Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

30 YEARS BACK AT THE VALLEY CELEBRATIONS PLANNED

Charlton Athletic will be celebrating the 30-year anniversary of their historic return to The Valley with a number of events planned throughout the upcoming 2022/23 season. 

This season also marks 30 years of the community programme, now fondly known as Charlton Athletic Community Trust. 

The home game against Cheltenham Town on Saturday, December 3rd (3pm) falls closest to the anniversary and will see the Valley faithful come together to celebrate, with full details to be confirmed closer to the event. 

 Meanwhile, the Women’s team game on the same weekend will also see celebrations surrounding the return to SE7 while a legends game is also set to take place at The Valley. 

A committee has been set up to oversee and deliver events throughout the season. Chaired by Steve Sutherland, Community Trust Ambassador and a former Charlton Athletic Commercial Director, it includes Fan Adviser Lucy Bishop, club legend Keith Peacock, club staff and Community Trust staff. Details about upcoming 30-year anniversary events will be announced in due course.

https://www.charltonafc.com/news/30-years-back-valley-celebrations-planned

Comments

• Options
    Hope it's better than the 25th Anniversary 'Committee'
  • Options
    It was a great day. I turned up without a tickets and managed to scrounge a ticket from someone who had a spare outside the ground. Gotta dig out the photos I took.
  • Options
    Has the club involved any of CAST, museum volunteers or Valley Gold prior to this announcement, I wonder.
  • Options
    A bit of a tenuous period of time to celebrate really. 

I agree with commemorating the anniversary every year, but big celebrations should be left to major anniversaries like 10 and 25
  • Options
    A bit of a tenuous period of time to celebrate really. 

I agree with commemorating the anniversary every year, but big celebrations should be left to major anniversaries like 10 and 25
    Yeah we are bit spoilt for big celebrations to be fair 
    If you celebrate something too often, it becomes devalued 
  • Options
    edited July 2022
    clive said:

Charlton Athletic will be celebrating the 30-year anniversary of their historic return to The Valley with a number of events planned throughout the upcoming 2022/23 season. 

This season also marks 30 years of the community programme, now fondly known as Charlton Athletic Community Trust. 

The home game against Cheltenham Town on Saturday, December 3rd (3pm) falls closest to the anniversary and will see the Valley faithful come together to celebrate, with full details to be confirmed closer to the event. 

 Meanwhile, the Women’s team game on the same weekend will also see celebrations surrounding the return to SE7 while a legends game is also set to take place at The Valley. 

A committee has been set up to oversee and deliver events throughout the season. Chaired by Steve Sutherland, Community Trust Ambassador and a former Charlton Athletic Commercial Director, it includes Fan Adviser Lucy Bishop, club legend Keith Peacock, club staff and Community Trust staff. Details about upcoming 30-year anniversary events will be announced in due course.

So nobody who was involved in the campaign to return, once again. 

Might not the initial / core  committee reach out to those in due course ?  Surely at this stage nothing is determined / fixed and unwilling to engage wider. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited July 2022
    clive said:

Might not the initial / core  committee reach out to those in due course ?  Surely at this stage nothing is determined / fixed and unwilling to engage wider. 
    For the 25th they did eventually begin to include others (such as CAST). I went along to one meeting which to be honest was broadly a waste of time, it was lip service. I mentioned the Valley Party to which there were many blank faces, was asked who was in it to which I pointed them to the board hanging with everyone's name on it!

Maybe this time will be different, I'm not even sure the guy running it last time was a Charlton fan at all let alone back in 1992 and prior. Last time it just seemed to be about raising money for CACT. 
  • Options
    Rob7Lee said:
    clive said:

For the 25th they did eventually begin to include others (such as CAST). I went along to one meeting which to be honest was broadly a waste of time, it was lip service. I mentioned the Valley Party to which there were many blank faces, was asked who was in it to which I pointed them to the board hanging with everyone's name on it!

Maybe this time will be different, I'm not even sure the guy running it last time was a Charlton fan at all let alone back in 1992 and prior. Last time it just seemed to be about raising money for CACT. 
    The head of the committee 5 years ago was Sir Stuart Etherington

https://www.charltonafc.com/news/view/595526a8e96c0/sir-stuart-etherington-discusses-25th-anniversary-committees-plans
  • Options
    The full committee 5 years ago was

The full committee now consists of:

·       Sir Stuart Etherington: Chief Executive of the National Council for Voluntary Organisations. He is Chairman of the Patron's Fund, a former Chair of the University of Greenwich and a Charlton supporter

·       Lord Michael Grade: Former Chief Executive of Channel 4 and Chairman of the BBC. A former Director of Charlton Athletic Football Club

·       Jason Morgan: CEO of Charlton Athletic Community Trust, started the community programme in 1992

·       Keith Peacock: Charlton’s record outfield appearance holder, club legend, former coach and now Club Ambassador

·       Paul Martin: Retired senior corporate banker as Head of Charities & Social Enterprise at The Co-operative Bank and long-term season ticket holder in the Covered End

·       Chris Parkes: Club Secretary at Charlton Athletic who has been working at the club since 1988

• Options
    Has the club involved any of CAST, museum volunteers or Valley Gold prior to this announcement, I wonder.
    Not from the museum.
  • Options
    Rob7Lee said:
    clive said:

Well I imagine Steve Sutherland can be trusted to engage with the right people ?
  • Options
    Has Martin Sangaard joined yet? No doubt a very expensive do in Crossbars, commemorative shirts, parade of ex players - not involving the above is a bit naive putting it mildly. 
  • Options
    edited July 2022
    Not from the museum.
    The club set up a committee to celebrate the 30th anniversary of the most historic event in our collective history but didn’t think to include the museum, the supporters’ trust or anyone involved in the supporter-led campaign. Right.

it’s just completely tone deaf.
    I hope I'm wrong, but as I said, last time it was all about raising money for CACT (don't get me wrong, a noble cause and something we should celebrate, but not when celebrating BTTV).

It certainly smells to be heading the same way if those you would expect to have been part of any planning discussion have not been.

Just read the article properly;

"The club will commit a proportion of event proceeds to the Community Trust in recognition of 30 years of community work. "
  • Options
    Hope TS pens a ditty...
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Not from the museum.
    The club set up a committee to celebrate the 30th anniversary of the most historic event in our collective history but didn’t think to include the museum, the supporters’ trust or anyone involved in the supporter-led campaign. Right.

So, which members of staff will be on the committee as there can't be too many of them still in post from the BTTV days....especially as Chris Parkes has left the club ?

Clearly, Jason will represent the views of CACT - appropriate as it is also a 30 year anniversary relevant to them - but as AB asked, who will represent The Valley Party ? 

The very wording of the headline announcement from the club today states " 30 years BACK AT THE VALLEY celebrations planned ".

If I remember correctly, when we attended the 25th Anniversary dinner, it was CACT people that were organising the evening which Rob7Lee alludes to but I could be wrong.

I presume these dinners are never set up to make a loss or break even, so where does any profit made find its "home" ? 
  • Options
    MrOneLung said:
    How about the womens game followed by the men in a double header 
    Exactly what I was thinking.
  • Options
    Not from the museum.

Is "tone" a word of importance there?
  • Options
    edited July 2022
    I’ve always been immensely proud of having the privilege of celebrating back to the Valley 20 in Bartram’s through CAS Trust along with the fan unity and support that allowed us a fledgling group to take on that task and make it our launch event too.

We wanted to honour the role of fans and the Valley party and that’s what we did with many of them in attendance, we felt a strong affinity with them as you can imagine and had no problem therefore with hanging off their coat tails. The club showed zero interest at the time but some staff members did and helped us.

https://issuu.com/castrust/docs/castrustnews1

https://issuu.com/castrust/docs/castrustnews2/1?ff

• Options
    edited July 2022
    Rob7Lee said:
    clive said:

Well I imagine Steve Sutherland can be trusted to engage with the right people ?
    Why the LOL @Airman Brown   is SS not an appropriate choice to be involved?

I don't get the initial distrust that this initiative wont engage with wider stakeholders - surely its initial meetings will do just that i..e get some ideas on the table and consider who else do they & work with etc. I don't see how at this very early stage it can be 'tone deaf'. 

Am I missing something?
  • Options
    edited July 2022
    Rob7Lee said:
    clive said:

Why the LOL @airmanbrown is SS not an appropriate choice to be involved?

I don't get the initial distrust that this initiative wont engage with wider stakeholders - surely its initial meetings will do just that i..e get some ideas on the table and consider who else to trey & work with etc. I don't see how at this very early stage it can be 'tone deaf'. 

Am i missing something?
    Do you know Steve? If not, yes. I’m not going to say anything bad about him, of course he should be involved. That’s not the basis of my reaction or the comment you actually made.
  • Options
    edited July 2022
    seth plum said:
    Will it be another overpriced meal with famous people invited to sit near you eating dubious food for free with a few inane speeches, maybe a question and answer session?
    I trudged up and down the bleak tower blocks in the Deptford part of Greenwich delivering Valley party leaflets, canvassed around the old Eltham baths area, demonstrated outside the Town hall keeping fans informed by alternating with Andy Lopata using a bullhorn, went down to help paint the new fences at the Valley and so much more, much more.
    And I can confidently say my contribution was a minor footnote compared with the contributions of so many others. Quite a few of whom are no longer with us God bless their hearts.
    A dreary fund raising dinner eating grey slop may have it’s place for some, but for me the event ought to be more about informing the younger generation about quite how powerful and vibrant the battle for the Valley was, rather than simply marking a moment in time. Not to aggrandise activists, but to let others know about the blood sweat and tears expended.
    And how without the return we would have no club.
    This to me is what it should really be all about trudging around in the cold and wet fighting for a cause. This struggle inspired and to me is what truly supporting a club is all about, not following manyooo in the premier league.