Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Charlton Athletic v Plymouth Argyle | Tuesday 16th August 2022, 19:45 | Match Preview

Charlton Athletic v Plymouth Argyle
Tuesday 16th August 2022 | Kick-Off: 19:45
Live on Charlton TV (UK included)
Match Odds: Charlton 6/5 - Draw 12/5 - Plymouth 11/5

Referee: Sam Purkiss - Previously officiated Charlton in our 2-0 win against Shrewsbury Town, our last home match of last season.

Introduction
It seems I get the short straw when it's my turn for the previews. After an impressive display for 60 minutes in Yorkshire, Garner's Addicks fell to their first defeat of the season. Optimism was free-flowing prior to our visit to Hillsborough, and rightly so because the football on show is a vast improvement and one thing I banged on about last season was a lack of identity. We have that now. Losing by the solitary goal against a strong Sheffield Wednesday away from home is not something to get down about. Without going into too much detail, I think we know where we need to add some quality and Gallen said in his most recent interview, adding goals to the side is a priority... sometimes, after a defeat the best thing to have is a game only a few days later. I am sure Ben will Garner the positives to get the team ready for our next opponents at The Valley, Plymouth Argyle. 

Opposition
Manager: Stephen Schumacher (50% win rate) | Stadium: Home Park
League Position: 5th | Nickname(s): The Pilgrims - Named after a religious group who left Plymouth for the New World in 1620, setting sail toward Massachusetts.
League Form: WLW

Plymouth played at home against Peterborough United on Saturday, winning 2-0, their line up was:

Cooper
Wilson | Scarr | Gillesphey
Edwards | Houghton | Randell | Mumba
Azaz | Mayor
Hardie

Plymouth turned on the attacking style on Saturday, playing progressive and fluent football through the thirds. Impressive when they played a double header against Peterborough, losing 2-0 at home in the EFL Cup was followed up by a role reversal in the league just 3 days later. Prior to that, The Pilgrims had won on the opening day against another newly relegated side in Barnsley but couldn't follow it up away at Fleetwood, 1-0 and 2-1 respectively. Despite their loss up north and being knocked out of the cup, Plymouth have made a positive start and find themselves sitting in 5th. Schumacher has come out the races as a first time manager, continuing to prove what a good job he is doing, especially for a club where their location is always going to count against them.

When looking through the Plymouth team, I think football fans would agree that their most dangerous player is Ryan Hardie. The striker put two away on Saturday, making it 3 for the season in as many games. The 25 year-old Scot scored 19 in all competitions last season, 16 in the league, and looks set to continue that fine form this term. The mobile frontman is likely to be a vital cog in the wheel if Plymouth are steer their way through the tides of League One to challenge for the top six. Another player to look out for (if he is available as there are doubts around his fitness) is a young wing-back on loan from Norwich, Bali Mumba. The 20 year-old right footer has been deployed on the left and is clever going forward; winning a penalty in each of Plymouth's last two league fixtures. Mumba may remind some of Sessegnon and it will be interesting to see how he copes defensively when faced up against our wide players.

There are gaps to exploit around the Plymouth side. An example being as Mumba pushes forward, they haven't yet mastered the art of filling the space in behind. To really exploit that, you need the midfielders running beyond, you need the wide forward staying wide, and you need the striker to be smart and occupy the central defender of the three. I am expecting this to be an area that has been identified, worked on, and will mean we could see a change or two to the personnel in midfield. Finally, the job Dobson is going to have against the three of Azaz, Mayor, and Hardie to protect the defence will be a tough one. The trio work well together and their movement is something to watch out for. In this situation, a double pivot without the ball could be needed or asking Clare to tuck in knowing Mumba will also come onto his right foot could be enough.

Charlton Team News
News followed the game on Saturday that Stockley had been struggling with illness, but you would hope the striker will be feeling strong enough on Tuesday to start again. The captain needs to step up to the plate and will be eager to open his account for the season. That will take enormous pressure off of his shoulders, and quiet the calls for another forward for a few days at least.

As I mentioned in the Plymouth section, shape without the ball to combat their front 3 and runners from midfield to exploit the space is going to be important. I think we could see a couple of changes with McGrandles and Payne coming in for Morgan and Fraser, who both have done well thus far. Rak-Sakyi will be vying for his debut and the thought of him and Blackett-Taylor on the wings must be frightening for defenders at this level.

Elsewhere, you would anticipate Lavelle will come in for Inniss as it would be silly to risk the man mountain so early on in the season. Supporters won't like it, but it's better to manage him correctly (which Garner did with Williams so well last season) than risk losing him completely for any period of time. The rest of the team picks itself right now and until Aneke and Egbo are back fit, Clayden and Leaburn will also continue to be involved in the squad. That's no criticism to either as they've shown to do well, it's just the reality of football. It's also likely to be anyone's guess between Jaiyesimi and Kirk, and with the latter being linked with a move away and DJ's ability to play on either side and his impressive performance against QPR last midweek, I would favour him to edge it.

Subs: MacGillivray, Inniss, Clayden, Morgan, Fraser, Jaiyesimi, Leaburn

Prediction
It's very difficult this early into the season to make any real solid prediction. However, we must make home advantage count and pick up where we left off in the second half against Derby. I am expecting the team to be thinking the same, and putting down a marker at home against another decent team is just what we need. Our wide players to have a great time and Stockley to get off the mark.

Charlton Athletic 3-1 Plymouth Argyle
Stockley
Blackett-Taylor
Payne

Comments

• Options
    I would love that to be the team.
  • Options
    Redrobo said:
    Morgan for McGrandles
  • Options
    edited August 2022
    Going to be interesting to see if Inniss is rested to try and get him through the next few weeks. As you say I suspect he won't play midweek games.
  • Options
    wmcf123 said:
    Redrobo said:
    Morgan for McGrandles

Agreed.. McGrandles needs to be eased into the team after the start he's had for us.
  • Options
    And if Stockley still ill what then.
  • Options
    I imagine that Lavelle will definitely play and hopefully Blackett-Taylor has enough in the tank to start the game. Given his fine form so far, I'd definitely retain Albie in the middle alongside Dobbo, with Payne ahead of them in a more central position. If Corey and the Palace lad can menace the Plymouth rearguard and keep their wing backs pinned back, it should prevent them wresting a measure of control in midfield.

This should be an interesting game.
  • Options
    Great preview @Sage. I like that potential team and I really like McGrandles but I think Morgan will keep his place. Be interesting to see if Kirk is totally omitted from the squad.
  • Options
    Great preview Sage.

Still very early in the season but feels like this and Saturdays game, both against tough opposition who have had great starts to the season, are the sort of games a side who will get automatic promotion at the end of the season will win. 

As you say I hope we can really lay down a marker. 

• Options
    edited August 2022
    Much better mid week preview than that that did last week.........

What would I do?  I would play McGrandles in the u21s tomorrow for 60-70 minutes and put him back in the mix on Saturday.  Payne for Fraser, DJ for Kirk and JRS on the bench.

Its a shame these two home games aren't the other way round.

Oh and I think Inniss will play.
  • Options
    CBT does cover a lot of ground in games. I would guess a hammie if he starts on Tue. Just a gut feeling from last patterns last season.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I don't think JRS will start. He probably needs more time to integrate with the squad. Should be on the bench though. McGrandles hasn't done anything to merit a starting position so expect Albie instead. Would love to see Payne start but not sure he is fully match fit. May be more of an impact from the bench. Hoping Stockley is ok or we have a big problem. Can't see many goals in this, but think we will win 1 - 0. Stockley to get off the mark.
  • Options
    Kid free game, quiet looking forward to it
  • Options
    Would love a good win. I was getting used to the optimistic Soapy...

2-1 Addicks
  • Options
    Excellent preview sage.

As it is "The Year Of The Albie" I am willing to suggest assists and goals will come from AM on Tuesday night. Everyone else are merely chess pieces that will facilitate this end. 
  • Options
    A must win.
  • Options
    Like the look of that team. 
  • Options
    Hope Morgan has enough in the tank to start again. McGrandles looked good in 45 against Swansea but the league games since make me think he definitely needs to start the cup games to get his match sharpness up before we chuck him into a league game from the start 
  • Options
    Maybe Morgan for McGrandles, then I would be happy with that team.. Would like to see Payne and Fraser in the same team, but might be to much workload for Dobson then.. But I think would give us more creativity. 
  • Options
    I think our home record again Plymouth is pretty decent, I'll go for a 2-1 win. 
  • Options
    edited August 2022
    If we win we have had a good start to the season, if we draw average and if we lose it's a bad start..

I think Plymouth is a good test for us to see where our season is going.. I am feeling positive about our season, but we need to be beating Plymouth at home if we are going to have a good season
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Excellent preview.

Looking forward to some more impressive and fluid football from the Addicks who at last have a game plan.

It wont work every week but I remain confident it will come good sooner or later if we don't lose confidence. Just need some bite in the box.

Have this down as a score draw.

1-1 Riki Saki to equalise in the 94th minute on his debut.

Elation all round but another soiled beige shirt with dodgy zip from the gaffer risks undermining confidence in the camp. 

• Options
    Must win. That’s it.
  • Options
    2-0 win I think. Payne and Rak-Sakyi

Plymouth have started well but hoping Garner will drill it into them they we should have got a least a draw against massives so need to be more clinical tomorrow. 

Be a tough game and will need to keep Hardie quiet. Looking forward to it which makes a nice change!
  • Options
    edited August 2022
    I don't think JRS will start. He probably needs more time to integrate with the squad. Should be on the bench though. McGrandles hasn't done anything to merit a starting position so expect Albie instead. Would love to see Payne start but not sure he is fully match fit. May be more of an impact from the bench. Hoping Stockley is ok or we have a big problem. Can't see many goals in this, but think we will win 1 - 0. Stockley to get off the mark.
    Garner's already said he'll play on Tuesday, it's just a matter of whether he'll start or not.
    I think there's no harm in keeping some players back to be used as 60th minute subs if they need resting. CB-T for example might benefit from a breather, as might Fraser. Stockley may be ill again.
    The five subs rule can be a game changer, and we were victims of it on Saturday against Wednesday who have a stronger squad; but we could be beneficiaries against smaller clubs like Plymouth.
    I'd rate Payne higher than Fraser, and hope he can start more games if and when he's fit.
    Morgan has been a revelation for me this season. Hope he can keep it up.
    Really looking forward to seeing JRS's debut. Might have to be patient with him, we'll see.
    I'm expecting a close game, as Plymouth have started the season pretty well, but I think we'll win 2-1 (Payne, Rak Sakyi)

• Options
    I am getting to sound like a stuck vinyl record .. this game will say a lot about our current situation after a mixed,  indifferent start to the season .. we are playing well up to the edge of the opposition area than we lack finishing .. one more time WE NEED ANOTHER STRIKER and I'd like to see us play 2 up front
    The midfield is working OK, though Garner still has to find his best combination, defence is again OK and Wollacott is a big upgrade from last season

Plymouth have been good/improving for a few seasons without winning anything. Just like for us, this will be a big test for them.
    I wonder how many of the 'green army' will make the long trek east on a Tuesday evening

CAFC 2 v Plymouth Argyle 1
  • Options
    Was speaking to a Crystal Palace season ticket holder on Sunday, he was quite animated about Rak Sakyi, had seen him play. His words to the effect were that he would be excellent for us, was an exciting player to watch, would score plenty of goals.
    The whole conversation got me really looking forward to seeing him play, let’s hope he plays some part in this game.
  • Options
    3-1 to us, Stockley on the scoresheet alongside Payne and Rak-Sakyi
  • Options
    Feels like a big game to set a tone for the rest of the season; Plymouth are good and a very good standard for what we could reasonably achieve this season. Really need 4 points from the next two home games to establish ourselves in the top half, and I think we can do that. 3-1.
  • Options
    Rothko said:
    Kid free game, quiet looking forward to it
    Nah. School holidays so the seat-kickers will be out in force. Unless of course their parents can’t afford a ticket to accompany them at the new prices!
  • Options
    4 points out of these two home games and it will be an excellent start … 

agree with the team selected expect Aneke to be on the bench as well 

2-1 to us