Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Charlton Athletic vs Queens Park Rangers | Tuesday 9th August 2022 @ 7:45pm | Match Preview

edited August 2022 in General Charlton
To Beale or not to Beale that is the question that our Prince of Demark has had to ask twice in the last year. With QPR literally taking the Michael, Thomas had to find another way to garner favour with the Addicks faithful. It ended up being the highly rated but as yet unproven Ben that ended up in the home dugout for Tuesday nights first cup action of the season.

In years gone by a midweek cup fixture, in the school holidays, against higher league opposition might have attracted a bumper crowd to SE7. Not this time it won’t. For approximately 85 of the 92 the league cup is now an unwanted distraction from the bread and butter of promotion chasing or staving off relegation. Both mangers will surely be focused on the former and think the latter is almost inevitable.

As the powers at be at Charlton Life Towers dithered and dallied through the summer transfer window and weren’t event able to secure a deal for Swindon Life’s match previewer, your stuck with me, the Papa Souare of panic signings. That will teach them!

It's far to early to comment on either of the managers starts to the season but both recorded their first competitive victories in their new jobs on Saturday. It is likely that both teams will employ some variation of 433/4231/4141 etc. 

Former loan Addick, and now permeant Ranger, Sam Field (V880) and marksman Bonne (V879), who made their Charlton debuts in the same game, could return to the big time, under the bright lights of SE7. The latter has been a late sub in both of QPRs league games and might well be “needing minutes”.  

As for the home side, I am loathed to even guess what sort of team we will field. Will it be similar to Saturday as we are so early into the GarnerBall revolution, an U23 team, the fringe players or a mix of all three?

The team selection might tell us a lot about the immediate futures of MacGilvery, Gilbey and JFC. It might not.

This is the team I would pick, not the one I think will be picked, because seriously I don’t have a clue!

Woolacott 
Clare
Lavelle
O’Connell
Sessegnon
JFC
Payne
Gilbey
Leaburn
DJ
Stockley

As the back story of two extremely new managers is very hard to analyse, I thought it would be fun to look back at some past memories of games against QPR.

A season that started with home wins and away draws

A memorable home debut for a goal keeper

https://youtu.be/XVuhXxjQpA0

And just for a certain someone, limbs in the away end.

Prediction? Absolutely no idea, but I will follow with interest. Especially the team composition.

COYR

Comments

• Will be very interesting to see Leaburn start (which I agree, he probably will). He’s looked very exciting in his cameo appearances so far. 

Has JFC been injured or just not included in the squad?
  • se9addick said:
    Will be very interesting to see Leaburn start (which I agree, he probably will). He’s looked very exciting in his cameo appearances so far. 

I saw him in the stands with Gilby and Eggy, he didn’t look too happy.
  • se9addick said:
    Will be very interesting to see Leaburn start (which I agree, he probably will). He’s looked very exciting in his cameo appearances so far. 

Did he want to leave in the summer but we triggered a contract extension?
  • edited August 2022
    If you're the Papa Souare of Match Previews I wonder what that makes me... the Johnnie Jackson perhaps, the ageing yet amazingly handsome, and well dressed talent who refuses to retire :D
  • se9addick said:
    se9addick said:

Did he want to leave in the summer but we triggered a contract extension?
    You might think that but I couldn't possibly comment. ......
  • If you're the Papa Souare of Match Previews I wonder what that makes me... the Johnnie Jackson perhaps, the ageing yet amazingly handsome, and well dressed talent who refuses to retire :D
    I’d say, more Yohann Thuram. Basically just forced upon people. 😉
    A worse version of Thuram then, as at least he took the hint and pissed off :D
  • edited August 2022
    Don’t think the team will be anywhere near as strong as that….& nor should it be. The Sheff Weds game on Sat is far more important.

I expect Ness and Clayden etc to start this one.
  • Don’t think the team will be anywhere near as strong as that….& nor should it be. The Sheff Weds game on Sat is far more important.

I expect Ness and Clayden etc to start this one.
    Your probably right but he may see it as an extra preseason game.
  • Sponsored links:

• se9addick said:

When did we bring back Eggert Johnson?
  • I think the team will be a lot weaker, good chance to put a few players in the shop window and see what Leaburn is like through the middle against decent opposition 

MacGillivray 
    Barker Lavelle Ness Clayden  
    Gilbey Henry JFC 
    Payne Leaburn DJ

• Great preview, well done sir.

As with all the cup games I can’t see past Charlton reserves v QPR reserves in front of 3k fans.

1-2
  • Is the match available on ifollow? 
  • NabySarr said:
    I think the team will be a lot weaker, good chance to put a few players in the shop window and see what Leaburn is like through the middle against decent opposition 

MacGillivray 
    Gilbey Henry JFC 
    Payne Leaburn DJ

This looks about right .  Maybe McGrandles will play, if not concussed .
  • Is the match available on ifollow? 
    The games weren't last year, as SKY have the rights to the competition. 
  • F*ck this cup, I’d rest most of em.

MacG
    Barker, Lavelle, Ness, Clayden
    Gilbey, Henry, Payne 
    Leaburn, Gavin, Jaiyesimi

Prediction, don’t really care but it’s us and it’s the EFL cup so 0-1.
  • Can we get rid of one of the Charlton's from the thread title... Its making me feel really uncomfortable with my OCD
  • NabySarr said:
    I think the team will be a lot weaker, good chance to put a few players in the shop window and see what Leaburn is like through the middle against decent opposition 

MacGillivray 
    Gilbey Henry JFC 
    Payne Leaburn DJ

I’m expecting something like this but wouldn’t be surprised if JFC or Gilbey are left out due to potential moves away.
  • Sponsored links:

• Just tried to look on the ticketing site for this and getting this message "Sorry, the server is currently too busy, please try again later."

Either we're going to have a bumper attendance or there's a glitch...
  • rananegra said:
    Just tried to look on the ticketing site for this and getting this message "Sorry, the server is currently too busy, please try again later."

Either we're going to have a bumper attendance or there's a glitch...
    It's all the kids buying tickets for the YouTube game. Certainly nothing to do with this one!

• Really don’t understand the blanket ban on steaming in this cup. If there’s one way to destroy all interest in your competition it’s stopping people watching it..
    They have probably borrowed the ECB's hand book.
  • At least get someone to proof read it first!
  • I see QPR have sold 2,400 so far. Will they have more fans than us tmrw?
  • My guess. Mcg, Chin, Lavelle, Ness, Clayden, Gilbey, Payne, JFC, DJ, Kirk, Leaburn
  • Will they risk injuring JFC & Gilbey if they want them out the door?
  • edited August 2022
    Chunes said:
    Will they risk injuring JFC & Gilbey if they want them out the door?
    Put them in the shop window?  

The media reports of Gilbey potentially leaving have been zero and the Cawley story said that JFC wasn't transfer listed.

I think half of it had been a bit blown up because we aren't used to having the level of depth, especially before the window closes.

I can see one or other going but if both go we might bring a loan in.  If we lose two your an injury or suspension away from Henry on the bench and a dip in competition.

We might get an idea once this afternoons u21 team is announced.  

• Henry, Chin and Kanu with the seniors tomorrow?  Anyone else obviously missing?