Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

POST-MATCH THREAD | Wycombe Wanderers V Charlton Athletic..Saturday 27th August 2022

Comments

• Options
    I'm not sure if someone had offered me a point before this game whether I'd have taken it. Given our fairly blunt attack, I feel like the realist would have, but this is the kind of game, like the Cambridge game, we need to win to try and keep pace. After watching, it just feels like points dropped against a team we absolutely could have beaten. The last two games have been incredibly frustrating to watch.

There positives to pull from. However, I can't get past how much I feel like some fresh options in attack would help mix it up. Teams know exactly what they are getting when Stockley is in the team. I don't think he is undroppable. I would happily throw in many of the players of the bench on for him, Kirk and Fraser for the next game. The whole squad need to be hungrier and grind out these results if they truly want to get out of this league this season.

I'm not doubting the effort, but I came away disappointed again. I want us to work harder to try and put teams away and get these points. There's plenty of things working against that (like these awful, awful L1 referees) but there's more this squad can do.

If there they can't, I'm praying that one element of our transfer business before the window that includes an additional option for Stockley. Probably going to be a long, stressful season either way!
  • Options
    A point away from home (or better obviously) is always good.

COYR
  • Options
    Garner says he’s looking to add in “1 or 2” areas.
    Hopefully a striker & a left footed centre back. O'Connell showed how awkward it can be trying to clear/play out with your right when playing on the left. 
  • Options
    We were much better than last season, which wasn’t that hard, and well worth a point. 

It was very hot, and I think Garner should have made four subs by the 60th minute. Fresh legs were definitely needed. For me, Leaburn for Stockley, Jaiyesimi for Kirk or Rak Sakyi, Payne for Fraser, and maybe Henry for Morgan. 
    Stockley’s had a decent start to the season, but his lack of pace was highlighted today. 
    Part of the problem with our play today was that when midfielders were running with the ball they didn’t have many options; a through ball for Stockley to run on to is a no-no, a ball to feet means Stockley’s facing away from the goal and can really only pass backwards or sideways at best, so it was Kirk and JRS providing the main outlets. 
    JRS was brilliant running with the ball today, and took his goal well, but his passing was hit and miss at best. 
    Kirk I thought was good, although many seem to disagree. His assist for the equaliser was excellent, and generally he puts the ball into dangerous areas. Rarely gives it away.
    I’m so disappointed with Payne. He was another who kept passing to the wrong side. In fact it felt like more passes went astray from the whole team today than in the rest of this season’s other games combined. Need to sort that out pronto.
    One positive was the way we didn’t fall back into all out defence for the last twenty minutes, like we have done so often for the last few years. In fact it felt a bit gung-ho at times. I’m certainly not writing off our season at this stage, although….

The next few days will be cru…….

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    the ground was like an oven today, if the pitch was anything near the temperature of the away end then the lack of/lateness of subs is very weird

Kirk was superb 1st half, if he can do 90 minutes of that he'll be a real force in this division

Dobbo outstanding- has a great knack of popping up just the right moment to break down attacks

ref was errm, interesting, I'm still shaking my head at the Rak Sakyi booking 
  • Options

• Options
    Was Stockley moaning because he wasn't being supported and was isolated?
  • Options
    2022/23 - 8-pts after five games
    2021/22 - 6-pts achieved after nine games | 9-pts achieved after eleven games.
    So we are better than a team that was in a  relegation battle for half the season & that finished 13th. 

Whoppee do..... 
    bore off
  • Options
    It was good to see the boss @AFKABartram and his boy in the boozer today.

• Options
    If you watch him any time anything goes wrong he throws his hands up in the air, I get the feeling it’s always someone else’s fault. 
  • Options
    Blucher said:

Although Fraser had a few nice touches, he was unable to exert a major influence.

I remain underwhelmed with his performances. For a player who was supposed to be a maestro, I still don’t think he has lived up to anywhere near his potential.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Hard to tell, probably a lot down to frustration both in his own performance and of those around him. Seems a very articulate and sensible guy when interviewed off the pitch, but every time I have seen him play, a real moaner on it. Can't help to build  the confidence of those around him, especially the young players who are only just finding their feet in the team. He certainly wouldn't have been my choice as Captain. 
  • Options
    Surely we have a precedent?  We could get Washington back for 300K.
  • Options
    Surely we have a precedent?  We could get Washington back for 300K.
    Or Omar Bogle who would actually suit this system a lot more 
  • Options
    swordfish said:
    Curbishley talks so much sense.  

If Sandgaard had the foresight get him in the fold rather than wasting his spot on acumen on Charlton TV it would likely pay huge dividends. 

Has forgotten more about Charlton and football than anyone currently involved in the club has or likely ever will.
    Sandgaard has already said we don't need experienced football people involved as running a football club is easy you just need to be smarter than everybody else  :D

Anyway who needs Curbs when you have Martin & the wife.
    Did he? I must have missed that.

Who were the experienced football people let go to make way for Martin and Raelynn?
    Obviously you did, there was a lot of fans suggesting that we need an experienced CEO & I'm not sure if he was asked by the press though I guess he must of been as he responded in the press with what I said in my post.

Did anybody make way for Martin & the wife ? Do we even know exactly what they do. Why are you suggesting that I even said that we let experienced football people go so that his family could move in ???
    I'm still not convinced he's ever actually said we don't need experienced football people involved. The point about appointing a qualified CEO is something I believe he should do, but he's clearly intent on effectively doing the job himself. He did suggest in one interview that he might at some point in the future, but it doesn't look to me as though he wants to relinquish complete control of the day to day decision making involved in running the Club.

As you say with Martin & Raelynn, who really knows exactly what they do? Many on here believe they exert a good deal of influence over what happens at the Club, so if their roles are that important, I was assuming that someone must have been doing whatever they do before they started doing it and wondered if you knew who, hence my question. If no one has been replaced by them, I guess their roles must be newly created.
  • Options
    One big take that's different from last season.

We would have lost this game. I think it's still early days..we need a striker before the window closes, a more athletic striker to challenge Stockley. Aneke seems to be a lost cause at this point unfortunately. 
  • Options
    DOUCHER said:
    WE NEED A PACEY CENTRE FORWARD - nothing else worth mentioning 
    You hated the last one
  • Options
    We miss a Washington type of player, end of. No wonder Stockley looks so isolated. Hopefully TS is aware. I think once this window slams shut we’ll have a better idea of how committed our owner really is. We desperately need support up front for Stockley. That’s the major missing link. I know, I know, it’s been beaten to death. But no harm in beating it a bit more!
    And of course, another CB.