

Garner not going to come out and say he can’t play him due to the finances around his contract is he??
    But saying the opposite (lying?) is a little different. Surely he could have side stepped it and said nothing.

But my main point is I find it an odd contract stipulation / criteria. I don't see JFC attracting a fee when we ourselves have picked up players for free so if we were anxious to avoid increased costs we would have cancelled the contract surely & let JFC negotiate a contract elsewhere?

It may exist but perhaps Garner isn't convinced he is the player for him regardless.
    I would guess the contract would have been extended before Garner was appointed.
    To cancel the contract would mean paying him the value, or at least a chunk of his remaining contract. 
    He would have to agree agree and presumably he would only do that if someone was prepared to meet his aspirations.
    The cheaper option I guess would be to loan him out and cross your fingers someone will pay you something or at least take him in January. The loan fell through but I would guess it will go through in January.
    If his wages would increase if we play him, it would be madness to do that if Garner wants him off the payroll.
    JFCs option was picked up on May 10th, Garner was appointed June 8th. 

The club picked up the option, no doubt because they thought he either had value or could play. The former proved not to be true, and the new manager thinks that he can’t play, at least not better than the other players. 

We can all have our opinion on the managers decision, but I do know that in the cup games I’ve seen him play in, nothing screamed out that he deserved a first team game. 
  • Gribbo said:
    Does anyone know if Garner drives a Volvo?
    He does - Sandgaard gave him a company one. 

About time he changed some of them bulbs in the floodlights and looked into the rusty PA speakers ffs
  • What is interesting from that graph, obvious really but Sandgaard doesn't do obvious, is that the best income year since 2008/2009 was in the Championship despite Covid and relegation. 
    It is completely down to TV and broadcasting rights and goes to show how valuable they are in the Championship now. Relegation from the Championship to League One is an absolute cliff drop when it comes to broadcasting revenue. 
  • Until tomorrow lads 👍🏻
  • Directors box looked particularly busy today.
  • Sponsored links:

• More importantly, was Sandgaard there? 
  • CafcWest said:
    Interesting that Peter Varney was there (as usual) but not in his regular seat for the first half…maybe entertaining…only took his seat for second half…
    Barclay commenting on Twitter too
  • I note Steve Gallen was next to Dougie Freedman - trying to keep him sweet no doubt. 

We don't want a repeat of the Conor Gallagher debacle. 
  • _MrDick said:
    More importantly, was Sandgaard there? 
    Martin was Thomas wasn’t (unless he was hiding ) 
  • Anyone hear anything takeover wise last night?
  • _MrDick said:
    More importantly, was Sandgaard there? 
    Martin was Thomas wasn’t (unless he was hiding ) 
    He wasn't under a desk.