Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Wycombe Wanderers vs Charlton Athletic | Saturday 27th August 2022 - 3pm KO | Match Preview

Wycombe Wanderers vs Charlton Athletic
Saturday 27th August 2022 - 3pm Kick-Off
Referee: David Rock

Introduction
Charlton hit the road once again after two back to back League games yielded four points against both Plymouth Argyle and Cambridge United - The latter saw the Addicks struggling against an organised defensive side, and is a clear sign there is work still to be done - An eight point return isnt the worst scenario in the world, not after a tough start... With League trips to Wycombe and Bolton up next, its not getting any easier.

The Opposition
Name: Wycombe Wanderers (13th) | Manager: Gareth Ainsworth
Ground: Adams Park
Previous Result: Barnsley 0-3 Wycombe Wanderers

"We got what we deserved" - “There is a real backing and togetherness, we live off that and I think that’s really important.” - “If we can keep players fit at this club, then we’ve got a chance. We can always outdo expectations.”

Were the quotes from Ainsworth after their 3-0 win at Oakwell on the weekend... that last line: "We can always outdo expectations" is what Wycombe under Ainsworth will probably be remembered for - Promotion to the Championship alone was unexpected by the majority of the Football world, the fact they came so close to survival added another notch to Ainsworth's reputation, before narrowly missing out on an instant return to the Championship last term... Sunderland (somehow) defeating them in the Play-Off Final.

This term and the first issue for Wycombe was the departure of David Stockdale to Sheffield Wednesday - Perhaps the best Goalkeeper at this level, and recently described as a nemesis by the Milton Keynes Manager; he was a big reason for Wycombe reaching the Play-Off Final alone last season, and has since been replaced by Max Stryjek from Livingston - Form has also been sporadic this term for the Chairboys, their win at Barnsley was just the second of the season, and have suffered three defeats against Exeter | Shrewsbury | Bolton.

Its never a great time to face anyone - But perhaps that isn't the case this coming Saturday.

Charlton Team News
There was a collective sigh around SE7 on Saturday afternoon with injuries starting to take their yearly toll on the Charlton squad - Players and Managers can come and go, yet injuries will apparently remain a big issue in this corner of London - Corey Blackett-Taylor was called off the bench against Cambridge, lasting just a 20 minutes before departing injured... Thankfully his diagnosis doesnt appear too bad so should be back sooner rather than later

However both Conor McGrandles and Steven Sessegnon will remain on the side-lines for a while longer... Mandela Egbo is slowly returning, yet you'd expect this game to come far too soon, an appearance next week in the EFL Trophy against Gillingham might be a different case though.

Wollacott
Clare - Inniss - O'Connell - Clayden
Morgan - Dobson - Fraser
Rak-Sakyi - Stockley - Kirk

Substitutes Bench: MacGillivray - Chin - Lavelle - Payne - Henry - Leaburn - Jaiyesimi

Wycombe will potentially be able to call upon ex-Addicks in Brendan Hanlan (V826) and Sullay Kaikai (V854) - Neither have had many minutes, if at all, for the hosts this season, so their involvement will be doubtful.

Prediction
This is tougher to predict than I'd have thought - Ainsworth's teams are the sort I hate seeing us face, they showed for example in the Play-Offs that they can grind out wins, and having despatched Milton Keynes (a team with a similar style to ourselves) I'd be concerned going into this weekend - Form has been patchy for Wycombe though, and do think that this could be an ideal time to face them.

Away Ground Guide | Ticket Thread

Comments

• Options
    I'll be there, with high hopes and low expectations.  :)
  • Options
    Hoping Lavelle plays ahead of Inniss. If we manage to stay organised a can see us taking a point
  • Options
    When are we going start bigging up Wycombe like they are the invincibles? 
  • Options
    Love an away day so looking forward to this! When Wycombe come to Charlton last I thought they were pretty shocking but still got the win (though that wasnt difficult) there a throw back team who rely on one or two skilful players along with the rest being lumps! 

Charlton win 1-0 (Stockley)
  • Options
    See us winning this.  Will go for 2-0.  Don't know much about Wycombe but assuming they remain long ball merchants I wonder if Innis/Lavelle as CB would work?

If above team was correct then I make it 6 of our squad having been involved in our youth set up?

Wollacott
    Morgan - Dobson - Fraser

Substitutes Bench: MacGillivray - Chin - Lavelle - Payne - Henry - Leaburn - Jaiyesimi
  • Options
    See us winning this.  Will go for 2-0.  Don't know much about Wycombe but assuming they remain long ball merchants I wonder if Innis/Lavelle as CB would work?

If above team was correct then I make it 6 of our squad having been involved in our youth set up?

Wollacott
    Morgan - Dobson - Fraser

I think they are playing a bit differently at the moment. Sam Vokes is injured who was a real handful for them last season, they’ve had Gareth McCleary playing through the middle so I’m assuming they are a lot less long ball at the moment
  • Options
    NabySarr said:

Wollacott
    Morgan - Dobson - Fraser

I think they are playing a bit differently at the moment. Sam Vokes is injured who was a real handful for them last season, they’ve had Gareth McCleary playing through the middle so I’m assuming they are a lot less long ball at the moment
    Dunno about that... Their last 2 games have seen them make 164 and 172 successful passes. We made more than that combined against Cambridge so I'm expecting them to be very direct still.
  • Options
    Jac_52 said:
    NabySarr said:

Wollacott
    Morgan - Dobson - Fraser

Dunno about that... Their last 2 games have seen them make 164 and 172 successful passes. We made more than that combined against Cambridge so I'm expecting them to be very direct still.
    They will probably still be direct, but a different type of direct, probably hitting the ball over the top or into the channels a lot more rather than aiming for Vokes. So we probably won’t need Inniss and Lavelle to both play. 
  • Options
    NabySarr said:
    Jac_52 said:
    NabySarr said:

Wollacott
    Morgan - Dobson - Fraser

They will probably still be direct, but a different type of direct, probably hitting the ball over the top or into the channels a lot more rather than aiming for Vokes. So we probably won’t need Inniss and Lavelle to both play. 

Fair point
  • Options
    Going to be tough, but hoping we can do the business.

2-1 win. 

If there is any game to avoid going 1-0 down its against this lot. The moment they get ahead all the time wasting tricks will be out. Important we don’t give away the first goal.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

Wollacott
    Morgan - Dobson - Fraser

I must be unaware of one of them because I'm struggling to find that 6th youth product?
  • Options

Wollacott
    Morgan - Dobson - Fraser

I must be unaware of one of them because I'm struggling to find that 6th youth product?
    can't we claim Clare as a youth product on a technicality ?
  • Options

Wollacott
    Morgan - Dobson - Fraser

Well he started out at our Academy.
  • Options
    Real tough tough game this. But the sort that teams who manage to get promoted win.

I always try and look at games in blocks, and we have another tough away fixture against Bolton the week after this. 

So where as I can’t say I’d be happy with a draw, I would be happy with a draw if we managed to beat Bolton next week, or vice versa. 

I would want minimum 3 points from both these fixtures, and a win and a loss is not the worst, but it does feel like there is more pressure to get 4+ after the draw with Cambridge.

• Options

Wollacott
    Morgan - Dobson - Fraser

How many years was he in our Academy for?
  • Options
    edited August 2022

Wollacott
    Morgan - Dobson - Fraser

Was with us for five years, so longer than Miles Leaburn ;)

https://www.kentonline.co.uk/medway/sport/sean-clare-gillingham-charlton-return-157705/
  • Options
    Shame they brought Stryjek in.

I was hoping that they would come in for McGillivray.
  • Options

Wollacott
    Morgan - Dobson - Fraser

https://www.kentonline.co.uk/medway/sport/sean-clare-gillingham-charlton-return-157705/
    That probably makes him more of a youth product than Clayden who made his pro debut for Orient and who joined us just some six months before his 19th birthday. 
    Probably but the U21s are still part of the Academy, he only joined us because Leyton Orient dont have an U21 team
  • Options
    as said, their form is all over the place so far, only played two at home .. easily beat Burton, lost to Shrewsbury .. still, they will probably be one of the better L1 teams this season and this game could go any of the three possibles, excuse the statement of the bleedin obvious

we're not conceding many and apart from the Plymouth game, not scoring many .. sounds like a draw

Wycombe Wanderers 1 v CAFC 1

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    Wycombe Wycombe in EFL Cup tonight against Bristol City
  • Options
    Larissa said:
    Hey! Not sure if this is the right place to put this... 
    If you're coming to Wycombe to watch the game, come have a drink with us at, The White Horse on West Wycombe Road before the game, we open at 11am and it's strictly over 18s. It's the 'official away team pub' 
    Hope to see some of you Saturday :)
    Hi @Larissa

On behalf of all of us and those yet to find your wonderful establishment. I thank you 

Your pub alone makes Wycombe Wanderers a game I will always endeavour to attend. I hope you have kept the cash machine stocked up

• Options
    On the game 

Wycombe under Ainsworth are never an easy game, very well organised, strong, direct, physical and have players who can play a bit. Jacobson can seriously hit a decent delivery for someone like Sam Vokes to attack. They could well be the anti-Garner ball that we could have done with playing in a few months time. If we get something from this game I'll be very impressed 
  • Options
    Would rather Lavelle play as I prefer him to Innis. Think it'll be another draw. 0-0. Think they will be like Cambridge and stop us playing.
  • Options
    Can you pay on the day at Wickham ??
  • Options
    DOUCHER said:
    Yes, been confirmed 
  • Options
    edited August 2022

Wollacott
    Morgan - Dobson - Fraser

That probably makes him more of a youth product than Clayden who made his pro debut for Orient and who joined us just some six months before his 19th birthday. 
    Probably but the U21s are still part of the Academy, he only joined us because Leyton Orient dont have an U21 team

Question for Steve Avory:
    if that qualifies to be called academy players when joining and going into the U21's as Pope, Aribo and Clayden were not Scholars when they come to Cafc as they were all 19.
  • Options
    DOUCHER said:
    Connor? 
  • Options
    Tough one, I think this game will give us a good idea of where we are. 

1-1