Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Wycombe Wanderers vs Charlton Athletic | Saturday 27th August 2022 - 3pm KO | Match Preview

Comments

• Options
    Hoping Lavelle plays ahead of Inniss. If we manage to stay organised a can see us taking a point
    I'm not
  • Options
    First time we are going to an away game since Wimbledon in 2019, first proper new ground (as opposed to the Don's temporary ground) in donkeys years. Looks a bugger to get to from the station, but we'll manage... 
    https://footballgroundguide.com/leagues/england/championship/adams-park-wycombe-wanderers.html
  • Options
    Well we can't be worse than last season's performance, that 2-1 scoreline incredibly flattered us

I'm predicting a 1-1 draw, McLeary to once again be taunted about his hair, and then score against us
  • Options
    edited August 2022
    seth plum said:
    A must win.
    Too late now. Cambridge was a must win apparently, so it’s all over :-(
  • Options
    COYR
  • Options
    seth plum said:
    A must win.
    Eh?  Why is it a must win
    Because we are three points behind target. Even if we win at Wycombe we will be one point behind target.
  • Options
    seth plum said:
    seth plum said:
    A must win.
    Because we are three points behind target. Even if we win at Wycombe we will be one point behind target.

• Options
    They seem to have started the first 4 games of the season with a rookie keeper who conceded 8 goals and had a save percentage of 38%. Sadly what I assume is their main keeper played their last match and kept a clean sheet, making 5 saves, which was the same amount the other guy managed to make in 4 games.

Will be a big test as to how we do against these direct teams, hopefully we have learnt from the Accrington game. Would take a point here tbh.
  • Options
    seth plum said:
    seth plum said:
    A must win.
    What target?  We're 5 games into the season! 
  • Options
    Fine preview FA. 

We need the three points in this one. GA teams are tough, physical but not beyond us. With every passing season (from their Championship days) they are weaker. I think they will make top 8 this season if that. If we harbour aspirations of going up ~ winning this one is vital. As was Cambridge and Stanley..

If Kirk and Raki-saki are really on their respective games we can do it. Anything less than 100% and we won't get the 3. 

Addicks to victory. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    3 - 0 defeat

Buy a centre back
  • Options
    First time we are going to an away game since Wimbledon in 2019, first proper new ground (as opposed to the Don's temporary ground) in donkeys years. Looks a bugger to get to from the station, but we'll manage... 
    https://footballgroundguide.com/leagues/england/championship/adams-park-wycombe-wanderers.html
    Cheers CE. Suspicions confirmed then.  :D The number 16 bus mentioned does not exist according to the local bus website. The Only # 16 in Buckinghamshire serves Aylesbury? 
  • Options
    Same team selection as per the great preview there.

1-1, maybe a cheeky 1-2 away win
  • Options
    after working away all week in Halifax am heading to this one and looking forward to it. 

i think as others have said it will be a good pointer as to where we are this season, as we dont look likely to be getting any one through the door. 
  • Options
    3 - 0 defeat

Buy a centre back
    You been hacked by that Golfie chap :)
  • Options
    Cheers CE. Suspicions confirmed then.  :D The number 16 bus mentioned does not exist according to the local bus website. The Only # 16 in Buckinghamshire serves Aylesbury? 
    The number 32 bus route runs from the bus station [Town Centre] to The Hour Glass pub, which is about a 15 minute walk to the ground, Booker [Asda] should be on the destination blind.
    https://www.arrivabus.co.uk/find-a-service/32-32a-booker-to-micklefield-estate

• Options
    edited August 2022
    CB-T tore them apart last year for 20 mins. They couldn’t handle his pace. Not sure how much their lineup has changed since then, but I suspect they’ll be happier dealing with Kirk. 
    However, when we’ve been on song we’ve looked a much better side this season, so I’m going full happy clapper: 2-1 to the mighty Addicks. 
  • Options
    Really ugly side that summed up League 1 at the Valley back in January where the highlight was Innis 'asking' their player to hurry his throw. Time wasting and shocking negative tactics. Really pleased they came unstuck against Sunderland. First goal is crucial, if we ger it we will get a result, if not....2-0 to Wycombe
  • Options
    seth plum said:
    seth plum said:
    A must win.
    The target of winning every home game and drawing every away game in order to achieve 92 points.
    If we fail, like at home to Cambridge United and away to Sheffield Wednesday (3 points dropped) then you have to make those dropped points back somehow, which is why Wycombe Wanderers and Bolton Wanderers are both must win games and that would bank a 1 point cushion against an away defeat.
  • Options
    seth plum said:
    seth plum said:
    seth plum said:
    A must win.
    The target of winning every home game and drawing every away game in order to achieve 92 points.
    If we fail, like at home to Cambridge United and away to Sheffield Wednesday (3 points dropped) then you have to make those dropped points back somehow, which is why Wycombe Wanderers and Bolton Wanderers are both must win games and that would bank a 1 point cushion against an away defeat.
    By that metric, our target is to go the season unbeaten. That's ludicrous 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited August 2022
    seth plum said:
    seth plum said:
    seth plum said:
    A must win.
    Not really... 90 and 92-pts (Seth's target) was what won automatic promotion last season - So looking at it from that approach, it makes sense - 83-pts on the other hand was the requirement for the Play-Offs.
  • Options
    seth plum said:
    seth plum said:
    seth plum said:
    A must win.
    Not quite.
    You can lose two away games for example, but if you win the next away game you meet the target.

• Options
    Really ugly side that summed up League 1 at the Valley back in January where the highlight was Innis 'asking' their player to hurry his throw. Time wasting and shocking negative tactics. Really pleased they came unstuck against Sunderland. First goal is crucial, if we ger it we will get a result, if not....2-0 to Wycombe
    Totally agree with sentiments re last years playoffs.  Its so rare to see justice done, MK Dons were the better team and Wycombe were found out in the playoff final. As for us...... brace yourselves....how tough can we be? or can we outplay them ?   I have my doubts about both (but I have strong pessimistic streak..... so occasionally  I'm pleasantly surprised.)
  • Options
    No game at this stage is must win.

Fully acknowledge that if we are going to be successful we need to beat promotion rivals.

Its a long season and whilst we will drop points, so will other teams so its up to us to take advantage. 
  • Options
    Totally agree with sentiments re last years playoffs.  Its so rare to see justice done, MK Dons were the better team and Wycombe were found out in the playoff final. As for us...... brace yourselves....how tough can we be? or can we outplay them ?   I have my doubts about both (but I have strong pessimistic streak..... so occasionally  I'm pleasantly surprised.)
    Certainly think we can outplay them but we 100% need to be tougher as there shithouse team. Honestly thought they were worst team (bar us) id seen at The Valley all season.  
  • Options

Fully acknowledge that if we are going to be successful we need to beat promotion rivals.

Its a long season and whilst we will drop points, so will other teams so its up to us to take advantage. 
    I think we should aspire to reach a very high target. I worry if any defeat is greeted with a shrug rather than huge annoyance, because for me there lies complacency.
    A point is a point at any stage of the season.
    One thing to add is a old quote from John Robinson who said if you can reach 50 points by the end of January, then you can take it from there.

• Options
    edited August 2022
    That's not really how this league works though, we know that. Blackpool were in the relegation places at a late stage and went on a late run to get promoted. You just need to keep picking up points in your bad spells and go on good runs and you can be right up there. It's rare a team goes the whole season winning left right and centre. And this team certainly isn't going to do that.
  • Options
    Think this game will suit us , Wycombe will attack us and we will hit them on the break ,if we can put in a top defensive  performance and get that bit of luck I can see us winning this 1-2 

• Options
    seth plum said:

I think we should aspire to reach a very high target. I worry if any defeat is greeted with a shrug rather than huge annoyance, because for me there lies complacency.
    One thing to add is a old quote from John Robinson who said if you can reach 50 points by the end of January, then you can take it from there.

Nothing wrong with a high target but a realistic one....

Naturally you want the team to try win every game, I would be very worried if that wasnt the case! However, sometimes you have to look at where your most likely to get your points. 

For instance, we have Wycombe and Bolton away as our next 2 games so if we got 4 points from that, I would consider that a decent return from 2 tough games then no disrespect to Exeter but that should be viewed as 3 points and anything less is a disappointment.  
  • Options
    edited August 2022
    seth plum said:

Nothing wrong with a high target but a realistic one....

Naturally you want the team to try win every game, I would be very worried if that wasnt the case! However, sometimes you have to look at where your most likely to get your points. 

For instance, we have Wycombe and Bolton away as our next 2 games so if we got 4 points from that, I would consider that a decent return from 2 tough games then no disrespect to Exeter but that should be viewed as 3 points and anything less is a disappointment.  
    A lot of posters thought we would turn over Cambridge United.
    We didn’t.
    I like the idea of taking each game in isolation and set up to win it.
    I actually think tomorrow will be very tough indeed, Wycombe were masters of shithousery last season, but we have to legislate for that, legislate for a crap ref, legislate for injury, legislate for a sending off, and legislate for falling behind even to a wonder goal.
    There is no space for excuses, we have been a work in progress too long for me, the owner, the manager, the players have to deliver wins.

One practical suggestion is if we win the toss kick the ‘wrong way’ for Wycombe. Use every little advantage we can muster.