Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Worst Charlton Transfers - ( Where We've paid a Transfer Fee)

Comments

• Options
    That two year period after Curbs left we wasted so much money (that sadly Curbs would have spent wisely):

Faye £2m
    Traore £2m
    Diawara £3.7m (and a £900k loss in a year)
    Varney £2m (loaned out and lost £1m a year later)
    McLeod £1.1m

Diawara was a cracking player - had an excellent career after leaving Charlton.
    He was awful for us, couldn’t handle the aerial stuff in the English game, got bullied for fun by the aggressive number 9s.

By the end of the season was dropped for HH an the Elk.
  • Options
    I liked diawara, but remember a few stories about him turning up for training pissed. Dowie described him as "the best defender you've never heard of" and whilst he was good, maybe no thought went into settling him in? 
  • Options
    Traore went from champions league winner to Charltonised in15 fucking months 
  • Options
    I really thought Andy Jones from Port Vale was gonna be the bollox. So many teams were linked with him. 
  • Options
    Rocket Ronnie all day long. Or maybe he just didn't get the service 🤣
  • Options
    edited July 2022
    Traore... worst ever ECL winner ever surely? Imagine being part of the starting line up of a champions league winning team and being valued at what? 5 million? Liverpool knew... then mugged us off on the shelvey price a few years later... 
  • Options
    Taxi_Lad said:
    1.5m for Andy Gray from Barnsley I think
    That was my first thought 
  • Options
    Also.. not sure we paid a fee but biggest let down? Jesper Blomqvist.. I remember being at school among Man U, Spurs etc fans... when we signed him I finally had an excuse to give it the big un for the first time ever.. my counterparts were suitably impressed.. what a fucking let down that was.
  • Options
    Jeffers wins but didn't we pay the same (£2.5m) for Marcus Bent?
    Glad someone else mentioned Marcus Bent, drove me up the wall, unluckily after meeting him up at old Trafford he simply confirmed my low opinion. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    It was. Beaten to it but Marcus Bent, Faye, McLeod,  Traore, Bullivant, Jeffers take some beating. So will throw in Tony Towner. 
  • Options
    edited July 2022
    Because I'm late and all the obvious ones have been mentioned... Left field, I'll go with Igor. Don't blame him too much, we made him play injured and basically ruined him.

But I remember that pre-season and first couple of months. Five goals in his first five league games including a double at Brighton. Shame it didn't last.
  • Options
    Because I'm late and all the obvious ones have been mentioned... Left field, I'll go with Igor. Don't blame him too much, we made him play injured and basically ruined him.

But I remember that pre-season and first couple of months. Five goals in his first five league games including a double at Brighton. Shame it didn't last.

Remember an absolutely outrageous goal he scored at Pompey in a friendly , thought we'd found someone very very special after how he started and then he was completely mismanaged and we never saw that player again. Oh what could have been. 
  • Options

That doesn't make him one of the worst buys.
    He did well for us but, like you point out,  had his injury problems exacerbated by our handling of him.
  • Options
    Jack Burkett was a bit of a flop after being an ever-present at West Ham. I think the fee was small, but he moved on to Millwall and Southend (twice) without playing a game.
  • Options
    Ralph Milne
  • Options
    I give you, £80,000 from Millwall

Dave Mehmet

We have a winner, close the thread
  • Options
    edited July 2022

Igor was on fire 🔥 when he first joined before the injury happened. On that basis, he would be on my didn't fulfil potential list rather than rubbish list.

I have family in Ireland and was over there at the time when he was scoring. I was walking along the local high street and a guy stopped and shouted iggoooorrrrrr at me.

edit

I was wearing a Charlton top
  • Options
    Bradley Allen signed for quite a big fee (by our standards) and did very little.
    always thought he'd have been more successful if he played in boots instead of flip-flops 
  • Options
    kodfish said:
    Ralph Milne

Was trawling through the posts wondering why Ralph Milne' s name hadn't been mentioned. On signing he was described as a combative midfielder with a ferocious shot on him. Ha ha, I remember watching him lurking out wide, very occasionally getting the ball, then doing nothing with it. I swear he had one leg shorter than the other. I reckon we bought an insurance write off.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Melrose said:
    kodfish said:
    Ralph Milne

Was trawling through the posts wondering why Ralph Milne' s name hadn't been mentioned. On signing he was described as a combative midfielder with a ferocious shot on him. Ha ha, I remember watching him lurking out wide, very occasionally getting the ball, then doing nothing with it. I swear he had one leg shorter than the other. I reckon we bought an insurance write off.
    Who went onto play for Man Utd 😎
  • Options

Dave Mehmet

Iirc we got him off Tampa Bay. He had already left Millwall the previous year.
  • Options
    edited July 2022
    McBobbin said:
    I liked diawara, but remember a few stories about him turning up for training pissed. Dowie described him as "the best defender you've never heard of" and whilst he was good, maybe no thought went into settling him in? 
    I think you’ll find it was Murray who described him as that.
    Yeah and he meant it sarcastically at the time, if I'm not mistaken.

Neil Redfearn is my shout. Very excited we signed him at the time, and I have a lot of memories of our first year in the prem, but I don't remember him doing anything. 
  • Options
    That two year period after Curbs left we wasted so much money (that sadly Curbs would have spent wisely):

Faye £2m
    Traore £2m
    McLeod £1.1m

He was awful for us, couldn’t handle the aerial stuff in the English game, got bullied for fun by the aggressive number 9s.

Diawara made a couple of mistakes as he adjusted to rhe hoofball game that was being played - don't remember him being bullied. A class player compared to HH etc..
  • Options
    Richard J said:

Dave Mehmet

Iirc we got him off Tampa Bay. He had already left Millwall the previous year.
    Having checked Valiant 500, you are indeed correct - I doff my cap to you sir 
  • Options
    swordfish said:
    Melrose said:
    kodfish said:
    Ralph Milne

Who went onto play for Man Utd 😎
    Yep. Think he went there after a stint at Bristol City. For me, still one the most unlikely/bizarre transfers in modern times.

• Options

Faye £2m
    Traore £2m
    McLeod £1.1m

Did we sign another Diawara ? because the one that i saw who played for us was class. 
    Class? We were relegated and by the end of the season he was so bad he was not even in the match day squad.

A particularly vivid memory was him absolutely shitting the bed vs Sheffield United at home and being subbed for Bougherra in the last 15 minutes.

No doubt he had quality in the French game but he wasn’t cut out for English football.
  • Options

Faye £2m
    Traore £2m
    McLeod £1.1m

Did we sign another Diawara ? because the one that i saw who played for us was class. 
    I think how bad he was has been overstated a little bit but he definitely wasn't class for us. He played 26 games in a defence that conceded 60 goals and finished 19th. I think if we'd been less bad overall he might have had a bit more time to adapt but he was a long way from class sadly
  • Options
    Marcus Bent
    It's not even a contest