Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Post-match Thread: Charlton Athletic v Cambridge United | Saturday 20th August 2022

Comments

• Options
    mendonca said:
    Maybe look at a positive - we would have probably found a way to lose this game last season.
    Without a doubt. I don't think we would have scored last season, and then we would have conceded, chased the game, and not gotten an equalizer. We are definitely a much better side than last season. But the benchmark should be higher than just being better than last season. 
  • Options
    Pretty measured again, a bit too pedestrian at times for my liking. Draw a fair enough result, but very much self inflicted. Inniss CANNOT maraud forward in a game FULL STOP, Wimbledon last year another good example. Loses the ball, chases around like a headless chicken while leaving a gaping whole. Shit discipline and I hope Garner is telling him - pack it in and focus on the defending, at the which he is very good. 

Wycombe next in the league will be a good test, but we will need some recoveries this week, as the fitness room is starting to look a bit busy. 
    I hope Garner is telling him he'll be on the bench. 
  • Options
    Disappointing really as we had all the momentum going into the second half but just didn't play well enough after the break. Not sure why Lavelle was dropped but i thought Inniss had a bit of a mare.

Lost CBT to injury, which now makes 6 injured (CBT, Egbo, Aneke, Sess, DJ and McGrandles) and 2 supposedly leaving (JFC/Gilbey), so suddenly the squad is starting to look light.

Plus points though, we'd probably have lost that game last season so a point isn't a disaster and i think we'd all have taken 6th place after 5 games.
  • Options
    Shocking second half performance not helped by a poor ref...they were full value for a point but they were there for the taking. Too  much strutting around in the sun and not enough hard graft. too many second balls uncontested.  Onwards and upwards.
  • Options
    Have to say I enjoyed the atmosphere down the valley for most of game, and enjoyed Garner trying to cajole the covered end at the end. He seems like a bit of detached guy so nice to see him get wrapped up in the game a bit.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Frustrating game, fair result. It was always going to be a struggle against a team that was happy to keep their full backs deep off the ball and that’s how pretty much every team is going to set up at The Valley after Tuesday.

We really struggle when not able to get in behind, especially Rak Sakyi, and for the most part we just ended up playing it about in front of their back 4.

Not that fussed overall though. We once again stuck to our principles which in my opinion will get us results more often than not. Get a couple more signings in and I’m confident.
  • Options
    Dobbo just given MOTM Champers… Probs about right
  • Options
    LoOkOuT said:

I love Dobson, but today showed why Garner didn’t initially start him. He’s great at breaking up play, but lacks the ability / confidence to pass forwards. 
    ???
    Did you watch the game? Every move slowed down through Dobson today. 
    Good defensively, but as Pearce kept pointing out, he needs to play on the half turn more and he needs to play quicker. 

That said, his one-touch crossfield ball opened things up for the goal. It was a very mixed bag. We knew it would take a while for Dobbo to settle in this system. He's largely done well so far, but he still has things he needs to work on. 
  • Options
    It’s a disappointing draw, but we’re a few games in with new players and new manager, all a learning curve at this stage and last season we may not have picked up a point from game like today. 

Fancy Garner to have solutions on how to play against these type of sides for the remainder of the season (and yes, obviously we could sign a striker before anyone says it) 
  • Options
    If we are to move on both JFC and Gilbey - I think we'll need another decent CM. 
  • Options
    felix_31 said:
    If we are to move on both JFC and Gilbey - I think we'll need another decent CM. 
    Need another one like Morgan - Got Fraser and Payne replicated, same with Dobson and Henry

Albie wasnt an issue today, but need someone to spray passes around like he can
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    We will get promoted with Stockley as our main striker? Unconvinced 
  • Options
    A frustrating afternoon, but we have to expect teams to try and frustrate our passing game, which Cambridge did by making it hard for our defence to pass out. And they defended really well at the end, with some Jason Pearce style blocks.

I thought Fraser was our best player today, I can only assume he was subbed for "conditioning" reasons. Stockley was back to being half a yard off the pace, JRS showed his inexperience while Kirk flitted in and out of the game. 

Very odd referee today, for 20 minutes in the second half he gave us nothing!
  • Options
    edited August 2022
    Credit to Cambridge, they frustrated us. I think the ref was poor blowing for fouls when there were no fouls and letting fouls go wth no consistency whatsoever, which didn't help the game, but all in all a fair result.
  • Options
    Sounds like CBT was injured from a poor tackle.