Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

LIV Golf

More golfers have today announced they're joining the LIV tour, including most notably the Open champion Cam Smith.

Couldn't see a thread discussing LIV so thought I'd start one.

One of the other golfers joining the tour today is Harold Varner III who has put out the most honest statement I've seen so far from anyone who has made the decision to move on from the PGA.

Comments

• Everything about the LIV tour is ridiculous - just a circus. 
  • Gutted about Cameron Smith.

Next years majors are going to feel very strange 

Gutted?  Couldn't care less.  If he wants to help SA with their sportswashing, that's up to him.

Gutted?  Couldn't care less.  If he wants to help SA with their sportswashing, that's up to him.
    There are some awful characters amongst the LIV bunch....
  • Whatever your thoughts on LIV golf you can't really argue with this statement. By far the most honest statement i've seen from anyone moving over to it.

I feel that most (i know not all) people if given the opportunity would do the same.

Gutted in that I think he’s a quality player and the majors, which I love watching, will miss him and other players next year. 
  • Shotgun starts, 54 holes & no half way cuts is not a golf tournament. More akin to a Corporate day or exhibition match. 

Fully with McIlroy on this. Anyone who joins LIV shouldn't be able to play in any PGA or European Tour events......or even Open tournaments.

The whole thing is embarrassing and I can't see any audience for it.
  • Sponsored links:

Why? Former Major champions will be playing in them. 
  • European, Asian and sunshine tours keeping schtum as they know that they will pick up the LiV golfers when there’s no LIV event on. I mean Poulter played the Czech masters the other week ffs! I reckon there will be a co sanctioned event in less than a year. Probably with the Asian tour. 
  • edited August 2022
    Gutted about Cameron Smith.

I think "Open" mean that anyone can enter. I know The Open is not actually a sanctioned European Tour but not sure whether the US Open is sanction by the PGA or not. But The Masters, Sawgrass & The PGA Championship certainly are. 

I think "Open" mean that anyone can enter. I know The Open is not actually a sanctioned European Tour but not sure whether the US Open is sanction by the PGA or not. But The Masters, Sawgrass & The PGA Championship certainly are. 
    Mickleson played in this years us open after defecting. Also, former winners are invited back so expect to see mick, DJ and schwartzel playing at next years masters. And sawgrass isn’t a major 😜
  • European, Asian and sunshine tours keeping schtum as they know that they will pick up the LiV golfers when there’s no LIV event on. I mean Poulter played the Czech masters the other week ffs! I reckon there will be a co sanctioned event in less than a year. Probably with the Asian tour. 
    The LIV guys are only allowed to play on the European tour at the moment as Poulter won an injunction to play the Scottish Open. It's currently going through the courts (due to wrap up in February) so until then European Tour are powerless to stop LIV golfers playing in their events. 

Asian Tour is already in bed with LIV. They are now heavily backed by the Saudis, have linked with LIV to suggest LIV for ranking points and have created an International Series, which is a series of events on the Asian Tour that many of the LIV guys are playing in. 
    The LIV guys are only allowed to play on the European tour at the moment as Poulter won an injunction to play the Scottish Open. It's currently going through the courts (due to wrap up in February) so until then European Tour are powerless to stop LIV golfers playing in their events. 

Asian Tour is already in bed with LIV. They are now heavily backed by the Saudis, have linked with LIV to suggest LIV for ranking points and have created an International Series, which is a series of events on the Asian Tour that many of the LIV guys are playing in. 
    The LIV tour is just making a mockery of golf - ridiculous events that are more showbiz than sport. The Saudis have no interest in the game.

The victim mentality of some of the f***wits on the LIV tour is pretty embarrassing. It's obviously only about money.

I assume the Saudis will lose interest eventually.

The LIV tour is just making a mockery of golf - ridiculous events that are more showbiz than sport. The Saudis have no interest in the game.

The victim mentality of some of the f***wits on the LIV tour is pretty embarrassing. It's obviously only about money.

I agree with you……but have you seen the Tiger and Rory backed response to the Liv format that is meant to sex ‘normal’ golf up a bit?

https://amp.cnn.com/cnn/2022/08/25/sport/tiger-woods-rory-mcilroy-tgl-golf-spt-intl/index.html

Looks even more cringe inducing than Liv. 

I agree with you……but have you seen the Tiger and Rory backed response to the Liv format that is meant to sex ‘normal’ golf up a bit?

https://amp.cnn.com/cnn/2022/08/25/sport/tiger-woods-rory-mcilroy-tgl-golf-spt-intl/index.html

Looks even more cringe inducing than Liv. 
    Every sport is dumbing down...

Completely agree with you. Was just spelling out why LIV golfers are still allowed to appear on the European Tour. 

I dislike LIV hugely, but I'm not too bothered about some of the players who have admitted they have gone for cash and just left it at that. I have serious issues with the likes of Poulter, Reed, Gooch etc who are trying to have their cake and eat it - suing the PGA and DP world tours, making all sorts of inflammatory comments etc while claiming that LIV is all about growing the game. Absolute t**ts.
  • So, the players who made up the field in the first couple of LIV tournaments - what happened to them once more 'named' players joined the tour. Do they just not get to play anymore ?
  • Sponsored links:

• There is a stack of money on the PGA tour in America some of their tournaments have hideous amounts of cash in them.

I often watch the tournaments on sky and observe players i have never heard of. When i google them they are multi millionaires who have never won a tournament.

The reason to leave is obvious, the money get lucky in a short tournament and that's you done for life.
  • The whole thing stinks to high heaven to me. I have no problem with guys, especially those nearing the end of their competitive days, leaving for a bucket load of money so long as they are open about that being the reason and they can live with their own consciences about the source of the funding. But I do object to them then deciding to play the victim against the PGA and European tours. You’ve made your bed lads now eff off and lie in it. However, the PGA tour’s response (the DP World aka European tour is an increasing irrelevance) is to make their own product even more obscene in terms of prize money and bribe money for it’s already fantastically wealthy leading players. So much so that my desire to watch any of it any more is seriously on the wane. There will be little good coming out of any of this I’m afraid. To my mind LIV is just a souped up exhibition. I’ve watched a little of each of the four tournaments so far, the first couple out of sheer curiosity, the third as I was ill and bored and about 20 minutes of the latest round before I got fed up and switched off. I have little interest in watching multi millionaires playing events that have no gravitas for zillions in dodgy money. The team element is a nonsense and all the guff about growing the game and spending more time with their families is insulting to the intelligence and in pretty bad taste given the state of the world. But good luck to them. I’d like to think in their shoes my conscience would get the better of me but in reality I doubt that many of us would turn it down. More interesting is the fate of the 19 players who played the first LIV event and who have now been dumped because bigger names have joined up. The likes  of Larrazabal (a pretty dislikable oik of limited talent) now find themselves out on their ears and not wanted back on their mother tours. I hope the £300k he earned from his brief sojourn with LIV was worth it. And who the hell is Andy Ogletree anyway?  I expect he’s ogling trees cos he sure as shit isn’t playing professional golf anywhere anytime soon. The Presidents and Ryder cups will be devalued  and it remains to be seen whether civil wars will break out around the four Majors who may ban LIV players at the risk of devaluing their own events and legacy or let them play and risk the wrath of the players who have remained. One way or another, it can’t end well for professional golf. The damage has been well and truly done. 

• Can somebody please lay down the objection to Saudi money/sports washing for me please?

And yeah, it seems a no brainer not to let LIV golfers play in PGA major (well... any and all) events.
  • Can somebody please lay down the objection to Saudi money/sports washing for me please?

And yeah, it seems a no brainer not to let LIV golfers play in PGA major (well... any and all) events.
    I don’t really understand ‘sports washing’. For example, Just because Saudis own Newcastle it doesn’t make me feel any more or less positive about the country than before. 

Again for me, This is just another golf tour, I don’t think of it as the Saudi golf tour, just the LIV tour - players have right to go earn their money where they want.
    bit like jumping ship from European tour to play in America.  

• MrOneLung said:
    Can somebody please lay down the objection to Saudi money/sports washing for me please?

I don’t really understand ‘sports washing’. For example, Just because Saudis own Newcastle it doesn’t make me feel any more or less positive about the country than before. 

Again for me, This is just another golf tour, I don’t think of it as the Saudi golf tour, just the LIV tour - players have right to go earn their money where they want.

LIV is not like any other tour - it has little to do with golf and more to do with PR for the Saudis. It has little to do with integrity - players have already been dumped as bigger names come along.

The economics are insane and there seems to be little or no audience for it. I assume the Saudis will lose interest at some point.

• MrOneLung said:
    Can somebody please lay down the objection to Saudi money/sports washing for me please?

LIV is not like any other tour - it has little to do with golf and more to do with PR for the Saudis. It has little to do with integrity - players have already been dumped as bigger names come along.

The economics are insane and there seems to be little or no audience for it. I assume the Saudis will lose interest at some point.

The players haven’t been dumped as such. They will be on retainers and would have known exactly what their fate would be when the bigger names joined. The likes of Blake Windred will be on a nice retainer, with the option of being able to play on the Asian and Australian PGA tour. He might even get another crack at a LiV event!
  • There is a stack of money on the PGA tour in America some of their tournaments have hideous amounts of cash in them.

I often watch the tournaments on sky and observe players i have never heard of. When i google them they are multi millionaires who have never won a tournament.

The reason to leave is obvious, the money get lucky in a short tournament and that's you done for life.
    some of the names are brilliant 

Bronson Burgoon being being one of my faves 
  • We are not the target audience for LIV golf.

It is aimed at CEOs and billionaires with a view to making Saudi Arabia a new UAE.

It's just a small part of this and all the players are little puppets in it - https://www.vision2030.gov.sa/
  • MrOneLung said:

If it helps, my view is that it's the golfing equivalent of the European Super League (or even the creation of the Premier League).

Established by odious people for odious people, without reference to any of the traditions or history of what made the sport great, expecting to skim off the lion's share of TV revenues in the future, with little or no real concern for the grassroots sport.

Obviously, there are some odious people in the existing structures, but you retain the hope that the structures will themselves limit their abilities to feck the sport you love up.
  • MrOneLung said:

The players haven’t been dumped as such. They will be on retainers and would have known exactly what their fate would be when the bigger names joined. The likes of Blake Windred will be on a nice retainer, with the option of being able to play on the Asian and Australian PGA tour. He might even get another crack at a LiV event!
    It's run like an exhibition for PR purposes - can't see how the model will continue. The economics don't make sense and it is not a true competitive structure.

It won't do golf any good in the long term but it will benefit certain players financially.