Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Post-match Thread: Charlton Athletic v Plymouth Argyle | Tuesday 16th August 2022

Comments

• Options
    thenewbie said:
    Leuth said:
    Just a question.

Watching Plymouths goal, saw our defenders backing off and allowing him the space to move towards our box and ultimately score. This seems a familiar trait and not just with us.

Why do defenders do that, back off, rather than go to the marauding forward, fear of a mistimed challenge or what?
    Dobson being nutmegged put them all in trouble. Lavelle's best bet was to do what he did - force the 20-yard shot. It went in.
    Thanks but doesn't really answer the question. Allowing the player to come on to the box and giving the forward a better opportunity to score, why not tackle when further out?
    Because all the time you are between the forward and your own goal you have a chance to knick/block/intercept the ball, albeit a small one. If you try a tackle and miss (like Dobson did) then he's away and you can't tackle him without risking a card.
    Definitely. If a defender commits himself, he has got to win the ball.
    Otherwise he's left for dead, like Dobson last night.

Backing off slowly and not committing yourself is intended to slow the pace of the attacker with the ball, thereby to gain support and allow your other defenders to recover their positioning. Buying time basically.

• Options
    DOUCHER said:
    Brilliant performance - what a difference a manager makes - looking very promising - the composure and movement is so much better from everybody - the new fellas all look great, Morgan looks transformed and Clare has gone up several gears - a really good player - looking forward to Saturday. If you weren't down there last night, get there Saturday - this team and manager are well worth watching     
    Almost bound to get smashed now 
    Nailed on 
  • Options
    Billy_Mix said:
    An OK side, harshly reduced to 10 men, was put to the sword and we witnessed a goal of the season contender, all good fun at the time.
    But the silver lining of last night's outcome comes with its own big, dark cloud:
    Goals came from across the team - Skintgaard will use that as justification for no backup for Stockers - Miles Leaburn is great to watch but he's 18 FFS and has 5 appearances total i.e. not shoulders onto which the burden of being lone striker at least until January should sensibly be put
    Kirk's name appears in the stats as goal scorer and assist provider but his goal deflected in off a defender and nobody saw a goal coming from that pass to Clare, that worldy was all Sean's own work.  Last night was Kirk's best showing but that is the feintest of feint praise, there are to date no other performances worthy of the name
    Charles Clayden might be 21 but he has just 5 league appearances to date, is that realistically sufficient backup to Sessegnon as our only other leftback of any kind?
    Sean Clare was excellent last night but he's all we've got at right back.
    Jack Payne was a headless chicken and gave away the goal.  McGrandles has been awful so far.  O'Connell is the slowest CH I've seen play for Charlton. Fraser can't last 90 minutes. Chuks and Inniss are made of glass.

We're an injury and a suspension away from not having an adequate squad.    Saturday's decline against Wednesday is a way more likely template than last night's one off. 

The owner's illegally sacking valuable staff to penny pinch a few thousand in favour of stoopid free drink promos - he ain't gonna be coming up with the fees or salaries for adequate cover for the blatantly thin patches in this squad.  It hangs on wishes and lots of luck...
    Miserable clown. Feel sorry for your wife.

The goals have come in a flood, let's hope the drought stays well away
    Good win even against ten for much of the game, Plymouth are probably one of the better L1 teams
    Garner has got them playing for him, I can't see any new arrivals before the 'window' shuts once again

Great morale boost for players and fans, bring on the Cambs chapppies before two tricky away trips
    10 quid bet for the upbeats that we do sign someone before the window shuts?
  • Options
    WHAddick said:
    seth plum said:
    It might be worth inserting an ‘eyes on the prize’ post here.
    A glorious win like yesterday is still only worth the three points of a scrappy 1-0 (goal difference notwithstanding).
    So my target of winning every home game and drawing every away game has slipped, and we are one point short at the moment.
    That makes Cambridge a must win, and even following that with a draw at Wycombe still leaves us one point short of the target.
    Even winning against Cambridge and Wycombe only provides us with a one point cushion.
    Of course we shouldn’t be overconfident or cocky but Wycombe haven’t had a good start to the season. Seem very beatable at the moment so good time to play them surely?
    I hope so.
  • Options
    thenewbie said:

You can still see how we could be vulnerable to a defensive or attacking crisis if we don't address now. I don't want to rain on the parade but it is quite possible as it currently stands. Yesterday showed we look resilient enough in midfield. 
    True but surely that's true of every single team in the division with the squad cap in place. Wednesday look like having good strength in depth right now but a few badly timed injuries or suspensions and those bench players are first and only choice and suddenly it's not so rosy.

I totally get the point you are making but regardless of our owner and/or manager I don't think we'll see a truly, properly balanced squad in this league and not through any real fault of our own. Compromises and high hopes will have to be made.
    Sheff Wed had a few players injured out of the team that played us.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

Cider.
  • Options
    Billy_Mix said:
    An OK side, harshly reduced to 10 men, was put to the sword and we witnessed a goal of the season contender, all good fun at the time.
    But the silver lining of last night's outcome comes with its own big, dark cloud:
    Goals came from across the team - Skintgaard will use that as justification for no backup for Stockers - Miles Leaburn is great to watch but he's 18 FFS and has 5 appearances total i.e. not shoulders onto which the burden of being lone striker at least until January should sensibly be put
    Kirk's name appears in the stats as goal scorer and assist provider but his goal deflected in off a defender and nobody saw a goal coming from that pass to Clare, that worldy was all Sean's own work.  Last night was Kirk's best showing but that is the feintest of feint praise, there are to date no other performances worthy of the name
    Charles Clayden might be 21 but he has just 5 league appearances to date, is that realistically sufficient backup to Sessegnon as our only other leftback of any kind?
    Jack Payne was a headless chicken and gave away the goal.  McGrandles has been awful so far.  O'Connell is the slowest CH I've seen play for Charlton. Fraser can't last 90 minutes. Chuks and Inniss are made of glass.

We're an injury and a suspension away from not having an adequate squad.    Saturday's decline against Wednesday is a way more likely template than last night's one off. 

The owner's illegally sacking valuable staff to penny pinch a few thousand in favour of stoopid free drink promos - he ain't gonna be coming up with the fees or salaries for adequate cover for the blatantly thin patches in this squad.  It hangs on wishes and lots of luck...
    Miserable clown. Feel sorry for your wife.

The goals have come in a flood, let's hope the drought stays well away
    Good win even against ten for much of the game, Plymouth are probably one of the better L1 teams
    Garner has got them playing for him, I can't see any new arrivals before the 'window' shuts once again

Great morale boost for players and fans, bring on the Cambs chapppies before two tricky away trips
    10 quid bet for the upbeats that we do sign someone before the window shuts?
    you're on .. player, not admin, security man, turnstile operator, chef, KP or drummer for Sandy
  • Options
    stat fact .. unusual last night, a straight red card but no yellows for either side
  • Options
    Morgan finally unleashing his gerard potential
    rak saki sterling of the league
    leaburn looks like he could be absolutely class
    Clare at right back was class! 
    Kirk put a shift in. Hopefully goal will give confidence 
    Our left back bombing forward. 

First game ive seen in ages but all very exciting 
  • Options
    There's got to be a re-think surely on matchday prices?

As mentioned earlier in the thread, it would be typical Charlton to finally get it right on the field and sustain that form only to be cluster fucked by stupid decisions off of it.  
  • Options
    Leuth said:
    Just a question.

Watching Plymouths goal, saw our defenders backing off and allowing him the space to move towards our box and ultimately score. This seems a familiar trait and not just with us.

Why do defenders do that, back off, rather than go to the marauding forward, fear of a mistimed challenge or what?
    Dobson being nutmegged put them all in trouble. Lavelle's best bet was to do what he did - force the 20-yard shot. It went in.
    A misplaced pass by Payne, then Dobson diving in and missing. Maybe the centre backs could have done more, but ultimately it wasn't down to them.
    I really rate Dobson but that is an area he has to focus on. Not just diving in and missing but when he doesn't miss he has to win the ball. I'm being picky but he is such a good player that you can be.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Leuth said:
    Just a question.

A misplaced pass by Payne, then Dobson diving in and missing. Maybe the centre backs could have done more, but ultimately it wasn't down to them.
    I really rate Dobson but that is an area he has to focus on. Not just diving in and missing but when he doesn't miss he has to win the ball. I'm being picky but he is such a good player that you can be.
    Tbf 9/10 he does dive in he wins the ball. No different than pass success rate. In fact wasn’t he the highest tackler in the league last season by some distance?
  • Options
    Leuth said:
    Just a question.

Tbf 9/10 he does dive in he wins the ball. No different than pass success rate. In fact wasn’t he the highest tackler in the league last season by some distance?
    Yes because he makes lots of tackles. I am being picky but it is something I have noticed a few times.
  • Options
    Wasn't sure it was a red card at first but what is the defender doing with his arm up if not trying to stop the ball going in?

Poor lad has just seen someone he knows in the Charlton end and is waving to them.

Least thats what Wayne Hennessey would say
    He's obviously waving to his mum and dad in the Jimmy Seed...
  • Options
    edited August 2022
    Not sure if its already been posted but thoughts from Stephen Schumacher after the game

First thing he doesnt do is blame any of the performance on the red card.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZuFQlAf4g3U
  • Options
    Billy_Mix said:

I think I've just found the bugger who hacked my account.
    Post of the day?
  • Options
    Not sure if its already been posted but thoughts from Stephen Schumacher after the game

First thing he doesnt do is blame any of the performance on the red card.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZuFQlAf4g3U
    Proper Mickey Mouser that!  Fair play to him, he never mentioned The Sun or Thatcher.