Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Sandgaard, sign a striker.

Comments

• Options
    I've been a big critic of Stockley but, other than still missing chances, he was excellent the other night. He lead the line really well, brought others into play and got into goalscoring positions.
    He needs to do this on a regular basis.
  • Options
    edited August 2022
    It is all about how well he is supported IMO, not about him. If he is isolated with a couple of defedenders on him and nobody around him, what is he supposed to do?
  • Options
    It is all about how well he is supported IMO, not about him. If he is isolated with a couple of defedenders on him and nobody around him, what is he supposed to do?
    Cast your mind back to the 2nd home league game of last season.  4 for the front 6 were the same but the difference was night and day.  Then he had to shout because there was no one within 20 meters of him.  Tuesday night he could have whispered and someone would have heard him.
  • Options
    Don't just stay in the middle and make it easy for defenders. Come short for passes into his feet or drag the defenders out of the middle to make room for others.
    There are always options but IMO Jayden is often too static and one-dimensional. He showed on Tuesday night that he doesn't have to be.
  • Options
    Don't just stay in the middle and make it easy for defenders. Come short for passes into his feet or drag the defenders out of the middle to make room for others.
    There are always options but IMO Jayden is often too static and one-dimensional. He showed on Tuesday night that he doesn't have to be.
    Agreed. He has to adapt to our new system, the new system won't adapt to him, Tuesday showed he can do it.
  • Options
    Jac_52 said:
    CafcWest said:
    But we already have 4 strikers (and Kanu in reserve).  According to the nice new team pictures on the OS.
    Pitiful innit.

Lots of talk about difficulty in getting strikers in.
    Most worth their salt in league one move onto the championship and do f**k all.
    Need to get that message across to potential candidates.
     I'd be surprised if there's 25 goals in all four of the above.
    Just need another 21-goals then ;)
    Stockley and Chuck's got 17 goals between themselves last season. Be a brave man to bet against it.
    I think a decent performance against 10 men has gone to some heads a little bit.

We were excellent when they had 11 men, Stockley in particular who was instrumental in our first 2 goals.
    It was a great assist tbf, but he should probably have scored with the header. 
  • Options
    Scoham said:
    CafcWest said:
    But we already have 4 strikers (and Kanu in reserve).  According to the nice new team pictures on the OS.
    Pitiful innit.

Lots of talk about difficulty in getting strikers in.
    Most worth their salt in league one move onto the championship and do f**k all.
    Need to get that message across to potential candidates.
     I'd be surprised if there's 25 goals in all four of the above.
    Any of those four getting double figures wouldn’t surprise me. Chuks currently looking unlikely due to his injuries but Stockley I’d expect it, while Leaburn and JRS already have three between them.
    You've supported Charlton for yonks like me no doubt.

What's the secret to keeping the cynic in its box??
    I've never mastered it.
    Have you tried dropping acid?
  • Options
    edited August 2022
    He did exactly this sort of thing last year, and he’s been doing it more frequently since the first game of pre season - which I’ve been at pains to point out. 

People have their pre conceived version of what they think Jayden is like because he’s physical, not the quickest and scores a lot with his head. When actually technically he is not that bad at all - look at this penalty taking for instance. 

We don’t know if Garner was essentially lumbered with him or not, but to give him the captains armband shows he has faith in him and how he can fit into his style of play.  
  • Options
    He did exactly this sort of thing last year, and he’s been doing it more frequently since the first game of pre season - which I’ve been at pains to point out frequently. 

People have their pre conceived version of what they think Jayden is like because he’s physical, not the quickest and scores a lot with his head. When actually technically he is not that bad at all - look at this penalty taking for instance. 

We don’t know if Garner was essentially lumbered with him or not, but to give him the captains armband shows he has faith in him. 
    Can't say that I noticed it too much last season, nor in the previous games this season.
    Taking a  penalty really doesn't say much about a player's technical ability.
    Tuesday's performance needs to be repeated week in, week out. I hope that he does it.

• Options
    He did exactly this sort of thing last year, and he’s been doing it more frequently since the first game of pre season - which I’ve been at pains to point out frequently. 

We don’t know if Garner was essentially lumbered with him or not, but to give him the captains armband shows he has faith in him. 
    Can't say that I noticed it too much last season, nor in the previous games this season.
    Tuesday's performance needs to be repeated week in, week out. I hope that he does it.

I can tell you he certainly did do it last year, and relatively often as well. He would often be the striker to drop deep, link up play, whilst Washington played off the shoulder. 

I’m certain if we had access to comprehensive stats we would see that. 

What do you think makes him the first choice penalty taker at the club over someone like Scott Fraser who took them at MK Dons?

Its certainly not through lack of technical ability that’s for sure. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

I can tell you he certainly did do it last year, and relatively often as well. He would often be the striker to drop deep, link up play, whilst Washington played off the shoulder. 

I’m certain if we had access to comprehensive stats we would see that. 

What do you think makes him the first choice penalty taker at the club over someone like Scott Fraser who took them at MK Dons?

Its certainly not through lack of technical ability that’s for sure. 
    I'm sure that he would have used his position as captain and main striker to be named as penalty taker. I doubt that they had a competition at the training ground to decide it.
    Aa long as he scores the penalties when they come our way, I don't care.
  • Options
    Bump......with f******g bells on!
  • Options
    Pleeeease sign a striker. It’s not that Stockley is playing badly, he just doesn’t fit into this system. 
  • Options
    Josh Parker still available?
  • Options
    We are not signing another centre forward.
    Get over it.
  • Options
    We are not signing another centre forward.
    Get over it.
    Yet another shite season awaits. Oh joy.
  • Options
    Sandgaard could derail a promising season for not signing another striker. A decision that will cost him a helluva lot more in the long run than actually shelling out for one. 
    Everyone knows that bar the Sandgaards, who obviously know best.
  • Options
    boggzy said:
    Sandgaard could derail a promising season for not signing another striker. A decision that will cost him a helluva lot more in the long run than actually shelling out for one. 
    Do we know that they disagree? Or do they just have a belief it can be done fairly cheaply at the end of the window?
  • Options
    edited August 2022
    boggzy said:
    They know mate….they just don’t want to advertise it to agents.

Lets see how things look on Thurs once the window has slammed shut.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    The cynic in me says to put money on Stockley getting a straight red on Saturday 🙄
  • Options
    edited August 2022
    Today showed just why we need a decent striker. Some good build up play mostly came to nought because the midfield/ wide players just aren't good enough as finishing off chances (apart from JRS). Time & time again the ball was played around their box but no-one had the nouse, skill or desire to score. Mendonca would have had a field day in this team. 
  • Options
    aliwibble said:
    The cynic in me says to put money on Stockley getting a straight red on Saturday 🙄
    Why? 
  • Options
    Sage said:
    aliwibble said:
    Why? 
    Because if we don’t sign a striker it will be typical Charlton that Stockley gets himself either suspended or injured, leaving us with just an 18 year old Miles Leaburn who is not ready yet, albeit done very well given circumstances. It will sum us up that we usually don’t help ourselves and get hurt badly in turn from it.

I desperately hope this time it is different and a new striker is in the building next week.
    Yeah very true in that regard - Be even bigger sods law as well, given that Stockley's record of picking up red cards isn't too bad, which is why I was initially surprised by Ali's comment
  • Options
    edited August 2022
    aliwibble said:
    Why? 
    - The referees in this league are awful.
    - He could start getting frustrated at the L1 defensive shithousery.
    - Teams could start targeting him more.

If there were more managers like Steve Evans in this league, it's a viable strategy. Anyone watching us (and our squad) could deduce this as a weakness. Take out Stockley and we have an 18 year-old on the bench with less than a handful of first team games under his belt.

I'd hope that, as a senior player and captain, he'd have the sense, but I could absolutely see it happening. 
  • Options
    Aneke's fitness (or to be more accurate lack of fitness) record is such that he should be ignored and if by some unlikely miracle he is ever available to play just take it as a bonus.

We need 2 strikers really.
  • Options
    Today showed just why we need a decent striker. Some good build up play mostly came to nought because the midfield/ wide players just aren't good enough as finishing off chances (apart from JRS). Time & time again the ball was played around their box but no-one had the nouse, skill or desire to score. Mendonca would have had a field day in this team. 
    I don’t think it’s a question of a decent striker per se - I think Stockley is a very decent striker at this level. I would guess his scoring ratio when paired with Washington, who was perfect for him, was very much decent.

What we need is a striker that fits this system, that isn’t Stockley. Stockley might give us a decent plan B though is we can get someone in who fits the plan A.
  • Options
    If Stockley isn't going to fit this system, then he should be sold and new strikers bought that do. Garner must be a bit pissed off. I know he's come from League Two, but even he must be a bit concerned about the team budget. Curbs said there's not enough goals in this side. Whether he's up to date with modern tactics, who knows, but he can see what our fans have said since pre-season. TS can also see it, but will he fund the changes needed for this business of his to become successful?