Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

POST-MATCH THREAD | Wycombe Wanderers V Charlton Athletic..Saturday 27th August 2022

Comments

• Options
    Curbishley talks so much sense.  

If Sandgaard had the foresight get him in the fold rather than wasting his spot on acumen on Charlton TV it would likely pay huge dividends. 

Has forgotten more about Charlton and football than anyone currently involved in the club has or likely ever will.
    Forgotten? 
    Curbishley or Sandgaard?
    I'm genuinely not sure what you're trying to say.
  • Options
    I'm like a broken record but at least I'm consistent. 61% possession means very little if you only have two shots on target.
    True if you’re playing at home to Port Vale. But not if you’re limiting a decent team away from home to four shots. It’s not just designed to create chances but to limit the opposition too.
  • Options
    For me, bit disappointed in the manager that he didn't bring on Leaburn and DJ at 45 mins, when it was clear kirk couldn't beat his man and stockley couldn't get space for himself or win the ariels. 

Shame washington went and defo need his replacement. 
  • Options
    Happy with that. I think we've progressed immensely from last season. However theres still something missing in this squad or team, I just don't know what it is.
  • Options

If Sandgaard had the foresight get him in the fold rather than wasting his spot on acumen on Charlton TV it would likely pay huge dividends. 

Has forgotten more about Charlton and football than anyone currently involved in the club has or likely ever will.
    Sandgaard has already said we don't need experienced football people involved as running a football club is easy you just need to be smarter than everybody else  :D

Anyway who needs Curbs when you have Martin & the wife.
    Did he? I must have missed that.

Who were the experienced football people let go to make way for Martin and Raelynn?
  • Options
    Was fearing the worst after that period of grim dominance by Wycombe in the first half. Pleased that we kept them quieter in the second half, though we were a bit toothless ourselves. A couple of shrewd additions and I think we'll compete for a playoff spot. 

• Options
    Gutted Stockley didn’t get his hat trick 
        It’s time our owner and new manager took
    note of Curbs and realised  that we need a proper striker, today we could have had 3 goals and 3 points and our superb young gifted winger would have scored one and made two 👍👍👍
  • Options
    I feel sorry for Stockley, he is being made to play a game for which he is not suited, he tries hard but, except for set piece defending, is quite useless.
    Then move him on and get in someone more suited.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I get the feeling that will look like a very good point come the end of the season given the performance. Could easily have lost, so the point makes up for the one at least that we deserved and didn't get against Sheff Wed. 
  • Options
    %SDAddick said:
    SDAddick said:

Bring him in in what capacity? He's been out of football for what, a decade now? And when he and Brownie talk about possession football as a concept, you feel the game has passed them by. Brownie obviously far more so than Curbs. But Curbs was part of a generation of managers that are largely out of the game now. 

I think we need another football person in our "leadership" group, but I don't know that that person is Curbs. I think ideally it would be someone with more ties and familiarity with the modern game, particularly analytics, who can grow with the club. 

That might stand up to scrutiny if the current footballing nous supporting Garner from above consisted of more than the 3 Sandgaards and Gallen.  Even in his retirement Curbishley would add more value than certainly the first 3 in an advisory capacity in both how to win football matches and run a football club successfully.

I think we actually agree on that, at least on the Sandgaards. I think Gallen has proven himself to be valuable. But I would want a person or persons more in touch more with the modern game, and not simply more knowledgeable about football than the Sandgaards because quite frankly, I fit the bill there. 
    Ok nothing to boast about, roughly 99% who post on here fir that bill  :D
  • Options
    Well that was a painful watch

A bit of a game of two halves really, as while we were worryingly open in the first half and should have come in behind, in the second half we tightened it up and Wycombe then created little.

Not that we created anything either, creatively we were very poor. Ponderous passing and a lack of movement. Other than JRS with a few moments of individual brilliance, and Dobson with a very "Dobsonish" second half performance, none of the outfield players especially impressed. Stockley in this system just doesn't work, Wycombe's centre backs completely dominated him.

And I thought Garner was strangely passive with his subs today too; on a warm day and a very physical battle, it was odd to only make 3 subs and make them so late when so many players were off the boil and tired.
  • Options
    I was getting nervous at the end, having predicted a 1-1 draw in the score prediction thread, that one of the teams might spoil it, by actually stringing 3 passes together and scoring, but that never happened.
  • Options
    SDAddick said:
    ross1 said:
    They were very average but last 30 minutes, a bit like Sheff Wednesday, We looked tired. Are our fitness coaches worse than Wycombes and Wednesday?
    Exhausted from Tuesday, what will happen Wednesday?

11 new players would be my guess. Maybe 10 if we think McG's price will go down if he's Pizza Cup tied. 
    We'll be fined if we make so many changes, with Sandgaard cost cutting I cant see that happening.

Dont forget something like 5 of the players used, need to have been involved already this season
    The fine is nothing though, it's 5k.

"7.6  Any EFL Club failing to meet the requirement to play Full Available Strength will be required to pay a fine of up to £5,000."

https://www.efl.com/papa-johns-trophy/the-competition/rules/
    Yes it's like Tesco down at The Valley though, every penny counts
  • Options
    edited August 2022
    RC_CAFC said:
    Jesus guys, we’ve just come away from last seasons play off finalists with a well deserved, well earned point. 

I’m reading a thread that looks like we’ve just lost our 3rd/4th game in row to relegation fodder.

It wasn’t a vintage performance or game but it was great effort against the ultimate football spoilers in the league.

Decision making in the final third definitely wasn’t at its sharpest. And I thought Kirk was just too predictable at times. Needs to show down the line sometimes just to mix his game up.

Don’t bother risking anyone important in the week and give them all a good rest ready for Bolton.
    Wycombe have lost to Exeter, Shrewsbury and Bolton already this season. 
    And they smashed Barnsley away from home last week. 

Yeah and they had a kid in goal for their first 4 games who conceded 8 goals from 13 shots on target.
  • Options
    RC_CAFC said:
    Jesus guys, we’ve just come away from last seasons play off finalists with a well deserved, well earned point. 

I’m reading a thread that looks like we’ve just lost our 3rd/4th game in row to relegation fodder.

It wasn’t a vintage performance or game but it was great effort against the ultimate football spoilers in the league.

Decision making in the final third definitely wasn’t at its sharpest. And I thought Kirk was just too predictable at times. Needs to show down the line sometimes just to mix his game up.

Don’t bother risking anyone important in the week and give them all a good rest ready for Bolton.

Any chance Barnsley were a bit shit that day…… 
  • Options
    swordfish said:

Sandgaard has already said we don't need experienced football people involved as running a football club is easy you just need to be smarter than everybody else  :D

Anyway who needs Curbs when you have Martin & the wife.
    Did he? I must have missed that.

Who were the experienced football people let go to make way for Martin and Raelynn?
    Obviously you did, there was a lot of fans suggesting that we need an experienced CEO & I'm not sure if he was asked by the press though I guess he must of been as he responded in the press with what I said in my post.

Did anybody make way for Martin & the wife ? Do we even know exactly what they do. Why are you suggesting that I even said that we let experienced football people go so that his family could move in ???
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    RC_CAFC said:

Any chance Barnsley were a bit shit that day…… 
    Well of course Barnsley were shite that day... They got beaten 3-0 - But Wycombe also played really well (as they'd have made Barnsley look shite), as you dont get "lucky" winning by those score lines
  • Options
    might might we have had 3 youngsters on the bench do that they count as Ist team for the Micky mouse cup
  • Options
    Just a heads up we’re yet to play anyone in this image. League is starting to take shape and we still haven’t played anyone in the bottom 10.
    Thank God for reminding us, we have a reputation for beating opposition we should be beating. I make it an easy 60 points there!  Phew.
  • Options
    2022/23 - 8-pts after five games
    2021/22 - 6-pts achieved after nine games | 9-pts achieved after eleven games.
    So we are better than a team that was in a  relegation battle for half the season & that finished 13th. 

Whoppee do.....