Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Charlton Athletic vs Queens Park Rangers | Tuesday 9th August 2022 @ 7:45pm | Match Preview

Comments

• Options
    Hoping a lot of people are leaving it late as the amount of tickets sold in North Lower so far is dire 
    I,ve been umming and rring about going all day but just don't enjoy these half empty reserve games and i don't like watching from the lower tiers - call me fairweather but im out. 
  • Options
    Payne likely to be involved tonight based on the above.
  • Options
    And Clayden 29
  • Options
    I'm in. Nice evening for £15
  • Options
    barstool said:
    And Clayden 29
    Where do you see that?

I make you right, expecting Clayden to play but trying to find the clue...
  • Options
    The clue is he told us. 
  • Options
    DOUCHER said:
    Hoping a lot of people are leaving it late as the amount of tickets sold in North Lower so far is dire 
    I,ve been umming and rring about going all day but just don't enjoy these half empty reserve games and i don't like watching from the lower tiers - call me fairweather but im out. 
    But you was slating Charlton supporters for not attending & backing the club financially when able to go? 
    Bingo - just waiting for that - always one - I’m not the perfect supporter,  never said I was - I said I believe having a season ticket is the minimum requirement to be able to call yourself a supporter unless you have a good reason not to 
  • Options
    And - if the club anc the rest of the football world start treating cup games as first team fixtures like they used to, I will start going again - getting a strong de ja vu from last season here 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Not sure if Saturday was what people have been describing as Garnerball. It looked a pretty conventional 4-3-3 to me. I am happy about that. Play what suits the players not what the owner would like to in an ideal world.
    What formation are you saying TS wants in an ideal world?
  • Options
    edited August 2022
    He wants an incompromising passing pressing game in an ideal World. In a way the formation is less important. What I am saying is the way we played on Saturday was not the passing and pressing game we were promised. That is what I meant about conventional. Well Derby's was closer to it I suppose. I actually think it is a good thing as we haven't got the players to play it IMO.
  • Options
    barstool said:
    And Clayden 29
    Where do you see that?

look closer at the picture round ;)
  • Options
    edited August 2022
    He wants an incompromising passing pressing game in an ideal World. In a way the formation is less important. 
    Where did he say that? Did I miss a quote? I don't think any team can press 'uncompromisngly' because you run out of stamina.

I don't personally think we quite pulled off Garner's plan on Saturday. Nothing he's doing has surprised me so far but obviously you had different expectations.
  • Options
    barstool said:
    barstool said:
    And Clayden 29
    Where do you see that?

look closer at the picture round ;)
    Hello Floyd or is it Harvey? 
  • Options
    edited August 2022
    Chunes said:
    He wants an incompromising passing pressing game in an ideal World. In a way the formation is less important. 
    Where did he say that? Did I miss a quote? I don't think any team can press 'uncompromisngly' because you run out of stamina.

I don't personally think we quite pulled off Garner's plan on Saturday. Nothing he's doing has surprised me so far but obviously you had different expectations.
    Good help us. Sandgaard has told us what he wanted. You can take the statements to the extreme but it is quite frankly tedius. On Saturday we passed less than Derby and basically played a counter attacking game in the second half, mixing it up and often going long. That is not what we were told we would be playing.

Tell you what, just say what you want. I can't be arsed.
  • Options
    Might be the only London derby of the season, so that's good enough reason for me to go. 
  • Options
    Looks like kanus involved from his insta
  • Options
    Chin also.
  • Options
    Chin also.
    What’s his chin been saying then? 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Strong team!
  • Options
    He wants an incompromising passing pressing game in an ideal World. In a way the formation is less important. What I am saying is the way we played on Saturday was not the passing and pressing game we were promised. That is what I meant about conventional. Well Derby's was closer to it I suppose. I actually think it is a good thing as we haven't got the players to play it IMO.
    I doubt Garner or TS expected us to instantly switch to playing that way but I expect we’ll continue working towards it. I don’t think it’s all about technical ability, it’s also the players learning where to be in certain situations, how to press effectively, decision making etc. We were outplayed too often last season by teams with smaller budgets, they were able to pass and press much better than we could. No reason why counter attacks and the odd direct ball can’t be part of a short passing and high pressing style, I don’t think TS necessarily wants us to play like 2010 Barcelona.
  • Options
    Strong team!
    That first XI is certainly not there to just make up the numbers. 

Big test for Miles today. 
  • Options
    edited August 2022
    Scoham said:
    I doubt Garner or TS expected us to instantly switch to playing that way but I expect we’ll continue working towards it. I don’t think it’s all about technical ability, it’s also the players learning where to be in certain situations, how to press effectively, decision making etc. We were outplayed too often last season by teams with smaller budgets, they were able to pass and press much better than we could. No reason why counter attacks and the odd direct ball can’t be part of a short passing and high pressing style, I don’t think TS necessarily wants us to play like 2010 Barcelona.
    Ok, the reason we can't play a short passing style is too many of our players can't pass reliably. Even O'Connell who was brought in can't do it. Maybe over time we can evolve in that way but I certainly read it as being this season which fightened me. Also, our best player is a holding midfielder who thank god got on the pitch on Saturday. 

The passing from the pack played into Derby's hands and wasn't giving us anything so again thankfully we bypassed it. All good as far as I am concerned and credit to Garner. Pragmatism should trump a system every day of the week. Adkins should have ditched the system imposed on him last season when it was clear we didn't have the players for that.
  • Options
    Scoham said:
    Strongly disagree with the first bit.  "GarnerBall" is pretty much identical to what our underage teams have been playing for over a decade.  And 90% of other academy teams.

It's not some revolutionary concept he concocted in a flat above a chippy in Norwood and has now decided the time is right to unleash it on the world.

The guy is an excellent coach.  He gets his message across.  He improves players.

He isn't the Karl Marx of 21st century football.  Its implementation, not invention.
  • Options
    1-0 to the Addicks, rare Carabou success beckons!!
  • Options
    edited August 2022
    Chunes said:

Good help us. Sandgaard has told us what he wanted. You can take the statements to the extreme but it is quite frankly tedius. On Saturday we passed less than Derby and basically played a counter attacking game in the second half, mixing it up and often going long. That is not what we were told we would be playing.

You've totally lost me here... Where has that just come from. 
  • Options
    Chunes said:
    Chunes said:

You've totally lost me here... Where has that just come from. 
    And me.

With the best will in the world, to even our most technical players, did anyone seriously expect us to try and play like Spain in 2010?

Fraser as a false 9?

This GarnerBall has been massively over egged in both people's expectations and the inability of our players to play "it'.
  • Options
    Dazzler21 said:
    I'm unreasonably excited by this. 

Hoping to see the following: 

Wollacott 
    Clare - Lavelle - O'Connell - Sessegnon
    Morgan - Dobson - Payne
    Jaiyesimi - Leaburn - Clayden

Hopefully that continues to help the midfield and defence relationship and Lavelle gets some minutes in place of risking Inniss. We also get minutes into DJ, Leaburn & Clayden.

I expect stronger players to be available off the bench too. 
    Be shocked if any of our starting 11 start this game.
    Cough cough 😜
  • Options
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Scoham said:
    Strongly disagree with the first bit.  "GarnerBall" is pretty much identical to what our underage teams have been playing for over a decade.  And 90% of other academy teams.

It's not some revolutionary concept he concocted in a flat above a chippy in Norwood and has now decided the time is right to unleash it on the world.

The guy is an excellent coach.  He gets his message across.  He improves players.

He isn't the Karl Marx of 21st century football.  Its implementation, not invention.
    That’s what I’m saying, it’s not an instant change where we’ll be playing it exactly how Garner wants us to straight away. It’ll evolve over time, and as you say it’s not completely alien to our players with it being the way academies have generally played in this country for the last decade or so.