Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Post-match Thread: Charlton Athletic v Plymouth Argyle | Tuesday 16th August 2022

Comments

• Options
    It might be worth inserting an ‘eyes on the prize’ post here.
    A glorious win like yesterday is still only worth the three points of a scrappy 1-0 (goal difference notwithstanding).
    So my target of winning every home game and drawing every away game has slipped, and we are one point short at the moment.
    That makes Cambridge a must win, and even following that with a draw at Wycombe still leaves us one point short of the target.
    Even winning against Cambridge and Wycombe only provides us with a one point cushion.
  • Options
    Badger said:
    From an Argyle forum

Subject: Re: Charlton Athletic 19:45 Plymouth Argyle   Charlton Athletic 1945 Plymouth Argyle - Page 2 EmptyYesterday at 9:57 pm

Graiser wrote:
    GreenSnake wrote:
    I might be over-reacting, but under Schumacher there have been some really shambolic performances (Cambridge, Wycombe and tonight away. MK Dons home are examples)

There have been really good ones as well, if we are going to be this depressingly inconsistent - Can we start asking questions about him?

Bit early for that, first goal is piss poor defending, 2nd goal poor clearance from Cooper, the penalty and sending off isn’t Schumacher’s fault it’s the players, bad night, put it to bed and move on

Very fair assessment of tonight, in all fairness Charlton were excellent and any team in this league would have struggled against them.

Very right in saying bad night and move on. Has to be forgotten and we're now on to Forest Green.
    Back to top Go down
    Go down

The grapes are very sour down in the west country. While a couple of their posters have praised us & said we were excellent I've also read that we were bang average, we're just a mid table team, we're going nowhere, we have a hoodoo over them, they were getting on top until the penalty & sending off & we only scored because they kept giving the ball away. Seriously it's like reading a sheff wednesday forum. Of course all the above may be true but when you've been hammered 5-1 probably best to say nothing Pilgrims.
    It was harsh from their fans after the first half, as until it went 2-0, it was a great advert for League One Football (albeit we could equally have been 3-0 up already) - But when your own fans are ironically singing: "We've had a shot" midway through the second half, it says a lot about the team they're supporting, and who they're facing.
  • Options
    I was impressed with Charles Claydon. 

He seemed confident, wanted the ball, was prepared to take on players and go on a run. This after just a handful of appearances at this level bodes well for the future.  Good luck to him! 
  • Options
    seth plum said:
    It might be worth inserting an ‘eyes on the prize’ post here.
    A glorious win like yesterday is still only worth the three points of a scrappy 1-0 (goal difference notwithstanding).
    So my target of winning every home game and drawing every away game has slipped, and we are one point short at the moment.
    That makes Cambridge a must win, and even following that with a draw at Wycombe still leaves us one point short of the target.
    Even winning against Cambridge and Wycombe only provides us with a one point cushion.
    We’ll win some away games though, so don’t panic!
  • Options
    One (minor) point for the inexperienced to learn in Clayden and Miles is to not foul the opposition player when you have them stuck in a corner or sticky situation. 

Usually excitement/composure/wanting to show are going for it, but just close and force a mistake. 
  • Options
    I always find it hard to work after a good Tuesday win. Can't stop checking CL!

• Options
    Bloody marvellous indeed.

Just wanted to add that we appear to be improving every fixture, which is very encouraging.

And all of the teams we have played to date have looked very decent and have tried to play proper football. Great advert for League 1.  Accrington were a bit physical but certainly not hoofball merchants and played some decent stuff too.

See you at the Valley on Saturday. Happy days.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited August 2022
    Quite a few people not understanding that an intentional hand ball to stop a goal is always a red card. As soon as the ref decided it was an intentional hand ball then he had to send him.

I was surprised how many people said it was harsh when its in the rules. Red card all day long when you palm the ball away with your hand when a ball is hit towards the goal and you stop it as last man.

A tackle when you genuinely go for a 50/50 ball in the box can be just a penalty and a yellow card which was changed from mandatory red if last player. Outside the box and last man then you are off.
  • Options
    Our best performance at The Valley since Ipswich last season. The whole team played very well with nobody having an off game. I thought the midfield three of Dobson, Morgan and Fraser were excellent and they totally ran the game. They were also key to the very attacking play we saw.

I admit that I am one of those claiming that Albie Morgan was never going to make it as a senior footballer at League 1 or above. Happy to chomp on humble pie and deep down, really pleased that Albie has proved me wrong! That was a fantastic performance. Best performance from midfield since (this is hard to say) Gilbey against Ipswich.

I hope Clare is okay. Not sure what his injury is. He is an absolutely key player and such an intelligent player. I think he could play anywhere across the back or midfield. 
    I disagree about Clare - he’s an excellent right back and should stay there .
  • Options
    Scoham said:
    Keep getting players in the box like this and we’ll continue to score goals across the team. This was an issue against Wednesday (heat didn’t help), it wasn’t last night.

Four in the box in three of the goals/penalty win, three for the other two which were more like counter attacks with the team starting deeper.

This is the big difference with the first 13 games last season and my fear for the 3 forwards this but the work on the training ground is starting to click. Not sure how many chances Kirk, CBT and Sakyi will need to score and if a team comes to defend and there are too many defenders back but at least we can see what we are trying to achieve. 

Amazing that the majority on CL say Stockley can't play with the ball with his feet but brilliant work by Jayden to win the ball from the defender and a precise dink across to Kirk and Jayden's penalty was Kanesque.

• Options
    edited August 2022
    The problem with the handball is if the penalty is missed and the player is not sent off, it is unfair. Probably the fairest way to deal with it would be to give the goal to Kirk and book the player but that is a step too far, giving a goal when the ball doesn't go in the goal and will never happen in football even though Rugby has penalty tries.

The Plymouth defender can have no complaints.
  • Options
    I want to relive that game, that simple and will buy a pass, whatever, to re-watch it when available on CTV. Not only were we in such control for most of the game what I really loved was that whenever we lost the ball, the players were super hungry to steal in back and did so about 50% of the time. When Morgan and Fraser are doing this effectively, Dobbo is a cert of course, you know you are onto a winning formula.

All of the players deserve praise for last night, but alongside JRS’ debut, I think Morgan played out of his skin and his tail is as up as Peacock’s feathers right now, while Kirk showed us what he is all about. The latter’s work rate I had not seen before and is impressive, his chance creation particularly with those crosses is excellent and he was very hungry for the ball, combining very well with the pacy and effective Clayden. 

I am on holiday from work this week so do not want to wish my days away, but really cannot wait for Saturday…
  • Options
    To be honest I watched both Saturdays game and last night and feel that the only difference was the goals.  I know that sounds rediculous,  but never in all my years have I come away from a defeat (at Hillsborough) feeling so positive. The way Garner has got them working is great. I did question where the goals were going to come from after Saturday as it felt that that was all that was missing. If last night is anything to go by,  then there may just be some fun to be had this season.  
  • Options
    At the time the sending off seemed a bit harsh, but getting home and watching it again on the television set it is the correct decision.
    Would the glow be the same for all of us if it’d been an 11v11 match throughout?
    I want to play like that against an 11 man Cambridge to dilute doubts about our direction.
  • Options

JoshAddick said:
    Think tonight will be this seasons version of Forest at home under the lights in our Championship season (except with all 3 points this time round). Everything just clicks and we look unplayable. 

:) 
  • Options
    First game of the season for me. After 15 mins I had completely forgotten about the awful start to 2022, and how bad everything was from January onwards. The confidence in passing the ball was something I hadn’t seen in a charlton side before.

Lavelle & Clayden both took their opportunities which is important with footballing being a squad game now. Pleased Leaburn got his first goal at The Valley. Sounds like he had a difficult time at Sheffield, so will be good for his confidence to get back on the score sheet.

Only negative was the size of the crowd. Here is hoping a couple more big wins and rethinking over ticket prices and we can get a couple more bums on seats.

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    One of those nights that make it all worthwhile.
    I am amazed at how quickly the players have bought into Garner's philosophy and how confident and willing they are to play out from the back.
    Some of our football was exquisite and for the first time in a long time I find myself impatiently looking forward to games.
    Thought the sending off was a pivotal moment as, although we were edging it it was clear Plymouth were no mugs.
    The other key moment being Clare's cracking third goal which probably killed their hopes of mounting a rearguard action and trying to pinch a result on the counter.
    Garnerball has perfectly equipped this side to exploit an opponent with one less player on the pitch.
    And these players did it with aplomb.
    How often in the past have we laboured in similar circumstances.
    Shame we muffed the clean sheet, although their goal did seem to re-energise us when it was threatening to go a little flat.
    If yesterday is a sign of things to come, then it is hugely encouraging that the goals were spread around the side. But let's not get cocky yet.
    Only 4 days ago we scored none against 11 man Sheffield Wednesday. NONE.
    We still need strengthening, especially given the news on Chuks.
    But, don't want to dwell on that.
    Right now I feel like I don't want to miss a single game.
    Let's smash Cambridge.

• Options
    Quite a few people not understanding that an intentional hand ball to stop a goal is always a red card. As soon as the ref decided it was an intentional hand ball then he had to send him.
    Yep, absolute intent to handball.

Some people have said the sending off was harsh. Watch the video of the handball in slow motion.
    Watch the Argyle CB Wilson (5) , the other CB preoccupied with the advancing Fraser, and the keeper. Watch also the totally unmarked Kirk step back in anticipation of Stockley's superb cross. The keeper misses the ball and falls to his knees, out of the game.

Wilson (5), looks behind him and fully aware of the position of the unmarked Kirk, leaps and first stretches his left hand high towards the ball but it passes over his head to Kirk. The officials would have seen that first attempt.

Kirk shoots, and Wilson (5) twists and raises his left arm high a 2nd time and bats the ball away with his hand - thereby preventing a certain goal.
    Intentional? You bet .... he's fully aware of his keeper on his knees and the unguarded net.

Red card definitely. He handled the ball to prevent a clear goalscoring opportunity. Without the handball Kirk would have scored into an open net.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u4221ut1RcM&t=2s&ab_channel=CharltonAthleticFootballClub

• Options
    wmcf123 said:
    Our best performance at The Valley since Ipswich last season. The whole team played very well with nobody having an off game. I thought the midfield three of Dobson, Morgan and Fraser were excellent and they totally ran the game. They were also key to the very attacking play we saw.

I admit that I am one of those claiming that Albie Morgan was never going to make it as a senior footballer at League 1 or above. Happy to chomp on humble pie and deep down, really pleased that Albie has proved me wrong! That was a fantastic performance. Best performance from midfield since (this is hard to say) Gilbey against Ipswich.

I hope Clare is okay. Not sure what his injury is. He is an absolutely key player and such an intelligent player. I think he could play anywhere across the back or midfield. 
    I disagree about Clare - he’s an excellent right back and should stay there .
    Not saying he should move from right back - where he is excellent - but that he would be equally capable elsewhere. I totally agree that he should stay at right back.
  • Options
    I want to relive that game, that simple and will buy a pass, whatever, to re-watch it when available on CTV. Not only were we in such control for most of the game what I really loved was that whenever we lost the ball, the players were super hungry to steal in back and did so about 50% of the time. When Morgan and Fraser are doing this effectively, Dobbo is a cert of course, you know you are onto a winning formula.

All of the players deserve praise for last night, but alongside JRS’ debut, I think Morgan played out of his skin and his tail is as up as Peacock’s feathers right now, while Kirk showed us what he is all about. The latter’s work rate I had not seen before and is impressive, his chance creation particularly with those crosses is excellent and he was very hungry for the ball, combining very well with the pacy and effective Clayden. 

I am on holiday from work this week so do not want to wish my days away, but really cannot wait for Saturday…

• Options
    Oh god. There goes the next 3 hours
  • Options
    just love the reaction from Kirk to Clare's goal, hands on head as if to say WTF?
  • Options
    Well done Mr Garner for recognising the home grown talent at the club and and making these young players a key part of your system.

Albie is starting to shine (at last) and Leaburn Jnr is fast developing into an extremely effective front man.

Now step forward Charles Clayden. Great debut charging forward and unlocking the enigma that is Charlie Kirk (and providing Garner with an alternative left side duo to Sessegnon and CBT).

Hope he continues to become a left winger made good as a left back for Charlton following in the speedy footsteps of Phil Warman and John Robinson.