Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

30 YEARS BACK AT THE VALLEY CELEBRATIONS PLANNED

Comments

• Options
    edited July 2022
  • Options
    I wonder how many of our younger or more recent fans actually know about what actually occurred to cause us to leave The Valley and what happened in those wilderness/nomadic years.
    Any celebration about being Back at The Valley has to acknowledge those years and the people that contributed to our return and not just focus on the fact that we have been back 30 years.
    Someone should write a book  ;)
  • Options
    seth plum said:
    Steve Sutherland was around during our return era, he even gave me a cup of tea from the old Valley club on the wonderful clean up day.
    Whatever anybody might say I would argue that both Steve Sutherland and Jason Morgan…amongst other well known Charltonians like Martin Simons and of course Steve Gritt were part of the whole enterprise back then.
    It doesn’t matter, but for the record SS wasn’t working for the club in 1992 when we went back. He’d left for the Football League by then.
  • Options

Given how many of our supporters are Charlton ‘by blood’, I suspect a lot of younger fans do have a comprehension of those days

• Options
    I wonder how many of our younger or more recent fans actually know about what actually occurred to cause us to leave The Valley and what happened in those wilderness/nomadic years.
    Any celebration about being Back at The Valley has to acknowledge those years and the people that contributed to our return and not just focus on the fact that we have been back 30 years.
    Someone should write a book  ;)
    Likely that the vast majority of readers already know the story.
  • Options

Given how many of our supporters are Charlton ‘by blood’, I suspect a lot of younger fans do have a comprehension of those days

I would hope so. My 18 year old certainly does.
    Lots won't though and no harm in ensuring that as many fans as possible are made aware, especially in the context of us not currently owning our ground.
  • Options
    Rob7Lee said:
    clive said:

Charlton Athletic will be celebrating the 30-year anniversary of their historic return to The Valley with a number of events planned throughout the upcoming 2022/23 season. 

This season also marks 30 years of the community programme, now fondly known as Charlton Athletic Community Trust. 

The home game against Cheltenham Town on Saturday, December 3rd (3pm) falls closest to the anniversary and will see the Valley faithful come together to celebrate, with full details to be confirmed closer to the event. 

 Meanwhile, the Women’s team game on the same weekend will also see celebrations surrounding the return to SE7 while a legends game is also set to take place at The Valley. 

A committee has been set up to oversee and deliver events throughout the season. Chaired by Steve Sutherland, Community Trust Ambassador and a former Charlton Athletic Commercial Director, it includes Fan Adviser Lucy Bishop, club legend Keith Peacock, club staff and Community Trust staff. Details about upcoming 30-year anniversary events will be announced in due course.

https://www.charltonafc.com/news/30-years-back-valley-celebrations-planned

So nobody who was involved in the campaign to return, once again. 

Might not the initial / core  committee reach out to those in due course ?  Surely at this stage nothing is determined / fixed and unwilling to engage wider. 
    For the 25th they did eventually begin to include others (such as CAST). I went along to one meeting which to be honest was broadly a waste of time, it was lip service. I mentioned the Valley Party to which there were many blank faces, was asked who was in it to which I pointed them to the board hanging with everyone's name on it!

Maybe this time will be different, I'm not even sure the guy running it last time was a Charlton fan at all let alone back in 1992 and prior. Last time it just seemed to be about raising money for CACT. 
    Well I imagine Steve Sutherland can be trusted to engage with the right people ?
    Why the LOL @airmanbrown is SS not an appropriate choice to be involved?

I don't get the initial distrust that this initiative wont engage with wider stakeholders - surely its initial meetings will do just that i..e get some ideas on the table and consider who else to trey & work with etc. I don't see how at this very early stage it can be 'tone deaf'. 

Am i missing something?
    Do you know Steve? If not, yes. I’m not going to say anything bad about him, of course he should be involved. That’s not the basis of my reaction or the comment you actually made.
    Sorry not following. I suggested SS can be trusted to engage wider and you reacted with a LOL.

I am (still) confused as to why.

(I don't know him personally but know 'of him' & have no axe to grind at all - seems a good choice to me)
  • Options
    edited July 2022
    Rob7Lee said:
    Rob7Lee said:
    clive said:

Charlton Athletic will be celebrating the 30-year anniversary of their historic return to The Valley with a number of events planned throughout the upcoming 2022/23 season. 

This season also marks 30 years of the community programme, now fondly known as Charlton Athletic Community Trust. 

The home game against Cheltenham Town on Saturday, December 3rd (3pm) falls closest to the anniversary and will see the Valley faithful come together to celebrate, with full details to be confirmed closer to the event. 

 Meanwhile, the Women’s team game on the same weekend will also see celebrations surrounding the return to SE7 while a legends game is also set to take place at The Valley. 

A committee has been set up to oversee and deliver events throughout the season. Chaired by Steve Sutherland, Community Trust Ambassador and a former Charlton Athletic Commercial Director, it includes Fan Adviser Lucy Bishop, club legend Keith Peacock, club staff and Community Trust staff. Details about upcoming 30-year anniversary events will be announced in due course.

Might not the initial / core  committee reach out to those in due course ?  Surely at this stage nothing is determined / fixed and unwilling to engage wider. 
    For the 25th they did eventually begin to include others (such as CAST). I went along to one meeting which to be honest was broadly a waste of time, it was lip service. I mentioned the Valley Party to which there were many blank faces, was asked who was in it to which I pointed them to the board hanging with everyone's name on it!

Maybe this time will be different, I'm not even sure the guy running it last time was a Charlton fan at all let alone back in 1992 and prior. Last time it just seemed to be about raising money for CACT. 
    Well I imagine Steve Sutherland can be trusted to engage with the right people ?
    Why the LOL @Airman Brown   is SS not an appropriate choice to be involved?

I don't get the initial distrust that this initiative wont engage with wider stakeholders - surely its initial meetings will do just that i..e get some ideas on the table and consider who else do they & work with etc. I don't see how at this very early stage it can be 'tone deaf'. 

Am I missing something?
    I think what you are missing (in the main) is;

The club wish to celebrate 30 years since our return - that's great, fitting etc etc.

But they've already set up a committee, which again, like the 25 year Anniversary, doesn't include ANYONE (not just Airman who I'm sure would say himself he isn't the ONLY one or necessarily the key person although probably holds more knowledge on the subject than most) who in reality was involved to any degree in the return.

To be fair last time outside of Chris Parkes they had zero idea about anything that happened in or pre 1992.

Don't you think it would have been a good idea to have included certain elements of the fan base in the initial discussions/set up and preparation/committee prior to the release on the website? Was it discussed at the recent fans forum?

I hope to be proved wrong, but last time in reality it was all about raising money for CACT rather than a celebration of all what was achieved by so many people (my sole contribution was £150 in the VIP scheme so I've no axe to grind as it won't include me, nor should it).

There's one Fan involved, no offence to Lucy but I suspect she was still in primary school for the return in 1992 and probably still in nappies when the Valley Party was being formed/ideas being circulated and likely not even born when we left in the mid 80's. Lets not forget she's 'employed' by the club (all be it in an unpaid role) to advise them on fans, not really represent fans (we have other groups such as the elected members of the CAST Board to do that, have they been consulted?).

So having had a very minor involvement 5 years ago, this to me is heading in the same direction and the same mistakes (which the club/representatives acknowledged were made at the time) are being made.

Surely its a case of doesn't YET include? 

Nothing is set in stone yet I assume. How many times (if any) have the 'committee' even met /spoken?

I just feel we are too quick to criticise sometimes & need to see how it evolves. For me a 30 year anniversary is not the most significant milestone but of course very noteworthy and good to remind people.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited July 2022
    Rob7Lee said:
    clive said:

Why the LOL @airmanbrown is SS not an appropriate choice to be involved?

I don't get the initial distrust that this initiative wont engage with wider stakeholders - surely its initial meetings will do just that i..e get some ideas on the table and consider who else to trey & work with etc. I don't see how at this very early stage it can be 'tone deaf'. 

Am i missing something?
    Do you know Steve? If not, yes. I’m not going to say anything bad about him, of course he should be involved. That’s not the basis of my reaction or the comment you actually made.
    Sorry not following. I suggested SS can be trusted to engage wider and you reacted with a LOL.

I am (still) confused as to why.

(I don't know him personally but know 'of him' & have no axe to grind at all - seems a good choice to me)
    The most neutral way I can put this is that Steve’s idea of “the right people” would be diametrically opposite to mine. 

In any event it seem this committee is geared to making money, for the club and trust, rather than adding anything of meaning to supporters. That’s a legitimate aim, it’s just not how it’s flagged, perhaps understandably.
  • Options
    I suppose if I looked for the second side of the story ( a la Southall’s mate at Brum) it is celebrating 30 years back at the Valley rather than the campaign to get us back there. But obviously the campaign is a key part of it and especially important for young fans to know about. Otherwise I wearily agree with @Airman Brown and @Rob7Lee although in the latter case I’m just curious about Michael Grade on the 25 committee. Of course he knew all about the Valley Party. He wrote two articles about it in the Guardian and was generally supportive. Did he really not say anything? 
  • Options
    why haven't tyhese people been tracked down and asked to form the committee - The Valley Helpers - outraged from Sidcup  
  • Options
    I suppose if I looked for the second side of the story ( a la Southall’s mate at Brum) it is celebrating 30 years back at the Valley rather than the campaign to get us back there. But obviously the campaign is a key part of it and especially important for young fans to know about. Otherwise I wearily agree with @Airman Brown and @Rob7Lee although in the latter case I’m just curious about Michael Grade on the 25 committee. Of course he knew all about the Valley Party. He wrote two articles about it in the Guardian and was generally supportive. Did he really not say anything? 
    He wasn't there, but clearly hadn't informed his fellow committee members. My guess is he was just a name and actually was little if any involved.
  • Options
    Rob7Lee said:
    Rob7Lee said:
    clive said:

Why the LOL @Airman Brown   is SS not an appropriate choice to be involved?

I don't get the initial distrust that this initiative wont engage with wider stakeholders - surely its initial meetings will do just that i..e get some ideas on the table and consider who else do they & work with etc. I don't see how at this very early stage it can be 'tone deaf'. 

Am I missing something?
    I think what you are missing (in the main) is;

The club wish to celebrate 30 years since our return - that's great, fitting etc etc.

But they've already set up a committee, which again, like the 25 year Anniversary, doesn't include ANYONE (not just Airman who I'm sure would say himself he isn't the ONLY one or necessarily the key person although probably holds more knowledge on the subject than most) who in reality was involved to any degree in the return.

To be fair last time outside of Chris Parkes they had zero idea about anything that happened in or pre 1992.

Don't you think it would have been a good idea to have included certain elements of the fan base in the initial discussions/set up and preparation/committee prior to the release on the website? Was it discussed at the recent fans forum?

I hope to be proved wrong, but last time in reality it was all about raising money for CACT rather than a celebration of all what was achieved by so many people (my sole contribution was £150 in the VIP scheme so I've no axe to grind as it won't include me, nor should it).

There's one Fan involved, no offence to Lucy but I suspect she was still in primary school for the return in 1992 and probably still in nappies when the Valley Party was being formed/ideas being circulated and likely not even born when we left in the mid 80's. Lets not forget she's 'employed' by the club (all be it in an unpaid role) to advise them on fans, not really represent fans (we have other groups such as the elected members of the CAST Board to do that, have they been consulted?).

So having had a very minor involvement 5 years ago, this to me is heading in the same direction and the same mistakes (which the club/representatives acknowledged were made at the time) are being made.

Surely its a case of doesn't YET include? 

Nothing is set in stone yet I assume. How many times (if any) have the 'committee' even met /spoken?

I just feel we are too quick to criticise sometimes & need to see how it evolves. For me a 30 year anniversary is not the most significant milestone but of course very noteworthy and good to remind people.
    Correct, doesn't yet include - but why? The Fan Advisor has said they will be 'reaching out' to others.

No idea whether the committee have met once or 50 times or possibly never.

I agree 30 years is not a significant milestone as such, but that's not really the point.

My point is, like 5 years ago, the committee members have been chosen, in my view, with the sole purpose of raising money for CACT. It's nothing to do with actually celebrating the 30 years or how we got there.
  • Options
    Can there be one thread on this site that doesn’t turn negative? 
  • Options
    Rossman92 said:
    Savings & Investments?........ unless by negative you mean the markets  :D
  • Options
    seth plum said:
    Will it be another overpriced meal with famous people invited to sit near you eating dubious food for free with a few inane speeches, maybe a question and answer session?
    I trudged up and down the bleak tower blocks in the Deptford part of Greenwich delivering Valley party leaflets, canvassed around the old Eltham baths area, demonstrated outside the Town hall keeping fans informed by alternating with Andy Lopata using a bullhorn, went down to help paint the new fences at the Valley and so much more, much more.
    And I can confidently say my contribution was a minor footnote compared with the contributions of so many others. Quite a few of whom are no longer with us God bless their hearts.
    A dreary fund raising dinner eating grey slop may have it’s place for some, but for me the event ought to be more about informing the younger generation about quite how powerful and vibrant the battle for the Valley was, rather than simply marking a moment in time. Not to aggrandise activists, but to let others know about the blood sweat and tears expended.
    And how without the return we would have no club.
    “its place”

Just saying. 
  • Options
    seth plum said:
    Will it be another overpriced meal with famous people invited to sit near you eating dubious food for free with a few inane speeches, maybe a question and answer session?
    I trudged up and down the bleak tower blocks in the Deptford part of Greenwich delivering Valley party leaflets, canvassed around the old Eltham baths area, demonstrated outside the Town hall keeping fans informed by alternating with Andy Lopata using a bullhorn, went down to help paint the new fences at the Valley and so much more, much more.
    And I can confidently say my contribution was a minor footnote compared with the contributions of so many others. Quite a few of whom are no longer with us God bless their hearts.
    A dreary fund raising dinner eating grey slop may have it’s place for some, but for me the event ought to be more about informing the younger generation about quite how powerful and vibrant the battle for the Valley was, rather than simply marking a moment in time. Not to aggrandise activists, but to let others know about the blood sweat and tears expended.
    And how without the return we would have no club.
    I remember canvassing with you at Eltham! Blimey time has flown.
  • Options
    Rossman92 said:
    In a word.....no
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    As others have said - to do this again after the 25 year thing seems a bit ott / unnecessary - who came up with the idea ? 
  • Options
    A bit of a tenuous period of time to celebrate really. 

I agree with commemorating the anniversary every year, but big celebrations should be left to major anniversaries like 10 and 25
    Yeah we are bit spoilt for big celebrations to be fair 
    If you celebrate something too often, it becomes devalued 
    Hardly celebrated too much. We did 20,  25, and 30. From now on it will be every ten years which means you will celebrate it if you are lucky enough about 9 times in your whole life every 9 years in average. Considering its probably our greatest achievement and a fan achievement at that its not much.

In these dark times as a fan of this club we could do with remembering these things with an appropriate celebration. Its never been ott celebrations either.

And of course you do have the option not to join in until the 50 year anniversary as its not compulsory. 
  • Options
    Trouble is some of us are getting old!
  • Options
    edited July 2022
    Comment deleted.Note to self. 3 bottles of Peroni gran riserva is enough.
  • Options
    If England finish second in the group they will be playing at the same time.
  • Options
    clive said:
    The home match against Cheltenham on Saturday, December 3rd (3pm KO BST) falls closest to the 30-year anniversary and will therefore serve as the club’s 'Back at The Valley' fixture.

Special matchday pricing will also be in place for the Cheltenham match with all adult, over 65 and U21 tickets priced at £19.92 each - a nod to the club's 1992 return - anywhere inside The Valley. Click here to purchase your ticket.

Meanwhile, student and U18 tickets will be priced at just £7 each. The club's first goal back at The Valley was, of course, netted by Colin Walsh in the seventh minute on that historic first game back in SE7 against Portsmouth.
    The award-winning Charlton Athletic Community Trust (CACT), which celebrates 30 years of community delivery, will be donated a percentage of proceeds from this game.
    https://www.charltonafc.com/news/join-anniversary-celebrations-our-back-valley-fixture

I actually like that.
    I’m flying over for this game.
    😊
  • Options
    edited October 2022
    Alcafc1 said:
    If England finish second in the group they will be playing at the same time.
    Surely every game in the country would be moved to accommodate that - even if it means a late/early kick off. 
  • Options
    clive said:
    The home match against Cheltenham on Saturday, December 3rd (3pm KO BST) falls closest to the 30-year anniversary and will therefore serve as the club’s 'Back at The Valley' fixture.

Special matchday pricing will also be in place for the Cheltenham match with all adult, over 65 and U21 tickets priced at £19.92 each - a nod to the club's 1992 return - anywhere inside The Valley. Click here to purchase your ticket.

Meanwhile, student and U18 tickets will be priced at just £7 each. The club's first goal back at The Valley was, of course, netted by Colin Walsh in the seventh minute on that historic first game back in SE7 against Portsmouth.
    The award-winning Charlton Athletic Community Trust (CACT), which celebrates 30 years of community delivery, will be donated a percentage of proceeds from this game.
    https://www.charltonafc.com/news/join-anniversary-celebrations-our-back-valley-fixture

An insane £1.08 saving for the oldies and youngsters sitting in the Covered End lower. Not one for calling out everything but that is silly.