Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Miles Leaburn - 2023-4 season

Comments

• Options
    Crusty54 said:
    Another turned ankle injury. Boots with ankle support/protection make sense to me having played in them all those years ago.

Boots seem more like carpet slippers nowadays.
    Playing football with rugby boots is not easy!
  • Options
    I don't envisage any clubs paying 10m to a cash strapped league one club. At best i think we could realistically get 5m + add ons.

Even Lookman (who'd played in the Championship) was apparently 7.5m + add ons (which i'm not sure we ever got).
    I agree with you, but was just using the £10m figure suggested by @JamesSeed .
    For what it's worth I think that Miles has shown far more than Burstow did before he was signed by Chelsea.

With Burstow it was more about timing than actual impact. Burst onto the scene in the run up to christmas, score in a few cup games and then score in a couple of league games (some off the bench). Some crazy stats go around about mins per goal in mens football (including papa johns and other cups). Forced to start every week due to injuries. Get some general hype and social media hype going just as the window opens.
  • Options
    hold on, he hasn't gone anywhere!
  • Options
    Redhenry said:
    hold on, he hasn't gone anywhere!
    Yet
  • Options
    It’s great how much he loves a bit of rough and tumble! At least once a match he’ll clatter a centre back.
  • Options
    Redhenry said:
    anything to find and moan about I spose
    It's not moaning for moaning's sake, it's just a reflection of the reality we have found ourselves in for years. And which is getting worse.

In the "good, old days" at least we kept our young stars for a year or two before they moved on. However, more recently, we've been lucky to get 6 or 9 months out of them before they move on. Leaburn is an infinite better prospect than Burstow - as Ali Maxwell said last night you now need to have a certain physicality to play in the PL and Leaburn has already got it at 18 and can only get bigger and more physical - and yet Chelsea tossed us a million or so pounds after only 3 or 4 months after Burstow had made his debut for us. It may not be Chelsea this time but you can rest assured some PL team will be chancing their arm in january.

That, of course, is just the reality of modern football and the place we currently find ourselves in. But it is still depressing.

• Options
    JamesSeed said:
    JamesSeed said:
    JamesSeed said:
    Two or three million could well be dangled around in January. But if TS wants to follow the Brentford model, wouldn’t he want to hang on to him until he’s (hopefully) worth ten or so?
    But the longer he holds on the more his loses are elsewhere in the meantime.
    Don’t understand that. 
    If he cashes in sooner rather than later (January) and then gets shot of the club then he receives the full effect of the transfer fee received.
    If he waits  another year and receives £10m instead of £2m but the club racks up losses of £8m in that year then TS is still only effectively receiving the same £2m, if he then disposes of the club.
    See what you mean. 
    And @Chris_from_Sidcup may well be right, although if Miles continues improving at his current rate he might be one hell of a player in a year or two, and you could end with a bidding war. Of course it’s hard to predict these things, and yes, if they think we’re strapped for cash they’ll take full advantage. 
    The issue of course is that in a year or two he is nearer to the end of his contract, so at that point his value won't go up unless he signs a new deal. 

Of course in a year or two TS might not still be here and we might not be cash strapped so a lot can change. Hardly worth concerning ourselves with at this point.
  • Options
    The issue is surely not nearing the end of his contract, but whether or not his contract has a buy out clause.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    LeeValley said:
    The issue is surely not nearing the end of his contract, but whether or not his contract has a buy out clause.
    Even without one TS will have a valuation in his head which will have the same result.
  • Options
    A real positive to see him doing so well. Just a shame the club is not at a high enough level to offer him what he deserves and will need over the next few years.
    That is the fault of owners past and present.
    You can see him growing and maturing his football game with each appearance. One of the positives so far this year. I wish he would stay for at least the season, but he has to do right for himself. Football is a short career.
  • Options
    The way he is developing I sadly don't think he'll be short of offers in January. Hopefully we get a good fee and a loan back for the rest of the season if we accept any bids.

The only way I can see him here next season is on a loan from the club he ends up at and we get promoted, which is sadly improbable this season although not impossible.

Personally I feel he'd be better off staying and getting another season under his belt but that is just rose tinted wishful thinking I fear.
  • Options
    It is very possible to go to a bigger club and languish in the youth team or go out on loan and not fit. He is in the perfect position where he is and if that changes then he should look at the option of leaving but not whilst it is working for him. The money will come but Diego Poyet is a lesson in not chasing it too early.
    His agent would disagree sadly. 
  • Options
    edited October 2022
    Yes, but he should have good advice from his parents. In all honesty it isn't what is best for us but what is best for the lad and he hasn't made it yet. If he went to a bigger team's academy, he could indeed thrive or he could get lost in it. The reason has to be football over financial and that way he has the potential for a better career and more riches. He is currently an established member of the first team squad and an asset that has to be nutured and supported.
  • Options
    Yes, but he should have good advice from his parents. In all honesty it isn't what is best for us but what is best for the lad and he hasn't made it yet. If he went to a bigger team's academy, he could indeed thrive or he could get lost in it. The reason has to be football over financial and that way he has the potential for a better career and more riches. He is currently an established member of the first team squad and an asset that has to be nutured and supported.
    It's easy for us to say this as we're Charlton fans and obviously want him to stay. But we're a league one club whose owner is cutting investment so probably the max we could offer him would be 4-5k.

If a PL club comes in with a 5 year deal on 15k a week it's a no brainer for him regardless of his families ties to the club. After all it is his job and given the option of treading water in league one or moving elsewhere for more money, better training facilities and better players to train with daily, i don't see him saying no.

I personally don't see him moving in January but if he continues his form i'd be very surprised if he's here beyond the summer.
  • Options
    I accept a time will come, probably sooner rather than later when it is the right time but the reason for him should be a football one. The money will look after itself beyond that.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    It's easy for us to say this as we're Charlton fans and obviously want him to stay. But we're a league one club whose owner is cutting investment so probably the max we could offer him would be 4-5k.

If a PL club comes in with a 5 year deal on 15k a week it's a no brainer for him regardless of his families ties to the club. After all it is his job and given the option of treading water in league one or moving elsewhere for more money, better training facilities and better players to train with daily, i don't see him saying no.

I personally don't see him moving in January but if he continues his form i'd be very surprised if he's here beyond the summer.
    The problem is, if he goes to a big club's academy, all that's likely to happen is he gets farmed back out on loan to another League One club in the same way that numerous other youth players have been. So yes he'll be on more money, but not necessarily any better training facilities or better players to train with, and with the added burden of expectation that comes with being a big club loanee. And not all clubs have someone of the calibre of Tracey to guide him through the trials of living on his own for the first time. Getting plenty of experience in men's football in a comparatively low pressure environment is going to be better for his development I think, for this season at the very least.
  • Options
    edited October 2022
    Plus, we have relatively poor striking options for a club of our stature even in league one. That is a negative for us, but a positive for Miles.
  • Options
    There's nothing like first team men's football for developing a player. No Premier League academy will teach you as much as regular first team football v men where you have no choice but to learn how to use your body and compete against more physically developed players and teach you the intensity of the professional game. Only extremely rarely do Premier League teams put faith in an academy product without having already gained significant first team experience elsewhere. For a club like Chelsea, Gallagher had to get to England first team level to break into their midfield.

You can join a Premier League team and be loaned elsewhere but then you lose control of your career as your parent club dictates which club you will join and whether they think you will ever be good enough to break into their first team. It makes absolute sense to me for Leaburn to stay at Charlton for at least another couple of years in an environment he is comfortable in, where first team football is pretty much guaranteed and where the fans and staff have got your back as you try to improve your skills/ability. 
  • Options
    Redhenry said:
    anything to find and moan about I spose
    Just to be clear - I'm not moaning, it's just realistic that he will leave when the money and the teams higher up the pyramid come calling. I don't think there can be a debate on that point in the modern game.
  • Options
    Swisdom said:
    Miles is no stranger to attention - he had around 20 clubs after him when he signed for us initially and this summer was no different.  Thew vultures were circling

Thanks to his parents he is getting the right sort of advice as opposed to a greedy agent trying to persuade him to take the money.  His time will come and he needs game time to learn his craft - something he is doing very much at the moment.

I have been chatting to Carl numerous times about Miles and I said in July he needed to occupy the defenders like Mitrovic does.  Just get in their faces, piss them off.  He'll get a few whacks as he goes but it's all needed.  Carlo agreed and said he finds it so hard because he is such a genuinely nice lad and not a wind-up merchant.  But it does seem he is bringing an element of shithousery to his game and I very much welcome it!

I'm going to enjoy it while it lasts because it won't last forever but he certainly is a joy to watch right now
    Does he have an agent or is Carl his agent/advisor?
  • Options
    edited October 2022
    @Chris_from_Sidcup When I last asked, 2 years ago, it was his parents dealing with it 
  • Options
    Can't imagine what other club would be better for him at the moment. He's under no pressure here. The crowd are going to be more forgiving with him than any other player. If he signs for big money for another club, it's a very different experience.
  • Options
    If I were TS would not sell until the end of the season at least. His reputation will rise and demand a larger fee plus help us hopefully climb out of this shitty league.