Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Sandgaard, sign a striker.

Comments

• Options
    One problem is that TS only really spends on players who have potential sell on value. He refers to them not as players but 'investments' even. This excludes a lot of proven goal scorers who might consider dropping down the league in their twighlight years and who may do a job in League One.

I imagine we'll get a young loan signing in, if anything.. 
  • Options
    Seeing Washington score a good goal in the league above on Saturday and earn praise from his manager about his work rate all make the decision to release him look increasingly silly.
    Garner's pressing game is ideal for a player like him and if you drew up a list of the attributes we'd seek in any striker he'd fit the bill.
  • Options
    Sign a striker by all means but I'm still convinced that a left sided defender is the highest priority.
  • Options
    YTS1978 said:
    Stockley's quality isn't the issue here. We know he will score goals as he has done since he's been here. He's also so much more than a centre forward, he's excellent defensively at set pieces too. The problem is we have no back up for the lad! He carried an injury last year but played through it, he was ill Saturday but played through it until he couldn't give any more. That is madness. We can't expect Leaburn or Kanu to step up straight away, although both are clearly real prospect, and we all know abt Chuks. Am happy with the wide forwards we've signed  but we really do need a proper centre forward to compete with Jayden. I'd go for Stockton if we have the budget. Was very impressed with him at the Valley last season. COYA.
    Completely agree with this.

Stockley is a decent striker for L1 (and arguably Championship, if you set out to play to his strengths). There's plenty of good to his game. But if he's out or not at full fitness, we're going to struggle because no-one else can really impose themselves on a game and turn a result consistently. Aneke can if he is fit, and Leaburn might occasionally do this, but there's no real second option to him in his position to start games, which (in comparison to the rest of the squad), we have at least one other option. As we put more pressure on Stockley to start every league game, the risk of injury/knocks etc. increases.

Experience is what I think is needed, and a player that can play plenty of games and be an option instead of Stockley playing the majority of games. Tyreece Simpson sounds good as an investment, but Championship clubs are also sniffing around and we're going to find it hard to compete for money. Plus, he's only had a limited amount of football in L2, making him pretty raw.

Whichever way I look at it, I end up wanting Stockton. Won't be cheap, but if we truly have desires of getting out of this league, he'd be my best bet for rounding out the squad. I don't think a young "big club" loan does the work.
  • Options
    Off_it said:
    arny23394 said:
    Everyone keeps saying that Stockley doesn't suit our system. He doesn't suit any system because he isn't very good. He seems to be missing chances more than ever. Must have spent too much time watching Washington in front of goal. 
    He scored 20 goals in 38 appearances last season.  
    7 of those goals were against Gateshead, Havant & Waterlooville, Southampton B & Villa u23s. 
    Didn't they count then?

It amazes me that people say "we need a 20 goals a season striker" and then we have one and they start disallowing some of those goals for obscure reasons. I'd rather he scored them than he didn't!
    Of course they count, but those goals in the cup are completely irrelevant. We need a striker that is capable of scoring 20 in the league - Stockley isn’t that man in this system.

• Options
    Off_it said:
    arny23394 said:
    Everyone keeps saying that Stockley doesn't suit our system. He doesn't suit any system because he isn't very good. He seems to be missing chances more than ever. Must have spent too much time watching Washington in front of goal. 
    7 of those goals were against Gateshead, Havant & Waterlooville, Southampton B & Villa u23s. 
    Didn't they count then?

It amazes me that people say "we need a 20 goals a season striker" and then we have one and they start disallowing some of those goals for obscure reasons. I'd rather he scored them than he didn't!
    They count as goals but they don't help you get out of League 1.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited August 2022
    WSS said:
    13 league goals.
    The league goal stat is key though. 
  • Options
    edited August 2022
    Off_it said:
    arny23394 said:
    Didn't they count then?

Anyone and everyone mean league goals when they say that though, surely?
  • Options
    Croydon said:
    Off_it said:
    arny23394 said:
    Didn't they count then?

Anyone and everyone mean league goals when they say though, surely?
    Apparently some don't.
  • Options
    edited August 2022
    I agree I would like to see a striker who can play 40 games and score in 2 out of 3.  However it doesn't make him shit because he hasnt done that.  Macauley Bonne scored 12 goals in 40 across 2 seasons - that is shit - but as soon as he left he was immediately a massive loss according to the usual suspects.
  • Options
    I agree I would like to see a striker who can play 40 games and score in 2 out of 3.  However it doesn't make him shit because he hasnt done that.  Macauley Bonne scored 12 goals in 40 across 2 seasons - that is shit - and the usual suspects cream their pants every time he scores for someone else.  
    Doesn't make him good either.
  • Options
    edited August 2022
    I agree I would like to see a striker who can play 40 games and score in 2 out of 3.  However it doesn't make him shit because he hasnt done that.  Macauley Bonne scored 12 goals in 40 across 2 seasons - that is shit - and the usual suspects cream their pants every time he scores for someone else.  
    Doesn't make him good either.
    OK we'll have to agree to disagree - you have said "he isn't very good" which means he is poor.  I would say he is a competent L1 striker who needs a little additional support from the wings.  
  • Options
    edited August 2022
    13 in 33 is still a good return seeing as he was less than fit many of those games. 
  • Options
    Dazzler21 said:
    23 in 33 is still a good return seeing as he was less than fit many of those games. 
    Confused GIFs  Tenor
  • Options
    It's all getting very bad tempered on this forum recently.  I wish all you knobs would shut the f*** up and stop being needlessly combative.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    It's all getting very bad tempered on this forum recently.  I wish all you knobs would shut the f*** up and stop being needlessly combative.
    You want some 
  • Options
    I agree I would like to see a striker who can play 40 games and score in 2 out of 3.  However it doesn't make him shit because he hasnt done that.  Macauley Bonne scored 12 goals in 40 across 2 seasons - that is shit - but as soon as he left he was immediately a massive loss according to the usual suspects.
    He scored 11 in 33 games at championship level in his first year playing above non-league. That is far from shit. I think Stockley is a better striker than Bonne, but I think Bonne would be a better striker for this system and score more goals than Stockley in it 
  • Options
    Cloudworm said:
    One problem is that TS only really spends on players who have potential sell on value. He refers to them not as players but 'investments' even. This excludes a lot of proven goal scorers who might consider dropping down the league in their twighlight years and who may do a job in League One.

I imagine we'll get a young loan signing in, if anything.. 
    Aneke, Fraser, Shwartz, Stockley weren't the type of players you sign for resale value.  That's a lot of money spent.

Kirk is.

Not sure DJ and Clare were are were they just cheap?
  • Options
    Well according to Garner in the SLP we aren't getting a striker........
  • Options
    Dazzler21 said:
    23 in 33 is still a good return seeing as he was less than fit many of those games. 
    Confused GIFs  Tenor
    Apologies 13 obvs.
  • Options
    Cafc43v3r said:
    We aren't getting top 6 then.
  • Options
    Rothko said:
    clb74 said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Well that’s saved me 9 months of going to football then 🙄
    I'm still going.
    Got Wycombe, bolton and Barnsley booked.
    If we dont get at least 1 more striker we dont get top 6 t
  • Options
    Rothko said:
    clb74 said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Well that’s saved me 9 months of going to football then 🙄
    Might I help you get your tongue out of your cheek ? :wink: