Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

LIV Golf

Comments

• Options
    The Saudis are chucking money at lots of different things as part of there 'project2030'. Never been treated so well as when I got invited to go over and paint a mural last year. 
  • Options
    I'm not a huge golf follower,  but am I right in assuming any golfer that stayed loyal to the PGA Tour & refused the dirty Liv Golf money has been shafted?
    Looks that way 
  • Options
    I'm not a huge golf follower,  but am I right in assuming any golfer that stayed loyal to the PGA Tour & refused the dirty Liv Golf money has been shafted?
    Yep - and were also not consulted, finding out on Twitter.

They are not happy and it wouldn't surprise me if there was a backlash from the previously loyal PGA/DP guys. 
  • Options
    edited June 2023

… And ironically they will be offered hush money – Saudi Arabian money.

Jay Monahan is an absolute sleaze ball, hiding behind Rory McIlroy, Collin Morikawa, Justin Thomas etc – even broadcasting 9/11 families’ views – then he does a full U-turn. It’s like something in the old WWF v WCW battles.

I think the PIF realise LIV is a broken/unsuccessful model and have made the PGA Tour and Monahan an offer they couldn’t refuse. Especially given the Tour are now paying out tens of millions in extra prize funds (which their partners can’t entirely cover) and were looking at a long, expensive legal battle against the Saudis.

Or maybe this was the PIF’s plan all along. Golf and the players were always mere pawns, and after bleeding the PGA Tour of money Yasir now gets to cosy up with Coca Cola, AT&T, Fed-Ex etc. They get to be a new UAE and do it all with money, rather than improving their human rights.

What a mess.

• Options
    RedPanda said:

Jay Monahan is an absolute sleaze ball, hiding behind Rory McIlroy, Collin Morikawa, Justin Thomas etc – even broadcasting 9/11 families’ views – then he does a full U-turn. It’s like something in the old WWF v WCW battles.

I think the PIF realise LIV is a broken/unsuccessful model and have made the PGA Tour and Monahan an offer they couldn’t refuse. Especially given the Tour are now paying out tens of millions in extra prize funds (which their partners can’t entirely cover) and were looking at a long, expensive legal battle against the Saudis.

Or maybe this was the PIF’s plan all along. Golf and the players were always mere pawns, and after bleeding the PGA Tour of money Yasir now gets to cosy up with Coca Cola, AT&T, Fed-Ex etc. They get to be a new UAE and do it all with money, rather than improving their human rights.

What a mess.

Are we to assume that he will have pocketed money for himself out of this deal?

ie. is it as simple as saying that the Saudi money was really bad and the worst thing ever when it was for a select bunch of golfers, but when the PGA bosses were offered a slice it became a different story?
  • Options
    RedPanda said:

What a mess.

Are we to assume that he will have pocketed money for himself out of this deal?

ie. is it as simple as saying that the Saudi money was really bad and the worst thing ever when it was for a select bunch of golfers, but when the PGA bosses were offered a slice it became a different story?

The Saudis offered Monahan meetings and therefore money a couple of years ago but he insisted LIV wasn’t a threat, basically ignoring it.

Then when it appeared as a threat he took the moral high ground, saying things like “Have you ever had to apologize for being a member of the PGA TOUR?”

He will be doing really well out of this financially, whilst sort of killing off the competition.

It is so subjective at this point, you could argue both sides of who ‘won’ and you wouldn’t be wrong.

• Options
    shine166 said:
    The Saudis are chucking money at lots of different things as part of there 'project2030'. Never been treated so well as when I got invited to go over and paint a mural last year. 
    Probably get your hands cut off if you didn’t do a god job. 
  • Options
    Rory turned down over £400m last year, only to join for free.
  • Options
    How will he ever survive with that third yacht?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I saw something on twitter where someone said Rory and Tiger will be rewarded for staying so assume they will get some money / bonus of some sort, it doesn't really compensate i reckon, but it's better than nothing and a token gesture i assume. 
  • Options
    I saw something on twitter where someone said Rory and Tiger will be rewarded for staying so assume they will get some money / bonus of some sort, it doesn't really compensate i reckon, but it's better than nothing and a token gesture i assume. 
    How do you compensate the unimaginably rich?  Bar to compensate Rory for the fact that he now feels an utter tit who has been royally shafted. I’m sure he’ll get over it but I’m not sure I like professional golf any more. 
  • Options
    How do you compensate the unimaginably rich?  Bar to compensate Rory for the fact that he now feels an utter tit who has been royally shafted. I’m sure he’ll get over it but I’m not sure I like professional golf any more. 
    It's a fair point, i am not sure. I assume they will some way but it won't really make much difference but its probably just a gesture of good will here have 10 million / x amount, or maybe they are just going to be the front of the sport so better sponsorship opportunities? who knows
  • Options
    Tiger allegedly a billion!
  • Options
    Just seen the press conference Rory did yesterday before the start of the Canadian Open. I love that guy. Straight talking & passionate. Says what he thinks without reverting to slagging off anyone. Still feels that the LIV golfers should do some form of penance (my words) and shouldn't just be allowed to rejoin the tours. 

Basically it's not a merger between LIV & the PGA/DP World tours. It's the 2 main tours with Arab money. Rory acknowledges that there might be team events that he is obligated to participate in but at the end of the day it's good for golf that Arab money is "sponsoring" world golf. 
  • Options
    Like many sports golf is becoming increasingly disgusting.
  • Options
    Just seen the press conference Rory did yesterday before the start of the Canadian Open. I love that guy. Straight talking & passionate. Says what he thinks without reverting to slagging off anyone. Still feels that the LIV golfers should do some form of penance (my words) and shouldn't just be allowed to rejoin the tours. 

Basically it's not a merger between LIV & the PGA/DP World tours. It's the 2 main tours with Arab money. Rory acknowledges that there might be team events that he is obligated to participate in but at the end of the day it's good for golf that Arab money is "sponsoring" world golf. 
    I liked the bit on the second part where he said ' I still hate LIV'
  • Options
    If you don’t sell yourself out, someone else will do it for you.
  • Options
    The merger may well run foul of anti-trust laws in the US and monopoly laws EU.

Both the PGA and LIV were litigating against each other on precisely that sort of issue prior to this week's announcement.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Hope that reporter doesnt get invited to do an 'interview' at their embassy.....
  • Options
    A lot of professional sport is becoming morally bankrupt.
  • Options
    Sportswashing doesn’t work. 

The only time I hear people moaning about Saudi Arabia is when discussing their involvement in sport. It highlights their regime rather than validates it. 
  • Options
    Jon Rahm due to be announced as latest to join LIV golf 
  • Options
    Gutted about this 
  • Options
    Golf is slowly eating itself sad to say. 
  • Options
    Personally think he is taking the 300m knowing they are probably merge in a year anyway
  • Options
    Playing golf in a country that is anti women's rights and run by religious nutters is madness.

No wonder he has left the PGA
  • Options
    We’re all saints when it suits us. None of us will ever be in a position to receive generational wealth for knocking a ball around. So moralising about this is easy. And undoubtedly Rahm is in a position to cock a snook at the PGA which is now seeing a bigger kid come into its own playground and bully it just as it did a few decades ago. So what goes around comes around. What does just stick in my gullet though is the crass hypocrisy of it all -  “team golf excites me”, “spend more time with my family” yadda yadda. Just come out and say I’m doing it for the earth shattering money and bollox to what any of the rest of you think. In a perverse way I’d almost admire that. Listening to washed up has beens like McDowell and Westwood spouting the ludicrous party line is beyond sick making. Charles Varner 3 is the only one who has stood up and said “I’m doing for the cash”. Between LIV with its gratuitous wealth, cringeworthy presentation etc and the USPGA with the deceitful cretin Monahan at its head, the professional game is ripping its own reputation a new a’hole. Even dear old Rory, the bastion of decency and the status quo thus far, is now slowly changing his tune on Ryder Cup criteria now that his mate Rambo has foxtrot Oscared to the dark side. Look out for Cantley and Shaufele jumping next.  And now club golfers will have to chuck away all those balls they’ve collected and. Lake ball companies will go out of business just because a few hundred guys at the elite end hit it too far. And don’t start me on declining standards of behaviour and etiquette.  Golf is in a state. The great game that has brought me so much pleasure since my early childhood is now denied me due to disability and circumstances but I honestly lament for its future. 
  • Options
    Well said.