Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Post-match Thread: Charlton Athletic v Plymouth Argyle | Tuesday 16th August 2022

Comments

• Options
    That first half by rak Sak reminded me of when palace twisted rhoys wiggins inside out and ruined him , was it zaha or bolasie or both 
  • Options
    aliwibble said:
    For those who say that Golfie is never happy, from the match thread, for posterity:

The promote buttons looks like it’s giving you the middle finger!

(I’m still buzzing from the performance to fall asleep annoyingly - going to pay for that when I have to take my 3 year old to soft play early in the morning)
  • Options
    Big Bob loves it!
  • Options
    How is Dobson getting within a mark of Morgan in the marks thread?  

Seen some mark them the same.  Dobson wasn't bad BTW.
  • Options
    edited August 2022
    Taken from there fans forum.

“we play one of the better teams in this division on their own ground and are shown where we are! Nowhwere.”

• Options
    aliwibble said:
    For those who say that Golfie is never happy, from the match thread, for posterity:

You might want to be careful with that IP address!
  • Options
    edited August 2022
    Cafc43v3r said:
    I would love to sit in on a Garner training session because to get league one players playing that type of football is a masterclass. 

So much confidence, movement, intelligence with the ball was a delight. 

Sean Clare looked an upper level Champ right back and that would have been laughable last season. No more out your feet and clip it down the line, actual thought behind where the next 2 passes will go let alone what’s in front of him. 

So many superb individual performances but when it comes together like that it’s tucking awesome.

Plymouth are no mugs and I don’t expect 46 performances like that but we have set a very high bar and I can’t wait to see where we go from here.

It's all in the head. 

Of course you do the repeating drills, probably no different to the ones Bowyer,  Adkins, Jackson etc layed out.  League 1 coaches don't teach players to pass, cross,  shoot etc.   If they can't do that they wouldn't be in a league 1 team in the first place.

Also against popular opinion they don't teach players new positions. They give role definitions and tactical instructions that change game to game. 

Ben Garner is one of the best coaches in the game.   I spoke to someone recently that said the only question mark is man managing under pressure because he hasn't proved that, as a coach he is top notch.  They heard that from a premier league player. 

I know that was a good win tonight but let's not get ahead of ourselves !
    After 1 dribble Rak Sakyi was too good for League 1 said one poster and Palace might recall him and play him in the Premier !
    Blimey OTT or what.

It was very pleasing to see the two wider forwards getting in the box when the ball came in from the opposite flank which hardly happened in the first 13 games last season.

It's great to see work on the training ground coming to fruition on match days but we will have a much better idea after 10 games when we will see if the ability to play with tempo can become 2nd nature. Also that Ben Garner is consistent with the way he rotates the squad and uses his subs.
    Good start by Ben Garner and Jaden Stockley is heading the ball so cleanly that he does need a shank off his head which will fool the keeper. Jayden was such a handful the way he played as the Central striker tonight and his movement and laying off has improved and the relationship between the players was good from first whistle to last other than the Plymouth Goal but George Dobson is in credit so we forgive him for that missed tackle.

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    I'm starting to enjoy football again.
  • Options
    Cafc43v3r said:
    mendonca said:
    Moving Morgan to RB was a hedge. Almost expecting him to do the Milner role through tenacity and ball playing skill.

Meant McGrandles and Payne could get mins, while Clare taken off as a precaution (I hope).
    Answering that and @Henry Irving we moved Morgan to right back because they had zero attacking threat on their left.   He became like a right sided quarter back.   The best passer in the team got the ball without anyone within 10 yards of him,  every time.  He didn't have to make a single tackle. 

Genius. 

It was one of those night for Morgan that he went from being Glen Hoddle in midfield to Trent Alexander-Arnold in the Right attacking wing back and he could've gone in goal and made some saves as he had the Midas touch tonight 
  • Options
    Love this. Seems someone working on this show is a fan. The scarf in the episode was a hint, but this seems to give it away completely. Butcher is an Addick!

Awesome. Helps that I love the show too and am aware of the Charlton background references in season 3. Assumed it was an incidental set designer but maybe it goes higher in the production chain.. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Absolutely brilliant..Garnerball, high tempo, energy, goals from everywhere. Sorry to see JJ's team let in five on the night we score five. As early as it is (and we are still only mid August!) I think the difficult TS managerial decision is looking more and more inspired with every passing week. 
    Albie Morgan will be player of the season for this division. Absolutely delighted with this brilliant new addicks team. COYR!!!
  • Options
    Badger said:
    From an Argyle forum

Subject: Re: Charlton Athletic 19:45 Plymouth Argyle   Charlton Athletic 1945 Plymouth Argyle - Page 2 EmptyYesterday at 9:57 pm

Graiser wrote:
    GreenSnake wrote:
    I might be over-reacting, but under Schumacher there have been some really shambolic performances (Cambridge, Wycombe and tonight away. MK Dons home are examples)

There have been really good ones as well, if we are going to be this depressingly inconsistent - Can we start asking questions about him?

Bit early for that, first goal is piss poor defending, 2nd goal poor clearance from Cooper, the penalty and sending off isn’t Schumacher’s fault it’s the players, bad night, put it to bed and move on

Very fair assessment of tonight, in all fairness Charlton were excellent and any team in this league would have struggled against them.

Very right in saying bad night and move on. Has to be forgotten and we're now on to Forest Green.
    Back to top Go down
    Go down

The grapes are very sour down in the west country. While a couple of their posters have praised us & said we were excellent I've also read that we were bang average, we're just a mid table team, we're going nowhere, we have a hoodoo over them, they were getting on top until the penalty & sending off & we only scored because they kept giving the ball away. Seriously it's like reading a sheff wednesday forum. Of course all the above may be true but when you've been hammered 5-1 probably best to say nothing Pilgrims.
  • Options
    se9addick said:
    A few observations before posting more later.....

First time Golfie Jnr has seen us score 5 in the flesh.

Must be a first win at home, with a crowd, under floodlights for years.

5 different goalscorers 

Adkins wanted 23 clean sheets.....and it got him the sack. Top 6 and only 1 clean sheet so far. Shows that scoring goals is more important. 

Clare's thunderbolt is up there with Page's for goal of the season against Plymouth.
    Last week?
    Sorry, I meant a league game. And in normal time, not a play off match. 
  • Options
    Cafc43v3r said:
    First next buster since Page v Plymouth.

Best performance since Plymouth at home last season?  Still the last time we won a game were neither Stockley nor Aneke played IIRC 

First 5 or more since Plymouth away?

Can we play you every week?
    Aaron Henry's shot a week ago put some strain on the netting.
  • Options
    se9addick said:
    A few observations before posting more later.....

First time Golfie Jnr has seen us score 5 in the flesh.

Must be a first win at home, with a crowd, under floodlights for years.

5 different goalscorers 

Adkins wanted 23 clean sheets.....and it got him the sack. Top 6 and only 1 clean sheet so far. Shows that scoring goals is more important. 

Clare's thunderbolt is up there with Page's for goal of the season against Plymouth.
    Last week?
    Sorry, I meant a league game. And in normal time, not a play off match. 
    Plymouth last year 👍
  • Options
    balham red said:
    Starting 11 had only 3 players - Rak-Sakyi, Wollacott and O' Connell, that weren't here last season...

Interesting point but football is now a 16 player game and the 11 players on the field in the last 25 minutes is as important as the starting 11; as Proven by a very successful England team recently.

Absolutely no headache for Ben Garner on starting 11.