Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Post-match Thread: Charlton Athletic v Plymouth Argyle | Tuesday 16th August 2022

Comments

• Options
    paulg1947 said:
    Many thanks for a good read, on a game where it all 'clicked' .I didnt see it, so i cant give much comment.But i note that Stockley had a good game, which is good. He doesn't seem to be an out and out goal poacher .Check Leaburn's goal, after he has distributed the ball he instictively moves to the center, into the danger zone. And the Palace boy, although not a striker, per se, after seeing some Palace footage, his instictive movements are very similar.and often scores Stockly doesn't do that-- Stockly, is what my old dad, used to call, Charlton legend ,Stuart Leary, a deep lying CF. I thought, yeah dad, he doesn't score any goals, But take S L out of the equasion, and the forward line fell flat .Yes we still need a striker. Simply for extra depth .No other particular reason
     I am fairly sure ( no time or know how ,how to verify) it was Argyle who i saw back in the 60s. 6--6 draw .Paul Mariner was around then ,But we only got a point .Not the emphatic 3 like last night (it would have been 2 points then)
      A final point ,and it will put a dampener on the, surely better times ahead,and last night emphatic win, that i feel is not just a 'flash in the pan'. Enjoy it while it lasts, coz knowing Charlton, the better players, will just keep the cash tills ringing. Until this culture changes, we will always be lower than Palarse and Mill wall ---C O Y A

You can find all match details in Colin Cameron's indispensable book Charlton Athletic Home and Away 1920-2004. The Museum may have a few copies still available.

The 6-6 was vs Middlesbrough in 1960. Brian Clough was unimpressed that he scored an away hattrick but he still didn't manage a win bonus.

CAFC/PAFC produced some hefty scores. (The Valley/Home Park)

59/60   5-2  6-4
    60/61   6-4  6-4  CAFC won on Boxing Day at The Valley but 2 days later lost away by the same amazing score
    62/63   6-3  6-1  played in a monsoon at The Valley
    64/65  3-2  5-1
    67/68  1-0  1-4  PAFC relegated
    and not forgetting the away 6-0 in recent years ....
  • Options
    Fantastic garner has installed so much confidence and believe what a debut for Clayden.
    it’s great to see the full backs bombing forward and not going backwards like when Adkins was in charge. 
    Really noticeable how the to wide forwards got into the box at far post Kirk could of had four. Glad his got his first finally. 

• Options
    edited August 2022
    Great performance. Turning point was the penalty but the ref had no choice under the letter of the law. Fantastic goal from Clare. Great debut from the Palace lad and he is direct which is important. Stockley invoved in nearly everything. Maybe because it was cooler but other players were supporting him and he looked excellent for it. Garner deserves a lot of credit and apart from the obvious, for how he has got Morgan playing when I and indeed a few others had written him off.
  • Options
    - Rak-Sak and Crack is laughably good for this league
    - Has anyone ever seen Kylian Mbappe and Miles Leaburn in the same room?
  • Options
    Just about everything clicked last night, but the wing play on both sides deserves a mention, both wingers and full backs linked up in a way that will put a shiver up most of the division, at points relentless - and demonstrates why there are goals for stockley in Garnerball - he just needs the radar back. 

Glad they gave JRS man of the match, but Albie  Morgan was mine. 
  • Options
    edited August 2022
    Great team and some inspired individual performances. Wont get carried away and declare it the dawn of a new era or that Stockley is pure Garnerball, the important thing though... We haven't exactly looked "bad" up till now, so knowing we can really turn it on and do that to teams that'll be around top 6 is a massive take away.

There were moments when still 11v11 where the had some good spells of possession and attempts at goal, their high press made our defence look uncomfortable at times and a little shaky.

All fell in to place and clicked.

Special mentions to:

JRS who does look like he could walk through every team in this league. Will be interesting to see how he copes with the more physical teams (probably laughing at them as he skips by)

Morgan I've called Mr 5 game. 2 average, 1 good, 1 really bad, 1 very good used to be his pattern, different player so far this season, much more consistent and with the quality we all thought he did/does have - system and style suiting the player (which TBF he's never really had)

Clayden excellent performance "out of position" 

As said, won't get carried away but, if our off days are performances and results like shef Weds (1-0 loss away from home to a promotion hopeful) and our on days ones like last night... We won't drop far out of the top 6 all season. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Dobson getting some undue praise in the ratings. He was mostly a passenger and committed himself too early for their goal. 

Not saying he had a bad game, but not a 7.
  • Options
    What are you goal from Sean Clare.
  • Options
    Wasn't there last night, but one thing that makes me feel positive about this season is that we don't seem to be reliant on Dobson now.

Last season he was basically the only player who played well every week, and while he's obviously still there and doing OK by all accounts, now we have other players who are stepping up and dominating games. So we've gone from being a mediocre team relying on one defensive midfielder to an exciting team with lots of players who can create chances and score goals.

We absolutely need to follow this up by beating Cambridge United now, otherwise we'll throw away a lot of the momentum. But I think there are plenty of reasons to be optimistic.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Werent they the muppets who sang " Charlton get battered everywhere they go" at there place? 
  • Options
    Dazzler21 said:
    Dobson getting some undue praise in the ratings. He was mostly a passenger and committed himself too early for their goal. 

Not saying he had a bad game, but not a 7.
    I thought he was superb first half and then quite sloppy in the 2nd half
  • Options
    I almost hesitate to say this after such a resounding win and generally all round good performance but if I was looking for a criticism it would be just how easily Whittaker skipped through our midfield and challenges. Yes he had some good fortune but in the end he got off an unopposed shot. Things like that happen but it was definitely the low point of yesterdays performance. Rak-Sakyi is going to be a big player for us. Huge talent. Might just have found a real gem in Miles. So pleased for him. I have everything crossed that yesterdays rumour about Wilkes has legs because I think we’re tantalisingly close to a real good season. 
  • Options
    Great team performance, Morgan superb 
    Rak Sakyi excellent debut, now who was that on here that was very vocal about him not getting picked and 
    could not compete at this level because he is up against real men, they must feel like a right plonker
  • Options
    seth plum said:
    Just back.
    Apart from the brilliance of everything, I think any criticism of Stockley tonight would be ridiculous.
    He had a great captain's game, took a lot of the heat off of others.
    Kudos Jayden.
    There seems to be an misconception that those who have had concerns about Stockley in this system would be less delighted when he does well.  If he continues to play brilliantly , we will be a serious side in this division .
  • Options
    Our best performance at The Valley since Ipswich last season. The whole team played very well with nobody having an off game. I thought the midfield three of Dobson, Morgan and Fraser were excellent and they totally ran the game. They were also key to the very attacking play we saw.

I admit that I am one of those claiming that Albie Morgan was never going to make it as a senior footballer at League 1 or above. Happy to chomp on humble pie and deep down, really pleased that Albie has proved me wrong! That was a fantastic performance. Best performance from midfield since (this is hard to say) Gilbey against Ipswich.

I hope Clare is okay. Not sure what his injury is. He is an absolutely key player and such an intelligent player. I think he could play anywhere across the back or midfield.