Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Worst Charlton Transfers - ( Where We've paid a Transfer Fee)

We've bought more than our fair share of duds down the years, players that have come with high hopes, big transfer fees , and have been absolutely awful for whatever reason.

Redfearn and Marcus Bent jump out for me who would you have in your top 3 worst transfers ( where we've paid a fee).

Comments

• Options
    Andy Jones
  • Options
    edited July 2022
    Across the last decade I'd say...

Ronnie Schwartz | Tamar Hemed | El-Hadji Ba | Zakarya Bergdich | Christophe Lepoint | Piotr Parzyszek

This is going off Wiki where it says the transfer was undisclosed.

I've ignored both Reza and Nego as both were Network transfers
  • Options
    I'd go for

Izale McLeod 
    Christophe Lepoint 
    Zakarya Bergdich. 

There's probably some Roland era rubbish I'm forgetting that cost a fee of some kind. 
  • Options
    Where to start??

Jeffers?
    My first thought too. 
  • Options
    Viggo Jacobsen  
    Johnny Ostergaard
    Barry Endean 
  • Options
    RedPanda said:
    Djimi Traore
    Simon Walton
    Izale McLeod

For the amount spent, still a record LG2 transfer, to the return on the pitch... I think this is it for me.
  • Options
    Tony Towner
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited July 2022
    Bradley Allen signed for quite a big fee (by our standards) and did very little.
  • Options
    edited July 2022
    Gary Rowett cost around £4 mill and only played a handful of games. Unlucky with injury so not a dud but not a good return for the money
  • Options
    McLeod, Rowett, Jones, Traore, Hasselbaink to name but a few
  • Options
    edited July 2022
    There have been many worse players, especially under Roland, but for me in terms of expectation when they signed the worst 2 for me are without doubt Jeffers and Redfearn.

Redfearn scored 19 & 14 the 2 years before he joined, then for us he scored 3. 

EDIT: thinking about it i'd also add Rommedahl to that. His late winner at Palace seems to give him a pass by many but for 3 years he was basically pretty shit. He scored more for Denmark than he did for us during those 3 seasons.
  • Options
    Don't think you can go past Jeffers, hugely rated, big signing, and completely useless. Remember him missing a sitter at Carrow Road which summed him up completely at Charlton
  • Options
    Karim Bagheri
  • Options
    Faye
    Traore 
    McLeod
  • Options
    Dorian Smith
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Pedro45 said:
    Dorian Smith
    Did we pay a fee?
  • Options
    Maybe loan fee, may not count.

but Dan Seabourne was absolutely terrible. I cannot remember the specific game, but I remember him being rinsed by the opposition and thinking this guy is terrible. Then a high looping ball which needed a simple control came to him and he couldn’t trap it and it ballooned off of the pitch. Professional footballer can’t control a football. Madness
  • Options
    Luke Varney and Nicky Ajose were further striker flops
  • Options
    Luke Varney and Nicky Ajose were further striker flops
    Wash your mouth out. Varney forgiven for his Palace double. He actually did ok I thought and we recouped most of what we paid too. 
  • Options
    didn't we pay £500k for Omar Puso to play 45 minutes?
  • Options
    Martin Christensen - Peak Pardew signing
  • Options
    Ronnie Schwartz
  • Options
    Amdy Faye . Not only the worst player i've ever seen play for Charlton but we paid millions for him. I'm still convinced he and his agent were scammers and that he was never a pro footballer.