Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Worst Charlton Transfers - ( Where We've paid a Transfer Fee)

Comments

• Options
    Luke Varney and Nicky Ajose were further striker flops
    Wash your mouth out. Varney forgiven for his Palace double. He actually did ok I thought and we recouped most of what we paid too. 
    Pretty sure we lost £1m when we sold him. 
  • Options
    Joe McLaughlin from Chelsea.
  • Options
    didn't we pay £500k for Omar Puso to play 45 minutes?
    Thankfully only ever a loan deal
  • Options
    Jeffers wins but didn't we pay the same (£2.5m) for Marcus Bent?
  • Options
    That two year period after Curbs left we wasted so much money (that sadly Curbs would have spent wisely):

Faye £2m
    Traore £2m
    Diawara £3.7m (and a £900k loss in a year)
    Varney £2m (loaned out and lost £1m a year later)
    McLeod £1.1m

Diawara was a cracking player - had an excellent career after leaving Charlton.
    We still wasted money on him by selling him at nearly a million less in a year.
  • Options
    We never actually paid £2.5m for Jeffers though did we? 
  • Options
    Martin Christensen - Peak Pardew signing
    Dean Sinclair another classic Pardew signing. £125k on a lower league journeyman who fell back into non-league where we signed him from.

https://web.archive.org/web/20070927175531/http://www.cafc.co.uk/newsview.ink?nid=31024

• Options
    Where to start??

Jeffers?
    This. £ for £. 

Some of the others mentioned the fee would have been less than £1m.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Andy Gray
  • Options
    Taxi_Lad said:
    1.5m for Andy Gray from Barnsley I think
    From Burnley, I think they got promoted not long after...

• Options
    Didn't Andy Gray have some pretty serious off the field things he was dealing with whilst he was with us? Remember him scoring a brace for Burnley at The Valley in I think the season before he signed? 
  • Options
    Whenever I think of shit overpriced signings I think of Madjid "Magic" Boughera. Wiki says we paid 2.5m for him, but amazingly Rangers stumped up the same to take him off our hands!
  • Options
    edited July 2022
    MarcusH26 said:
    Didn't Andy Gray have some pretty serious off the field things he was dealing with whilst he was with us? Remember him scoring a brace for Burnley at The Valley in I think the season before he signed? 
    He did.

It didn't work out and so was a waste of money from our point of view, but think his wife was seriously ill I think so it was understandable.
  • Options
    Simon Walton, though not sure if we stumped up the full one million. 
  • Options
    YTS1978 said:
    Whenever I think of shit overpriced signings I think of Madjid "Magic" Boughera. Wiki says we paid 2.5m for him, but amazingly Rangers stumped up the same to take him off our hands!
    Still remember meeting Alan Pardew outside the Valley, the day Madjid went to Rangers

Was at one of those training days open to the public - Asked him if there was an update on the transfer, Pardew was already walking away replied: "Madjid's Gone", and stomped off, didnt even look back as he answered... What a twat I thought!!
  • Options
    MarcusH26 said:
    Remember seeing Jeffers debut at home to Aston Villa , scored a brace and looked like the player that broke through at Everton . That was a one off. 

Had that game in my mind when I saw your post. After that I can't remember him playing so he must have became a sly fox in the box in the shadows.
  • Options
    Worst collective midfield, against Chelsea I think, Denis Rommedahl, Puoso, Amdy Faye and Darren Ambrose, a pile of shit from left to right. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Luke Varney and Nicky Ajose were further striker flops
    Wash your mouth out. Varney forgiven for his Palace double. He actually did ok I thought and we recouped most of what we paid too. 
    Pretty sure we lost £1m when we sold him. 
    Possibly, I thought he was 1.2 plus add ons (appearances and promotion clause). I was under impression we ended up paying around 1.6 and got 1.1/1.2 back but could be wrong. 
  • Options
    Carl tiler
  • Options
    Paul Benson
  • Options
    For me the worst signings are always linked to the damage they did. Traore was terrible but at last we could put Hermann there when we needed. McLeod was awful, awful value but he was shit amongst a river of shit. Bougherra was horrific value and managed to be just as bad in the Championship as he was in the Premier League so is a real contender. Faye though. Jesus Christ. £2m on him, 28 Premier League appearances. He once looked ok at centre back and other than that I don't think he ever looked like he could play football. He played more than Kish that season and made Bryan Hughes look like Andrea Pirlo. The worst part is Faye had been ok at Portsmouth but atrocious at Newcastle, lasting a season and a half and being terrible for the entire time. The fact we targeted him regardless and then let them make their money back on him was disgraceful, and he proceeded to allow teams to walk through us to help us get relegated. I don't think there's any signing that did more damage to us as a club than that one.
    Faye and Dowie had the same agent in 2006...
  • Options
    Scoham said:
    Faye and Traore have to be up there, signed on the same day for a combined £4m I think.
    Not only up there but undoubtedly in my opinion in the number one spot.

After all the years when Curbs bought sensibly and sparingly, how on earth did Murray give Pardew the go-ahead to waste so much money on these two?
  • Options
    Scoham said:
    Faye and Traore have to be up there, signed on the same day for a combined £4m I think.

After all the years when Curbs bought sensibly and sparingly, how on earth did Murray give Pardew the go-ahead to waste so much money on these two?
    didnt Dowie sign them?
  • Options
    Scoham said:

didnt Dowie sign them?
    Yep they were Dowie signings.