Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Sandgaard ownership discussion 2022-3 onwards (Meeting with CAST p138)

Comments

• Options
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    swordfish said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    wmcf123 said:
    Dazzler21 said:
    wmcf123 said:
    wmcf123 said:
    paulfox said:
    paulfox said:
    paulfox said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    paulfox said:
    Nug said:
    Vincenzo said:
    IAgree said:
    So a divisive manager, with very patchy experience and success, hired by a narcissist who knows sod all about football, has essentially plundered his old club for a bunch of players who were so great that they were in league two in what should be the high point of their career and we have signed a half dozen academy players? Fabulous!
    You must have been furious when we signed Nick Pope and Joe Aribo from non-league clubs. I mean, how good could they be if they're playing for Bury Town and Staines, ffs? 
    Not the same though is it? Pope and Aribo were about 19 when they were signed for their potential. I have no idea if this guy or any of the Swindon lads are any good but he’s a 27 year old player from League 2. It’ll be interesting to see how it goes but I do think it’s strange with all the Swindon connections and I believe it’s a concern. However the squad needed an overhaul and this is the level we’re looking at, hopefully it’s enough to push for promotion but I’m not sure it will be.
    Absolutely this. Another big question is whether Garner is any good as a manager. I have no idea and I don’t think last season is enough evidence to be confident he is. I’m open minded.

What is clear is that a lot of recruitment / staffing decisions at the club are being financially driven, often around relatively small sums. Of course that is always true to some extent but you can’t argue we’re getting the best of L2 if that is compromised by what we’re willing to pay - the four may not be “L2 players” but that’s no different from saying we’re not a L1 club. 

The five permanent signings will respectively be 28, 27, 26, 25 and 27 in the next few months - they are all mid-career rather than promising youngsters who are typical players moving up (and moving from Lincoln to Charlton is surely moving up). A great deal hangs on the manager’s ability to build a team.

Could it also be possible that another reason why TS hasn't thrown money at the squad is because he wants to see the impact Garner has as a manager? Playing it safe so to speak? If we are in a good position in January he may be more willing to use he's checkbook to help us get over the line. 

Not that I have any complaints with our strategy this window. I feel in terms of squad numbers we are in a much better place than last season. 
    At this point there is a fair amount of evidence TS regularly overestimates what is achievable on and off the pitch - results, commercial revenue, attendances, international support - even disregarding his more outlandish rhetoric.

The problem with “playing it safe” is that the bill for being in L1 keeps on coming.
    You do make TS sound quite a dimwit!!😂, I’d like to be a pound behind him and be so naive and stupid.
    He wouldn't be the first highly intelligent, highly successful business man to lose a fortune on a football club and achieve sod all, would he? 
    Absolutely not, but he would have known and been advised as to the pitfalls, and it’s his money to do as he likes, none of ours.
    Except that's not an accurate reflection is it. Because it's quite clear he expected revenue to be greater than it is and he is now talking about running it like other businesses, even "breaking even". He was either advised poorly, ignored the advice or what I believe to be the truth, a bit of both. 
    Ok, we are going over old ground now so I’ll leave it.  People know my views, I’m not going to justify them to people as I don’t have to. If people are that unhappy don’t go and dodgy old Thomas won’t take you’re money.
    nobody is saying you have to justfy them. But whenever somebody else gives their opinion you dig them out and then when people disagree with you, you just say you don't have to explain yourself. You said "I just try and do my bit go on a Saturday/ Tuesday, and support the team, and leave the politics to people that think they know best". But when you're defending Sandgaard on everything and calling anyone else who doesn't a pessimist, that's not exactly true is it? You seem to think you either have to love everything Sandgaard does or boycott and hate them. You're missing the bit in the middle where I think most of the fans currently sit. 
    That’s complete bollox, I have never dug anyone out for being pessimistic, I question why they are absolutely, as most of these people seem to know more than I do, my defence of sandgaard is based upon the fact nobody is giving us a good reason to be against him. I have on many occasions said I’m pretty much in the middle until he  does something disastrously wrong, so please don’t paint a picture of me that’s incorrect. I have a bigger issue with the constant negativity.
    Poor appointments , poor recruitment , dubious ticketing policies , putting his son into a key position with no experience, poor managerial selections (I’m not including Garner in this ).  Scepticism is justified surely . 
    I don't want whatever you are on. Best wait and see I think. 
    I’m not on anything - none of what I said can be argued against .  There may be a huge list of positives too , although I can’t see them.  Do enlighten . 
     Poor managerial selections? How many of you now saying Jackson was a poor selection were salivating at him getting the gig? Who wanted Bowyer sacked when TS decided to stick with him? Adkins was always going to be a 50/50 but I think most understand why we tried it.

Either way this is not a discussion for the Jack Payne thread so let's have it here.
    Adkins was appalling.  He evidently didn’t want Jackson in the job ; he only gave it to him because he had to after the run we are on .  Let’s hope Garner works out better . 
    Was Adkins categorically appalling or was he properly backed?

We looked quite good at the end of the season and the total opposite at the start of the next.  We had 14 senior pros and two of them had Covid.

He was a sound appointment on paper, on grass as well for his 1st dozen games. 
    I was going to post similar, but it had the feel of defend the indefensible about it. Plymouth away anyone? Best result in years, albeit with an inherited squad. Got a tune out of Gilbey, who was key for him and missing at start of next, as was the departed unreplaced Aneke. Clearly let down on transfers over summer who weren't his picks, (Dobson?) Ultimately lost the dressing room, and if tactics were anything to go by, his marbles.

Should boost my flagging LoL count 😎
    He didn't have Amos, JFC, Millar, Maatsen, Gilbey, Purrington and Aneke at the start of the following season.  

They had been replaced with MacGillivray, Dobson, Clare and umm........

Anyone would have struggled.
    Amazing to think there were people arguing that Aneke’s departure didn’t matter because he couldn’t play 90 minutes. Are we (fans not TS) making the same mistake with Washington a year later?
    Oranges and apples imo.

10 times out of 10 you have a centre forward on the bench, 8 rimes out of 10 you bring them on.  If you have got the best "super sub" in the league what does it matter he can't start?  It's like moaning the sub keeper can't play left back.

On the other hand.  If Washington had stayed what would his role be?  4th or 5th choice wide player who could do a job?  Couldn't be an alt to Stockley, you aren't playing Washington in the middle of a front 3.  Change of shape sub, if you wanted to go two up top for the final 20?  Maybe.

I would have kept Washington (ingoring the rumour and innuendo) for what it's worth but also in hindsight he didn't have a natural role in Adkins team, nor has he one in Garner's.
    That assumes the formation is fairly rigid and is sustained because it works. I’m not convinced on either point but I understand that’s the plan.
  • Options
    What is Garner's style of play/ Garner ball?

Genuine question...I'm not really aware of modern  tactics etc and want to learn more.

Is there a particular thread that explains/ discusses it?

Basically trying to keep possession man city style I believe. Unfortunately at this level easier said than done and can just as easily result in it turning into England style possession where we just pass round the back forever before someone scores an own goal passing it back to the keeper. 
  • Options
    Jac_52 said:

Genuine question...I'm not really aware of modern  tactics etc and want to learn more.

Basically trying to keep possession man city style I believe. Unfortunately at this level easier said than done and can just as easily result in it turning into England style possession where we just pass round the back forever before someone scores an own goal passing it back to the keeper. 

At least he does have a particular style of play and doesn't just only set the team up depending on who we play against.

The players will mentally be warming to this. I can promise they will be putting the extra foot in for him and for the club. This is always important. 

I think we will at least finish in the top ten this season. 

• Options
    Dave2l said:
    Jac_52 said:

At least he does have a particular style of play and doesn't just only set the team up depending on who we play against.

The players will mentally be warming to this. I can promise they will be putting the extra foot in for him and for the club. This is always important. 

Looking at the clubs in the division, is a top ten finish success or the least we should be doing?
  • Options
    edited July 2022
    Cafc43v3r said:
    swordfish said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    wmcf123 said:
    Dazzler21 said:
    Poor managerial selections? How many of you now saying Jackson was a poor selection were salivating at him getting the gig? Who wanted Bowyer sacked when TS decided to stick with him? Adkins was always going to be a 50/50 but I think most understand why we tried it.

Either way this is not a discussion for the Jack Payne thread so let's have it here.
    Adkins was appalling.  He evidently didn’t want Jackson in the job ; he only gave it to him because he had to after the run we are on .  Let’s hope Garner works out better . 

We looked quite good at the end of the season and the total opposite at the start of the next.  We had 14 senior pros and two of them had Covid.

I was going to post similar, but it had the feel of defend the indefensible about it. Plymouth away anyone? Best result in years, albeit with an inherited squad. Got a tune out of Gilbey, who was key for him and missing at start of next, as was the departed unreplaced Aneke. Clearly let down on transfers over summer who weren't his picks, (Dobson?) Ultimately lost the dressing room, and if tactics were anything to go by, his marbles.

He didn't have Amos, JFC, Millar, Maatsen, Gilbey, Purrington and Aneke at the start of the following season.  

Amazing to think there were people arguing that Aneke’s departure didn’t matter because he couldn’t play 90 minutes. Are we (fans not TS) making the same mistake with Washington a year later?
    I miss Washington.
  • Options
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    swordfish said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    wmcf123 said:
    Dazzler21 said:
    wmcf123 said:
    wmcf123 said:
    paulfox said:
    paulfox said:
    paulfox said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    paulfox said:
    Nug said:
    Vincenzo said:
    IAgree said:
    So a divisive manager, with very patchy experience and success, hired by a narcissist who knows sod all about football, has essentially plundered his old club for a bunch of players who were so great that they were in league two in what should be the high point of their career and we have signed a half dozen academy players? Fabulous!
    You must have been furious when we signed Nick Pope and Joe Aribo from non-league clubs. I mean, how good could they be if they're playing for Bury Town and Staines, ffs? 
    Not the same though is it? Pope and Aribo were about 19 when they were signed for their potential. I have no idea if this guy or any of the Swindon lads are any good but he’s a 27 year old player from League 2. It’ll be interesting to see how it goes but I do think it’s strange with all the Swindon connections and I believe it’s a concern. However the squad needed an overhaul and this is the level we’re looking at, hopefully it’s enough to push for promotion but I’m not sure it will be.
    Absolutely this. Another big question is whether Garner is any good as a manager. I have no idea and I don’t think last season is enough evidence to be confident he is. I’m open minded.

What is clear is that a lot of recruitment / staffing decisions at the club are being financially driven, often around relatively small sums. Of course that is always true to some extent but you can’t argue we’re getting the best of L2 if that is compromised by what we’re willing to pay - the four may not be “L2 players” but that’s no different from saying we’re not a L1 club. 

The five permanent signings will respectively be 28, 27, 26, 25 and 27 in the next few months - they are all mid-career rather than promising youngsters who are typical players moving up (and moving from Lincoln to Charlton is surely moving up). A great deal hangs on the manager’s ability to build a team.

Could it also be possible that another reason why TS hasn't thrown money at the squad is because he wants to see the impact Garner has as a manager? Playing it safe so to speak? If we are in a good position in January he may be more willing to use he's checkbook to help us get over the line. 

Not that I have any complaints with our strategy this window. I feel in terms of squad numbers we are in a much better place than last season. 
    At this point there is a fair amount of evidence TS regularly overestimates what is achievable on and off the pitch - results, commercial revenue, attendances, international support - even disregarding his more outlandish rhetoric.

The problem with “playing it safe” is that the bill for being in L1 keeps on coming.
    You do make TS sound quite a dimwit!!😂, I’d like to be a pound behind him and be so naive and stupid.
    He wouldn't be the first highly intelligent, highly successful business man to lose a fortune on a football club and achieve sod all, would he? 
    Absolutely not, but he would have known and been advised as to the pitfalls, and it’s his money to do as he likes, none of ours.
    Except that's not an accurate reflection is it. Because it's quite clear he expected revenue to be greater than it is and he is now talking about running it like other businesses, even "breaking even". He was either advised poorly, ignored the advice or what I believe to be the truth, a bit of both. 
    Ok, we are going over old ground now so I’ll leave it.  People know my views, I’m not going to justify them to people as I don’t have to. If people are that unhappy don’t go and dodgy old Thomas won’t take you’re money.
    nobody is saying you have to justfy them. But whenever somebody else gives their opinion you dig them out and then when people disagree with you, you just say you don't have to explain yourself. You said "I just try and do my bit go on a Saturday/ Tuesday, and support the team, and leave the politics to people that think they know best". But when you're defending Sandgaard on everything and calling anyone else who doesn't a pessimist, that's not exactly true is it? You seem to think you either have to love everything Sandgaard does or boycott and hate them. You're missing the bit in the middle where I think most of the fans currently sit. 
    That’s complete bollox, I have never dug anyone out for being pessimistic, I question why they are absolutely, as most of these people seem to know more than I do, my defence of sandgaard is based upon the fact nobody is giving us a good reason to be against him. I have on many occasions said I’m pretty much in the middle until he  does something disastrously wrong, so please don’t paint a picture of me that’s incorrect. I have a bigger issue with the constant negativity.
    Poor appointments , poor recruitment , dubious ticketing policies , putting his son into a key position with no experience, poor managerial selections (I’m not including Garner in this ).  Scepticism is justified surely . 
    I don't want whatever you are on. Best wait and see I think. 
    I’m not on anything - none of what I said can be argued against .  There may be a huge list of positives too , although I can’t see them.  Do enlighten . 

Oranges and apples imo.

10 times out of 10 you have a centre forward on the bench, 8 rimes out of 10 you bring them on.  If you have got the best "super sub" in the league what does it matter he can't start?  It's like moaning the sub keeper can't play left back.

On the other hand.  If Washington had stayed what would his role be?  4th or 5th choice wide player who could do a job?  Couldn't be an alt to Stockley, you aren't playing Washington in the middle of a front 3.  Change of shape sub, if you wanted to go two up top for the final 20?  Maybe.

I would have kept Washington (ingoring the rumour and innuendo) for what it's worth but also in hindsight he didn't have a natural role in Adkins team, nor has he one in Garner's.
    That assumes the formation is fairly rigid and is sustained because it works. I’m not convinced on either point but I understand that’s the plan.
    433/4231/451 is a totally sustainable formation as is 352.  If you have the players to play it.

Last season we ballsed up the recruitment for 4231 and ended up trying to play 352 with 3 wingers and only 3 strikers.

The irony is if we had got the recruitment right for one, we probably could have also played the other without trying to ram square pegs in round holes.

If the manager and the recruitment team are singing off the same hymn sheet that's at least a start.  Washington is probably a price worth paying for it as well.  So to are others of our "better" players.
  • Options
    Dave2l said:
    Jac_52 said:

Don't get me wrong I completely agree and think it was the right decision to part ways with Jackson as other than him having a formation he didn't really have much else and I couldn't see that magically changing this season.

Was just a fair warning that I expect we won't be able to dominate possession quite so easily in a fair few games and I'm certain we'll concede a few howlers.
  • Options
    Dave2l said:
    Jac_52 said:

Looking at the clubs in the division, is a top ten finish success or the least we should be doing?

Agree. Top 6 is absolutely the bare minimum we should ever be aiming for. I would say top 2 but I think Peterborough and Barnsley assuming they have kept their squads largely intact will be pushing the automatics along with Sheffield Wednesday. Hopefully we can be up there with them of course but need to recruit very well before the window shuts imo.
  • Options
    Dave2l said:
    Jac_52 said:

Top ten finish is failure unless it’s top six which is a relative success or top two which is a definite success.
  • Options
    The fact there is even a Jackson this or Jackson that discussion is a sign of mistakes made.  At best.

Bowyer wasn't backed in the January (ingoring the fact we didn't sign a player from another club in August).  A center back would have made more than the one point difference.

We fucked up, royally, the one Adkins window.  The worst window, with the most long term impact, in modern history.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Jac_52 said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    The fact there is even a Jackson this or Jackson that discussion is a sign of mistakes made.  At best.

Bowyer wasn't backed in the January (ingoring the fact we didn't sign a player from another club in August).  A center back would have made more than the one point difference.

We fucked up, royally, the one Adkins window.  The worst window, with the most long term impact, in modern history.

As far as I remember Bowyer was the one who didn't want a centre back even though it was obvious we were screaming out for one. We also added Stockley and Millar in January didn't we? Problem was Bowyer not that he wasn't backed.

Last summer ended up not being the best in hindsight but kirk, Dobson, Clare and CBT were all good players and should do well this year at least and lessons seem to be being learnt. Stockley who we also paid money for was basically playing with trench foot and a bad back most of the season as well don't forget. 

Tbh I'm more excited to see what this season brings than I have been for quite a few years.
    Yeah I agree, I don't think it was a case of Bowyer not being backed. We were under a salary cap and so limited with what we could do. We replaced Bogle and Smyth with Stockley and Millar which was really promising business. We then replaced Williams/Maddison with DJ. If we had got a CB in I think we'd have made play offs. 
  • Options
    Jac_52 said:
    Cafc43v3r said:

As far as I remember Bowyer was the one who didn't want a centre back even though it was obvious we were screaming out for one. We also added Stockley and Millar in January didn't we? Problem was Bowyer not that he wasn't backed.

Last summer ended up not being the best in hindsight but kirk, Dobson, Clare and CBT were all good players and should do well this year at least and lessons seem to be being learnt. Stockley who we also paid money for was basically playing with trench foot and a bad back most of the season as well don't forget. 

Tbh I'm more excited to see what this season brings than I have been for quite a few years.
    Yeah I agree, I don't think it was a case of Bowyer not being backed. We were under a salary cap and so limited with what we could do. We replaced Bogle and Smyth with Stockley and Millar which was really promising business. We then replaced Williams/Maddison with DJ. If we had got a CB in I think we'd have made play offs. 
    Bowyer had a horrendous run of injuries and then clearly lost interest after all of the rubbish he had to put up with , arguably every day he was with the club .  Adkins came in and the players responded to someone a lot more affable in the short term; he also had Inniss and Famewo fit , plus Millar , JFC, Maatsen etc .  Clearly the longer the players spent with Adkins, the more it became clear that he was a very poor coach- enough comments from players have suggested that they didn’t rate him. 

• Options
    edited July 2022
  • Options
    “In many ways a football club is like any other business,” he said. “I have been involved with many turnarounds before. It is about getting the right people on board and the right culture in place.”

🤞
  • Options
    “In many ways a football club is like any other business,” he said. “I have been involved with many turnarounds before. It is about getting the right people on board and the right culture in place.”

🤞
    i.e. your family. 
  • Options
    Hope he’s told the council. Is there anyone left down there who even understands they need to be licensed?
    I think you know the answer to those questions
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited July 2022
    Scoham said:

Just make me comercial director and head of operations.

"Sandgasm" is happening boys.

• Options
    I think what he is thinking is that he will be the main act!! So it wouldn’t be busy so not a problem.

• Options
    Be a good way to bring in £1m odd of income tbf
  • Options
    edited July 2022
  • Options
    Hope he’s told the council. Is there anyone left down there who even understands they need to be licensed?
    Would it be a massive step from a full house night game re' the time, the amount of people and noise pollution?

Genuine question
  • Options
    edited July 2022
    I wonder what the capacity would be for a concert with fans on the pitch? And how that impacts how they get in and out? Parking, capacity of Charlton Station, getting people from the O2 to the ground.

Biggest issue I had when working on the Coe / Broughton Chelsea bid was the logistics around increasing the capacity of Stamford Bridge. The council wouldn't allow an extra 25,000 people per game streaming out of Fulham Broadway tube onto the high street so we would have to build a direct link from the tube across to the stadium at a massive cost.

That was at least partly worth considering as it was a recurring scenario. I dont know how it would work with a one off game.

Thinking the south would be closed...... people sitting in the north, west and east and on the pitch. What's that gonna be - 40,000? Best chance of controlling the noise would be having the stage facing away from the flats and the sound going the other way..... natural bowl of the North could hold more in from Harvey Gardens direction.
  • Options
    If it makes money and can be set in stone, then yes, have some gigs at the valley. 

Not a bad idea at all