Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

POST-MATCH THREAD | Wycombe Wanderers V Charlton Athletic..Saturday 27th August 2022

14567810»

Comments

• Options
    seth plum said:
    We achieved a point in a game where we started three points behind target (due to losing to Sheffield Wednesday and drawing with Cambridge United). Had we held on at Accrington we would have only been one point off the target, an indication to me that points matter at every stage of the season.
    A draw at Wycombe represented a holding pattern, and we go to Bolton still three points off the target. Defeat at Bolton leaves us four points down, which represents having to win against Exeter and Forest Green, and a win at Fleetwood would haul us back to two points short of (my) target.
    If we maintain current form we get to 63 points with two games left, win those in a kind of Hail Mary surge and we end up on 69 points.
    This is why Bolton away right now is a must win. If we do so it compensates for Cambridge, and would leave the one point dropped in Sheffield as the blot on the landscape, something that can be made up at Fleetwood.
    In short we are now in a position where to stay on track for the 92 points we need, we have to win the next four in a row (that creates a one point cushion).
    I worry that anybody thinks we’re not doing that bad. I know it isn’t relegation form, but our aspiration should be much higher.
    As far as I am concerned we are failing by an average of 0.667 points per game overall.
    My approach remains to take each game one at a time, and structure all our resources in order to win at Bolton.
    To extrapolate from 6 matches to 46 is highly questionable.; any points estimate based on that would have a very wide confidence interval. I don't think any game at this stage is a "  must-win".  If we win, great; if we lose there are still 39 games left.
  • Options
    Worried the average/poor performances are becoming a bit of a trend now with the last two games. 

Glad we aren't losing but we don't look like a team that will competing at the top. 

The reliance on players that finished midtable last season will come to bite us this season. The likes of Morgan, Inniss, Stockley as a spine aren't good enough. 
    I'm pleased for you, that you could complain about Morgan again this season, who was poor today.

His solid performances this term (making him one of our better players) must be hard for a lot of our fans to cope with.
    Morgan's inability to string together a decent run of games has always been his problem.
    I had hoped against my expectation that he'd overcome the issue.
    But Saturday our problems started with Albie.
    He lost possession and or passed to the opposition 5 consecutive times in the first half and he really put us under the cosh by continually letting Wycombe have possession.
    Yes he tried, but he was like a kid against men again.
  • Options
    seth plum said:
    seth plum said:
    We achieved a point in a game where we started three points behind target (due to losing to Sheffield Wednesday and drawing with Cambridge United). Had we held on at Accrington we would have only been one point off the target, an indication to me that points matter at every stage of the season.
    A draw at Wycombe represented a holding pattern, and we go to Bolton still three points off the target. Defeat at Bolton leaves us four points down, which represents having to win against Exeter and Forest Green, and a win at Fleetwood would haul us back to two points short of (my) target.
    If we maintain current form we get to 63 points with two games left, win those in a kind of Hail Mary surge and we end up on 69 points.
    This is why Bolton away right now is a must win. If we do so it compensates for Cambridge, and would leave the one point dropped in Sheffield as the blot on the landscape, something that can be made up at Fleetwood.
    In short we are now in a position where to stay on track for the 92 points we need, we have to win the next four in a row (that creates a one point cushion).
    I worry that anybody thinks we’re not doing that bad. I know it isn’t relegation form, but our aspiration should be much higher.
    As far as I am concerned we are failing by an average of 0.667 points per game overall.
    My approach remains to take each game one at a time, and structure all our resources in order to win at Bolton.
    It really is not that bad though. Just like what happened with Wigan did last year - there’s going to be stretches of games where we achieve less than 2 points a game, and stretches where we achieve more.

Playing 2 teams in the play offs last year away from home, alongside a team who are notoriously hard to beat at their place will make it very hard to achieve that magic number. Yeah we should have beaten Cambridge, but then again they beat Wigan at Wigan last year - so again not exactly the ‘easiest’ fixture. 

As you mention that run against Exeter, Forest Green and Fleetwood is where we should, if we have aspirations for top 6, be achieving over that 2 point per game target.

Personally I think we should be getting 9 points out of those 3, if we want to show what we are about.
    I hear what you say.
    This season my mindset is more demanding and less forgiving.
    Sandgaard, Garner, and Gallen, along with the players signed, have set out their stance.
    I know that our current form wouldn’t even achieve the play offs.
    The last gateway now is the transfer deadline, and following that we shouldn’t so much hit the ground running but be increasing the pace.
    I am personally sick and tired of being a work in progress with a promise of jam tomorrow.
    I want it right now.
    But our current form could be promotion form. To get through a tough set of fixtures and still be in touch is exactly where we need to be in my opinion. If we get through the ‘weaker’ set of fixtures after Bolton and are further adrift and have not made up ground, then I’ll certainly be with you and say it’s not promotion form.

On the ‘work in progress’ funny enough for me this feels like first actual time it’s happening in a long time - apart from someone just close to the team taking over and continuing the norm. 

I know under Adkins it was kinda meant to be like that, but they neither gave him the tools or did the massive reset we needed. 
    Many posters, for understandable reasons feel confident in saying this fixture will be easy, that fixture will be hard. There was a bit of an ‘easy fixture’ pile on predicting the Cambridge result.
    It didn’t happen.
    I think each opponent should be approached with huge respect, and the aim should be to beat them. One feature of this third division is that every team will have at least one player that can hurt you, like May and Stockton in unfashionable ‘easy’ opponents. 
    If those teams can provide a solid platform for the one good player, maybe a premiership loanee, to do their stuff, then anybody can get beat. 
    I might have been more tolerant regarding results in the past, but for me personally this season, for the reasons I have stated, I expect to win every game or for there to be a damn good reason if we don’t.
  • Options
    seth plum said:
    seth plum said:
    seth plum said:
    It really is not that bad though. Just like what happened with Wigan did last year - there’s going to be stretches of games where we achieve less than 2 points a game, and stretches where we achieve more.

Playing 2 teams in the play offs last year away from home, alongside a team who are notoriously hard to beat at their place will make it very hard to achieve that magic number. Yeah we should have beaten Cambridge, but then again they beat Wigan at Wigan last year - so again not exactly the ‘easiest’ fixture. 

As you mention that run against Exeter, Forest Green and Fleetwood is where we should, if we have aspirations for top 6, be achieving over that 2 point per game target.

Personally I think we should be getting 9 points out of those 3, if we want to show what we are about.
    I hear what you say.
    This season my mindset is more demanding and less forgiving.
    Sandgaard, Garner, and Gallen, along with the players signed, have set out their stance.
    I know that our current form wouldn’t even achieve the play offs.
    The last gateway now is the transfer deadline, and following that we shouldn’t so much hit the ground running but be increasing the pace.
    I am personally sick and tired of being a work in progress with a promise of jam tomorrow.
    I want it right now.
    But our current form could be promotion form. To get through a tough set of fixtures and still be in touch is exactly where we need to be in my opinion. If we get through the ‘weaker’ set of fixtures after Bolton and are further adrift and have not made up ground, then I’ll certainly be with you and say it’s not promotion form.

On the ‘work in progress’ funny enough for me this feels like first actual time it’s happening in a long time - apart from someone just close to the team taking over and continuing the norm. 

I know under Adkins it was kinda meant to be like that, but they neither gave him the tools or did the massive reset we needed. 
    Many posters, for understandable reasons feel confident in saying this fixture will be easy, that fixture will be hard. There was a bit of an ‘easy fixture’ pile on predicting the Cambridge result.
    It didn’t happen.
    I think each opponent should be approached with huge respect, and the aim should be to beat them. One feature of this third division is that every team will have at least one player that can hurt you, like May and Stockton in unfashionable ‘easy’ opponents. 
    If those teams can provide a solid platform for the one good player, maybe a premiership loanee, to do their stuff, then anybody can get beat. 
    I might have been more tolerant regarding results in the past, but for me personally this season, for the reasons I have stated, I expect to win every game or for there to be a damn good reason if we don’t.
    Seth you can’t rightfully point to the strength of other teams, and how on their day they can hurt anyone, but then expect us to win every game and say you are not tolerant if we don’t. 

It makes no sense.

Last years champions didn’t win 19 of their fixtures, the same the season before, and it was 16 draws or losses for Coventry when they won the league the season before that. 

The season we got promoted under Bowyer we drew 10 and lost 10. Almost half of our fixtures without a win. 

It’s an unrealistic expectation to have, disrespectful for the strength and hard work of others teams, and also probably sets your mind to be in a negative place if we don’t meet your expectations.

Do I want Charlton to win every game. Of course. I’ve mentioned in the past on here that there is not much better then walking up Floyd Road after a win - and how it can ruin a couple of hours of the day after if we don’t. 

Do I expect us to try and win every game. Yes. And so far we have seen under Garner that he will set us up to try and do that.

Do I expect us to win every game. No. And people shouldn’t either.
  • Options
    I am a season ticket holder and will always go, and I won’t boo the team at the Valley.
    That is pretty tolerant.
    Of course we can lose games, we have already lost one, but that can be mitigated by winning others. I am impatient, and don’t want to wait (again) for the pieces to fall into place.
    I believe Garner when he says he takes one game at a time and wants to win it.
    In that respect Garner and I are bredren!
  • Options
    edited August 2022
    Wycombe sure ain't a football town, but as I stood there looking at the rolling Buckinghamshire countryside and the occasional majestic Red Kite gliding past, I had a wry smile as our fans were singing "Wycombe's a shit hole, I want to go home".
    Almost as funny as when I heard the same thing walking away from Craven Cottage through Bishop's Park with it's million pound mansions and Thames side views.
    They/we were singing it before they/we had even arrived at Wycombe.
    Sang it all day.

One special fan on the football shuttle bus, abused Wycombe fans who must have been in there 70's and punched a hole in the roof of the shuttle bus.

Then dropping the broken bits down the stairs onto other fans.
  • Options
    Wycombe sure ain't a football town, but as I stood there looking at the rolling Buckinghamshire countryside and the occasional majestic Red Kite gliding past, I had a wry smile as our fans were singing "Wycombe's a shit hole, I want to go home".
    Almost as funny as when I heard the same thing walking away from Craven Cottage through Bishop's Park with it's million pound mansions and Thames side views.
    Sang it all day.

One special fan on the football shuttle bus, abused Wycombe fans who must have been in there 80's and punched a hole in the roof of the shuttle bus.

Nice. The VIP away fans were steered towards the single decker one that got away first and saw us onto the 5.33 train. Fair play to Pam-err-laa making that run from station to platform across the bridge in time!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    https://vm.tiktok.com/ZMNcJLRgu/

So naughtily skilful! Loved this moment in the game 
  • Options
    Sang it all day.

One special fan on the football shuttle bus, abused Wycombe fans who must have been in there 70's and punched a hole in the roof of the shuttle bus.

Ridiculous. I hope the CCTV on the bus identified him, and he can be punished in some way
  • Options
    Thanks to AKA and Dylan keeping the door open on the train home 
  • Options
    Mosscat said:
    Must have been a bit breezy in the carriage!
  • Options
    Mosscat said:
    So you could nip outside and jot down the number?
  • Options
    right, its good news folks - the news shopper have agreed to print the 'we don't need a striker as much as a centre half register' in the next edition - will be a handy checklist when you read something on here that appears to lack any football intelligence whatsoever - a quick glance at the list and you can simply dismiss the post and move on, safe in the knowledge that it should not be taken seriously - fingers crossed that garner isn't on it      
  • Options
    Mosscat said:
    Good to see you @Mosscat and glad you made it!
  • Options
    Jacobson is no mug either. Is one of Wycombe's better players and captain the past two or three years. JRS made him look silly.
  • Options
    JRS is very talented - makes u realise the gulf in quality between the top level and where we are - he was let go by chelsea a few years back as well  
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Jacobson is no mug either. Is one of Wycombe's better players and captain the past two or three years. JRS made him look silly.
    He's 35, definitely past his best 
  • Options
    edited October 2022
    Croydon said:
    2 weeks running where a lack of a Plan B has been incredibly evident. 
    Must resist urge to post Russell Martin clip.
    Seeing that Swansea lost again today and are in the bottom 3, I would suggest Russell Martin needs a Plan B before Swansea bring out Plan P45

Swansea have won four out of the last five and are now 6th in the Championship.

As far as I can tell from a quick glance - it's not been because he changed formation, panicked, went to plan B. His team got better after playing more games together.