Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Miles Leaburn - 2023-4 season

Comments

• Options
    se9addick said:
    AndyG said:
    I dont understand why TS would do that in this situation though. Ok we are not loaded but we also dont need to sell to pay the Bill's. Ok he might get 1-2m in January but he is on a longish contract and as he develops we will get more surely
    I'm not sure we don't need to sell to pay the bills if TS decides to stop funding us properly.

Anyway, it's not down purely to TS whether we will sell him. Other factors come into play too.

Let's assume Chelsea offer Leaburn 10 times as much as what he's on at Charlton. Not unlikely given what Burstow supposedly signed for. Do you think Carl and Tracy Leaburn will be saying to their son "stay with Charlton son, you can play a big part in getting them out of League 1 in 2023/24?" 
    Remember Miles was released by Chelsea at 16.

He and his parents knows the pitfalls of being in a "Big club" academy.

Also ML was out of contract in the summer. I doubt very much we were his only option.

Right now he's playing first team games. Compare to what Burstow is doing now 

Not saying he'll stay forever but I'm not sure the family are in a mad rush for him to leave even if TS maybe. 
    Could it end with family Sandgaard overruling them though for a cash grab?
    Can’t force him to transfer if the player doesn’t want to. 
    Ooh that could get awkward!
  • Options
    AndyG said:
    I dont understand why TS would do that in this situation though. Ok we are not loaded but we also dont need to sell to pay the Bill's. Ok he might get 1-2m in January but he is on a longish contract and as he develops we will get more surely
    I'm not sure we don't need to sell to pay the bills if TS decides to stop funding us properly.

Anyway, it's not down purely to TS whether we will sell him. Other factors come into play too.

Let's assume Chelsea offer Leaburn 10 times as much as what he's on at Charlton. Not unlikely given what Burstow supposedly signed for. Do you think Carl and Tracy Leaburn will be saying to their son "stay with Charlton son, you can play a big part in getting them out of League 1 in 2023/24?" 

Also ML was out of contract in the summer. I doubt very much we were his only option.

Not saying he'll stay forever but I'm not sure the family are in a mad rush for him to leave even if TS maybe. 
    Could it end with family Sandgaard overruling them though for a cash grab?
    If the money’s right, everyone’s for sale at pretty much any club. 
  • Options
    edited September 2022
    I think there sometimes is a point where a young player has the confidence to back themselves and that can mean staying with a club. I'll expand. If they are in the team and improving there is a point when a big club comes in and speculatively signs them. The downside of that is they are taking a punt. If they back themselves to keep improving, there is a point when the big club signs them as more than a punt. 

I wonder how Diego Poyet's career might have gone had he stayed with us. What surprised me most about his departure was his dad was an ex professional and as a family money surely wasn't tight. Leaburn has parents who may see beyond the instant riches. Of course if a player lacks the confidence they may feel it is best to cash in whilst they can.
  • Options
    Did he have a release clause/price put in his contract like Gomez or am i imagining I read that 
  • Options
    Did he have a release clause/price put in his contract like Gomez or am i imagining I read that 
    Wouldn’t have been mentioned on the OS and can’t find any mention of it in the SLP.

That’s not to say he doesn’t have one. Either way TS will have a value in mind which I’d only see increasing if several clubs were after him.
  • Options
    AndyG said:

I really hope you're right and I am wrong.

I just think the planets are going to align in January and ML will depart.

Time will tell.
  • Options
    Really hope we can keep him but not optimistic.
  • Options
    Yes, £50
  • Options
    ross1 said:
    Really is depressing being a Charlton fan. Leaburn looks a great prospect but you know he'll be sold in January and someone else's fans will get to enjoy him develop in a higher league 
    You were told this by KM years ago😥😥
    And I was told by Thomas Sandgaard that Miles Leaburn would be not playing to many games for us this season and would be one to look forward to in the future.
    I got the impression he would say with Charlton for a few more years and then be sold when bigger amounts of money were offered.
    We will just have to wait and see .
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Bilko said:
    LenGlover said:
    What makes me laugh, after last Tuesday nights game against Forest Green, many on here were saying he wasn’t good enough, me personally thought he wasn’t that bad and now people are shitting themselves that he could be gone in January.
    People do forget. One unflattering game and they're not good enough. Score a goal and they're signing for Chelsea. And either way, it's Sandgaard's fault.
  • Options
    Unfortunately that back flick goal alone will mean interest in Miles will be even  hotter  come the next window.
    Hope TS is not so short sighted as to sell in January. 
    However he will be sorely tempted to cash in  come the summer window imo _ going by his comments to CAST  & FF.

I've kept supporting the club through  more than 60 years, with a fair amount of rubbish football.
    Each game I returned still optimistic the boys would turn it around.

However if Miles is flogged off in January,  like Burstow, then I'm not sure i'll still have the motivation to watch.
    Also be questioning why i'm paying into valley gold.      
  • Options
    A new tv, the one big Carl got a few years back is on the blink! 😉
    Just joshing Mrs L x
  • Options
    I'll be impressed if the TV Carl got from Rumbelows is still working, given it'd be more than 30 years old.
  • Options
    Addictedoldgit said:
    Unfortunately that back flick goal alone will mean interest in Miles will be even  hotter  come the next window.
    Hope TS is not so short sighted as to sell in January. 
    However he will be sorely tempted to cash in  come the summer window imo _ going by his comments to CAST  & FF.

I've kept supporting the club through  more than 60 years, with a fair amount of rubbish football.
    Each game I returned still optimistic the boys would turn it around.

However if Miles is flogged off in January,  like Burstow, then I'm not sure i'll still have the motivation to watch.
    Also be questioning why i'm paying into valley gold.      
    Burstow only had 18 months left on his deal, so selling him in that January was probably the best deal we could get for him as once Chelsea show interest he wouldn’t have signed a new deal. Leaburn we have on a longer deal so I would hope we can keep him for at least 18 months in order to maximise his value and actually get some good use out of him ourselves. Would be stupid from both a footballing and business sense if we sell him in January, so as it’s Sandgaard we probably will sell him 
  • Options
    Bilko said:
    LenGlover said:
    What makes me laugh, after last Tuesday nights game against Forest Green, many on here were saying he wasn’t good enough, me personally thought he wasn’t that bad and now people are shitting themselves that he could be gone in January.
    As ever with these things people can shift too far in their opinion to one side based on one or a couple of games.  Personally, we don’t know if he’ll go on to have a bad, average, good or great career.

I think he’s going to be more effective at his stage of development coming off the bench.  I think it would be a big mistake to have him starting every game either replacing/alongside Stockley.  Stockley hasn’t started well, but he’s got 11 years on Leaburn, is physically a man (although Leaburn has a good physicality) and if we suddenly put too much pressure on him, it could set him back.

I recognise the argument that Stockley looks lost in this set up, but I’m not sure starting Leaburn week in, week out is the answer to that.  The decision to play Stockley in this set up is looking increasingly poor, and that’s at the door of BG, the recruitment and the owner.  He could still turn it round, but I don’t think any of us are seeing any signs 
  • Options
    edited September 2022
    Dane Scarlett is starting games for Pompey and he's the same age as Miles

Don't think it's too much pressure personally. I'm sure Miles would love to be starting games. 
  • Options
    Seems to me Stockley is a lot less mobile now compared to last season.
    We can only speculate if his back problem of last season is still hampering him ?
  • Options
    We can only speculate if his back problem of last season is still hampering him ?
    I think it's a definite possibility. Even allowing for the "system not suiting him", Stockley doesn't look quite right. He's not even winning as much as usual in the air.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I think it's a definite possibility. Even allowing for the "system not suiting him", Stockley doesn't look quite right. He's not even winning as much as usual in the air.
    Stockley was also at least getting chances in the first few games this season. So I thought he would start getting a bit more luck and start scoring a few. But now he is playing even worse and not even getting those chances so I just can’t see where his next goal is going to come from. Leaburn has to start on Saturday 
  • Options
    edited September 2022
    Sold by the New Year and loaned back from whatever money pit wants him in their 2nd reserve squad.
  • Options
    Bilko said:
    LenGlover said:
    Welcome to Charlton Life. Enjoy your stay.
  • Options
    NabySarr said:
    Stockley was also at least getting chances in the first few games this season. So I thought he would start getting a bit more luck and start scoring a few. But now he is playing even worse and not even getting those chances so I just can’t see where his next goal is going to come from. Leaburn has to start on Saturday 
    I think Stockley is playing without confidence. It seems to me he is going through the motions without conviction.  Maybe he is trying too hard perversly, but it is not coming naturally to him. He is an important player for us so Garner needs to look for answers. Stockley had a spell like this when he was with Preston.
  • Options
    I have a goal celebration ready for when Stockers sticks one in the net…

• Options
    Scoham said:
    Fingers crossed he is okay. I’ve not been as impressed with Miles in the games he has started - but thought he was excellent today even if he hadn’t of bagged that goal.
  • Options
    Chuks back. Miles out. Remind me who ran over the black cat?
  • Options
    Chuks back. Miles out. Remind me who ran over the black cat?
    Thomas  ;)