Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Sandgaard, sign a striker.

Comments

• Options
    LenGlover said:
    Aneke's fitness (or to be more accurate lack of fitness) record is such that he should be ignored and if by some unlikely miracle he is ever available to play just take it as a bonus.

We need 2 strikers really.
    You want five strikers for one position?
  • Options
    Sage said:
    aliwibble said:
    The cynic in me says to put money on Stockley getting a straight red on Saturday 🙄
    Why? 
    Because if we don’t sign a striker it will be typical Charlton that Stockley gets himself either suspended or injured, leaving us with just an 18 year old Miles Leaburn who is not ready yet, albeit done very well given circumstances. It will sum us up that we usually don’t help ourselves and get hurt badly in turn from it.

I desperately hope this time it is different and a new striker is in the building next week.
    Yeah very true in that regard - Be even bigger sods law as well, given that Stockley's record of picking up red cards isn't too bad, which is why I was initially surprised by Ali's comment
    @Sage has explained perfectly my thinking on this. I'm not saying it's especially likely, but it is absolutely the kind of sods law thing that could put the kibosh on the early promise of this season. And it's not like Stockley getting a straight red is entirely unknown either - remember the wrestling match with Deji Mk1 at Burton last season that got him a 3 match ban? It's absolutely a risk we should be factoring in over the next few days, although I appreciate actually getting the right kind of striker to sign may be easier said than done.
  • Options
    se9addick said:
    Today showed just why we need a decent striker. Some good build up play mostly came to nought because the midfield/ wide players just aren't good enough as finishing off chances (apart from JRS). Time & time again the ball was played around their box but no-one had the nouse, skill or desire to score. Mendonca would have had a field day in this team. 
    I don’t think it’s a question of a decent striker per se - I think Stockley is a very decent striker at this level. I would guess his scoring ratio when paired with Washington, who was perfect for him, was very much decent.

What we need is a striker that fits this system, that isn’t Stockley. Stockley might give us a decent plan B though is we can get someone in who fits the plan A.
    So perfect together they had a grand total of 1 assist to each other last season. 
    How many goals from open play did Stockley get when playing with Washington? How many has he got without him this season? 
  • Options
    If Stockley isn't going to fit this system, then he should be sold and new strikers bought that do. Garner must be a bit pissed off. I know he's come from League Two, but even he must be a bit concerned about the team budget. Curbs said there's not enough goals in this side. Whether he's up to date with modern tactics, who knows, but he can see what our fans have said since pre-season. TS can also see it, but will he fund the changes needed for this business of his to become successful? 
    Goals in the side has nothing to do with tactics. It is a general principle that works as well now as in the past. You look at how many goals you are likely to need (a club is unlikely to get promoted if they score 50 goals say) and you look at where they are likely to come from. Not an exact science but it gives you an idea and is more accurate in terms of showing you where you are short.
  • Options
    edited August 2022
    I’d take a Stockley straight red as it would hopefully force Thomas’ arm to get someone else in. 
    The criticisms of Stockley yesterday were crazy mind, we love a scapegoat, he was getting pelters for appealing some of the stupid decisions the ref made, what’s a captain supposed to do?
  • Options
    edited August 2022
    I'd look as a plan B at playing two strikers. We can easily do that with a slightly imbalanced system with a left back giving us the attacking width. The Palace lad showed he can be flexible and if we had a mobile forward in there, I think Stockley would get more joy.

Of course we don't have another striker who really fits that plan B. In all honesty it would be my plan A with the current system plan B.
  • Options
    We are not signing another centre forward.
    Get over it.
    Then we ain't going up 
    Get over it 
    Great balls of crystal!

If we don't sign one by Thursday, I'll be adding the necessary seasoning to my chapeau and preparing to tuck in 😎
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    We all know that it ain't happening.
    The business for a decent striker starts early. You get the ground work done. Stump up the cash. And get it done.
    This pussy footing around and pretending we might get someone through the door on the last day is fairytale stuff.
    Yet another season of meh awaits.
    I can see us bringing one in, but if we do I expect it’ll be a gamble on a young loanee, an older Championship player wanting game time or a free agent.
  • Options
    Why don't we start Payne more? If Stockley isn't going to be the one galumphing up the park on the counter attack, Kirk and Rak-Sakyi are, then you need a pacy midfielder to keep up with them 2 instead, and Fraser, Dobson and Morgan aren't that. Payne isn't lightning quick but he's faster than the aforementioned at least 
  • Options
    edited August 2022
    Players that aren't playing always look a more attractive alternative and although not conclusive Payne has looked quite bright when he has come on. Apart from yesterday when he was shit but that happens. It also suggests he may not be the easy answer.
  • Options
    Players that aren't playing always look a more attarctive alternative and although not conclusive Payne has looked quite bright when he has come on. Apart from yesterday when he was shit but that happens. It also suggests he may not be the easy answer.
    He's certainly not the answer as a midfield player. His passing yesterday especially but also in previous games has been atrocious.
  • Options
    Scoham said:
    We all know that it ain't happening.
    The business for a decent striker starts early. You get the ground work done. Stump up the cash. And get it done.
    This pussy footing around and pretending we might get someone through the door on the last day is fairytale stuff.
    Yet another season of meh awaits.
    I can see us bringing one in, but if we do I expect it’ll be a gamble on a young loanee, an older Championship player wanting game time or a free agent.
    i agree - i think if a bid came in for stockley, we would sign a permanent replacement and possibly a loan striker - if no outgoing then only a loan striker - probably a prem / u23 type - its inconceivable to do nothing 
  • Options
    edited August 2022
    I think hell has more chance of freezing over than us selling Stockley and getting two in at this stage of the window. Maybe we could look at realistic scenarios?
  • Options
    Gilbey going and Tom Cannon coming in on loan?
  • Options
    Scoham said:
    Wish list, or is it something your aware might happen?
  • Options
    Scoham said:
    Guesswork or something you've heard? I'd take it either way 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited August 2022
    Scoham said:
    More chance of Bobby Ball
  • Options
    What are the chances of prising Kyogo away from Septic in the next coupe if days?
  • Options
    LenGlover said:
    Aneke's fitness (or to be more accurate lack of fitness) record is such that he should be ignored and if by some unlikely miracle he is ever available to play just take it as a bonus.

We have Stockley and Leaburn ignoring Aneke who is unlikely to play much if at all. Remember Cory Gibbs. There might be times we want to play 2 up front. Leaburn is versatile enough to play wide or central and one or two more of that ilk would be good in my opinion.
  • Options
    edited August 2022
    LenGlover said:

Can we say forwards which is generic for any position across the front line. Striker seems to have become a centre forward, a central striker or a number 9 especially on CL.
    It's patently obvious we need forwards who can cover all positions across the front 3 which Ben Garner's favours in a fluid 4-3-3.

Sorry to upset but a Lyle Taylor or a Karlan Grant type of Forward who can play wide or central but also score. I accept this may be a player who has lost his way or else we won't  get him.

Maybe the money that Thomas Sandgaard was going to spend on the Champions League winning Manager before Martin Sandgaard said look in League 2 can be put towards bringing in a forward who can play in a front 3; any size but a bit of pace and knows where the goal is. 
  • Options
    thenewbie said:
    Scoham said:
    Guesswork or something you've heard? I'd take it either way 
    Complete guess
  • Options
    Fumbluff said:
    I’d take a Stockley straight red as it would hopefully force Thomas’ arm to get someone else in. 
    The criticisms of Stockley yesterday were crazy mind, we love a scapegoat, he was getting pelters for appealing some of the stupid decisions the ref made, what’s a captain supposed to do?
    Except we wouldn't be able to get someone in until January, as the window closes at the end of this week. Could be way too late by then, and even if it's not, player prices are likely to be inflated in that window.
  • Options
    aliwibble said:
    Fumbluff said:
    Except we wouldn't be able to get someone in until January, as the window closes at the end of this week. Could be way too late by then, and even if it's not, player prices are likely to be inflated in that window.
    And the Faithful are likely to be more deflated by then.
  • Options
    aliwibble said:
    Fumbluff said:
    We can sign out of contract players outside the window.  Not suggesting we should, but we can.
  • Options
    Portsmouth play with 2 strikers and currently only have 3.