Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Worst Charlton Transfers - ( Where We've paid a Transfer Fee)

Comments

• Options
    Scoham said:
    Faye and Traore have to be up there, signed on the same day for a combined £4m I think.
    Not only up there but undoubtedly in my opinion in the number one spot.

After all the years when Curbs bought sensibly and sparingly, how on earth did Murray give Pardew the go-ahead to waste so much money on these two?
    didnt Dowie sign them?
    Spot on. Can only put it down to my brain still being frazzled by the heat on Tuesday!
  • Options
    Across the last decade I'd say...

Ronnie Schwartz | Tamar Hemed | El-Hadji Ba | Zakarya Bergdich | Christophe Lepoint | Piotr Parzyszek

This is going off Wiki where it says the transfer was undisclosed.

I've ignored both Reza and Nego as both were Network transfers
    God, I forgot about them. Have the shivers just reading that post.
  • Options
    Pardew demanded that we signed Gray and that he would get us promoted
  • Options
    That two year period after Curbs left we wasted so much money (that sadly Curbs would have spent wisely):

Faye £2m
    Traore £2m
    Diawara £3.7m (and a £900k loss in a year)
    Varney £2m (loaned out and lost £1m a year later)
    McLeod £1.1m

Diawara was a cracking player - had an excellent career after leaving Charlton.
    He was way too good for us. Shouldn't be on a list like that. 
    Did you see the Wycombe game ?

• Options
    Luke Varney and Nicky Ajose were further striker flops
    Wash your mouth out. Varney forgiven for his Palace double. He actually did ok I thought and we recouped most of what we paid too. 
    The money received went to Pardew as payment for us sacking him.
  • Options
    Marcus Bent £2.3m and didn’t break sweat once. I’d be surprised if he even made the effort to break wind

We paid money for Marcus Bent?! Good lord.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    kodfish said:
    Paul Benson
    think this one's harsh, not his fault he got played as a target man under Parkinson and replaced by BWP by Jan of that season

On ability one of the worst but far better value for money than many mentioned in here. Tried his best and got into double figures which is more than a various former strikers did.
  • Options
    kodfish said:
    Paul Benson
    I quite liked Benson tbh!
  • Options
    1. Amdy Faye
    2. Amdy Faye
    3. Amdy Faye

Can't believe we paid for this useless pile of turd.  My least favorite player of all time by an absolute country mile.  Not only useless, not only on big money but against Wycombe in that debacle of a cup game he kicked a ball straight off the pitch and just shrugged his shoulders.  He could not give a shit.
    Christ. I didn't realise he played so many games for us! I do remember him scoring away at Pompey though. Our only away win of the season I think. He scuffed the ball at goal during a penalty box melee, it rebounded off david james and back off Fayes shin looping over the the keeper into the net. Glorious stuff!
  • Options
    Lepoint has to be the worst. There is no way that guy is a professional footballer, he chased the ball like he was on a primary school football pitch. 
  • Options
    The Premier league side that we went down with had some absolute dossers of professionals in. Traore stands out for me as does Boughera, ma lot of people liked him but I had his number, a dirty bastard too. 

Varney I cant have on this list, worked his bollocks off every single time he aged for us and so gle handedly ripped Palace apart.

McCleod was and still is a wanker and the fact we paid what we did for him nearly made me and @northstandsteve combust utter wanker is McLeod. Youga can also eat a bag of dicks, bottle merchant. Moutakill I thought with his rabona cross in his home debut for Marcus Bent to open the scoring v Scunthorpe was going to be a future galactico, turns out that was as good as it got. Semedo should have stayed a centre half, the crab and Racon was a bottler too. 

Diawara was a good defender but I will always hold resentment for in my opinion costing us the game v Wigan in the 07 season ducking under the ball. 

Francis Jeffers, wanker, I think Curbs had his paws burned a bit with him and was so so reluctant to sign anyone with a bit of alleged pedigree since and moved away from his method of rightly signing people based on their character. 

Since then the last decade I could write a book about the squad and it would be easier to pick out players I liked/rated/warmed to as opposed to the ocean of oily shite we signed and paid a wage to 
  • Options
    Carter said:
    The Premier league side that we went down with had some absolute dossers of professionals in. Traore stands out for me as does Boughera, ma lot of people liked him but I had his number, a dirty bastard too. 

Varney I cant have on this list, worked his bollocks off every single time he aged for us and so gle handedly ripped Palace apart.

McCleod was and still is a wanker and the fact we paid what we did for him nearly made me and @northstandsteve combust utter wanker is McLeod. Youga can also eat a bag of dicks, bottle merchant. Moutakill I thought with his rabona cross in his home debut for Marcus Bent to open the scoring v Scunthorpe was going to be a future galactico, turns out that was as good as it got. Semedo should have stayed a centre half, the crab and Racon was a bottler too. 

Diawara was a good defender but I will always hold resentment for in my opinion costing us the game v Wigan in the 07 season ducking under the ball. 

Francis Jeffers, wanker, I think Curbs had his paws burned a bit with him and was so so reluctant to sign anyone with a bit of alleged pedigree since and moved away from his method of rightly signing people based on their character. 

Since then the last decade I could write a book about the squad and it would be easier to pick out players I liked/rated/warmed to as opposed to the ocean of oily shite we signed and paid a wage to 

I rated Youga.
  • Options
    Cory Gibbs hasn’t had a mention yet!!
  • Options
    Cory Gibbs hasn’t had a mention yet!!
    Because we didn’t pay a fee for him.
  • Options
    Gary Rowett cost around £4 mill and only played a handful of games. Unlucky with injury so not a dud but not a good return for the money
    Was a very good player though….a real shame.🥺
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Jimmy Floyd Hasselbaink
  • Options
    Forget my comment Hasselbaink was a free agent
  • Options
    Jimmy Floyd Hasselbaink
    Came on a free
  • Options
    For me the worst signings are always linked to the damage they did. Traore was terrible but at last we could put Hermann there when we needed. McLeod was awful, awful value but he was shit amongst a river of shit. Bougherra was horrific value and managed to be just as bad in the Championship as he was in the Premier League so is a real contender. Faye though. Jesus Christ. £2m on him, 28 Premier League appearances. He once looked ok at centre back and other than that I don't think he ever looked like he could play football. He played more than Kish that season and made Bryan Hughes look like Andrea Pirlo. The worst part is Faye had been ok at Portsmouth but atrocious at Newcastle, lasting a season and a half and being terrible for the entire time. The fact we targeted him regardless and then let them make their money back on him was disgraceful, and he proceeded to allow teams to walk through us to help us get relegated. I don't think there's any signing that did more damage to us as a club than that one.
    Faye and Dowie had the same agent in 2006...
    Faye was ment to come the previous January as well. 
  • Options
    edited July 2022
    Going back a good few years, Terry Bullivant was very expensive by our standards at the time (£80K) I think and from what I recall produced little for that sort of outlay.

EDIT: £108K was the fee according to this: https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/terry-bullivant/profil/trainer/15344
  • Options
    Joe McLaughlin from Chelsea.
    Didn't we sign him from Chelsea to play alongside Colin Pates (former teammate) and then promptly sold Pates to Arsenal.
    Don't think that McLaughlin was a bad buy at all.
  • Options
    edited July 2022
    Omurchu said:
    Carl tiler
    Are you a forest fan?  There is almost an entire chapter on him in Clough's autobiography, almost single handedly blamed signing for them getting relegated than saying it wasn't Carl's fault. 
  • Options
    The Pardew era was a disaster with regard to the transfer market (and everything else), as he seemed determined to overpay for players.
  • Options
    That two year period after Curbs left we wasted so much money (that sadly Curbs would have spent wisely):

Faye £2m
    Traore £2m
    Diawara £3.7m (and a £900k loss in a year)
    Varney £2m (loaned out and lost £1m a year later)
    McLeod £1.1m

You basically stole my post.

The Holy Trinity of Shite: Faye, Traore & Diawara.