Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Post-match Thread: Charlton Athletic v Cambridge United | Saturday 20th August 2022

Comments

• Options
    Rothko said:
    Word on the street is no striker being targeted. Crass.  Another season of league 3 shite to endure 
    Clueless, absolutely clueless. This can only be down to the owner.
    Why must it be?
    Have a day off. It’s obvious Sandgaard is cutting budget. Back him all means but don’t chat shit 
  • Options
    edited August 2022
    Having slept on it, I think we should give Cambridge credit. They clearly identified the threats and dealt with them. The Palace lad was tightly marshalled and didn't have the space to run into that he did on Tuesday. This was a game where Stockley did not dominate. You get those games and for me that was the difference. He battled and played ok but when he dominates it opens opponents up. And he does quite often to be fair.

The ref was awful and made it a bitty game and Cambridge were allowed to be a bit physical which you can't blame the ref for as some refs are more lenient than others in that respect. I don't think he was consistent but that was for both sides but it might have unsettled us more.

I actually thought Innis was ok. He nearly contributed to a goal which is what I think he gives you and what I want to see. Sadly, he lost a bit of discipline and could have been sent off. If I was Garner I would drop him for that seeing as we have Lavelle. He needs something to get it into him that he can't do that.

We do need a striker but we are not going to get one. It was a shame the Palace lad and CBT both went off through circumstances of the game and it looks like we will lose CBT for a while. I haven't seen it again but I don't think it was a foul on him, he just unluckily got caught.

A fair result and actually, if they had grabbed a late winner we couldn't have complained too much seeing as they were the away side.
  • Options
    First half we controlled possession and zipped the ball about but without really seeming very purposeful in creating chances. In the second half we seemed lacklustre, perhaps tired after the exertions against Plymouth on Tuesday, and never really threatened much. A disappointing draw on the day but we're still very much in the early days of Ben Garner's reign and it wont always click for us. But the overall trend in style and quality of play is on an upward curve and I'm happy with that. 
  • Options
    Frustrating game. We don't seem to have a plan to cope with these dirty northern bastard teams and/or refs who let them get away with it. And guess what, there's far more of these type of teams in L1 than footballing sides. 
    Fair play to Cambridge they came for a draw, they got a draw, had they showed more ambition they could have won when we switched off in the 2nd half. We  looked tired and ineffective. 
  • Options
    The ref was awful; once Cambridge worked out just how much they could get away with in the second half, they went to town. No wonder BG was frustrated! In terms of our players: too many sub-par performances and Albie returned to last season’s form. Almost every free kick and corner was wasted. Inniss is not suited to our new style of play. It was a shame Fraser was subbed; I thought he was our best player. Pleased to read the realistic/positive tone on here as I’m sure we have the right manager and I hope we can get the last couple of signings over the line, in which case top six is definitely on.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    felix_31 said:
    If we are to move on both JFC and Gilbey - I think we'll need another decent CM. 
    I've always liked Camara (Plymouth), attacking midfielder, lanky his stride eats up ground, I think he's in dispute with club over a new contract as he won't sign and not being played
  • Options
    First result I’ve called wrong this season but I thought we’d limp to a win but in reality a draw was fair 
    everyone moaning re the ref , as one poster previously pointed out , is conveniently ignoring when Inniss, off the ball, took out one of their players and could easily have been sent off but the refs are always against us . 
    we’re still 5th  6th and with injuries mounting unlike expected new signings the autos are gonna be too far for us this season and the play offs at best . 
    Still we’ve lowered the bar so low we can be pleased that this season is better than last season because we got a point at home to Cambridge and the same game last year we wouldn’t have won . even though I think we did the double over them last season 🙄 that’s Charlton logic for you .

2%    Automatics 
    36%   Play offs 
    61%    7th-12th 
    1%      13th-20th
    0%     Relegation 

Think people were referring to the 'type' of game rather than the exact opposition. Our aim has to be play offs. Require bit more investment for top 2 and the squad cap conflicts with our uncapped injury cap!
  • Options
    rananegra said:
    Frustrating game. We don't seem to have a plan to cope with these dirty northern bastard teams and/or refs who let them get away with it. And guess what, there's far more of these type of teams in L1 than footballing sides. 
    Fair play to Cambridge they came for a draw, they got a draw, had they showed more ambition they could have won when we switched off in the 2nd half. We  looked tired and ineffective. 
    Cambridge are a 'northern' side?
    I think he meant figuratively on style rather than geographically.  
  • Options
    edited August 2022
    rananegra said:
    What side of The River are they from? 

But yeah, they are more like Accrington than Peterborough
  • Options
    Still a decent, energetic box to box midfielder and of course a pacy, goalscorer light for me. 
    Wycombe away will be a good pointer to the season ahead. 
  • Options
    For me, there were two key things why the game plan didn’t quite come off yesterday. The first was the weather. Cooler than the recent highs but football and warm days don’t really mix and you lose that extra clinical edge that comes on a cooler day, or cooler evening such as last Tuesday against Plymouth. For a high intensive gameplan that’s not helpful. The good thing from that is most of the season will be played on cooler days. The other key issue yesterday was Innis. Not his fault but I thought he was having a good solid game for most part yesterday but the drawback with that is he very quickly became our main lynchpin and our gameplan started and revolved around him, which in turn brought the play to our back line too often, not the opposition’s. As every charlton fan knows from experience, if your gameplan is to constantly invite the opposition to attack, eventually they will score. 
  • Options
    edited August 2022
    Well the injuries didn't take long to kick in this season with Aneke, Sessegnon, McGrandles, CBT and Egbo. Walsall away will be interesting.
    The *66% possession stat again proves it's the most over rated stat going but our Midfield is good this season and is the main reason we are sixth and not 22nd. Fraser is looking like the Milton Keynes player who was good at the Valley and Morgan did over hit some set pieces yesterday but was still trying to create openings until the final whistle.
    George Dobson is a 100% midfield battler and Kirk had a good 1st half. McGrandles came with an injury in the last match of last season and has now fractured his hand after his efforts on Tuesday night !

* Paradox because it's good to see a Cafc team have ball retention but Man United had similar possession stats in the 4-0 defeat to Brentford ! 
  • Options
    Well the injuries didn't take long to kick in this season with Aneke, Sessegnon, McGrandles, CBT and Egbo. Walsall away will be interesting.
    The *66% possession stat again proves it's the most over rated stat going but our Midfield is good this season and is the main reason we are sixth and not 22nd. Fraser is looking like the Milton Keynes player who was good at the Valley and Morgan did over hit some set pieces yesterday but was still trying to create openings until the final whistle.
    George Dobson is a 100% midfield battler and Kirk had a good 1st half. McGrandles came with an injury in the last match of last season and has now fractured his hand after his efforts on Tuesday night !

* Paradox because it's good to see a Cafc team have ball retention but Man United had similar possession stats in the 4-0 defeat to Brentford ! 
    How much of that possession was our back line passing it back and forward to Innis ?
  • Options
    rananegra said:
    To the Plymouth fans on Tuesday, we were a northern side  ;)
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

How much of that possession was our back line passing it back and forward to Innis ?
    An awful lot of the possession was in our own half and neither centre half looked particularly comfortable. 
  • Options

Quiet often, as it will be under this coaching side, though we are not afraid to play it long when it warrants it. Listen to what Bonner says in his post match interview, passing it like and remaining patient like that is all part of our game plan to look to create space and make it difficult for teams to remain in their shape. 

We passed the ball across the back line loads under JJ as well, but were less patient with it, and ultimately it just led to Famewo chipping the ball diagonally out of play.

Now we are moving much more intelligently off the ball and players are constantly swapping and picking up unorthodox positions.

The only criticism I can have with yesterday is that we just moved it a little to slow, which was a combination of Cambridge making it difficult and having a few players off the boil. Every team in this league will be coached well and will be able to set up similar to how Cambridge did yesterday, and we need to find a way to be a little more snappy and one touch with our passing.

I thought Dobson did lots and lots of good work,  and this is not a criticism of him, but yesterday you can see why Garner was experimenting with other players who may be a little quicker when moving and transitioning with the ball. 
  • Options

Quiet often, as it will be under this coaching side, though we are not afraid to play it long when it warrants it. Listen to what Bonner says in his post match interview, passing it like and remaining patient like that is all part of our game plan to look to create space and make it difficult for teams to remain in their shape. 

We passed the ball across the back line loads under JJ as well, but were less patient with it, and ultimately it just led to Famewo chipping the ball diagonally out of play.

Now we are moving much more intelligently off the ball and players are constantly swapping and picking up unorthodox positions.

The only criticism I can have with yesterday is that we just moved it a little to slow, which was a combination of Cambridge making it difficult and having a few players off the boil. Every team in this league will be coached well and will be able to set up similar to how Cambridge did yesterday, and we need to find a way to be a little more snappy and one touch with our passing.

I thought Dobson did lots and lots of good work,  and this is not a criticism of him, but yesterday you can see why Garner was experimenting with other players who may be a little quicker when moving and transitioning with the ball. 
    You see, this is where I thought we got it wrong yesterday ... lots of possession at the back, but very little movement in front of that.

If you have the ball as a defender, you want a target to hit.  Neither Stockley or Rak-Sakyi were making themselves easily available and, more importantly, Dobson was not finding free space in the centre of midfield.  If this system is to work, you need fluidity and interchange up front and a string-puller in midfield.  It's why I would have brought on Payne at the start of the second half.

The one move that did work quite well was the ball from right back (Clare) to left wing (usually Clayden).  We also found Rak-Sakyi a couple times as Stockley went left and the ball went right.  It's clearly pre-planned, but we didn't do enough of it.

Finally ... Rak-Sakyi ... no right foot, and he has some talent for sure.  But he needs clarity of role.  He's young and he is making it up as he goes along.  Someone needs to sit down with him and tell him what wing play is all about.  He needs to understand what he is trying to do.

I also query this 'modern' trend of playing wingers on the wrong side.  Rak-Sakyi and Kirk should have been swapped.  Stockley must dream of balls cut back from the byeline.
  • Options
    Stats never fully tell the whole storey.

Garner has undoubtedly brought a more, at times, 'watchable' style of football, but he must know, as we all do, that in the lower leagues in particular you need to be able to grind out results sometimes. His Swindon stats were very impressive last season, except the one that mattered most, the league table. They also had one of the best strikers in the division (think 3rd in the goal scoring tables) which we are unlikely to be in the top 10 this year on it would seem.

If we go back to our promotion from this league as Champions we didn't always, or even predominantly win pretty. Sometimes you have to have the players who can take a game by the scruff of the neck and at times win whether dirty or pretty. We don't have any players I can see like that right now. I'm not even sure in each or any position we are better than the Bowyer promotion team. And squad depth is an issue.

OhHaa's % for me are pretty close as to where we are (In that, in all probability we'll end 7-12th), but injuries may worsen them as we have a relatively small squad and I could see us slipping into the 13-15th, I also think the level of some of the teams has improved over last year making top two almost impossible and 3-6th a real ask, my thoughts in brackets()

2% (<1%)   Automatics 
    36% (30%)   Play offs 
    61% (56%)    7th-12th 
    1% (12%)      13th-20th
    0% (<1%)     Relegation 
  • Options
    Dave Rudd said:

You see, this is where I thought we got it wrong yesterday ... lots of possession at the back, but very little movement in front of that.

If you have the ball as a defender, you want a target to hit.  Neither Stockley or Rak-Sakyi were making themselves easily available and, more importantly, Dobson was not finding free space in the centre of midfield.  If this system is to work, you need fluidity and interchange up front and a string-puller in midfield.  It's why I would have brought on Payne at the start of the second half.

The one move that did work quite well was the ball from right back (Clare) to left wing (usually Clayden).  We also found Rak-Sakyi a couple times as Stockley went left and the ball went right.  It's clearly pre-planned, but we didn't do enough of it.

Finally ... Rak-Sakyi ... no right foot, and he has some talent for sure.  But he needs clarity of role.  He's young and he is making it up as he goes along.  Someone needs to sit down with him and tell him what wing play is all about.  He needs to understand what he is trying to do.

I also query this 'modern' trend of playing wingers on the wrong side.  Rak-Sakyi and Kirk should have been swapped.  Stockley must dream of balls cut back from the byeline.
    Listen to the Bonner interview, and how he talks about our movement, and the positions we set up in and how it effected Cambridge’s shape and press.

We had lots of fluidity and interchange up front. Look at what Fraser was doing, and look at how Kirk would often come in really narrow and play close to Stockley and Clayden would almost be left wing. We set up in lots of different ways on the ball, and it’s really interesting to watch as the game progresses.

Just because it didn’t come off in the end does not mean it was not there. You have to give credit to opposition teams sometimes as well.
  • Options
    Rob7Lee said:
    Stats never fully tell the whole storey.

Garner has undoubtedly brought a more, at times, 'watchable' style of football, but he must know, as we all do, that in the lower leagues in particular you need to be able to grind out results sometimes. His Swindon stats were very impressive last season, except the one that mattered most, the league table. They also had one of the best strikers in the division (think 3rd in the goal scoring tables) which we are unlikely to be in the top 10 this year on it would seem.

If we go back to our promotion from this league as Champions we didn't always, or even predominantly win pretty. Sometimes you have to have the players who can take a game by the scruff of the neck and at times win whether dirty or pretty. We don't have any players I can see like that right now. I'm not even sure in each or any position we are better than the Bowyer promotion team. And squad depth is an issue.

OhHaa's % for me are pretty close as to where we are (In that, in all probability we'll end 7-12th), but injuries may worsen them as we have a relatively small squad and I could see us slipping into the 13-15th, I also think the level of some of the teams has improved over last year making top two almost impossible and 3-6th a real ask, my thoughts in brackets()

2% (<1%)   Automatics 
    36% (30%)   Play offs 
    61% (56%)    7th-12th 
    1% (12%)      13th-20th
    0% (<1%)     Relegation 
    That season as champions I thought we had something extra, and that was belief. Believe you will win and you play like it and the opposition also then tends you believe you will win as well. The biggest complement yesterday was the decision to make us kick the wrong way and attack the covered end first half and the JS the second half. Clearly their manager had belief in charlton winning, or more specifically the extra impact of the covered end fans, if he needed to give up the benefit of attacking his own fans end in the second half. I think this team believes in what it’s doing and that it will win, it just needs to get a few more goals to do it.
  • Options
    Teams know how Garner likes to play, and will be studying both the Cambridge and Plymouth matches to see how to counter us (and how not to counter us!).

I agree with others that we desperately needed a pacier striker up top. With a quicker striker, the opposition defence would have to drop deeper to counter this, creating more space in the middle for our passing game.
  • Options
    Dave Rudd said:

Listen to the Bonner interview, and how he talks about our movement, and the positions we set up in and how it effected Cambridge’s shape and press.

We had lots of fluidity and interchange up front. Look at what Fraser was doing, and look at how Kirk would often come in really narrow and play close to Stockley and Clayden would almost be left wing. We set up in lots of different ways on the ball, and it’s really interesting to watch as the game progresses.

Just because it didn’t come off in the end does not mean it was not there. You have to give credit to opposition teams sometimes as well.

Done that.  Who is Bonner by the way?  Am I missing something?

Garner (for it is he) talks about doing things better, making better decisions etc.  Please reference the above.

And, yes, credit to Cambridge.  But a post-match explanation as to why we didn't play well is no substitute for dealing with the problem during the game.  
  • Options
    Dave Rudd said:
    Dave Rudd said:

Done that.  Who is Bonner by the way?  Am I missing something?

Garner (for it is he) talks about doing things better, making better decisions etc.  Please reference the above.

And, yes, credit to Cambridge.  But a post-match explanation as to why we didn't play well is no substitute for dealing with the problem during the game.  
    The Cambridge manager mate.