Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Match Thread: Charlton Athletic v Cambridge United | Saturday 20th August 2022

Comments

• Options
    Aaron Henry's time to shine?
  • Options
    Who is there to replace Dobson if McGrandles isn't on the bench
  • Options
    That looked offside
    Multiple replays showing Stockley was inside the six yard box and Fraser was on that line at the moment that mattered.
  • Options
    Very early to say, but need to win today as all the top sides are winning.
    Bolton are losing at home to Sheff Wed, so they cant all win
  • Options
    Dobson down with what looks like a twisted ankle, Henry waiting to come on if needed, Dobson back up and seems fine :)
  • Options
    Croydon said:
    Who is there to replace Dobson if McGrandles isn't on the bench
    Aaron Henry is the one on the bench today
  • Options
    Croydon said:
    Yessssas

I refuse to believe there isn't a better striking option available out there than Stockley
    But he scored a penalty. 
  • Options
    HT: Charlton 1-0 Cambridge
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    HT 1-0...good first half, but too safe at times,need a shake up in the dressing room, which i am sure will be done...
  • Options
    Dobbo with an important challenge taking the ball off the attacker's feet but walking gingerly off the pitch. 
  • Options
    Still not convinced re' Fraser
  • Options
    edited August 2022
    HT table

Ipswich 13pts
    Peterborough 12pts
    -
    Portsmouth 11pts
    Charlton 10pts +5
    Sheff Wed 10pts +2
    Plymouth 9th
    -
    Exeter 8pts +5
    Bolton 8pts +2
    Derby 8pts +1
  • Options
    Now Crossbeer 🍺🍺 time with Lisbie...didn't sound confident pre show..
  • Options
    edited August 2022
    Very patient first half there... Fans need to learn that we cant / wont play at a high tempo like what we did on Tuesday night every week me thinks - Looks hotter out on the pitch for starters, so the game is going to be slower.

Would say we've edged the first half, and perhaps deserve the lead so far, what with Cambridge's happiness to first and foremost inviting us to break them down more than anything - They have looked a nuisance going forward themselves, and think Bonner could be unhappy that they've not done better in front of goal so far.

Nice to see that Charlie Kirk got involved in another goal, with his initial ball to Stockley.

Fraser has outshone Morgan in Midfield today, with the latter looking a bit more inconsistent.
  • Options
    ....he ain't as good as, oh I don't know; Costa, Fish or Fortune
  • Options
    edited August 2022
    HT stats

Possession 73-27
    Shots 8-3
    On Target 4-0
    Corners 6-2

Shots inside the box 6-2

Total passes 313-121
    Passing accuracy percentage 89-72
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    HT table

Ipswich 13pts
    Peterborough 12pts
    -
    Portsmouth 11pts
    Charlton 10pts +5
    Sheff Wed 10pts +2
    Plymouth 9th
    -
    Exeter 8pts +5
    Bolton 8pts +2
    Derby 8pts +1
    I dont like that top six

The table shouldn't look that organised this early in the season, regardless of Exeter sitting there.

Already looks a season for the heavy hitters, rather than team to come out of no where... Proper cliché, but I think we could see a team missing out on the top six with a high number of points again, so need to avoid slip ups wherever possible.
  • Options
    edited August 2022
    So everyone who shone on Tuesday are stuttering so far. Except Fraser. He's looked tidy on the ball and Charles Clayden. 

Clayden is more playing left midfield with Kirk left wing - fine. However this means Morgan is constantly having to drop into left back, which means he's having to work very hard to support attacks and fill the LCM gap that's being created 
  • Options
    Croydon said:
    Yessssas

I refuse to believe there isn't a better striking option available out there than Stockley
    This.

So far he has shown that he is not very good in the air OR on the floor. Scuffed shots today & against Derby and headers in both games not good enough. 
  • Options
    Best player on the park - George Dobson by a country mile. So many super tackles and none better than the last kick of the first half. He really makes us tick. Otherwise , not the high octane football I was expecting but we look like we hardly got out of second gear. And yet, we're one nil up! Cambridge looked quite threatening on occasions.

Hope to see more evidence of this new Garnerball thing in the second half.
  • Options
    Patient I don’t mind but there needs to be an injection of pace at some point. Would like to see Stockley show feet a bit more, as when he did it led to the goal. Happy enough so far tho.
  • Options
    Dazzler21 said:
    So everyone who shone on Tuesday are stuttering so far. Except Fraser. He's looked tidy on the ball and Charles Clayden. 

Clayden is more playing left midfield with Kirk left wing - fine. However this means Morgan is constantly having to drop into left back. 
    Yeah its a very interesting partnership between Kirk and Clayden

Wonder if that's how Kirk played with Pickering at Crewe - Only worry is that it leaves Cambridge a bit of space to exploit, as shown when Tracey (?) got forward early doors.
  • Options
    I need help.

Urgently.

I've just found myself agreeing with one of Golfie's matchday posts ...
  • Options
    Fraser having a good game, it's good that we aren't reliant on one player 

Otherwise it's all a bit flat, against a well organised Cambridge. JRS had showed his inexperience at times with his decision making, while Stockley looks a bit flat footed. 
  • Options
    I need help.

Urgently.

I've just found myself agreeing with one of Golfie's matchday posts ...

• Options
    Gribbo said:
    Still not convinced re' Fraser
    Everyone seems to say this every game. He’s been everywhere, asked for the ball everywhere. linked up play well again, and has scored.

I really have no idea what more people need from him. 
    He's definitely looking better, and adding goals to his game is massive and what will keep him in the side. Just him getting into the box, let alone where he was for his goal, is a huge change from last season.

He's very good in tight spaces and very tidy on the ball. His movement off the ball has been very good, especially in the last couple of games. His pressing seems to have improved from his time at MK Dons.

My hang up with him is the same as with Albie: consistency. I feel like he drifts in and out of games. And the reason why I made a comment about him not going great earlier is because I felt like he had two or three touches in tight spaces where he tried to lay it off or play a 1-2 when it wasn't the best option. And when you're a player who relies on doing the little things really well, when they don't get well it's noticeable.

All that said, he really is starting to look like the player we hoped for when we signed him. And as Cawley said, he's looking more like the MK Dons player. And if we can get him playing well, he should fit very well into this side. Yes, he and Albie lack some steel, but if we can keep the ball for long stretches, and press high up the pitch when we don't, that should really help mitigate a lack of physicality. 
This discussion has been closed.

Roland Out Forever!