Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Sandgaard, sign a striker.

Comments

• Options
    Washington scored against a Reading team, who really should be in League 1, let’s see how he goes against Burnley and Watford 
  • Options
    Washington wouldn’t fit this style that well. He is best in a direct team playing with a front 2 which is why he’s perfect for Rotherham. 
    I can’t see TS getting the chequebook out but if he does it’s going to be for a younger player not someone like Stockton. Tyrece Simpson has been mentioned a lot and would be a brilliant signing, looking around the EFL Brandon Thomas-Asante (Salford), Sam Nombe (Exeter), Sam Smith (Cambridge) are all the age we try and go for. Asante and Smith can play out wide as well so could also play in the team with Stockley 
  • Options
    Get the feeling we’ll have to wait til the end of the window when we’ll get a Prem loanee. Whether he works out will be in the lap of the gods. 
    But if TS is liking our start to the season he might be tempted to push out the boat a bit financially, to get us over the line. Who knows. 
  • Options
    I should think signing a striker is about 11th on Sandgaards to do list.
    I think he’s working on a sequel to Addicks to Victory……Addicks to mid-table lower league mediocrity…just as catchy but with slightly quieter chanting …….

Definitely need a striker, oh and affordable tickets 
  • Options
    IAgree said:
    I should think signing a striker is about 11th on Sandgaards to do list.
    I think he’s working on a sequel to Addicks to Victory……Addicks to mid-table lower league mediocrity…just as catchy but with slightly quieter chanting …….

Definitely need a striker, oh and affordable tickets 
    I still think he means well however
  • Options
    edited August 2022
    JamesSeed said:
    Get the feeling we’ll have to wait til the end of the window when we’ll get a Prem loanee. Whether he works out will be in the lap of the gods. 
    But if TS is liking our start to the season he might be tempted to push out the boat a bit financially, to get us over the line. Who knows. 
    That is the hope. Fraser was brought in the final of day of the window. Here’s hoping our number 1 option becomes available on final day and we are in a position to sign them.

• Options
    edited August 2022
    Just watching the ITV highlights and Washington also missed an absolute sitter
  • Options
    Aribo scored for Southampton 😢
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited August 2022
    Looking around the division, I see Marquis scored the winner for Brizzle Rovers, Bishop scored 2 for Pompey (1 from the spot) and Conor Wickham scored for FGR...
    Funny, when I said the exact same thing on the match thread yesterday I got pelters & abused. 

We've had 3 months to sign a striker & now you want it done in 2 weeks.

Ain't happening folks. We signed JRS & he will be used as one of the wide strikers in a front 3. If we do happen to being in a "striker" it will be another unproven loanee. We wont be paying money for a 25 year old with a goal scoring record in the EFL.
  • Options
    Washington probably wouldn't have been the answer yesterday (and probably would have replaced Kirk, rather than Stockley), but principally, he was the kind of player that we don't have. CBT has enough gas to do 60-70mins of the way he plays, but I feel in Garner's system, you need more running into space and stretching defences with pace. Washington was a fairly wasteful finisher and wanted balls over the top (rather than held up), but he made runs that made space for others and gave defenders something else to think about.

I've been banging on about Stockton for ages. I think his hold up play is better than Stockley, he makes cleverer movement and he is a better finisher. However, for money and probably-doesn't-want-to-play-down-south reasons, I don't think we'll be signing him. He almost certainly wouldn't get as many as last year, but if I were a betting man, I think I'd wager him getting more goals than Stockley if he was our main striker.

Stockley is a good player for this league. I like how he carries himself for the club and his desire in games. He holds the ball up well and can also help defensively. I just don't think he carries enough threat against the large amount of wily teams with big CBs that have no stress playing against him. Aneke can't be relied on as a plan B reliably, so yes, absolutely another striker is needed.

I'm hopeful that Rak-Sakyi might be able to chip in with a few, but I just think we need another hold up striker who can score and give another option to Stockley.
  • Options
    To late now to get in one or better two proven league one or even league 2 strikers. Sandagaard cocked up by not shelling out early in the transfer window for strikers. if he did so now he will just be paying for other clubs useless cast offs. So now he has to hope some 18 year old from an premiership academy is the new Wayne Roony.  Next to no chance.
  • Options
    Just seen the highlights on the rolling reels thread.

The miss by CBT in the first half epitimises what I've been saying for months. It's ok having wingers/attacking midfielders as part of your front 3 but only if they are natural finishers/goalscorers. A proper striker would have buried that chance. More composure & clinical finishing is needed. Sadly none of ours have that (baring maybe Payne) and that's why we wont finish in the top 6. We will create chances but they wont be scored because the strikers/wingers/midfielders are not goalscorers. 
    They don’t all need to be natural finishers though. Your point is valid about CBT but it wouldn’t matter so much if you had two players in the front 3 who weren’t as good as him but scored more goals. You need to find the balance. Players with pace, who can beat a man, create chances and score goals, is unlikely to be playing League 1. We do need another attacking player though, and we’re also reliant on Rak-Sakyi being able to transfer goalscoring form from youth football to League 1. 
  • Options
    In the formation we play, it’s always going to be a wide player getting to that chance, not the main striker. The two wide players need to be better finishers, hence JRS being signed 
  • Options
    Get Igor back.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    msomerton said:
    To late now to get in one or better two proven league one or even league 2 strikers. Sandagaard cocked up by not shelling out early in the transfer window for strikers. if he did so now he will just be paying for other clubs useless cast offs. So now he has to hope some 18 year old from an premiership academy is the new Wayne Roony.  Next to no chance.
    Can I ask which strikers have gone where who you would like to have seen come to us, those that cost the buying Club's a transfer fee that is.

It may be my imagination, but I've not seen much activity of that sort elsewhere in L1. Happy to be proved wrong of course.

I know we need someone urgently, but I've no idea what's realistic.
  • Options
    Looking around the division, I see Marquis scored the winner for Brizzle Rovers, Bishop scored 2 for Pompey (1 from the spot) and Conor Wickham scored for FGR...
    Funny, when I said the exact same thing on the match thread yesterday I got pelters & abused. 

Ain't happening folks. We signed JRS & he will be used as one of the wide strikers in a front 3. If we do happen to being in a "striker" it will be another unproven loanee. We wont be paying money for a 25 year old with a goal scoring record in the EFL.
    We’re supposed to have bids in on a couple of players, and none of us know if one is a striker or not. 
  • Options
    msomerton said:
    Might sound like clutching at straws, but they have said that they’ve had bids in for a couple of players ‘for some time’, and it’s now a matter of waiting.
  • Options
    edited August 2022
    FFS stop giving him ideas for new songs!!!
    To the tune of "Panic":

"Panic on the streets of Charlton,
    Thomas Sandgaard sign a striker,
    Sign a striker sign a striker sign a striker.
    Thomas Sandgaard
    Sign a striker
    Thomas Sandgaard
    Sign a striker"  etc?
  • Options
    Croydon said:
    Just watching the ITV highlights and Washington also missed an absolute sitter
    Reading keeper also had an absolute mare
  • Options
    Rothko said:
    Washington scored against a Reading team, who really should be in League 1, let’s see how he goes against Burnley and Watford 
    A reading team playing junior hoilett in defence 
  • Options
    GET A STRIKER 
  • Options

Mainly because those aren't really a thing that happens any more. As soon as any bright young striker hits 15-20 or more two seasons in a row (or even sometimes just the once) they are headed to the Championship.

In League One it's always a gamble. Either a kid who might never hit those heights again or an older player having an Indian summer and a season they never showed before or since. Proven, established League One strikers legitimately don't get much better than Stockley (in the right system for him, which ours is not). That's not necessarily a high bar but it's the reality of this level.
  • Options
    Everyone keeps saying that Stockley doesn't suit our system. He doesn't suit any system because he isn't very good. He seems to be missing chances more than ever. Must have spent too much time watching Washington in front of goal. 
  • Options
    Everyone keeps saying that Stockley doesn't suit our system. He doesn't suit any system because he isn't very good. He seems to be missing chances more than ever. Must have spent too much time watching Washington in front of goal. 
    Now now. I think Stockley's significant hip injury may have something to do with his form since returning from it.