Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Sandgaard, sign a striker.

Comments

• Options
    Stockley is a great player and I'm glad we have him. Think he's a leader and adds stuff to the team mentality wise.

He'll get goals. Aneke is top drawer ability wise for this league but can't guarantee availability.

Need competition for Stockley and back up in case he needs a rest/;has injuries.

Need a depth of squad options (relative to League One) for a sustainable promotion push over 46 games.

I think Stockley is a great charlton player...just need to ensure backup/ competition if we are vying for promotion.
    I agree.
  • Options
    He is a more than decent League One striker. One of the better ones.
  • Options
    What is funny about that post?  

Your definition of great must be very different to mine.

Thank God for that.
    Some people are clearly more easily pleased than others.
    It's relative to the level we are competing at.

He's not a Taylor or kermorhant or BWP but they were sublime at this level.

Stockley is imo great in that he is a real goal threat and gives a lot to the team in terms of fight, team spirit, leadership, defensive assistance etc and puts his body on the line for shirt each game even playing when ill in 30 degree heat ( which shouldn't have happened).

In the absence of a Taylor, fit Aneke or any other I'm glad we have him whilst massively underline thar he alone is inadequate if serious about promotion and we need someone as good or better to come in and challenge ie based n last season Stockton.
  • Options
    Washington’s runs onto a ball played over the top into space could have given us the plan B we are clearly lacking. 

Genuine question.  Does Garner have/want a Plan B.  I thought he was in the mould of the MKDons manager who gave that interview specifically saying he had a way of playing and there was no plan B deliberately. 
  • Options

Thank God for that.

Stockley is imo great in that he is a real goal threat and gives a lot to the team in terms of fight, team spirit, leadership, defensive assistance etc and puts his body on the line for shirt each game even playing when ill in 30 degree heat ( which shouldn't have happened).

In the absence of a Taylor, fit Aneke or any other I'm glad we have him whilst massively underline thar he alone is inadequate if serious about promotion and we need someone as good or better to come in and challenge ie based n last season Stockton.
    If the choice is Stockley or nobody, then obviously I'd choose Stockley. That doesn't mean that he has to be talked up to be something that he isn't. You have agreed that he isn't a Yann, BWP or Taylor. Those are the sort of strikers that get you promoted out of this shit division.
    I would never question Jayden's effort, just his ability. I'd question his leadership skills. I've not seen anything to say that he is a good captain. I've certainly seen him moaning at other players, including young players. Nobody but the players know if he is good for team spirit.
    He has to be one of the better forwards in League One, just not a standout or one that is going to score/create the goals that will take a team to promotion.
    We seem to agree that if Stockley is our sole striking option then we won't be going up (assuming that Aneke who, if fit, is far better than Stockley, doesn't find an injury free body).
  • Options
    I feel like Garner's words in SLP should be taken as they are - I don't feel like he is the kind of manager to be putting agents/players/clubs off in the press, and then doing something in the background that counters that. I'm sure if we were in a world without leaks and the like, I feel like he would say he'd like another striker to cover for Stockley. Who wouldn't? The tricky situation means that we walk a tightrope with our dependence on Stockley, where the only cover is Aneke and Leaburn, both of whom are unlikely to be able to cover if Stockley gets injured for a couple of months. I think it's understandable that we, as fans, are troubled by this, particularly given our general record of injuries over the past couple of years and how toothless we have looked without Stockley in recent times.

If JFC and Gilbey move on as we all expect, then who knows. I remain of the opinion that losing Stockley represents the biggest risk to us not challenging the top 6, but I can also see the argument for a left-sided CB/FB. We don't have all the finance numbers, but I think that TS remains hesitant for now to spend any big fees and, as such, that will be largely prohibitive in signing an experienced striker.

Hoping that we sign one more soon, but it sounds less and less likely that it'll be a striker. If they are all fit, we have options, but the likelihood of that staying that way for the bulk of the season is incredibly unlikely.
  • Options
    edited August 2022

Thank God for that.

If the choice is Stockley or nobody, then obviously I'd choose Stockley. That doesn't mean that he has to be talked up to be something that he isn't. You have agreed that he isn't a Yann, BWP or Taylor. Those are the sort of strikers that get you promoted out of this shit division.
    I would never question Jayden's effort, just his ability. I'd question his leadership skills. I've not seen anything to say that he is a good captain. I've certainly seen him moaning at other players, including young players. Nobody but the players know if he is good for team spirit.
    He has to be one of the better forwards in League One, just not a standout or one that is going to score/create the goals that will take a team to promotion.
    We seem to agree that if Stockley is our sole striking option then we won't be going up (assuming that Aneke who, if fit, is far better than Stockley, doesn't find an injury free body).
    Yeah I agree with this.

Edit...and good point re moaning at team mates as I do recall it a couple of times last season which is fine if you're putting in Roy Keane perfect performances but probably needs calibrating if not.
  • Options

Thank God for that.

Yeah I agree with this.

Edit...and good point re moaning at team mates as I do recall it a couple of times last season which is fine if you're putting in Roy Keane perfect performances but probably needs calibrating if not.
    I can see the argument but he's been made captain by several different managers with different outlooks so he must have something about him leadership wise. 

We only really see him for the hundred odd minutes a week on the pitch but presumably he's a good example and a strong communicator/leader in training as well.
  • Options
    I think a lot of our season rests on Stockley's ability to stay fit in all honesty.
  • Options
    I think a lot of our season rests on Stockley's ability to stay fit in all honesty.
    Or just Stockley's ability.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited August 2022
    His goal scoring record for us has been decent, I think it is disrespectful and out of order how he is being blamed for all our ills. He has limitations and he has assets. I for one am glad we have him.
  • Options
    But we already have 4 strikers (and Kanu in reserve).  According to the nice new team pictures on the OS.
  • Options
    His goal scoring record for us has been decent, I think it is disrespectful and out of order how he is being blamed for all our ills. He has limitations and he has assets. I for one am gald we have him.
    His goal scoring record is nothing special, 21 league goals in 55 appearances, which equates to 17.5 goals in a 46 game season and he has no chance of playing anywhere near 46 games.
    I wouldn't blame him for all of our ills but I'd certainly blame him for some of them.
    It's got nothing to do with respect or lack of respect.

• Options
    edited August 2022
    His goal scoring record for us has been decent, I think it is disrespectful and out of order how he is being blamed for all our ills. He has limitations and he has assets. I for one am gald we have him.
    His goal scoring record is nothing special, 21 league goals in 55 appearances, which equates to 17.5 goals in a 46 game season and he has no chance of playing anywhere near 46 games.
    I wouldn't blame him for all of our ills but I'd certainly blame him for some of them.

I note he was playing with an injury for a lot of last season but maybe you can point out who we have who is better in terms of scoring goals and we shouldn't neglect his defensive game. The emphasis is on who we have as Garner has made it clear we are unlikely to get another striker in.

And maybe not you, but there have been a lot of disrespectful posts about him on here IMO.
  • Options

I note he was playing with an injury for a lot of last season but maybe you can point out who we have who is better in terms of scoring goals and we shouldn't neglect his defensive game. The emphasis is on who we have as Garner has made it clear we are unlikely to get another striker in.

And maybe not you, but there have been a lot of disrespectful posts about him on here IMO.
    I'm not saying we have anyone better available (A fit Chuks probably would be).
    With regard to his defensive game I totally agree.
    My point has always been that he isn't a good enough striker to push us to challenge for promotion and his lack of mobility doesn't bring out the best of the other attacking players.
    Having Jayden as our captain and main striker shows a lack of ambition from the owner (I can't believe that Steve Gallen and Ben Garner haven't pointed out the need for a goalscorer).
  • Options
    Rothko said:
    Washington scored against a Reading team, who really should be in League 1, let’s see how he goes against Burnley and Watford 
    Reading are beating top of the table Blackburn 3-0 and now sit 8th.

Not saying he's the answer to our problems but I am going to continue banging this drum because the comments on his ability when he left were really wide of the mark.
  • Options
    CafcWest said:
    But we already have 4 strikers (and Kanu in reserve).  According to the nice new team pictures on the OS.
    Pitiful innit.

Lots of talk about difficulty in getting strikers in.
    Most worth their salt in league one move onto the championship and do f**k all.
    Need to get that message across to potential candidates.
     I'd be surprised if there's 25 goals in all four of the above.
  • Options
    CafcWest said:
    Pitiful innit.

Just need another 21-goals then ;)
  • Options
    edited August 2022
    Taylor/Grant/Ajose/Vetokele & Parker scored 39 between them in the promotion season. Those numbers are very top heavy, but need roughly 40 goals from the front 3. 

Taylor got 21 in promotion season, Magennis got 10 the season we finished 6th. Imagine Stockley will be somewhere in between two. 

Not concerned about Stockley not scoring goals, but concerned about him getting him injured and having no back up. Just hope who ever is brought into be back up striker is an adequate replacement for him.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    CafcWest said:
    Pitiful innit.

Stockley and Chuck's got 17 goals between themselves last season. Be a brave man to bet against it.
    I think a decent performance against 10 men has gone to some heads a little bit.
  • Options
    edited August 2022
    CafcWest said:
    Pitiful innit.

Stockley and Chuck's got 17 goals between themselves last season. Be a brave man to bet against it.
    I think a decent performance against 10 men has gone to some heads a little bit.
    Long way to go either way - The bonus is we're not playing catch up from the very start this time around

It took us until the 2nd October to get over 7-pts last season... Eleven bloody games.

We can worry about any number of things between now and the end of the season... General injury crisis / losing Rak-Sakyi in January / wont have enough goals - But it was the slow start last year that ultimately killed our season... We had a bad run of form in February, but that form at the beginning, we just couldn't afford a single slip up once Jackson took charge, and was too big a task.
  • Options
    CafcWest said:
    Pitiful innit.

We were excellent when they had 11 men, Stockley in particular who was instrumental in our first 2 goals.
  • Options
    CafcWest said:
    Pitiful innit.

Any of those four getting double figures wouldn’t surprise me. Chuks currently looking unlikely due to his injuries but Stockley I’d expect it, while Leaburn and JRS already have three between them.
  • Options
    Scoham said:
    CafcWest said:
    Pitiful innit.

Any of those four getting double figures wouldn’t surprise me. Chuks currently looking unlikely due to his injuries but Stockley I’d expect it, while Leaburn and JRS already have three between them.
    You've supported Charlton for yonks like me no doubt.

What's the secret to keeping the cynic in its box??
    I've never mastered it.
  • Options
    edited August 2022
    We will bring in a striker.

Now we’re awesome in cup competitions we will be playing twice a week most weeks this season.

Definitely need someone to rotate Stockley with (that isn’t a kid or always injured) in the same way we rotated Inniss, CBT & Sessegnon out of the team on Tues (to keep them fresh for Sat).

Gallen and Garner know its all about having a squad of players that can play at the ‘expected performance levels’ that will get us promoted (& that they can’t expect Stockley to be firing on all cylinders every single match).
  • Options
    Jac_52 said:
    CafcWest said:
    Pitiful innit.

We were excellent when they had 11 men, Stockley in particular who was instrumental in our first 2 goals.
    I honestly think we were even better against 11.
  • Options
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Jac_52 said:
    CafcWest said:
    Pitiful innit.

I honestly think we were even better against 11.
    I think we’d have come out well enough in the second half at 2-0. The Clare goal sealed the game so I thought we were a bit laboured until they scored. 
  • Options
    Off_it said:
    arny23394 said:
    Everyone keeps saying that Stockley doesn't suit our system. He doesn't suit any system because he isn't very good. He seems to be missing chances more than ever. Must have spent too much time watching Washington in front of goal. 
    He scored 20 goals in 38 appearances last season.  
    7 of those goals were against Gateshead, Havant & Waterlooville, Southampton B & Villa u23s. 
    Didn't they count then?

It amazes me that people say "we need a 20 goals a season striker" and then we have one and they start disallowing some of those goals for obscure reasons. I'd rather he scored them than he didn't!
    When people say they want a 20 goal a season striker they’re saying they want a 20 league goals a season striker. 
    Goals against non league are bonuses of course, and help with a strikers confidence, but they have nowhere near the value of league goals.