Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Sandgaard, sign a striker.

Comments

• Options
    edited August 2022
    Stockley either needs a partner or the wide men who form part of the front free to play like a partner when the ball is coming in from the opposite side. If the ball is crossed and he has three defenders on him, what is he expected to do? The main reason for me that he doesn't work in the system is the wide men are not functioning as they should if we are relying on them to contribute goals and support Stockley.

Of course if they do play like a partner, the midfield have to make runs in the box. Yesterday, possibly due to the heat, our wide men were taking up positions Fraser at least should and Stockley was the only one competing for crosses. They have to be looking to come in at the far post and at least it would take a defender away from Stockley. Then half clearances and knockdowns can potentially fall to midfielders further back in the box.
  • Options
    msomerton said:
    To late now to get in one or better two proven league one or even league 2 strikers. Sandagaard cocked up by not shelling out early in the transfer window for strikers. if he did so now he will just be paying for other clubs useless cast offs. So now he has to hope some 18 year old from an premiership academy is the new Wayne Roony.  Next to no chance.
    This x 100%
  • Options
    Dazzler21 said:
    Everyone keeps saying that Stockley doesn't suit our system. He doesn't suit any system because he isn't very good. He seems to be missing chances more than ever. Must have spent too much time watching Washington in front of goal. 
    Now now. I think Stockley's significant hip injury may have something to do with his form since returning from it.
    Unless there's evidence to substantiate that theory, I'd say it's a red herring.

However, should that be a reason for his "lack of form", then it's even more imperative that TS stumps up whatever's required to bag a decent( for L1) striker before the window closes. 

Tick tock....

BTW. I noticed that Lyle T was on the bench for Forest today & remained an unused sub. 
  • Options
    edited August 2022
    Stockley either needs a partner or the wide men who form part of the front free to play like a partner when the ball is coming in from the opposite side. If the ball is crossed and he has three defenders on him, what is he expected to do? The main reason for me that he doesn't work in the system is the wide men are not functioning as they should if we are relying on them to contribute goals and support Stockley.

Of course if they do play like a partner, the midfield have to make runs in the box. Yesterday, possibly due to the heat, our wide men were taking up positions Fraser at least should and Stockley was the only one competing for crosses. They have to be looking to come in at the far post and at least it would take a defender away from Stockley. Then half clearances and knockdowns can potentially fall to midfielders further back in the box.
    Agree which is why we've brought in JRS, a goalscoring wide forward.

Not getting enough men in the box was mentioned after the game on Charlton TV. The good thing about that being an issue is it shouldn't be difficult to fix. A lot of it is simply down to the midfielders and wide players continually making runs into the box when we attack. Do that and chances like the goals Fraser and CBT scored will fall to them. I'd argue the ability and energy to keep making those runs is more important than being a clinical finisher - making those runs 5-10 times a game should result in more goals than a top finisher getting in the box once or twice and having to be clinical with every chance they get.

The heat would have also played a part. I'd like to see what Payne can do playing in the midfield 3 rather than out wide.

We definitely need another striker but if the midfield and wide players don't get in the box our problems won't be solved by having a better and quicker striker than Stockley.
  • Options
    Stockley hasn’t scored to date and yet he is our skipper and only fit main striker in a formation/system of play that doesn’t suit him. Go figure!
    Our only other striker will be injured most of the time and used as an impact sub at best.
    Nevermind, it’s only the 14th August. I’m sure the Sandgaards will sort it all out over breakfast by the close of the transfer window! Whether it’ll even be the January one is open to conjecture!
  • Options
    Looking around the division, I see Marquis scored the winner for Brizzle Rovers, Bishop scored 2 for Pompey (1 from the spot) and Conor Wickham scored for FGR...
    Funny, when I said the exact same thing on the match thread yesterday I got pelters & abused. 

We've had 3 months to sign a striker & now you want it done in 2 weeks.

Ain't happening folks. We signed JRS & he will be used as one of the wide strikers in a front 3. If we do happen to being in a "striker" it will be another unproven loanee. We wont be paying money for a 25 year old with a goal scoring record in the EFL.
    It is like that on here. Some can write stuff on here. Others write the same and whoosh.  Spite and cat calling everywhere.

At least you managed to write a post without using the word "A&eke"
  • Options
    Rothko said:
    Everyone keeps saying that Stockley doesn't suit our system. He doesn't suit any system because he isn't very good. He seems to be missing chances more than ever. Must have spent too much time watching Washington in front of goal. 
    The revisionism on Stockley in the space of 3 games is exceptional even by CL standards. Is Stockley any good for this system, dunno, but he should have scored at Accrington and against Derby, and helps create space for the smaller two in the three up top.  

I also forgot some people’s ability to go nuclear after one defeat 
    so he should have scored but didn't? Hard to tell what side of the fence you're on if that's your argument!
  • Options
    Croydon said:
    Rothko said:
    The revisionism on Stockley in the space of 3 games is exceptional even by CL standards. Is Stockley any good for this system, dunno, but he should have scored at Accrington and against Derby, and helps create space for the smaller two in the three up top.  

so he should have scored but didn't? Hard to tell what side of the fence you're on if that's your argument!
    Balanced, which is he did some good things for the team, but missed two good chances, can't be bothered with the extremes, loads better at it on here. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    In football we all know players don't score with every chance. We have enough information on Stockley to know that he will get his fair share if he gets enough chances so we are not worried if he misses. Whereas an unproven scorer missing is more cause for concern.
  • Options
    I think there is a lot of transfer business yet to be done throughout the divisions, so am not giving up on any hope for another forward, nor left sided defender yet and trust in Gallen and Garner based on recent acquisitions. Have faith…
  • Options
    In football we all know players don't score with every chance. We have enough information on Stockley to know that he will get his fair share if he gets enough chances so we are not worried if he misses. Whereas an unproven scorer missing is more cause for concern.
    No, a miss is a miss and when the frequency of those misses increases then that is a concern.
  • Options
    I am happy with Stockley's score miss ratio. For a League One striker. I am not happy with say CBTs.
  • Options
    I am happy with Stockley's score miss ratio. For a League One striker. I am not happy with say CBTs.
    Happy with 0 goals in 3 games? 
  • Options
    Give Kanu another chance?  Off the bench at least?
  • Options
    You can't really compare the two because only one of them is supposed to be a striker.
    If we created endless chances every game then Stockley's misses wouldn't matter as much, but we don't.
  • Options
    You can't really compare the two because only one of them is supposed to be a striker.
    If we created endless chances every game then Stockley's misses wouldn't matter as much, but we don't.
    We don’t yet but look how quickly we’ve had long spells in games dominating possession, that’s a big turn around from the type of football we played last season. There’s still more to come from this team in the final third.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited August 2022
    My point is that he is the best striker we have and you have the right point about CBT. You have to look at the goals we will get from the front 3 as a whole in our system.
  • Options
    So much of the system relies on the 'wide' players and midfielders to score, which is why the central striker bit of this feels like the least important part, other then we don't have cover, and why I'd rather get a McKirdy type wide player who scores into the team. But different opinions on a similar problem 
  • Options
    Scoham said:
    We don’t yet but look how quickly we’ve had long spells in games dominating possession, that’s a big turn around from the type of football we played last season. There’s still more to come from this team in the final third.
    We need to see how we do against the weaker teams but we also know that opposing managers will adapt. As we’ve seen previously, people work out how to play against you and then others copy the successful ones. A lot then depends on Garner.
    If you can dominate possession away to Sheffield Wednesday then in theory you should be doing the same to lesser teams as well though. Especially as the players become more used to each other and the way Garner wants to play.

Admittedly all irrelevant though if we don't score.
  • Options
    Scoham said:
    We need to see how we do against the weaker teams but we also know that opposing managers will adapt. As we’ve seen previously, people work out how to play against you and then others copy the successful ones. A lot then depends on Garner.
    Very good point Airman. In recent years we have never really been able to dominate games against the ‘weaker’ sides. Indeed often it would feel like we would pull of a really good win away from home against strong opposition, just to then be completely lacklustre, to the point of being outplayed, at home next game against a side you would have us down to beat.

I wonder if some of that is what Garner alluded to in his post match interview after the Derby game. 

In terms of Garner’s ability to adapt, it’s very early days yet, and of course it will also depend on the players, but he feels to me like someone who does have that ability. If you listen and read stuff about him he comes across as a very knowledgeable and forward thinking coach who is willing to go out and learn, and showed last season with Ipswich he will change things up. 
  • Options
    My point is that he is the best striker we have and you have the right point about CBT. You have to look at the goals we will get from the front 3 as a whole in our system.
    It’s also Garner’s job to coach and improve players. He should be (and I believe he is) looking at how he can get more from players like CBT who have clear potential to play at a higher level. Many on here have called for us to sign May, Stockton or McKirdy, go back two years and none of them were consistently scoring. Same with Aribo when he first broke through.
  • Options
    Very good analysis of this on the Charlton Live pod.  The potential really seems there this season but a good striker to compete with good striker Stockley et al will realise it.

Would gamble on Stockton if I was TS as it may be more prudent doing so than not in terms of prospects in escaping cash (and soul) sapping League One.

Will feel like a wasted opportunity to not capitalise on what has been really positive early signs of our prospects so far.
    I’d much rather gamble on Tyrece Simpson who is only 20 and Garner will already know he fits the system. And I think if Garner is trying to convince TS to sign a striker he is much more likely to do so if he can see a potential return on the investment rather than spending a fee on a player in their late twenties 
  • Options
    Rothko said:

Spot on.  
  • Options
    He scored 20 goals in 38 appearances last season.  
  • Options
    He scored 20 goals in 38 appearances last season.  
    13 league goals.