Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Miles Leaburn - 2023-4 season

Comments

• Options
    I’d like to see him up top in the formation Brighton currently play, it would suit him really well as it does Welbeck (who I don’t particularly rate!). This also takes the heat off Stockley.  We’d also get to utilise more midfielders which is where we are currently strongest.  

Wollacott
    Clare, Innis, O’Connell 
    Sessegnon, Dobson, Morgan, CBT
    Fraser, Payne
    Leaburn

• Options
    wmcf123 said:
    Ferryman said:
    Uboat said:
    Rob7Lee said:
    Uboat said:
    Maybe it’s my age, but the sight of Miles stepping onto the pitch makes me quite emotional. 
    I enjoyed telling my kids about Carl’s appearance for Wimbledon against us on Boxing Day 1998 and the contrasting reactions amongst the away fans. For those that weren’t there or can’t remember, the ‘Leeeeeeaaaabuuuurn’ drowned out the boos. 
    And a certain Mr Euell scored from memory, blimey, was that really 24 years ago!
    Euell did score, you’re right. That was the biggest away crowd I’ve ever been in and the atmosphere was unbelievable when we took the lead. 
    Was there, I beleive 12,000 Addicks
    No way was it 12k, I love the way this figure grows every time it’s mentioned !!! 
    I believe we had (and filled) the entire Arthur Waite stand and the ‘sainsburys end’, so whatever they add up to
    According to wiki, 9.5k + 2.2k…
    Happy to stand corrected. In my memory the biggest sway support I have been in was the 10.5k at old Trafford. Didn’t think we had anywhere near that at selhurst that day. But it was a long time ago … 
    It was noisy though .  Not sure Carlo had the pass from last night in him but he was hugely underrated.  The 97/98 season , his last,  he had been discarded by Curbs but in the end he came back and played well before he was sold.  In fairness , Bright was even more effective .  Halcyon days .  Here’s hoping ML will have similar days . 
    I thought it was Carl refusing to a sign a contract as he wanted to leave, but in those pre-Bosman days he couldn't just go, hence we could still keep him on a week-to-week basis
    Wasn’t the Bosman rule in place by then?
  • Options
    In place legally in 1995, but 1996 I think was the first year of Bosman transfers.  Carl was under contract, but it was to finish in 1998.  Hence they decided to sell him for a fee to Wimbledon mid-season.  

The first Bosman free I remember we signed was Andy Hunt.
  • Options
    edited September 2022
    Watch this space for prices and sizes.
  • Options
    AndyG said:
    It will be a good test of the intent of the club when they start getting the phone calls. Not just for Miles because we are really fortunate that we seem to have a great crop of youngsters coming through and I'm sure the big clubs will come calling at some point. TS has been shrewd in giving them long term deals so they cant be poached but how good would it be to say that ain't for sale
    The earliest sniff of dough then a player gets sold, also if a player gets a whif as well.
  • Options
    Scoring all types of goals. 

Who would have thought it. After all the talk if rebuilding, recruitment policy, etc....our main goal threat this season is Carl Leaburn and our Player Liason Officer's Son. 

He's learning very quickly and enjoys the deep end.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Don't be surprised if TS arranges for Leaburn's name on the back of his shirt to be replaced with For Sale.
  • Options
    I think he will only truly grow into his body around 21 years old at which point he will really start dominating defenders and with decent pace, good composure and skill/passing ability he will be some player.  PL for sure.  A shame we will only see him for a short period and in L1 will get nothing like decent value for him.
    I saw 77 new posts since I last opened this thread and thought Chelsea must have  bought him last night.

Sadly, as you say, he will be gone in January.

A million or two for a PL team is loose change to them and TS will surely bite their hand off for that.
  • Options
    I think he will only truly grow into his body around 21 years old at which point he will really start dominating defenders and with decent pace, good composure and skill/passing ability he will be some player.  PL for sure.  A shame we will only see him for a short period and in L1 will get nothing like decent value for him.
    I saw 77 new posts since I last opened this thread and thought Chelsea must have  bought him last night.

A million or two for a PL team is loose change to them and TS will surely bite their hand off for that.
    If that is the case, how long can VG continue? In the old days young players would stay for a couple of seasons then go with our blessing, recently players have barely got in double figure appearances before they are sold.
  • Options
    Really is depressing being a Charlton fan. Leaburn looks a great prospect but you know he'll be sold in January and someone else's fans will get to enjoy him develop in a higher league 
  • Options
    Really is depressing being a Charlton fan. Leaburn looks a great prospect but you know he'll be sold in January and someone else's fans will get to enjoy him develop in a higher league 
    You were told this by KM years ago😥😥
  • Options

If that is the case, how long can VG continue? In the old days young players would stay for a couple of seasons then go with our blessing, recently players have barely got in double figure appearances before they are sold.
    This. We've always been a selling club - and unless we get bought by some oil rich country - always will be.

But as you say, in the past we always got to see our young up and coming stars for a year or two. Now it's 4 or 5 months if we are lucky.

Another reason why it is all so depressing at the moment. 
  • Options
    Need to get Kanu in the shop window as well.
  • Options

If we sell him for 1-2 million in January then i think i might be just about done with this club.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I dont understand why TS would do that in this situation though. Ok we are not loaded but we also dont need to sell to pay the Bill's. Ok he might get 1-2m in January but he is on a longish contract and as he develops we will get more surely
  • Options
    Wasn't sure it was intentional during the game. This confirms it was.
  • Options
    AndyG said:
    I dont understand why TS would do that in this situation though. Ok we are not loaded but we also dont need to sell to pay the Bill's. Ok he might get 1-2m in January but he is on a longish contract and as he develops we will get more surely
    TS has stated on several outlets his aim is to reduce the annual losses from £8m to £4m this season. 

Smarter people than me with inside knowledge have explained that he will not get anywhere near it by making staff redundant and putting up ticket prices so where else is the money coming from.
  • Options
    AndyG said:
    I'm not sure we don't need to sell to pay the bills if TS decides to stop funding us properly.

Anyway, it's not down purely to TS whether we will sell him. Other factors come into play too.

Let's assume Chelsea offer Leaburn 10 times as much as what he's on at Charlton. Not unlikely given what Burstow supposedly signed for. Do you think Carl and Tracy Leaburn will be saying to their son "stay with Charlton son, you can play a big part in getting them out of League 1 in 2023/24?" 
  • Options
    AndyG said:
    I'm not sure we don't need to sell to pay the bills if TS decides to stop funding us properly.

Anyway, it's not down purely to TS whether we will sell him. Other factors come into play too.

Let's assume Chelsea offer Leaburn 10 times as much as what he's on at Charlton. Not unlikely given what Burstow supposedly signed for. Do you think Carl and Tracy Leaburn will be saying to their son "stay with Charlton son, you can play a big part in getting them out of League 1 in 2023/24?" 
    Remember Miles was released by Chelsea at 16.

He and his parents knows the pitfalls of being in a "Big club" academy.

Also ML was out of contract in the summer. I doubt very much we were his only option.

Right now he's playing first team games. Compare to what Burstow is doing now 

Not saying he'll stay forever but I'm not sure the family are in a mad rush for him to leave even if TS maybe. 
    Could it end with family Sandgaard overruling them though for a cash grab?
  • Options
    Wasn't there some talk a while back about TS looking for outside investment?
  • Options
    What those clips don’t show is that move started with Leaburn as well. He did well to get to a ball into him that wasn’t super accurate, control under pressure, and lay it off accurately to Fraser who played a great ball to Egbo. 

Not only did Leaburn hold the ball up to start the move he kept up with play to be at the near post when the low cross came on from JRS. 

Excellent all round striker play that seems to be beyond Stockley at the moment, sadly. 
    Hate to state the obvious but that’s because it is beyond Stockley, regardless of system he’s a carthorse that can sometimes get on the end of crosses.
  • Options
    AndyG said:

Remember Miles was released by Chelsea at 16.

He and his parents knows the pitfalls of being in a "Big club" academy.

Also ML was out of contract in the summer. I doubt very much we were his only option.

Right now he's playing first team games. Compare to what Burstow is doing now 

Not saying he'll stay forever but I'm not sure the family are in a mad rush for him to leave even if TS maybe. 
    Could it end with family Sandgaard overruling them though for a cash grab?
    Can’t force him to transfer if the player doesn’t want to.