Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Post-match Thread: Charlton Athletic v Cambridge United | Saturday 20th August 2022

Comments

• Options
    Never thought that we'd storm the league this season, but still disappointed by the performance today.  Cambridge deserved their draw, despite the 66% possession we had. 
  • Options
    Waiting for this to happen at Chez Sanguard...

That’ll be him putting the prices up? 
    Or introducing a half time game of pin the tail on the donkey using ex-players trying to win 14-chips for a random fan who attends every game for the next two seasons
  • Options
    Another thing about the ref. I bet if the Cambridge player didn't kick out, he wouldn't have booked Clayden for basically being a bit too tenacious. A foul yes, but a booking? 
    Absolutely 100% agree. He wasn’t going to book Clayden, but when the Cambridge player kicked out he has to book him and then felt the need to book Clayden for some bizarre reason. The first of many poor decisions in the second half. 
  • Options
    My takeaways from today 

Ref was shocking - I can’t understand how the Cambridge 18 got away with a yellow kung  fu kick off the the ball and Claydon got booked.  
    15 also deserved to go after being booked he went in two feet off the ground and got the man not the ball. 

Cambridge did their homework pressed hard , were very physical in their challenges and double teamed JRS. 

Morgan’s worse game of the season - when it gets a bit rough think he goes missing. 

Looked comfortable first half really needed to take our chances and be two or three up. 

Good to see Fraser on the scoresheet again 

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited August 2022
    These chances that stockly had, were they guilt edge?
    The one in the first half when he was put through was poor. Had plenty of time to look up and pick a spot and snatched at it to send it feebly well wide.
  • Options
    Very frustrating watching that performance, and to quote the age old adage, a game of two halves, we were in control first 45, but playing in 3rd gear, with almost it could be said an arrogance about us, good pressing, tight defence but far too slow in any build up play, Cambridge created very little and didn't look like scoring, but we failed to make the dominance pay and only went in 1-0.
    Second half was like watching another team, it was obvious that they would have to come at us more, but our confidence and discipline just crumbled, ref could have had a better game, but that was not the be all and end all, we were chasing shadows and the inevitable happened, we conceded the equaliser, as the half wore on we started to get some more control, but it was too late, the damage had been done.
    So 8 points from 15, and still in the top 6, not the end of the world, and last year we would have lost today, so take the positives and improve on the negatives and we go again...
  • Options
    We're 6th after 5 games. Once again, comparing to last season, a huge difference. Just worried with the injuries and slightly limited sounding investment. 
  • Options
    All those criticising the ref for decisions against us seem to have forgotten Inniss should probably have got a red card for an off the ball elbow.  

The ref wasn't biased, he was just shite
    I was criticising the ref generally.
  • Options
    Draw a fair result, didn't do enough to win. 
  • Options
    PWR.

Garnerball is just a step up from what Bowyer & Jacko were playing. Dont get me wrong I like it but......

We are still shit at corners 
    We still dont shoot enough 
    We still dont have enough forward players who are confident in front of goal

Decent game but we dont take advantage when on top. Now, was Plymouth the norm or was today.....?? I guess something between the 2 but we cant throw too many points away when leading at home. 

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    Stockley is a striker that shoots like a defender.

Like Sean Clare ?
  • Options
    Stockley is a striker that shoots like a defender.

Like Sean Clare ?
    He wishes
  • Options
    Interesting - Innis has constant references as both our best and worst defender today in the player ratings. 
  • Options
    I thought we looked like a good side not quite on their game today. Dobson definitely MOM - no question. What struck me most was how poor Stockley played. Apart from his hand in the goal and his thumping volley that missed to the right in the second half, he seemed well out of sorts. Leaburn looked a far better prospect to start in the front three. I thought Clayden did well today, but what happened to Sessegnon?

Cambridge looked an okay side, and the draw was a fair result, albeit a rather disappointing one from our point of view.
  • Options
    mendonca said:
    Sounds like CBT was injured from a poor tackle.
    Yes and garner kept on chuntering at the lino about it so got booked
  • Options
    We were okay first half and poor for most of the second. A lot of our possession is in our own half and we play too many hospital balls - our central defenders don't look comfortable playing out from the back. 

Clear what Garner expects of the players but not sure if they are all able to deliver.

Cambridge deserved a point.
  • Options
    1StevieG said:
    These chances that stockly had, were they guilt edge?
    The one in the first half when he was put through was poor. Had plenty of time to look up and pick a spot and snatched at it to send it feebly well wide.
    And the one second half from CBT's cross he should at least have got on target 
  • Options
    Still early stages. 
    We look tired today and didn't play with enough energy second half. Cambridge got themselves back into the game. 

Big difference from last season is Cambridge would have probably gone on and won, but we was pressing for a winner in injury time.

I think 6th could be possible. But we need to bring in 3 players for that to happen.

Not a bad start and big test next weekend against Wycombe after they battered Barnsley 3-0
  • Options
    PWR.

Garnerball is just a step up from what Bowyer & Jacko were playing. Dont get me wrong I like it but......

We are still shit at corners 
    We still dont shoot enough 
    We still dont have enough forward players who are confident in front of goal

Decent game but we dont take advantage when on top. Now, was Plymouth the norm or was today.....?? I guess something between the 2 but we cant throw too many points away when leading at home. 

We were 5th in the ‘amount of shots’ table before todays game, and I’m sure the 15 we had today won’t see us going any lower.

Indeed only Portsmouth had more shots then us out of the top 6 today. I don’t think that’s our issue. To be honest I really don’t really think we have an issue, and have had a strong start, but people will sure as hell try and find one. 

Let’s see where we are are after the next 5 game block, and we start playing teams outside the top half of the table. 
  • Options
    Maybe I just watched a different game, thought Dobson was wasteful in possession, and chasing shadows in the second half. He was frantic, especially when you want that deep lying midfielder to be the sensible one at times