Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

30 YEARS BACK AT THE VALLEY CELEBRATIONS PLANNED

Comments

• Options
    edited October 2022
    It's a nice gimmick but it's Cheltenham Town, during the World Cup, in December. 
  • Options
    It's a nice gimmick but it's Cheltenham Town, during the World Cup, in December. 
    Albeit a gimmick that will see me and two kids going to The Valley for the first time this season...
  • Options
    WSS said:
    clive said:
    The home match against Cheltenham on Saturday, December 3rd (3pm KO BST) falls closest to the 30-year anniversary and will therefore serve as the club’s 'Back at The Valley' fixture.

Special matchday pricing will also be in place for the Cheltenham match with all adult, over 65 and U21 tickets priced at £19.92 each - a nod to the club's 1992 return - anywhere inside The Valley. Click here to purchase your ticket.

Meanwhile, student and U18 tickets will be priced at just £7 each. The club's first goal back at The Valley was, of course, netted by Colin Walsh in the seventh minute on that historic first game back in SE7 against Portsmouth.
    The award-winning Charlton Athletic Community Trust (CACT), which celebrates 30 years of community delivery, will be donated a percentage of proceeds from this game.
    https://www.charltonafc.com/news/join-anniversary-celebrations-our-back-valley-fixture

An insane £1.08 saving for the oldies and youngsters sitting in the Covered End lower. Not one for calling out everything but that is silly.
    Don’t forget that’s before the booking fee and late purchase tax….
  • Options
    And therefore important they do something for this match. If its the only gimmick / nod to the otherwise over inflated process we have a continued issue.
  • Options
    edited October 2022
    cafctom said:
    Alcafc1 said:
    If England finish second in the group they will be playing at the same time.
    Surely every game in the country would be moved to accommodate that - even if it means a late/early kick off. 
    Why?
    Its bad enough this World Cup is when it is, why should all other clubs have to bend over backwards to accommodate it.
    Let people decide what they want to do.
    🤷‍♀️
    Because if England are playing in the World Cup at the exact same time, then the attendance will be a fraction of what it already is.

If England are playing a knockout match in it - then everyone should have the right to be able to watch it without having to make the choice between choosing club or country for the day.

Whilst everyone wants to criticise this World Cup for varying reasons, an England match in the tournament is going to take priority for a lot of people.

• Options
    cafctom said:
    cafctom said:
    Alcafc1 said:
    Surely every game in the country would be moved to accommodate that - even if it means a late/early kick off. 
    Why?
    Its bad enough this World Cup is when it is, why should all other clubs have to bend over backwards to accommodate it.
    🤷‍♀️
    Because if England are playing in the World Cup at the exact same time, then the attendance will be a fraction of what it already is.

If England are playing a knockout match in it - then everyone should have the right to be able to watch it without having to make the choice between choosing club or country for the day.

Whilst everyone wants to criticise this World Cup for varying reasons, an England match in the tournament is going to take priority for a lot of people.

And there’s plenty of football fans who don’t support the national team (I’m not one of them btw).
    I think it’s mad to make every club move there fixtures to accommodate what ‘might’ happen.
  • Options
    Moving it to a Friday night, under lights, in the current climate?
    Thats a tall ask, for some clubs who are looking at playing games earlier so they don’t have to turn on the lights at all.
  • Options
    cafctom said:
    Alcafc1 said:
    Why?
    🤷‍♀️
    Clubs will move because of the revenue implications, if it comes to it. 
  • Options
    cafctom said:
    Alcafc1 said:
    Why?
    🤷‍♀️
    why on earth would the club not move it !!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Albeit a gimmick that will see me and two kids going to The Valley for the first time this season...
    Yes, I'm sure it will have a small positive effect on the attendance for that game. I just think it's still a difficult fixture at a difficult time and it isn't, of itself, going to be very significant.
  • Options
    Yes, I'm sure it will have a small positive effect on the attendance for that game. I just think it's still a difficult fixture at a difficult time and it isn't, of itself, going to be very significant.
    Relegation six pointer?
  • Options
    even if it's not England playing in the Saturday 3pm slot, there's still a WC game at the same time. I'd be amazed if any other games went up against it.

To be honest I've not checked as to how many possible clashes there potentially are, just seems madness and the only ones to suffer will be the League clubs in question
  • Options
    Have to say I feel quite uncomfortable celebrating this at the moment when I feel the club and the Valley are in arguably a weaker state that than they were even in the year before we finally got back
  • Options
    It’s not just because its winter though, it’s also where it is isn’t it?
    I know quite a few who aren’t going to be watching it at all because of that.
    Got to admit I’m still in two minds myself.

Anyway. I still find it hard to imagine that if the club are organising this game already with donations going to CAST etc that they’ll still change it lastminute.com 

But then, what do I know.

If they do change it, at least my flight is early Friday morning & I’ll still see it……….hopefully.
  • Options
    edited October 2022

Anyway. I still find it hard to imagine that if the club are organising this game already with donations going to CAST etc that they’ll still change it lastminute.com 

If they do change it, at least my flight is early Friday morning & I’ll still see it……….hopefully.
    Again, regardless of where it is - when it comes down to it, people will be watching. World Cups are too few and far between for the average football fan to be picky about it. Especially when it involves England games.

A lot of people will say “I definitely won’t be watching”….I simply don’t believe them 🤷‍♂️
  • Options
    cafctom said:

Again, regardless of where it is - when it comes down to it, people will be watching. World Cups are too few and far between for the average football fan to be picky about it. Especially when it involves England games.

A lot of people will say “I definitely won’t be watching”….I simply don’t believe them 🤷‍♂️
    Quite a few I know who’ve said it are from the 🏳️‍⚧️ 🏳️‍🌈 communities who I believe will stick to the boycott.
    And that’s why I’m torn tbh.
  • Options
    seth plum said:
    Will it be another overpriced meal with famous people invited to sit near you eating dubious food for free with a few inane speeches, maybe a question and answer session?
    I trudged up and down the bleak tower blocks in the Deptford part of Greenwich delivering Valley party leaflets, canvassed around the old Eltham baths area, demonstrated outside the Town hall keeping fans informed by alternating with Andy Lopata using a bullhorn, went down to help paint the new fences at the Valley and so much more, much more.
    And I can confidently say my contribution was a minor footnote compared with the contributions of so many others. Quite a few of whom are no longer with us God bless their hearts.
    A dreary fund raising dinner eating grey slop may have it’s place for some, but for me the event ought to be more about informing the younger generation about quite how powerful and vibrant the battle for the Valley was, rather than simply marking a moment in time. Not to aggrandise activists, but to let others know about the blood sweat and tears expended.
    And how without the return we would have no club.
    Terrific post Seth. 
    I was stunned a few years back when I reconnected with my old school friend Simon Opie to discover that he’d trodden a similar path to yourself, delivering leaflets and canvassing for one of the VP candidates. He was the sponsor of Colin Walsh’s boots when he scored the first goal back at the Valley. 
     I went with him and his son to the playoff final, but sadly he’s more of a Brighton fan these days, as he lives down there. 
  • Options

Just to avoid any confusion - it is C.A.C.T not C.A.S.T !
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Are tickets still available for 21st October event, please ? 
  • Options
    EFL clubs can cancel any fixture that clashes with an England or Wales fixture during the WC. 
  • Options
    Yes. You can purchase through CAFC ticket office or send an email to secretary@castrust.org and CAST will get them for you and avoid the £1.50 admin charge
  • Options
    Pico said:
    Yes. You can purchase through CAFC ticket office or send an email to secretary@castrust.org and CAST will get them for you and avoid the £1.50 admin charge
    Thanks. Will buy our 2 tonight.
  • Options
    clive said:
    The home match against Cheltenham on Saturday, December 3rd (3pm KO BST) falls closest to the 30-year anniversary and will therefore serve as the club’s 'Back at The Valley' fixture.

Special matchday pricing will also be in place for the Cheltenham match with all adult, over 65 and U21 tickets priced at £19.92 each - a nod to the club's 1992 return - anywhere inside The Valley. Click here to purchase your ticket.

Meanwhile, student and U18 tickets will be priced at just £7 each. The club's first goal back at The Valley was, of course, netted by Colin Walsh in the seventh minute on that historic first game back in SE7 against Portsmouth.
    The award-winning Charlton Athletic Community Trust (CACT), which celebrates 30 years of community delivery, will be donated a percentage of proceeds from this game.
    https://www.charltonafc.com/news/join-anniversary-celebrations-our-back-valley-fixture

I actually like that.
    I’m flying over for this game.
    😊
    Flying over The Valley, good idea.
  • Options
    I hope Thomas will pen a new ditty to celebrate...   VIctory to Addicks or summit, he's a genius!
  • Options
    Pico said:

Just to avoid any confusion - it is C.A.C.T not C.A.S.T !
    Sorry.
    Thank you for amending 🙏🏻
  • Options
    Charlton’s home Sky Bet League One fixture against Cheltenham Town will now take place on Friday, December 2nd (7.45pm KO BST).
    https://www.charltonafc.com/news/date-moved-cheltenham-town-visit
  • Options
    clive said:
    Charlton’s home Sky Bet League One fixture against Cheltenham Town will now take place on Friday, December 2nd (7.45pm KO BST).
    The correct decision 
  • Options
    clive said:
    The amount of home night games this season is a joke. 
    Saturday 3pm is becoming a rarity.