Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Wycombe Wanderers vs Charlton Athletic | Saturday 27th August 2022 - 3pm KO | Match Preview

Comments

• Options
    seth plum said:
    seth plum said:
    No game at this stage is must win.

Fully acknowledge that if we are going to be successful we need to beat promotion rivals.

Its a long season and whilst we will drop points, so will other teams so its up to us to take advantage. 
    I think we should aspire to reach a very high target. I worry if any defeat is greeted with a shrug rather than huge annoyance, because for me there lies complacency.
    A point is a point at any stage of the season.
    One thing to add is a old quote from John Robinson who said if you can reach 50 points by the end of January, then you can take it from there.

Nothing wrong with a high target but a realistic one....

Naturally you want the team to try win every game, I would be very worried if that wasnt the case! However, sometimes you have to look at where your most likely to get your points. 

For instance, we have Wycombe and Bolton away as our next 2 games so if we got 4 points from that, I would consider that a decent return from 2 tough games then no disrespect to Exeter but that should be viewed as 3 points and anything less is a disappointment.  
    A lot of posters thought we would turn over Cambridge United.
    We didn’t.
    I like the idea of taking each game in isolation and set up to win it.
    I actually think tomorrow will be very tough indeed, Wycombe were masters of shithousery last season, but we have to legislate for that, legislate for a crap ref, legislate for injury, legislate for a sending off, and legislate for falling behind even to a wonder goal.
    There is no space for excuses, we have been a work in progress too long for me, the owner, the manager, the players have to deliver wins.

One practical suggestion is if we win the toss kick the ‘wrong way’ for Wycombe. Use every little advantage we can muster.

Kick the ‘right way’ towards the Charlton fans in the second half. There’s enough of us going as it is to make a lot of noise. Cambridge could have won it in the second half last week if they hadn’t played that dumb trick. The way we were playing by having Innis as the playmaker was why Charlton didn’t win, not because we were kicking the wrong way. 
  • Options
    edited August 2022
    From the game preview and what Garner said it sounds very possible that CBT and McGrandles may make it - which would be a nice surprise.

If they don’t at least it sounds very close. 

Also nothing on Sess, so maybe he’s back?
  • Options
    3 - 0 defeat

Buy a centre back
    But not that one 🙄
  • Options
    Really tough to call this one.  We can’t lose first and foremost, so draw isn’t the end of the world by any means.  Would be the first real statement win if we managed it somehow, tough place to go.  

Players like Innis, Dobson and Stockley are important because they will battle and we have to match them from the off, then hopefully the football starts to get played. I’m on the fence 1-1.
  • Options
    Not sure I can see us winning this one. 2-2.
  • Options
    edited August 2022
    One of the toughest away games of the season. A draw would be a good result. If we can keep picking up points in these games while the team is still improving, we should be in a good position to push on. 

But we can't keep missing so many chances. Stockley in particular needs to start putting them away.
  • Options
    Wycombe 6-0 Charlton because I'm feeling so positive about things...
  • Options
    How many have we sold? Enough for a sit where you like situation or an in your allocated seat situation. I’m going with wife and daughter and we look like we’re in the back row right behind the goal. Can we expect to get to our seats and find feral youth already in situ?
  • Options
    Uboat said:
    How many have we sold? Enough for a sit where you like situation or an in your allocated seat situation. I’m going with wife and daughter and we look like we’re in the back row right behind the goal. Can we expect to get to our seats and find feral youth already in situ?
    Almost 1,400 Addicks have snapped up tickets for the trip to Adams Park, with tickets available from the ground on the day. Fans should note this is card only
    https://www.charltonafc.com/news/match-preview-wycombe-wanderers-v-charlton
    There should be about 300 empty seats remaining.
  • Options
    Draw written all over it. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Chunes said:
    One of the toughest away games of the season. A draw would be a good result. If we can keep picking up points in these games while the team is still improving, we should be in a good position to push on. 

But we can't keep missing so many chances. Stockley in particular needs to start putting them away.
    Haven't we said all our away games, so far, are some of the hardest of the season.  Bolton will be no easier. 
  • Options
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Chunes said:

Haven't we said all our away games, so far, are some of the hardest of the season.  Bolton will be no easier. 
    Well they have been. Saw that when the fixture list came out. It's a tough opening.
  • Options
    Chunes said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Chunes said:

Well they have been. Saw that when the fixture list came out. It's a tough opening.
    It's been easier, relatively, than last season.  Those first 4 games were brutal. 

4 points from these two games and I think we have had a fantastic start, 2 or 3 will still be good. 
  • Options
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Chunes said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Chunes said:

It's been easier, relatively, than last season.  Those first 4 games were brutal. 

4 points from these two games and I think we have had a fantastic start, 2 or 3 will still be good. 
    Sometimes I'm not quite sure if you're agreeing or disagreeing with me
  • Options
    We played tues, they played wed. Last round in the Cup & the same thing happened.....and we lost away to Sheff Wed on the sat.

2-0 and we find that perhaps we do need another striker after all. 
  • Options
    We played tues, they played wed. Last round in the Cup & the same thing happened.....and we lost away to Sheff Wed on the sat.

2-0 and we find that perhaps we do need another striker after all. 
    Garner's literally said he'd like us to sign a striker.
  • Options

2-2, Inniss gets crocked and we find that perhaps we do need another defender after all. 
  • Options
    Away daaaaaaays 
  • Options
    Away daaaaaaays 
    And our derby game in the league this season
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    On paper a tough game against one of the teams expected to be up there at end of season. 

For no particular reason I am feeling very bullish about this one. 

3-1 to the Addicks
  • Options
    DOUCHER said:
    Can you pay on the day at Wickham ??
    West or East Wickham?
    right, leaving at 11 - seems a bit early for just the other side of bromley - COYR!!!!! what pub is best for away fans???
  • Options
    Away daaaaaaays 

The folks taking pics last season was good. Same again please.
  • Options
    It's so early in the season it seems silly to say this but I really think today will be a good measure of where we are at. They have started poorly and will be looking to make up ground. We have started better than most forecast. If we can get a result here it would be a great performance. Although I think we will lose 2-1
  • Options
    AndyG said:
    It's so early in the season it seems silly to say this but I really think today will be a good measure of where we are at. They have started poorly and will be looking to make up ground. We have started better than most forecast. If we can get a result here it would be a great performance. Although I think we will lose 2-1
    Agreed - on balance I think we probably will lose but I travel in hope and wouldn’t be that surprised if we do win - we are capable of it - even before we make our marquee striker signing !!! 
  • Options
    AndyG said:
    Some were saying Plymouth and Cambridge would be a good measure of where we are. Four points, two per game = promotion form.
  • Options
    Scoham said:
    AndyG said:
    Some were saying Plymouth and Cambridge would be a good measure of where we are. Four points, two per game = promotion form.
    Yes but Wycombe will be a different opposition imo. They dont in the main try to play and it will be a marker how we cope with that. The teams that keep the ball down and try to play through the lines I have no doubt we will beat more often than not
  • Options
    AndyG said:
    Scoham said:
    AndyG said:
    Yes but Wycombe will be a different opposition imo. They dont in the main try to play and it will be a marker how we cope with that. The teams that keep the ball down and try to play through the lines I have no doubt we will beat more often than not
    Agreed, it will be a good test of "Garnerball", playing a battle hardened team which has consistently overachieved at this level
  • Options
    edited August 2022
    I’ve got a last minute adult spare if anyone wants. I’ll take £10 for it.