Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Charlton Athletic vs Queens Park Rangers | Tuesday 9th August 2022 @ 7:45pm | Match Preview

1235»

Comments

• Options
    ESPN+ covering the match for any Addicks living in USA
  • Options
    Bods64 said:
    How do we access this? 
  • Options
    Scoham said:
    He wants an incompromising passing pressing game in an ideal World. In a way the formation is less important. What I am saying is the way we played on Saturday was not the passing and pressing game we were promised. That is what I meant about conventional. Well Derby's was closer to it I suppose. I actually think it is a good thing as we haven't got the players to play it IMO.
    I doubt Garner or TS expected us to instantly switch to playing that way but I expect we’ll continue working towards it. I don’t think it’s all about technical ability, it’s also the players learning where to be in certain situations, how to press effectively, decision making etc. We were outplayed too often last season by teams with smaller budgets, they were able to pass and press much better than we could. No reason why counter attacks and the odd direct ball can’t be part of a short passing and high pressing style, I don’t think TS necessarily wants us to play like 2010 Barcelona.
    Ok, the reason we can't play a short passing style is too many of our players can't pass reliably. Even O'Connell who was brought in can't do it. Maybe over time we can evolve in that way but I certainly read it as being this season which fightened me. Also, our best player is a holding midfielder who thank god got on the pitch on Saturday. 

The passing from the pack played into Derby's hands and wasn't giving us anything so again thankfully we bypassed it. All good as far as I am concerned and credit to Garner. Pragmatism should trump a system every day of the week. Adkins should have ditched the system imposed on him last season when it was clear we didn't have the players for that.
    I read it as this season too, but we’ve played two games so far. I’m confident we’ll get better at passing out from the back and pressing effectively. We don’t even know our best XI yet and neither has the transfer window closed. I don’t think the style is beyond us but I’m not expecting it to be so rigid we can never go long. We’ll have some games where we don’t dominate possession, that will happen when both teams are trying to play that style. That shouldn’t stop us working towards it.
  • Options
  • Options
    Sage said:
    Bods64 said:
    How do we access this? 
    I used my VPN (surfshark) to put myself in America, but it wouldn’t process my PayPal transaction to try set up a subscription sadly. 
  • Options
    Scoham said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Scoham said:
    He wants an incompromising passing pressing game in an ideal World. In a way the formation is less important. What I am saying is the way we played on Saturday was not the passing and pressing game we were promised. That is what I meant about conventional. Well Derby's was closer to it I suppose. I actually think it is a good thing as we haven't got the players to play it IMO.
    I doubt Garner or TS expected us to instantly switch to playing that way but I expect we’ll continue working towards it. I don’t think it’s all about technical ability, it’s also the players learning where to be in certain situations, how to press effectively, decision making etc. We were outplayed too often last season by teams with smaller budgets, they were able to pass and press much better than we could. No reason why counter attacks and the odd direct ball can’t be part of a short passing and high pressing style, I don’t think TS necessarily wants us to play like 2010 Barcelona.
    Strongly disagree with the first bit.  "GarnerBall" is pretty much identical to what our underage teams have been playing for over a decade.  And 90% of other academy teams.

It's not some revolutionary concept he concocted in a flat above a chippy in Norwood and has now decided the time is right to unleash it on the world.

The guy is an excellent coach.  He gets his message across.  He improves players.

He isn't the Karl Marx of 21st century football.  Its implementation, not invention.
    That’s what I’m saying, it’s not an instant change where we’ll be playing it exactly how Garner wants us to straight away. It’ll evolve over time, and as you say it’s not completely alien to our players with it being the way academies have generally played in this country for the last decade or so.
    I don't even think it's aspirational to play like that.  

We won't ever play like a lot of people think.  Of course there will be games when we look like Gus Poyets Brighton.  Powell's team produced games like that.  Chesterfield away was one that sticks in my mind.

It will be more direct than RobinsonBall, more risks than BowyerBall and most similar to early AdkinsBall.  

It's not going to be 100s of passes between O'Connell, Dobson and Morgan trying to make Stockley look like 2012 Messi.

It's not happening, let's not pretend it is.