Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Sandgaard ownership discussion 2022-3 onwards (Meeting with CAST p138)

Comments

• Options
    edited July 2022
    I wonder what the capacity would be for a concert with fans on the pitch? And how that impacts how they get in and out? Parking, capacity of Charlton Station, getting people from the O2 to the ground.

Biggest issue I had when working on the Coe / Broughton Chelsea bid was the logistics around increasing the capacity of Stamford Bridge. The council wouldn't allow an extra 25,000 people per game streaming out of Fulham Broadway tube onto the high street so we would have to build a direct link from the tube across to the stadium at a massive cost.

That was at least partly worth considering as it was a recurring scenario. I dont know how it would work with a one off game.

Thinking the south would be closed...... people sitting in the north, west and east and on the pitch. What's that gonna be - 40,000? Best chance of controlling the noise would be having the stage facing away from the flats and the sound going the other way..... natural bowl of the North could hold more in from Harvey Gardens direction.
    Even going with 25000; at £45 a ticket (is that the going rate for an outside gig theses days??), it would be £1.25m gross

Edit* Just looked and Ed Sheeran was £50 to £80 a ticket for his recent London gig
  • Options
    40000 people at charlton Station would be absolute carnage. 
  • Options
    edited July 2022
    I'll be good to see The Valley used for a few different things again - it's a real shame we never put ourselves forward for Euro 2022. Anyway. 

Hosting a concert there would be a much bigger endeavour than a football match - not least because The Valley is built (and licensed) for football matches rather than concerts.

Yep, a night match causes disruption, but that's one most neighbours apart from a minority of diehard miseries can live with - there's a rhythm that people are used to. The odd TV truck trying to squeeze down the back roads for a live game would be the biggest inconvenience. The noise carries, but is sporadic and only lasts for a couple of hours and it's not like the old days when you could see the floodlights for miles. Except in exceptional circumstances, the match is over by 10 and things have quietened down by 11.

For a gig you'd need at least a day/two days of stage set-up - with attendant noise/disruption. I'm not sure about the layout used for the Elton John show but you'd need to get some decent facilities in for the acts. Then a load of soundchecks. And you'd probably have two or three support acts - maybe more - so you're looking at a show lasting from 5pm to 11pm, with noise carrying all the way through. And then everyone's got to get out and get home.

While the capacity's not likely to be much different from a football match (Tottenham is the same capacity for everything) and maybe fewer people will drive there because more will want a drink - there'll have to be some way to manage parking, because The Valley car park's going to end up being taken up for a load of back-of-house stuff. And, of course, someone's going to have to check the trains will be running; maybe even persuading Southeastern to chuck on an extra train to clear the crowds. 

And then you'd need another day or two to take it all down and truck it out again. So you might be looking at two or three shows to get your money's worth.

All of which is going to have be in a licence to be negotiated with the council and police, and against a fair number of likely objections from some of those diehard miseries mentioned above. 

It's a bit of a shame Sandgaard let that slip in a magazine read by a tiny handful of business owners rather than talking to residents, but I think we're all used to his way of communicating now...
  • Options
    Except who wants to play at The Valley when the O2 is less than 3 miles away???...

Policing, security, artist cut of receipts etc etc

• Options
    edited July 2022
    No chance whatsoever of a capacity higher than the football limit, due to safety route capacities. I’d be surprised if more than 20,000 were allowed.

@InspectorSands is spot on with the hazards of floating this in the way it has been done. It has the smell of a PR own goal.
  • Options
    and even if we had applied for Euro 2022, I don't think we would have got it over Brentford. 
  • Options
    Just give it to cover bands.

Doesn't need to be a sell out.

You want some music that you may like. Get yourself down the valley for just £20 
  • Options
    Didn’t we have Elton John (or similar) at the Valley within ‘recent’ history?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    That was his Groundhopping tour 
  • Options
    shine166 said:
    40000 people at charlton Station would be absolute carnage. 
    I ain't sharing a cab with you

;)
  • Options
    I knew the guy who organised music acts to play at Colchester United for many years (quite big names like Lionel Ritchie, Elton John, and Ollie Murs). A lot of hard work, but perfectly achievable. I can't believe that the Community Stadium has miles better facilities than The Valley.
  • Options
    Not in a predominantly residential area though, is it?
  • Options
    I'll be good to see The Valley used for a few different things again - it's a real shame we never put ourselves forward for Euro 2022. Anyway. 
    With regard to internationals I think there's a lot of schmoozing that needs to happen to persuade the FA bigwigs (or UEFA/FIFA ones etc...) to host a match on your ground, I don't think these decisions are made based on the quality of your facilities alone. I can imagine Brentford and Brighton are being used because some people on their respective boards have close ties with the FA. I don't think our current setup in charge are aware (or even bothered) enough or connected enough to go through all that.

Its a shame because the Valley would be perfect for something like a mens u21 England match, or a women's international. I think the last time we hosted the England u21s was in 1997?
  • Options
    CAFCTrev said:
    With regard to internationals I think there's a lot of schmoozing that needs to happen to persuade the FA bigwigs (or UEFA/FIFA ones etc...) to host a match on your ground, I don't think these decisions are made based on the quality of your facilities alone. I can imagine Brentford and Brighton are being used because some people on their respective boards have close ties with the FA. I don't think our current setup in charge are aware (or even bothered) enough or connected enough to go through all that.

Its a shame because the Valley would be perfect for something like a mens u21 England match, or a women's international. I think the last time we hosted the England u21s was in 1997?
    The Amex is a better stadium and Brentford is shiny new stadium with really good facilities, the FA were looking for Amex sized stadiums for the England group, and the Valley is the wrong size for the rest of the tournament 
  • Options
    Rothko said:
    CAFCTrev said:

The Amex is a better stadium and Brentford is shiny new stadium with really good facilities, the FA were looking for Amex sized stadiums for the England group, and the Valley is the wrong size for the rest of the tournament 
    I don't think they were apposed to using older grounds (they're using Bramall Lane), Id like to think we would be suitable for the group stages, not necessarily for England games. But yeah, the FA probably wanted to showcase our newer grounds to give a better impression of our football infrastructure.
  • Options
    CAFCTrev said:

Wouldn’t waste there time with it as wont be successful. Got to remember that Wembley is in London and there is a strong belief that The FA only represents London and not England. There is a reason when England go on the road they never play at a London stadium. They’ve got to take England to all those grotty towns and cities to keep northerns happy. 

• Options
    CAFCTrev said:
    Rothko said:
    CAFCTrev said:

I don't think they were apposed to using older grounds (they're using Bramall Lane), Id like to think we would be suitable for the group stages, not necessarily for England games. But yeah, the FA probably wanted to showcase our newer grounds to give a better impression of our football infrastructure.
    Bramall Lane had a load of cash spent on it to get to Premier League standard, and it's in the sweet spot for England games at early 30s.

I don't think people realise just how knackered the Valley is compared to other comparable grounds 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Rothko said:
    CAFCTrev said:
    Rothko said:
    CAFCTrev said:

Bramall Lane had a load of cash spent on it to get to Premier League standard, and it's in the sweet spot for England games at early 30s.

I don't think people realise just how knackered the Valley is compared to other comparable grounds 
    100%. I love The Valley and I hope we never move but it’s nowhere near a top modern stadium. Take the West Stand concourse as an example, the layout restricts people using the food kiosk if full. If they were building The Valley today, then the concourse would probably need to be double the size to maximise revenue from food and drinks. 

• Options
    Chunes said:
    There will always be obstacles to overcome, that's business. 

They put on gigs at the Emirates which is in a highly residential area and you can hear it blaring at night, it's bloody loud, even from two miles away.

Making The Valley a regular-ish concert venue would be a great boost to the local economy: Pubs, F&B venues, shops, etc. Not to mention a good source of income for the club. 

It's a really good idea. If it doesn't work out, nothing has been lost. If it does work out, a lot has been gained. 

It's certainly more of an appealing way to make money instead of just using the valley as an external call centre
  • Options
    CAFCTrev said:

Wouldn’t waste there time with it as wont be successful. Got to remember that Wembley is in London and there is a strong belief that The FA only represents London and not England. There is a reason when England go on the road they never play at a London stadium. They’ve got to take England to all those grotty towns and cities to keep northerns happy. 

Yeah we rarely get u21 games in London these days. I went to one at Wembley in 2008, and another in Watford around 2011, not sure there's been another one down here since. 
  • Options
    Perhaps he meant his band when he was talking about a concert.  
  • Options
    Bring back the midget cars!!!!😂
  • Options

2006.  The gig that made him and put him on the world stage he recalls.
    Should go on the 'Things that make you feel old" thread. I woz there  that day in 2006 and it made me feel old then 😦

Anyone there for the Who in 1976, and, if so, how's your hearing these days? 😎
  • Options
    swordfish said:

2006.  The gig that made him and put him on the world stage he recalls.
    Should go on the 'Things that make you feel old" thread. I woz there  that day in 2006 and it made me feel old then 😦

Anyone there for the Who in 1976, and, if so, how's your hearing these days? 😎
    I was there and I can say pretty certainly no money was made that day from memory I think most bunked in 😂😂
  • Options
    edited July 2022
    So the Valley has played host to 3 concerts in the last 48 years, two with Gliksten as owner, the other Murray. If it were to happen, wouldn't it be Roland's gig seeing as he owns the Valley, or is TS planning on acquiring it before then I wonder? 😉