Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Worst Charlton Transfers - ( Where We've paid a Transfer Fee)

1235»

Comments

• Options
    edited July 2022
    David Campbell signed from Nottingham Forest for £75k. I hoped we were getting another Colin Walsh....but we weren't. 

I happened to be at his last ever pro game, for Cambridge Utd (his debut) v Brentford. Cambridge lost 6-0 and the poor sod broke his leg. 
  • Options
    Redfearn or Andy Gray for me. Been many over the years but those two were particularly guff

both really disappointing

with the exception of 1 thing I was disappointed in Rommedshl too overall
  • Options
    Across the last decade I'd say...

Ronnie Schwartz | Tamar Hemed | El-Hadji Ba | Zakarya Bergdich | Christophe Lepoint | Piotr Parzyszek

This is going off Wiki where it says the transfer was undisclosed.

I've ignored both Reza and Nego as both were Network transfers
    Nego had 1 game and is now a Hungarian International.  It would be wrong to include  him.
    Thats like saying Simon Francis was a great signing for us too, because he went on to play in the Premier League
  • Options
    I'm absolutely sure we didn't actually pay a fee for Jeffers 
  • Options
    Chizz said:
    I'm absolutely sure we didn't actually pay a fee for Jeffers 
    Correct. Can't remember how the info reached me but Curbs had apparently said that Arsenal wanted to save face a little by recouping some of their 8 million outlay so we agreed with them to put it out as a 2 million quid deal. 
  • Options
    Pawel Abbott 
  • Options
    Ajose's got off lightly with only 1 mention on here... what a complete waste of money. 
  • Options
    Pawel Abbott - he only cost about 80 quid, but we were still robbed blind. 
  • Options
    Vetokele, I know very controversial but if we spent over £2m for him then was only worth it for about 3 months.
  • Options
    Suprised Francis Jeffers hasn’t had more mentions 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Gary Rowett is probably the right answer although not on ability. 3mil for 15 odd appearances 
  • Options
    Andy Jones
    That was my pick, I remember reading an article on the day he signed saying he saw the move from Port Vale as a stepping stone. Never lived up to the hype!
  • Options
    Kap10 said:
    Andy Jones
    That was my pick, I remember reading an article on the day he signed saying he saw the move from Port Vale as a stepping stone. Never lived up to the hype!
    And in his last season he went from lean striker to fatboy? The miss at Oldham? Real disappointment.
  • Options
    edited July 2022
    Kap10 said:
    Andy Jones
    Jones didn’t help himself, his weight was a real problem and he never got fit enough for the top flight.

One very telling moment with Jones came at a quiz night at the training ground with the Junior Reds.

Jones was on our table and it was coming towards the end of the night and there was a solitary can of Kronenbourg left on the table.

”Anyone mind if I have that can?” Jones asked.

”I wouldn’t if I were you Jonesy, the boss (Lennie) is about,” said Steve Gritt, not exactly an abstemious man himself when it came to a beer.

Jones couldn’t help himself, reached for the beer and glugged away, sure enough, right on cue, Lennie - a fitness fanatic - ambles over and sees Jones as the only person on the table still downing beers.

”All right there, Jonesy?” Lennie says, with a withering look that made it pretty clear that he hadn’t invested £350,000 on the “new Ian Rush” only to have him behave like Max Boyce.

Jones put the beer down pretty sharpish but the damage had been done!
  • Options
    Ralph Milne
  • Options
    Only seen one mention of Neil Redfern. To quote monty pythons…….. what did he ever do for us? 
  • Options
    I don't think we payed a fee but Marcus tudgay was one of the worst players o have ever seen in a Charlton shirt
  • Options
    The obvious choices have been done but another vote for Traore, absolute dog shit.

I think we signed him for a million and sold him to pompey for 500k 5 months later....

I remember when we played at home to Liverpool i think it was and on MOTD Alan Hanson did a few minutes just ranting how terrible he was. About 5 clips of him looking to play the ball down the line and just passing it straight off the pitch each time.
  • Options

Ronnie Schwartz | Tamar Hemed | El-Hadji Ba | Zakarya Bergdich | Christophe Lepoint | Piotr Parzyszek

Nego had 1 game and is now a Hungarian International.  It would be wrong to include  him.
    Thats like saying Simon Francis was a great signing for us too, because he went on to play in the Premier League
    Not at all...Francis did not click after plenty of games. The boo boys got at him . 
    Nego had one game only and that was at Wigan.  We never really saw him. However  his career indicates he could have been OK. Obviously  better than Solly and there in lies a problem. 
    The Hungarian Premier League is a decent level of Football then?
  • Options
    Would Chucks on a 3.5 year deal make the top 10 ? 😂
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Faye

/thread
  • Options

Not at all...Francis did not click after plenty of games. The boo boys got at him . 
    Nego had one game only and that was at Wigan.  We never really saw him. However  his career indicates he could have been OK. Obviously  better than Solly and there in lies a problem. 
    Currently better than Solly yes, but not at the time. Nego signed in January 2014, the previous two seasons Solly was our POTY in our title winning season and in the Championship.
  • Options
    Might have been chump change, but I could never understand why we paid a fee for pawel abbott.
  • Options
    Wasn't there someone in the prem days, that we signed for a decent fee, sent him out on loan where he got sent off 2 games in a row and then never played for us or them again?
  • Options
    Just googled... Simon walton, was sent off 3 times when out on loan and never appeared for us, we paid 500k for him!
  • Options
    CAFCsayer said:
    Just googled... Simon walton, was sent off 3 times when out on loan and never appeared for us, we paid 500k for him!
    Really ? I’m sure he played for us 
  • Options
    CAFCsayer said:
    Really ? I’m sure he played for us 
    I think he played a handful of pre-season friendlies and then got shipped out.