Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Sandgaard, sign a striker.

Comments

• Options
    Are their 2nd and 3rd choice fit strikers better than Kanu and Gavin? I'm saying that because we're only one injury away from having to face that reality.
  • Options
    I think we could have a situation where we have a wealth of strikers in a year's time with the young players coming through but it does feel a year early for them.
  • Options
    edited August 2022
    clb74 said:
    Chunes said:
    Portsmouth play with 2 strikers and currently only have 3.
    Is 1 of them 3 injury prone?
    18 years old and played less than 5 senior games in his life?

Well yes, kind of. Dane Scarlett is one of the three, he's eighteen and has only ever made eight senior appearances (including this season).
  • Options
    They have Colby Bishop, Joe Piggott & Hackett-Fairchild as their main 3 forwards. 
  • Options
    LenGlover said:
    Aneke's fitness (or to be more accurate lack of fitness) record is such that he should be ignored and if by some unlikely miracle he is ever available to play just take it as a bonus.

We need 2 strikers really.
    You want five strikers for one position?
    Aneke was played as more of a 10 in pre season. We have JS and Miles as 9s, and even then Miles has mainly been used wide. Think he’d struggle in the middle against two big lumps, at this stage in his career. Would be detrimental to chuck him in at the deep end at his young age. 
  • Options
    It could potentially work with a partner but he can't be expected to lead the line. In an ideal World he would be given a short break from the first team with his confidence high, to work on a few things and then return a better player. That is how it should be done. Stockley gets injured and a massive weight will be on him which is not fair or reasonable on the lad who is shaping up to be a tidy player. 
  • Options
    edited August 2022
    They have Colby Bishop, Joe Piggott & Hackett-Fairchild as their main 3 forwards. 
    He's a right winger these days. He is playing for them as the RM in their 442. 
  • Options
    edited August 2022
    Chunes said:
    He's a right winger these days. He is playing for them as the RM in their 442. 
    FFS... Here come the HoC comments
    That window has already slammed shut mate!
  • Options
    Chunes said:
    They’ve got 3, but Curtis has been playing up front in some games this season. And Owen Dale can also do the same so they’ve really got at least 5 options
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited August 2022
    Stockley has done reasonably well in our home games and after each one I come away thinking maybe he can do it in this system. But it’s the away games where he has really struggled and other than one header at Accrington I can’t remember another time he even looked like scoring in an away game. That’s why we need another option and it needs to be one that competes with him for the starting spot not just cover. If we don’t get that signing right then we won’t be in the top 6 unless Aneke by some miracle gets fit and stays fit 
  • Options
    NabySarr said:
    Chunes said:
    They’ve got 3, but Curtis has been playing up front in some games this season. And Owen Dale can also do the same so they’ve really got at least 5 options

They actually have Curtis, Piggott, Bishop, Scarlett as front players at the moment.

Dale and Hackett-Fairchild can fill in if needs be.
  • Options
    What was he doing on the pitch the other day and who was the other guy ? 
  • Options
    What was he doing on the pitch the other day and who was the other guy ? 
    Wycombe owner. Another American. 
    Thanking the fans for being there I guess. 
  • Options
    edited August 2022
    sam3110 said:
    Why don't we start Payne more? If Stockley isn't going to be the one galumphing up the park on the counter attack, Kirk and Rak-Sakyi are, then you need a pacy midfielder to keep up with them 2 instead, and Fraser, Dobson and Morgan aren't that. Payne isn't lightning quick but he's faster than the aforementioned at least 
    You obviously didn't see the game on Saturday.
    I don't know why, other than it was very hot, but Payne looked absolutely exhausted about 5 mins after he came on.
    Plus he was poor.
    Something's not right.
  • Options
    edited August 2022
    NabySarr said:
    Chunes said:

They actually have Curtis, Piggott, Bishop, Scarlett as front players at the moment.

If we were them is that what we'd be saying... 

Curtis is a winger/wide forward isn't he? He's always played wide for them when I've seen him. 

Essentially they've got 2 senior strikers and an 18-year old for 2 positions. I'm sure their fans want at least 2 more. 
  • Options
    edited August 2022
    sam3110 said:
    Why don't we start Payne more? If Stockley isn't going to be the one galumphing up the park on the counter attack, Kirk and Rak-Sakyi are, then you need a pacy midfielder to keep up with them 2 instead, and Fraser, Dobson and Morgan aren't that. Payne isn't lightning quick but he's faster than the aforementioned at least 
    I don't know why, other than it was very hot, but Payne looked absolutely exhausted about 5 mins after he came on.
    Plus he was poor.
    Something's not right.
    Probably not relevant, but were the subs sitting in direct sunlight? Looked to me like the dugout had a clear roof, so no shade. 
    We had to move back to seats in the shade at half time because of the heat, and it can take it out of you. 
    You see players at Wimbledon sitting under umbrellas to avoid direct sunlight as much as possible. Just a thought. 
  • Options
    JamesSeed said:
    sam3110 said:
    Plus he was poor.
    Something's not right.
    Probably not relevant, but were the subs sitting in direct sunlight? Looked to me like the dugout had a clear roof, so no shade. 
    We had to move back to seats in the shade at half time because of the heat, and it can take it out of you. 
    You see players at Wimbledon sitting under umbrellas to avoid direct sunlight as much as possible. Just a thought. 
    You’re after the xTemperature stats.
  • Options
    JamesSeed said:
    sam3110 said:
    Plus he was poor.
    Something's not right.
    Yes I was thinking the same, that they were probably in the direct sunlight and I too moved back 2nd half because I couldn't take the heat. It was hot and that was why the 2nd half understandably was much slower.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Chunes said:
    NabySarr said:
    Chunes said:

Curtis is a winger/wide forward isn't he? He's always played wide for them when I've seen him. 

Essentially they've got 2 senior strikers and an 18-year old for 2 positions. I'm sure their fans want at least 2 more. 
    can we just get this right, once and for all - this isn't about numbers or squad depth - we do not have a single striker at the club (barring possibly Leaburn - who is a raw 18 year old) that is equipped to play the lone striker role - that, is why it is so important that we sign one and eclipses any other position / signing by a country mile 
  • Options
    DOUCHER said:
    Chunes said:
    NabySarr said:
    Chunes said:

can we just get this right, once and for all - this isn't about numbers or squad depth - we do not have a single striker at the club (barring possibly Leaburn - who is a raw 18 year old) that is equipped to play the lone striker role - that, is why it is so important that we sign one and eclipses any other position / signing by a country mile 
    Except for CB, obviously. 
  • Options
    edited August 2022
    DOUCHER said:
    Chunes said:
    NabySarr said:
    Chunes said:

Was that meant as a reply to me? I don't disagree. A better fit than Stockley would be a big help.
  • Options
    JamesSeed said:
    DOUCHER said:
    Chunes said:
    NabySarr said:
    Chunes said:

It’s not obvious at all.
  • Options
    JamesSeed said:
    DOUCHER said:
    Chunes said:
    NabySarr said:
    Chunes said:

you're on the register seed, attempts at humour at this stage are futile 
  • Options
    paulg1947 said:
    Jac_52 said:
    cafcpolo said:
    Jac_52 said:
    Dazzler21 said:
    Can we re-sign wash for 300k?
    Not good enough for us apparently. Will probably go to Wimbledon with Jacko……

Oh wait what’s that, he’s scoring goals in the league above in a team that’s won 4-0 today..?

Washington would have done jack shit today for us.
    No no no no no. Playing this system requires a striker who can beat the offside trap and get behind the defence. He might not be the most prolific of finishers but that's what Washington excelled at.
    Washington suits a direct team that is fast in transition and doesn't care about possession. He would be utterly redundant in this system up top on his own and just cause us to cede possession. He scored 9 open play goals per season for us, really don't get why people are clamouring for him. Clamouring for another striker I get but not Washington.

He scored 1 goal today in a mauling, fine, but his overall game was poor. He completed 3 passes in his match today before he was subbed in fact, truly not what we need in a lone striker.
    I am not sure if a lot of us, want Washington back (bit 'tongue in cheek ,surely) Its just that in the predicament we're in, selling him before a replacement was lined up, is sheer madness This is the main issure

Basically we should never have sold Davison