Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Post-match Thread: Charlton Athletic v Cambridge United | Saturday 20th August 2022

Comments

• Options
    Just got back home, 12 1/2 hr round journey, traffic was shite both ways! I thought we started the first half well, but then lost our way a bit, glad we got the goal when we did, a great cross from Kirk set it up.
    Second half we just looked pedestrian and with the ref being absolutely awful their goal was always coming. This is still work in progress, but there are signs here that we could have a good season, we need a couple of additions though.
    I'm convinced that last season we would've gone on to lose this game....we didn't and that speaks volumes, Garnerball is looking good, not great yet, but good.
  • Options
    Looked very ordinary today. We lack a couple of quality players that can turn a draw into a win.
  • Options
    Our high tempo, lots of movement style, is going to be hard to maintain in sweltering sunshine, as it was in the first half. 
    We started to fade after 20 minutes and then ran out of ideas and instead reverted to long balls. There wasn't the movement required, and Cambridge had done their homework, firstly on making us kick the wrong way, then cutting off our outlets and frustrating us.
    Lavelle was superb on Tuesday and we missed him today. But good to see the blossoming partnership between Claydon and Kirk. Fraser was also much improved with one moment of supreme skill.
    I suspect our style will be better suited to winter or night games.
  • Options
    Pretty good observation. Well they defended well against one winger by injuring him.
  • Options
    As Brucie liked to say, let's look at the old scoreboard.

Stockley & Aneke   1
    Bishop & Pigott      5     

League games only. 

Not really fair on our pair as only 1 has been taking part so far this season. But then that's the point. 

The ways its going the Pompey pair could retire at xmas.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited August 2022
    Mark Bonner's comments after the game - Very interesting comments from 4:30 mark where he talks about how we setup. 

https://youtu.be/-DGOeVJyiOQ
    Great interview. Clear & concise and very complementary about us. Think Cambridge will finish top half thus season, maybe even top 10.

Overall a good game but I think Tuesday tired them out & a few weren't at the top of their game. Hopefully some will get a rest on Tuesday and they will be 100% for Wycombe. 
    Yes indeed. Bonner is another quality young coach down at our level. It’s a very very tough division, and it’s only going to get tougher.

It was the first time I’ve seen us at the Valley this year so had a chance to see our movement off the ball more so than you can on stream and as Bonner says it was fascinating. The way Kirk and Clayden positioned themselves in particular was so interesting to see. 

But that was just one aspect of what we were trying to do. Which made it a bit frustrating for me when the people sitting behind me kept constantly shouting out every 5 seconds about how our players ‘didn’t have a clue’ - when it’s the most ‘intelligent’ I’ve seen as play perhaps ever.

Annoying we couldn’t get the win though, as now I feel Wycombe is a ‘must win’, and it’s not going to be easy to do that. 
  • Options
    My main gripe, and has been for some time, is the number of times our players dont whip in a cross on the run. Morgan especially towards the end of the game (and is shown on the highlights) getting the ball on the edge of their area & instead of pinging in a first time cross with his left, he stops, cuts inside and puts a cross in with his right. This slows everything down & gives their defenders time to face up & easier to head the ball clear. Probably happens because he hasnt got a left foot, but then that's the problem. 
  • Options
    Bonner is a very intelligent and eloquent guy, who clearly thinks very deeply about the game. A young manager who is on the way up.
  • Options
    Ground looking empty as I can remember....

https://youtu.be/rn5wkgTKaAg
  • Options
    PWR.

Garnerball is just a step up from what Bowyer & Jacko were playing. Dont get me wrong I like it but......

We are still shit at corners 
    We still dont shoot enough 
    We still dont have enough forward players who are confident in front of goal

Decent game but we dont take advantage when on top. Now, was Plymouth the norm or was today.....?? I guess something between the 2 but we cant throw too many points away when leading at home. 

⬆️ Space
  • Options
    mendonca said:

Upper North is scarily sparse
  • Options
    My main gripe, and has been for some time, is the number of times our players dont whip in a cross on the run. Morgan especially towards the end of the game (and is shown on the highlights) getting the ball on the edge of their area & instead of pinging in a first time cross with his left, he stops, cuts inside and puts a cross in with his right. This slows everything down & gives their defenders time to face up & easier to head the ball clear. Probably happens because he hasnt got a left foot, but then that's the problem. 
    Absolutely. So infuriating. Happens too many times. 
  • Options
    As exciting as Tuesday was, this had a draw written all over it as I said in the pre match thread. 
    Pretty boring and pedestrian with some really under par performances reminiscent of last season. As convincing as Tuesday was this was the total opposite. 

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    Croydon said:
    mendonca said:

I thought so too. I'm putting it down to people on holiday & the train strikes. 
  • Options
    edited August 2022
    JamesSeed said:
    PWR.

Garnerball is just a step up from what Bowyer & Jacko were playing. Dont get me wrong I like it but......

We are still shit at corners 
    We still dont shoot enough 
    We still dont have enough forward players who are confident in front of goal

Decent game but we dont take advantage when on top. Now, was Plymouth the norm or was today.....?? I guess something between the 2 but we cant throw too many points away when leading at home. 

⬆️ Space
    Its called paragraphs. 
  • Options
    Croydon said:
    mendonca said:

And the cost, I’m afraid. Noticed at the Derby match that the block behind me was emptier than I’ve ever seen which suggested few season ticket sales there. At £29 rising to £32 it will be a struggle for match day sales. 
  • Options
    ct_addick said:
    Mark Bonner's comments after the game - Very interesting comments from 4:30 mark where he talks about how we setup. 

https://youtu.be/-DGOeVJyiOQ
    Very good interview….very eloquent and intelligent speaker. A young coach with a bright future. Thought Cambridge played some nice stuff at times and mixed it up physically at times. Deserved the draw TBH.
    Agreed. Hearing Bonner, you immediately think that you're dealing with a coach who knows what he's doing, and is getting the best out of his players
  • Options
    Croydon said:
    mendonca said:

And the mother-in-law’s 90th. 
  • Options
    edited August 2022

OK I may be overreacting somewhat. 
    But it drives me crayyyyzzzzyyyy. 
    It’s been a long day. 
  • Options
    TEL said:
    As exciting as Tuesday was, this had a draw written all over it as I said in the pre match thread. 
    Pretty boring and pedestrian with some really under par performances reminiscent of last season. As convincing as Tuesday was this was the total opposite. 

Space.
  • Options
    TEL said:

Space.
    Good spot 👍