Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

POST-MATCH THREAD | Wycombe Wanderers V Charlton Athletic..Saturday 27th August 2022

Comments

• Options
    edited August 2022
    SDAddick said:
    Curbishley talks so much sense.  

If Sandgaard had the foresight get him in the fold rather than wasting his spot on acumen on Charlton TV it would likely pay huge dividends. 

Has forgotten more about Charlton and football than anyone currently involved in the club has or likely ever will.
    Bring him in in what capacity? He's been out of football for what, a decade now? And when he and Brownie talk about possession football as a concept, you feel the game has passed them by. Brownie obviously far more so than Curbs. But Curbs was part of a generation of managers that are largely out of the game now. 

I think we need another football person in our "leadership" group, but I don't know that that person is Curbs. I think ideally it would be someone with more ties and familiarity with the modern game, particularly analytics, who can grow with the club. 

That might stand up to scrutiny if the current footballing nous supporting Garner from above consisted of more than the 3 Sandgaards and Gallen.  Even in his retirement Curbishley would add more value than certainly the first 3 in an advisory capacity in both how to win football matches and run a football club successfully.

I think we actually agree on that, at least on the Sandgaards. I think Gallen has proven himself to be valuable. But I would want a person or persons more in touch more with the modern game, and not simply more knowledgeable about football than the Sandgaards because quite frankly, I fit the bill there. 
  • Options
    SDAddick said:
    SDAddick said:
    ross1 said:
    They were very average but last 30 minutes, a bit like Sheff Wednesday, We looked tired. Are our fitness coaches worse than Wycombes and Wednesday?
    Exhausted from Tuesday, what will happen Wednesday?

11 new players would be my guess. Maybe 10 if we think McG's price will go down if he's Pizza Cup tied. 
    We'll be fined if we make so many changes, with Sandgaard cost cutting I cant see that happening.

Dont forget something like 5 of the players used, need to have been involved already this season
    I do a sort of "Memento" with the EFL Trophy every year in which I forget just how silly and pointless it is but every year I forget to have "It's more silly and pointless than you remember" tattooed on my body and so I forget just how silly and pointless it is.

It's one function is to blood youngsters. But we can't blood too many youngsters because of entirely arbitrary rules. Got it.

*in no way a dig at you FA, hopefully that's clear. 
    Nah I know mate... Remember Premier League U21 sides... CAN!!
  • Options
    Thought that was the worst game of the season so far, in terms of a spectacle. Dire lack of quality in the final third from both sides, even my MoM JRS was guilty of some shocking passes. Actually felt a bit for Stockley today as he was so isolated. He was no threat though. Forgot Fraser was playing for 20 minutes in the first half, and similarly with Morgan in the second. Wycombe kept up their pressure all game but lacked the quality to suggest to me they'll be up there in May. Not a bad point, but a bad game. 
  • Options
    Derby have scored 5 goals but are above us in the table. We need to stop conceding every game first and foremost if we want to compete for the playoffs.

We also need to move our average player position up about 30 yards. Building from the back is all well and dandy but it needs to be closer to the opposition half rather than the edge of our box.

Thought Rak Sakyi was dead on his feet torwards the end so not sure why Garner didn't get DJ on for 15-20mins.
  • Options
    edited August 2022
    SDAddick said:
    ross1 said:
    They were very average but last 30 minutes, a bit like Sheff Wednesday, We looked tired. Are our fitness coaches worse than Wycombes and Wednesday?
    Exhausted from Tuesday, what will happen Wednesday?

11 new players would be my guess. Maybe 10 if we think McG's price will go down if he's Pizza Cup tied. 
    We'll be fined if we make so many changes, with Sandgaard cost cutting I cant see that happening.

Dont forget something like 5 of the players used, need to have been involved already this season
    The fine is nothing though, it's 5k.

"7.6  Any EFL Club failing to meet the requirement to play Full Available Strength will be required to pay a fine of up to £5,000."

https://www.efl.com/papa-johns-trophy/the-competition/rules/
  • Options
    Still early days and some positives. We would have lost that last year. Done good and some bad! In all an improvement on last season. When I look at the league and though teams in this division I am not confident we will be good enough to force a playoff place and then win it. Over to our beloved owner then to decide what he wants or more pointedly, what he is prepared to do.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    As last season generally other teams seem fitter than us.

Take a point but if we had a good centre forward we could be higher in this pony league.
  • Options
    A fit Chuks would be useful at present at this level 
  • Options
    We should absolutely take that 5k fine if we want to  go anywhere this season. Didn’t watch but the players are tired I’m hearing
  • Options
    Not many teams will go there....
  • Options
    I don't want to derail this any further into turning into another transfer thread but I'm curious as to why people think replacing Stockley with another striker will suddenly bring lots of goals.

The bigger issue to me appears to be Kirk, he poses very little goal threat and a bit like today blows hot and cold far too much, we have enough of that with DJ. I think there is a player in there but just not in this system.

I also think Fraser is part of the problem Stockley is far too isolated and why he needs to drop deep so much. I can't argue about him arriving late on the box but the cynic in me is that is because he has a serious lack of mobility that stops him keeping up with play.

All this isn't to completely absolve Stockley, he has his limitations for sure and whilst I do think we should be signing another striker mainly to allow Stockley a rest once in a while and because we just can't rely on Chuks, I really do not see another centre forward suddenly transforming us into scoring 4 or 5 every week.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    RC_CAFC said:
    Jesus guys, we’ve just come away from last seasons play off finalists with a well deserved, well earned point. 

I’m reading a thread that looks like we’ve just lost our 3rd/4th game in row to relegation fodder.

It wasn’t a vintage performance or game but it was great effort against the ultimate football spoilers in the league.

Decision making in the final third definitely wasn’t at its sharpest. And I thought Kirk was just too predictable at times. Needs to show down the line sometimes just to mix his game up.

Don’t bother risking anyone important in the week and give them all a good rest ready for Bolton.
    Wycombe have lost to Exeter, Shrewsbury and Bolton already this season. 
  • Options
    Good away point vs a tough team

COYR